Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

SunAndSpring posted:

I wonder if that respec option is for all difficulties or if it'll be locked off for Path of the Damned or Expert Mode or something.

I'm betting it won't be available in the Expert Mode. PotD just changes encounters, not rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh good, a respec option. Screw all of those crazies who insist that re-rolling the entire game should be the only way to fix a single mistake during leveling up.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Was it ComicCon or GameCon when we're supposed to get more details on The White March (like a release date) ? When is/was it?

I figure September for the release date, that'd be 6 months after the original release and that sounds like a good number.

E:

evilmiera posted:

Good thing I'm going back to Uni soon or I'd be worrying how I could hold out until this is released. After Triple Crown Solo I wasn't sure how I could keep challenging myself, beyond switching classes of course. Maybe try it with a monk or other tough class like ranger?

Which guide did you follow? I've watched about half of Sebastian Orth's Rogue run and it seemed doable.

Does it work to copy your save and copy it back if you die (I realize this is cheating, I'm just asking for a friend) ?

Furism fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 16, 2015

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Skippy McPants posted:

Oh good, a respec option. Screw all of those crazies who insist that re-rolling the entire game should be the only way to fix a single mistake during leveling up.
Ahh a Sawyerist I see. How dare you want to enjoy your game and not be punished for being too dumb not to make a crappy character. You should always have to restart from the beginning if you want to try different things.

Edit: heh first comment on that message 'Make it a one time feature upon venturing into the expansion areas...otherwise it might be disastrous' oh no. Disaster! Someone might use the respec option more than I approve of.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 16, 2015

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I can get why you wouldn't have something like that in a roguelike, since the game is intended to be played multiple times, but for a monolithic 80+ RPG? Not so much. Finding out twenty hours in that you mistook estocs for a type of greatsword and now you're hosed, or that you're locked out of using an awesome new weapon you didn't even know existed because of a choice you made seven levels ago... That just flat out sucks. What confuses me even more are the people who actively campaign against adding such a feature. As if the mere thought of other people using it somehow detracted from their own fun.

I guess what I'm getting at is that gamers are all toxic psychopaths, and nobody should ever listen to us when it comes to game design, because our ideas are always terrible.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah I'll never understand some people's emotional attachment to changes in single player games. Some of the feedback on adding accuracy to perception has been really out of touch with reality.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Yeah I'll never understand some people's emotional attachment to changes in single player games. Some of the feedback on adding accuracy to perception has been really out of touch with reality.

Designer: We don't really like that Perception is universal dump stat, so we're thinking about adding an accuracy bonus to it. in the expansion.

Player: What the gently caress?! That totally makes finely tuned murder-blender marginally less optimized. Why would you do this, you monsters!

Designer: Okay, okay, but don't worry; we're also adding a respec option, so you'll be able to adjust as needed.

Player Nooooooooo!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

In related news: I think I've been reading too many posts on the official PoE forums.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
They really don't like balance in a single-player game at all, which is really weird. Like, shouldn't all the classes and builds be fun to play? I know whenever I play Diablo 2, I avoid playing the Barbarian. I'd love to play the Barbarian, but at a certain point the poor bastard falls off so hard compared to many of the other classes that it becomes boring to play him and I start wanting to play literally any of the other classes. It's such a weird mind-set that they have. I guess OP poo poo can be really fun, like in Morrowind and Arcanum where you can just bust the game's difficulty curve in half nearly right off the bat, but those games tended to give every playstyle a fun OP thing rather than D&D games, which just hoisted all the fun poo poo on the casters.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I have instinctive dislike of respec systems which I think is partially:

1.) I'm a grumpy grog, the more ~serious~ an RPG is the more I dislike it. Fine in Diablo, questionable in PoE.
2.) My ~immersion~
3.) The game should be balanced enough that all builds are fun and cool and you don't need to respec (should also come with free ponies and wash your dishes)

But I recognize my reaction is a weird emotional one and shouldn't have any impact on how games are designed. Adding a respec system is cool. I hope people enjoy it and they have more fun with the game. I can just not push that button. :shobon:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Fintilgin posted:

I have instinctive dislike of respec systems which I think is partially:
It's alright to have irrational preferences we all do. But a totally optional unobtrusive system for those that want it is as inoffensive as it gets. It's people getting upset over the notion that other people might be playing their single player game wrong is the funny thing here.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Darkhold posted:

It's alright to have irrational preferences we all do. But a totally optional unobtrusive system for those that want it is as inoffensive as it gets. It's people getting upset over the notion that other people might be playing their single player game wrong is the funny thing here.

I was gonna say that stat respeccing combined with dialogue stat-gating could make the game less fun, but then I realized the stat-gating is already so broken and meaningless it doesn't matter, since the solution to everything is "bed, prostitute, magic/items before talking to people" and there's basically no stat challenge you can fail.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Most stat checks don't lead to anything special anyway, they're just flavor options or a short cut in dialog. Occassionally a few "avoid combat" checks but who cares about those, using those always leaves me in a "DID I MISS SOME SPECIAL LOOT THOUGH?" fugue that I avoid them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GlyphGryph posted:

I was gonna say that stat respeccing combined with dialogue stat-gating could make the game less fun, but then I realized the stat-gating is already so broken and meaningless it doesn't matter, since the solution to everything is "bed, prostitute, magic/items before talking to people" and there's basically no stat challenge you can fail.
:psyduck: uh ok. I submit if you're such a sperg you respec and buff for conversation checks you're the one ruining the game for yourself.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Jesus do people actually do that?
Do they even...enjoy games?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Retraining costs money in game proportional to the retraining character's level and you are rebuilding every single level. It's a relatively laborious/time-consuming process so I don't think many people will be retraining six or seven times in a single game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Everybody has irrational aversions to things. If someone, even someone I'm dating, puts their feet on the pillow I sleep on, holy poo poo that drives me nuts. That's essentially putting the floor in your mouth!!!!!! :mad:

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

precision posted:

Everybody has irrational aversions to things. If someone, even someone I'm dating, puts their feet on the pillow I sleep on, holy poo poo that drives me nuts. That's essentially putting the floor in your mouth!!!!!! :mad:

This is not irrational, I'm with you there.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

rope kid posted:

Retraining costs money in game proportional to the retraining character's level and you are rebuilding every single level. It's a relatively laborious/time-consuming process so I don't think many people will be retraining six or seven times in a single game.

What else are we going to spend gold on? The fortress?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I was one of the people who didn't care much that you couldn't retrain in the vanilla game, only because there's really no "wrong way" to build a character - only sub-par choices at worst. You couldn't really gimp your build unless you were really, really dumb. It wasn't game breaking. But I'm glad we'll have that choice in 2.0 because I agree it's better to be able to just rebuild from scratch.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Darkhold posted:

:psyduck: uh ok. I submit if you're such a sperg you respec and buff for conversation checks you're the one ruining the game for yourself.

Most players will, when offered a path that results in better rewards or one that is more fun, take the one that offers higher rewards. It's why games have "Iron Man Mode" as an actual option rather than something a player just says they will do. Part of game design is avoiding offering mechanically superior but ultimately less fun choices to your player, because human psychology is good at trumping human enjoyment.

Most people recognize this, and try to put up walls between them and the optimal choice by considering it "outside the rules", "cheating", or otherwise "unacceptable". Those arguments and justifications they use to prevent themselves from doing things that are less fun don't hold up so well when a game offers them as a valid and accepted option, unless you have an active meta-game powerful enough to discourage them (see: nuzlocke runs and noob tubes), which PoE does not. Even players who can and do choose to avoid an optimal strategy for the purposes of fun will often feel slightly less happy that they have to even make that choice and forego an obvious advantage.

And we're talking a genre where this sort of attitude seems exceptionally common.

So good design (which they seem to be doing here), will find a way to allow players to more easily justify pursuing an obviously sub-optimal strategy.

It's not much to say something like completely unlimited respeccing can be bad for a game, depending on the context.

I think the PoE guys will handle it fine though. I'll be glad to see it, because I'd love to do more experimenting with builds. But there's definitely a risk for perverse incentives which PoE has otherwise done a rather good job at avoiding.

precision posted:

I have an irrational aversion to people who have an irrational aversion to this. :mad: :v:

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 16, 2015

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So what is and isn't covered by the respec option? I would guess race, class, culture and background are set in stone while skills, abilities and talents can be changed. I'm guessing attributes can't be changed as you can't retrain someone to be taller.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

I'd be happy if the character creation was locked in stone while respeccing let you go through the level up screens again, but I guess technically the first level up screen is included in character creation.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

precision posted:

Oh please like you haven't ever eaten food you've dropped on the floor

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Krowley posted:

Oh please like you haven't ever eaten food you've dropped on the floor

Are you saying there are people who don't?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

People who have dogs that shed a lot? Only thing I can think of.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Ugh I bet you people wear shoes inside your house too

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Skippy McPants posted:

I can get why you wouldn't have something like that in a roguelike, since the game is intended to be played multiple times, but for a monolithic 80+ RPG? Not so much. Finding out twenty hours in that you mistook estocs for a type of greatsword and now you're hosed, or that you're locked out of using an awesome new weapon you didn't even know existed because of a choice you made seven levels ago... That just flat out sucks. What confuses me even more are the people who actively campaign against adding such a feature. As if the mere thought of other people using it somehow detracted from their own fun.

I guess what I'm getting at is that gamers are all toxic psychopaths, and nobody should ever listen to us when it comes to game design, because our ideas are always terrible.

I don't see why you need to invalidate your earlier choices because of a cool sword you want to use now or whatever, that's pretty silly. You can make any build work if you're good.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Jesus do people actually do that?
Do they even...enjoy games?

There's a mod for that.

Depends on how wet the food is. Is there a sauce? Not eating floor sauce. Or foot sauce.

On the other hand, it's just games, so why not have the option available?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

So what is and isn't covered by the respec option? I would guess race, class, culture and background are set in stone while skills, abilities and talents can be changed. I'm guessing attributes can't be changed as you can't retrain someone to be taller.
Attributes are covered since that's one of the things people are likely to want to change due to Perception now (in patch 2.0) modifying Accuracy instead of Deflection.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

rope kid posted:

I suppose the best way is just save before you respec and try a couple different builds in the same area before making up your mind.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

GlyphGryph posted:

Most players will, when offered a path that results in better rewards or one that is more fun, take the one that offers higher rewards. It's why games have "Iron Man Mode" as an actual option rather than something a player just says they will do. Part of game design is avoiding offering mechanically superior but ultimately less fun choices to your player, because human psychology is good at trumping human enjoyment.
I'm well aware of the phenomenon already. But there reaches a point where the average player can't be bothered. Buffing before conversations and respeccing for stat checks is one of those things that the vast majority of players won't bother with and that tiny final percent would just gently caress their game up some other way by reloading 99 times each time they open a chest or whatever and just aren't worth worrying about.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

rope kid posted:

How much money it'd cost for a level 12 character? Also is this only available for the Watcher/self-made adventurers, or is it open to premade companions also? And if companions can respec than can they respec attributes too?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkhold posted:

Buffing before conversations and respeccing for stat checks is one of those things that the vast majority of players won't bother with

Like I guess I'd buff my CHA if it let me solve that unsolvable Ogre Island quest in Arcanum or something, but otherwise.... god... :effort:

Just gonna play the game.

Of course, I'm also the sort who winds up with my inventory jammed full of potions, scrolls, and crafting poo poo, because I'm saving it for when I really need it. I think, over the course of the entire game, I used one food dish on the very first wilderness map of the game, when I was a solo dude to beat the wolves.

Fintilgin posted:

I suppose I could use one ironskin potion while fighting Tyranthraxus the Dark Dragon Lord, but... ugh... I dunno... if I can beat him without it I would have wasted it... :sigh:

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
You need to play more roguelikes to condition yourself that using consumeables is a good thing.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

In related news: I think I've been reading too many posts on the official PoE forums.
Well, you're not imitating Gromnir.... Luckman maybe?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/621781278849798144

I dunno, I still kinda feel all the stronghold bonuses should stack? That way it's kinda a small general bonus to everything, and doesn't overlap with the role of inns for high bonuses to a specific stat or two.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is the drinking horn of moderation fixed yet? i havent played since march.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/621781278849798144

I dunno, I still kinda feel all the stronghold bonuses should stack? That way it's kinda a small general bonus to everything, and doesn't overlap with the role of inns for high bonuses to a specific stat or two.
I'm also retuning the inn bonuses so they almost all grant multiple benefits at lower value.

e: And not only skill/attribute bonuses.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The respec thing doesn't matter anyway since at least half of the players will start a fresh character for the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015
So, now that you can retrain, are you still having epics ignore player weapon spec/focus choices?

• Locked thread