Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

WarLocke posted:

So I'm watching this Josh Sawyer interview and some of the stuff they talk about in regards to class 'feelings' at around the 35-minute mark really sound cool.

He basically says "So, what, exactly, is a Barbarian? Well in this game a Barbarian is a guy who specializes in cutting up lots of guys at once and gets abilities to make that happen". I'm paraphrasing, but that was the gist. BUT. Not necessarily a Conan style barbarian - not necessarily the spittle-foaming berserker type. He could just as easily be a cold calculating dead-eyed veteran warrior. If you'll excuse the example, in PoI it sounds like the king of mary sues (Drizzt) would be a barbarian and not a ranger.

Chanters are guys that chant. Could be a little monkish dude or it could be this huge nordic skald guy singing a death dirge while wading into battle. Maybe some sort of Blind Zen Archery Master that chants while shooting guys in the eyeballs. Who knows?

I'm wishing I had followed this game more closely before now, I'm getting kind of hyped.
Didn't listen. Was too distracted by the typo on the loading screen at 1:21:45.

"Disenagement Attack"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

zedprime posted:

You could take a page from Durance and use a synonym for your highest attribute assignment.
Uscle the Wise

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Cliff Fireball
Hunk Sparklerod
Buff Illusia
Flint Spellbuckle
Butch MacRacadabra
Dirk Featherboots
Brock de Spell
David Copperfield
Slate Arcanumus
Hack Leyline

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

9am PTSD

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

AXE COP posted:

ONE DOZEN STOOD AGAINST THE POWER OF THE SAINT
Gotta love how grand and important they've made the Saint's War sound in all these little details. It's like Robert Rebellion in Game of Thrones.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Is the Big portrait + Small portrait still a thing or is that old info?

And which directory do I put them in?

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 26, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Thanks

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Always surround your enemies. It gives them flanked debuff which allows rogue sneak attacks and makes them easier to hit.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

I have a barbarian in full plate and she tanks just fine. I had her suckerpunch one of Raedric's wizards while Eder and rest of the party handled the other one.

Frontline position gives the best cleaves, too, and Eder can make sure she's not completely swamped.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Found another critical bug.

If you murder Calisca, but not the rest of the caravan, you don't get to gloat about it to her sister.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Crossbow (Slow) = 8 hits per minute
War Bow (Avg) = 15 hist per minute
Hunting Bow (Fast) = 22 per minute (Josh said description needs updating, it says "Average)

Rapier (Fast) = 33 hpm
Dagger, Flail, Torch (Fast) = 31 hpm
Sword, Battleaxe (Average) = 22 hpm

Great Sword, Quarterstaff, Pike, Estoc (Slow) = 22 hpm

Can someone explain why Fast Hunting bow is the same speed as Average 1-handed Sword and Slow 2-handed Great Sword?

This is making comparing things pretty drat obtuse.

On the other hand, I realized that torch is actually competitive with other weapons due to it's +10% burning lash. Might have to start using it.

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 31, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

2-Handed (Slow)
Hits per minute: 22
Average dmg: 20.5
DPS: 7.52

1-Handed (Average)
Hits per minute: 22
Average dmg: 13.5
DPS: 4.95
DPS with accuracy bonus: 5.84
(+12 Accuracy, each point of Accuracy gives 3 better results on the d100, each better result being 0.5x damage increase. In total a +18% increase)

1-Handed (Fast)
Hits per minute: 31
Average dmg: 10
DPS: 5.17
DPS with accuracy bonus: 6.10

2 Weapon Style (Average+Average)
HPM: 29
Dmg: 13.5
DPS: 6.53

2 Weapon Style (Average+Fast)
HPM: 36
Dmg: 11.75
DPS: 7.05

2 Weapon Style (Fast+Fast)
HPM: 44
Dmg: 10
DPS: 7.33

2-Handed weapons are the clear winner, since they do the best DPS and highest single hit damage, which is good against armor.

If we assume the enemy has Damage Reduction of 5, the DPS numbers look like this:

2-Handed: 5.68

1-H (avg) : 3.12 (3.68)
1-H (fast) : 2.58 (3.04)

2-W (avg) : 4.11
2-W (mix) : 4.05
2-W (fast) : 3.67

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Protip:
If you cancel arquebus/crossbow/whatevs reload animation, it'll continue where it left off instead of making your dude start all over again.

So feel free to kite.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

sizuka2 posted:

... huh. What's Shot on the Run do, then? Utility talent that claims it reduces the movement penalty to reloading.
Probably lets you reload at full speed even while running. Rather than at... well... whatever 10%ish speed they reload while running without the talent, I guess.

Wait, are you sure it's removing reload penalty and not recovery penalty?

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

sizuka2 posted:

No, I'm not sure. That's the description, though. "+25% ranged recovery when moving", which kind of implies that you keep reloading even when running away?

In practice, it looks like the character waits until the delay is out, then waits for you to stop moving and then plays the reload animation. Current working theory is that shooting causes a penalty, moving adds to that penalty or makes it decline slower, and shot on the run reduces or removes the moving malus.
What you have there is a talent for regular bow.

Recovery time is the yellow bar that appears on under your HP after every attack/action/spell/interrupt. Reload is a completely different thing for crossbows and guns only. And since crossbow/gun reload time is as long as its attack time and recovery time combined... that means you're getting only half as much use of that talent as you would with a hunting or war bow.

You can test this by turning on god mode and checking "Disable Party Movement Stop on Engagement" in the options. Then just crossbow someone and start running.

You'll notice that the yellow bar disappears pretty quickly while running, but no matter how far you go, when you turn to face the enemy, you'll still have to do a full reload before you can shoot your crossbow.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Has anyone tried the Disappointer on some big boss? I bet it'll one-shot the final boss... or maybe one in the Darkest Dungeon...

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Just realized the Barbarian's frenzy doesn't actually hide your Endurance if you're using the "Show Party Endurance as Numbers" option under graphics.

e:

KPC_Mammon posted:

Shouldn't it be the opposite, from a game balance perspective? Since faster weapons are impacted by armor more than heavy weapons and tend to not benefit as much from encounter abilities, shouldn't they have higher base dps?
I guess the Fast 2-Weapon style is meant to maximize your Interrupt chances since it gives you twice as many attacks as a 2-Hander or a single 1-Hander.

Bonus portrait:

e2: source: http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1400/54/1400546025696.jpg

DeepQantas fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 1, 2015

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

esquilax posted:

Eder - Plate mail and hatchet/shield
Everyone else - Arbalest and no armor/padded armor
For Arbalests and other reloading weapons the recovery time is one quarter of the total time per shot. If you have a gunner in full plate that listed -50% to recovery speed is effectively just -12.5% to your total attack speed.

So no need to skimp and go super light, I think...

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Azran posted:

It's an old post, I know, but this thread moves fast and I wanted to ask a question: what are you using to make it so neatly looking? I try to use IrfanView and Windows Resizer and unless I let it keep the aspect ratio (changing the width to something less than 330) it looks fugly :(
Irfanview works great for quick resizing.

1) Crop a wide horizontal strip that shows both the top of the head and something like the chest or waist at the bottom. Don't worry about the sides.
2) Resize the image so it has the right height (330). Keep aspect ratio so it doesn't get squished.
3) Now crop it so it has the right width as well (210)
4) Save as "male_coolface_lg.png"

If step 3 crops some neat detail on the side you wanted to include, start over and make the picture taller this time.

5) Start over from the original image
6) Crop the horizontal strip the same way, but only showing face this time
7) Resize to right height (96)
8) Crop to right width (76)
9) Save as "male_coolface_sm.png"

esquilax posted:

I've never seen those numbers or math you're using but if it doubled the time of 1/4 of your full attack sequence, it would be a 20% decrease in attack speed. Twice as long for 1/4 of the full attack means a 25% increase in time taken for the full sequence, which means 4 attacks instead of 5 over a long period of time. Mitigated a bit by the fact that the first attack is an alpha strike, but in long battles it should even out to there.

The reduction would be even greater if you have the chant and talent that reduce reloading time more than they reduce recovery time

It's probably not worth it since ranged characters don't take damage at all in 95% of battles. The extra 8 DR or so they get from plate over padded might buy you an extra hit or three to escape, but the trade off there is fairly one-sided.
Haha. You're right about the math and I've been doing it the wrong way around...

But the weird thing is, despite all that my tests all show that Arquebus gets only about -10% speed going from naked to brigandine (listed as -50% recovery time)...

Dex 10
No armor: 12 shots in 2 minutes
Brigandine: 11 shots in 2 minutes
(-8% change)

Dex 27 (+51% action speed)
No armor: 17 shots in 2 minutes
Brigandine: 15 shots in 2 minutes
(-12% change)

Dex 43 (+99% action speed)
No armor: 22 shots in 2 minutes
Brigandine: 20 shots in 2 minutes
(-9% change)

Likewise the Greatsword only goes from 22 hits to 17 hits (-23% with Dex 10) and 39 hits to 31 hits (-21% with Dex 43) when it should logically be -50% when the recovery time doubles...

The heck is going on? Is the recovery time actually much shorter than the action animation time? Guess it must be...

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Disco Infiva posted:

I think something like this would be much better than just feet icon

That reminds me of two things...

1) You know how when you mouseover an enemy, the targeting circle of whichever ally that enemy is attacking also turns into a X-men logo?

Please disable that feature when I'm targeting a spell. It leads to not being able to tell if my ally's circle is an X because he's going to get fireballed or because my mouse happens to be hovering over an enemy.

2) How about making the targeting AoE for harmless/healing/Foe Only spells completely yellow?

That way you can quickly tell that you're not going to do friendly fire with that spell. Also teaches you yellow = harmless, which makes you realize that the yellow bit on other spells is harmless.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Shadalator posted:

I'm new and an idiot.

How do I select a different party member without screwing up and making my previous action now target the dude I'm just trying to select? I keep hitting my own dudes with the abilities Im trying to turn on.
Right click first to cancel the ability targeting mode.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Phenotype posted:

There's not, because the game is inextricably tied to the 2.5 DnD ruleset. But thac0 is not really that complicated. Everything is resolved by rolling a d20. Thac0 is To Hit Armor Class 0--if your thac0 is 10, then you need to roll a ten or higher to hit. If the enemy's AC is higher than 0, then you add it to your roll--you need an 8 to hit AC 2 with a thac0 of 10, and likewise an AC of -2 would require you to roll a 12.
What a mess. Here's a better explanation:

AC = Defender's clumsiness value
Thac0 = Attacker's sword rustiness

If d20 + AC >= Thac0, then the defender trips and falls on the sword.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

^ hey I just said that!

WarLocke posted:

Is there any sort of penalty for using a ranged weapon in melee combat? I mean none of the melee weapon options give Deflection other than shields so is plinking away with a bow at point-blank functionally the same as at range? There's no hidden 'guys get AoOs if you're holding a pistol' type mechanics I'm not aware of right?
You can't flank or engage someone with ranged weapon is the only thing I've noticed.

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Well the boss is summoning volcanoes and literally opening the gate to hell in the middle of the market square.

After all that he's gonna need to rest, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

zedprime posted:

I've never really noticed what people call the Unity look so I might be speaking out of my rear end, but I expect the biggest part of the difference is they aren't leaning on Unity for a lot of 3d rendering besides the character models and spell effects. All the maps are static backgrounds that were rendered and touched up by hand.
Unreal is made of plastic. Source is made of concrete. Unity is made of paper.

• Locked thread