Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

One big change is that it removes the [Strength 13] notice from before the dialogue "I'm going to smash your knees" so you dont know if it is a regular speech option or a special one.

So on expert mode you won't know if "I'm gonna kick your face in!" is a successful Might roll or a failed Diplomacy attempt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

What's up, non-weeklong-easter-holiday-having amerigoons!

Bet you regret that constitutionally enshrined religious neutrality deal now :smug:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

grrarg posted:

Youtube version of the interview is up for people that have problems watching Twitch. The interviewer is way better than most streamers.

This is a drat good listen.

At 44-ish: couldn't agree more wrt how lovely and over-designed (my words) the art style of 2000s RPGs are.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

:laffo: Gonadlike

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

MC Nietzche posted:

This is a long way to say, let the world burn, play what you want.

Give me theorycrafting or give me death!

Sic Semper Funhavers!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Jesus this thread moves fast now.

I've been giggling about Khanstant's sketches all night so I had to draw a Gonadlike too:

(click for UNCUT & UNCENSORED :nws:)

And a portrait for in-game use with the eventual race mod:
http://i.imgur.com/MpOqV5Y.png

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Got hit pretty hard by the double-click bug, is there a clever way of finding out if Charname is actually getting the 20% speed bump from the Two-weapon fighting talent?

PS. I loving love this game

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

How many race- and background specific dialogue options are you supposed to get when dicking around in Defiance Bay as a Dwarf Cipher from Old Vailia?

I've done a bunch of quests there now but I can't recall ever getting a single one so I'm worried that the double click bug has wiped my race and background or something. I can deal with missing out on my dial wield speed bonus, and resistance to disease and poison, but I gotta have my dialogue options :(

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

This was probably already posted (several times, even) but a clever redditor found a way to adjust buggy inflated stats: https://www.reddit.com/r/projecteternity/comments/30x84n/unofficial_bugfix_easy_fix_for_attributesdefences/

Eder had 15 more points than he should've in every defense stat, and I even managed to fix my mainchar's dual wield speed bonus too.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Vermain posted:

And it's a party-based game that assumes you have 6 characters you're controlling at all times. A better introductory game would probably be Mask of the Betrayer, which is, I think, 3 or 4 people max (main character included).

Or just play Pillars but with 4 dudes instead of 6

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

What are people doing to have 40+ hour playthroughs? I clocked in at 28 hours for my first (normal) playthrough, and that was with a ton of sidetracking, and doing every optional thing that I could find.

Of course you're finishing it quickly when you're playing on normal. You gotta be steamrolling everything on that level

Crank it up a notch and you'll be playing way slower and carefully to avoid backtracking for more supplies

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

I'm playing on hard now, and it actually goes faster, but that's probably mostly because I know basically the entire game now that I've already finished it once.

Also, the limited camping supply system is dumb as hell, and adds nothing but tedium. Not once have I felt that the system actually added some sort of challenge, since you can always just backtrack and buy more at the vendors that have an unlimited supply of the stuff.

No, there's definitely a challenge but you fail it if you need to leave the dungeon to get more than your two servings of supplies

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Oh yes I can. You're forced to backtrack if you forget to buy something that doesn't serve any other purpose. It's dumb, and it's only a waste of time. I honestly prefer the Baldurs Gate system of there instead being a risk of being ambushed when resting. It added an incentive to keep going as far as possible before resting(unless you were a savescumming scumbag), without setting an artificial limit that you can forget to reset.

It is pointless, all it does is waste time. There's not really any point in the entire game where it adds any pressure at all. Honestly, all it does is make every fight more boring(by forcing you to "ration your abilities", heh).

Edit: I should clarify that the biggest problem I've had with this on hard so far has been the Endless Paths, and even you said that it could become an issue there.

So just stick to normal then. I enjoy having to play carefully and ""ration my abilities", heh"".

Most set pieces in this game are of the standard-issue room-full-of-monsters type, so going into combat at limited capacity is pretty much the only variable to your playstyle. Removing that would turn this into Dragon Age Origins, which was largely criticized for trash mobs and boring encounters

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Trash mobs and boring encounters, eh? Sounds rather familiar.

Yeah, that's referrring to the dragon age games with their infinitely replenishable character resources.

Did you read/understand the part about how Hard mode (that is, without running away when you deplete your supplies) makes battles that would otherwise be boring and grindy interesting because you have to conserve your abilities and get creative with scrolls/potions to make it in the long run?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

TorakFade posted:

I decided to not heed your advice and it turns out I was wrong! Made a druid, promptly expended my spells on the first encounter, turned into a bear and that lasted all of ten seconds. Sucks.

I am restarting as godlike fire paladin of setting everything on fire, should be much better.

What's a good stat allocation for the paladin?

No need to overthink it unless you're playing POTD. Just go for the gold/silver stars in chargen

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Anything with a progress bar is an RPG.

Software installers have that plus a dialogue system with multiple choices and consequences, which makes them a more complete and well-rounded RPG experience than any Diablo game

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Zephro posted:

I bought this on release but I'm only just getting around to playing it through for the first time now. I played all the IE games multiple times.

Are there any classes to avoid having as a PC? I don't want to end up with the POE version of a Wizard Slayer or something. At the same time, are there any so powerful that they trivialise the game, Kensai/Mage or Zerker/Mage style? Or can I pretty much pick anything and have fun?

edit: I did a bit of research on the POE forums but couldn't find a consensus beyond "paladins were a bit bad before the patch", which I take as an encouraging sign, but I thought I'd ask just in case I'd missed something.

I guess Cipher is considered the most powerful class overall (or at least at launch before they got somewhat nerfed) but they're all fairly balanced.

For a non-POTD run, just go with whatever sounds cool and don't worry too much about talents. There are no barbarian, monk, or rogue companions.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

X_Toad posted:

I thought the consensus was that you shouldn't worry about attributes but that talents and abilities were rather important?

Well, talents do define your playstyle in a way, but unless you're the kind that sperg out about optimal play (because you're playing POTD and/or soloing) then just take whatever sounds cool

You'll probably never feel like you're gimping yourself beyond playability anyway

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Yeah i think that's about the point where the game has gone noticeably beyond its peak for me too.

The stuff with the gods is kinda neat though. Looking forward to see what happens with that.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm not really entirely sure what's going on with the story because I'm skipping through most dialogue because it is awful.

As someone else pointed out a few posts ago, it all just breaks down to a checklist of "go here, do this" anyway.

Only if you have some sort of attention disorder, which it's pretty clear that you do so sorry about that

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

precision posted:

But this is not the inventory screen of a sane person!

Look at how randomly everything is placed! It's driving me nuts! I can't even look at it!

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Sensuki posted:

Sawyerist

I too am a follower of Sawyerism. Choice, Consequences, and perfect Balance shall set you free, brother

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Goons hating flavour? That's a new one

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

frajaq posted:

What do attributes and skills add to RPGs that couldn't be easily be replaced entirely by Talents/Perks/Feats?

A nuanced measurement of your character's set of abilities.

Progressive modifiers to other talents/skills/defenses/attacks.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

frajaq posted:

All of those can be substituted by Perks, less effort is spent in balancing stats

Sure, you can streamline things like that but your stats will become very binary. Your guy would be either strong or average, smart or regularly intelligent, good at sneaking or just not

I like the nuance, like my guy isn't a world-class athlete but he can jump a chasm and only become somewhat wearied. He might be sneaky, but he can't shove a grenade up someone's rear end without them noticing

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

sassassin posted:

3% makes no meaningful difference to combat performance. One extra swing per especially long battle?

Your character's set of abilities are determined by Class, Race, Level, Equipment and Talents. The effect of Attributes on these abilities is extremely limited.

Then you should put more than 1 point in something, or find/enchant your gear to boost it

This is RPG 101 stuff and I'm not sure why it has to be explained

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Kinda bored to tears of this already. I wish my buddy gifted me Lego Jurassic World instead. :(

You can easily get a re-fund from valve these days and buy that lego game with the steam credits instead

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

DrShevek posted:

The best PoE review that may never be published:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80390-the-third-rpgcodex-review-the-best-most-accurate-review-yet/

After much drama, Sensuki (possibly) managed to complain/whine/cry enough to prevent this review from being published. Still a darn good read though if you ridiculously long and detailed reviews.

That Gromnir guy posts like a twat. It's like years and years of forums roleplaying has made him incapable of typing of in a non-twatty way

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Kewpuh posted:

stop posting

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

ThePutty posted:

well that's discouraging

And also not true

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

You honestly think that a full 2/3 of the game, whose thread you follow and keep posting in for months after release, was mediocre to bad?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Seven Deadly Sins posted:

I like the way that Dungeon Crawl does it: Shops exist for the player to buy from, not to sell to. Changes the dynamic of currency from "neurotically pick up all items so you can sell poo poo to vendors" to "oh, this will be useful for some interesting item in the future". It keeps the joy of being able to save up for that really rad item, while removing the tedium of constantly picking up poo poo you know you're never going to use. I wish more games did it that way, especially since it makes a whole lot of sense for random vendors to not want to buy dumb random poo poo from people, like 3700 pounds of probably broken plate mail recovered from a couple dozen corpses you struck with lightning or set fire to or hit with an axe repeatedly.

Maybe allow selling of unique items since the vendors would probably be interested in having an item with such a unique backstory, and also unique items always at least have the feeling of "i can trade this in for a thing i might want"?

I like the way Morrowind (and modded Oblivion, skyrim, fallout) handles vendors, where they have a purchasing cap to prevent them from becoming gold dispensing loot buckets.

It would prevent the mid-level gold surge, though it might create some tedium since you'd have to start bartering to get your valuables sold.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

I prefer inventory systems to be as light as possible in general, but I've accepted PoE's system as part of the whole IE throwback deal.

And I would kind of miss going to sell some loot only to realize that I have killed 60 Xaurips in the last two hours.

IE games didn't have a stash though, and inventory space was very limited so even if you killed triple digit kobolds while out on a quest you wouldn't pick up every blunt sword and foul-smelling armor set you found

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

sassassin posted:

The stronghold is a bad. It's not buggy, or flawed, it's terrible on every level of design and execution.

Show me on the doll where it touched you

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

I know it's hard but you'll just have to explain things very slowly to idiot funhavers such as myself. I tend to miss all the intricate subtleties of the Pillars of Eternity writing and painstaking worldbuilding behind it. I just reached level 8 on my Inquisitor and now I'm killing bloatflies in the Swamp of Sorrows.

I like the timing of your posts, critiquing the "needless complexity" right after we'd discussed how rpgcodex is full of nerdy nerd sensukis who think this game is like The Sims of RPGs

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

evilmiera posted:

That's weird, shouldn't console use disable achievements? Or is that only until you load the save?

I think only console cheats, like iroll20s, will get your achievements disabled

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Furism posted:

I don't know, I don't have the charts or sales number. Half a million of AD&D 2.0 doesn't sound impossible honestly.

Well according to Wikipedia:

I don't know. All I'm saying is that there's probably not such a huge difference to call one "niche" and not the other one.

There's probably a really steep drop-off from D&D to the second best selling tabletop RPG. Videogames, even PC RPGs, are way broader

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

precision posted:

Everybody has irrational aversions to things. If someone, even someone I'm dating, puts their feet on the pillow I sleep on, holy poo poo that drives me nuts. That's essentially putting the floor in your mouth!!!!!! :mad:

Oh please like you haven't ever eaten food you've dropped on the floor

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

DrShevek posted:

Also all this talk of it being optional ignores the fact that it gates like 90% of the game. The player must aquire the stronghold and build at least one thing in it before they can advance. Thats already suggest they had considered making it more of a central thing at some point.
Oh come on

You've talked a lot about this now, seemingly without grasping exactly why the stronghold ended up as it did even after it's spelled out for you by the lead developer, and while the stronghold isn't exactly my fav part of the game, there's not point in being straight up disingenuous about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

precision posted:

If nothing else, the Stronghold is not worth the 127 new posts I just saw. :catstare:

Yeah, there really isn't that much to discuss

The stronghold didn't live up to its potential due to money and time constraints, and further developments would've been at the cost of other content

The end

• Locked thread