Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Its a honestly mechanic from those games they should have dropped.

I'm a actually not a fan of Baldur's Gate in general, I think the combat is overly convoluted and boring, but I backed the game because I love Obsidian games and so far I'm happy I supported it and I'm enjoying it but some of those antiquated mechanics held over just because just annoy me.

I hate to be kind of a turd but you had to expect they'd keep at least some mechanics similar to all of the old isometric games because that's what they set out to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

This is pretty subjective but...does the game pick up steam at all?

To keep this short, I find that I'm completely unmotivated to keep playing because it's just me, without a single companion, and I keep having to skip encounters because I'm hopelessly outmatched. Can someone at least tell me that this will change relatively shortly? I've only played a total of maybe an hour and a half but I just don't find it interesting without at least one other party member to hold my attention in conversations and help out in fights.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I posted a few days ago about how this was hard to get into. I finally found my first party member and it's much more enjoyable, though I like the option of having multiple customizable party members I still wish I had access to more unique party members mid-act 1.

Entirely possible I missed something though.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, you missed 3 party members. :v:
Check the OP.

Admittedly, I was saved right next to another party member that I found 10 seconds after I loaded up.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Just experienced something odd in combat. All of my party save one member were completely ignoring my attack orders. There was a lone will-o-wisp left and everyone just sat around looking at it instead of actually attacking.

Is this a bug or did they all have the wrong damage type or something?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Were they stunned?

They were not. My party was able to move and they all just watched as a willowisp got shot to death.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I just ran into an odd glitch. I was doing bounties and subbed out my whole party when handing in the quests so the XP wouldn't go to waste on my max level members. I hand in the quests, no big deal, reinstate my party members and leave the Lodge. As soon as I get outside I remember I should see if there are other bounty quests while I'm here so I go back into the Warden's Lodge. As soon as I load back in I notice Eder is in the wrong spot for my party layout, try to drag him back into the third spot and I'm unable to do so. His portrait bugs out and kind of melds through a different one and it won't let me move it. Odd. I then open the inventory screen and Eder is totally naked despite him being previously decked out in tanking stuff. I reload and notice that on the autosave Eder isn't shown as in my party. But I load in and he's there. I swap him in/out/in my party and nothing changes.

Anyone experienced this before? I spent an hour running around doing bounties and had to rely on autosaves for most of the time. Was wondering if there is a fix or if I have to roll back an hour to my last hard save.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Wizard Styles posted:

Wizard spells: everything that has an aoe and denies actions or flips allegiance is worth considering. Early on that's Slicken and Bewildering Spectacle.

Early on? I'm mid/late game and I use Slicken like 6 times a fight if I can hit a group of enemies. Sure there are other spells that might knock them over and do damage but why chance it? :shrug:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

poo poo, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to enjoy the stronghold. I guess because the quests are combat oriented and give some pretty nice flavor to the rest of the world, specifically areas you've already traveled to, it's bad.

:shrug:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Darkhold posted:

Er nobody has a problem with the Warden bounties though? In fact that's the single thing that most people stated they liked about it. But you'll notice aside from being at the Warden lodge they have nothing to do with the stronghold meaning they're just a bunch of fun challenge quests not something tied in an interesting way to you being the leader of the stronghold.

Most of the complaints I read about the stronghold over the past like 6 pages always made mention of no quests being tied to the stronghold. I actually don't think I saw them mentioned more than two or three times (in the actual complaint posts I mean).

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

drat I love this game. But it's so painful to try and clean up a few random side quests that involve traveling through 10+ loading screens just to reach an objective that may or not be where you think it is. Without a SSD that's close to 10 minutes of loading screens alone.

I guess I should start another book that I read while I'm playing PoE :sigh:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Konsek posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only person who would never use party AI and actually loves using the pause system to micromanage my entire party.

I'll probably put classes I don't care much about like Chanters and Rangers on AI and still micromanage everyone else. Maybe Durance occasionally if we're not fighting a particularly difficult group.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So I'm fighting a huge loving dragon that intermittently one shots 4 of my party members from full health. Is this the game's way of saying I actually need to have everyone spamming nothing but CC on it?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

I just did it by having Aloth use every single CC spell in two tomes. Welp, it worked.

I just wish coping with 60 second load screens every 15 seconds was as easy :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Node posted:

Now to think of a game to follow this up with.

I'm playing through Serpent in the Staglands right now and I'm really enjoying it. It's a little bit buggy (make sure you have a lot of different saves) but really fun if you're willing to put the time in.

• Locked thread