Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I just got myself 3 extra copies of the game on launchday, time to figure out who to give them to. Might do a giveaway in an appropriate thread, or just hand it out to good buds I have on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Airfoil posted:

Force your friends to right for them in an arena of death?

Just a thought.

All of my friends are low-might wizards, it might take a while.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok new debate:

Apparently we each get to make 8 mercenary adventurers to hang out at our keep or take along on quests.

What builds are people thinking of for those guys?

So far it sounds like I want to try at least one Bleak Walker arquebusier paladin. Do people have any good suggestions for Barbarian or Monk builds? Priests that aren't of Magran?

I'd probably just fill it with every character build I couldn't use as my main my first time through (which is still going to be a gun-centric cypher I think). I'd say a damage-soaking damage-aura paladin melee person, then a shotgun-toting Orlan rogue, maybe some kind of druid since I never got the hang of them in the beta proper.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Even when Divinity: Original Sin's combat lost its sheen, I still think the designers did a good job at shuffling the game's elements and altering the pace and situations to keep it fresh (granted, Cyseal is my favorite location, so I wish they'd kept the badass hub for later and started with a smaller Act 2-like location, but that kind of criticism is easy to make in hindsight). Admittedly, I haven't finished the game because I got distracted with other stuff, but it certainly wasn't for lack of interest.

Getting distracted with other stuff was the bane of my Divinity playthrough as well. There just came a point where I was bored with what was going on after leaving the first town and all its complex stuff to go hunt things in a mine someplace. Didn't help that the story sort of tapered out either. It was still a great game, and I am glad I got it, but I've no intention of finishing it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Disco Infiva posted:

I'm a Youtube Creator, where's my early copy OBSIDIAN!? :argh:

I'm a Youtube Watcher, so send me my almanac so I can lazily scan what this game is about.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Papercut posted:

I haven't even played them, although I think I read an LP of BG1 once.

Beat them both and almost all the expansions (never beat Sword Coast entirely). They're plenty fun though they have massively annoying portions tacked on here and there.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

rope kid posted:

I tuned down firearms

You utter and complete bastard. Stop ruining my beloved dreams :(

Also, congratulations on hitting gold and the upcoming release, I hope it will be spectacular. Trying to poke at all my friends to make them buy your stuff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Blotto Skorzany posted:

No, it doesn't.

Well, it does for male PCs. When they wear anything at all.

Mostly the game is a bunch of NPCs with Giant Head Mode on, if you know what I mean.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Will we have access to a debug mode/developer's console?

There already is one in the beta, I presume it will be available in the game proper.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Good videos, Sensuki.

:hellyeah:

It needs to move to the top space and stay there for a week or I will be sad in the pantaloon department.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Illegal Username posted:

I've kept myself in the dark about this game and hey look it's coming out on Thursday!

I love Infinity engine games and RPGs in general, should i pre-order yea/nay?

Absolutely. Worst case scenario, from watching streams and playing the Beta, you'll get a game that tries to evoke the old IE games with some cool new paint and new mechanics and better writing that doesn't quite go all the way.

Best case this will be my GOTY. I'm leaning towards that one.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Why is everyone buying GTA 5 on Steam? It isn't coming out for another month, did they forget to update people on that? Or is there a pre-order bonus running out?

Oh. There is. For money in the game.

Star Citizen really has ruined us :(

At least PoE is holding onto that 3rd spot. Cities Skylines deserves its spot at least.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dreylad posted:

Oh awesome, I'm going to take advantage of this.

Where do you think I got my 3 extra keys from?

Edit: vvv Darnit, too bad it got caught!

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 24, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's aged pretty badly but smacking someone in the nuts with a hammer so hard that he comically slides across the map never really gets old.

It has some things I'd love to see in a new game, that being one of them, but like people already mentioned you can beat it in an afternoon and it feels mostly empty and lifeless. There's neat stuff to do, and awesome things to find, but there's also a whole bunch of grindy pointless crap. But not because the guys behind it weren't trying their darndest and there's tons of charm to be found. But Fallout 2 is the better game by far. And beyond having a certain lack of tone from 2, and a few things only isomectric can offer, New Vegas was the best of the bunch.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I'll end all of your suspension about this question right now.

No.

I'm not a smart man, which is obvious by my posting, but it didn't take me as long to figure out how to kill stuff good in PoE as some of these streamers. I'd say people aren't used to RTwP gameplay but we've got stuff like Inquisition and the original Dragon ages going on so that can't be right either.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Seems to be working reasonably well (unfortunately because I hate streamers). It's in the top 3 sellers on steam right now and it ain't even out yet.

And doing just as well on the other sites, if not better.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

We're gonna need a new thread with a better title come the 26th.

Well, a better title at least.

The title should be something alluding to money (the kickstarter) and eternity, so "We'll give you an RPG on Tuesday for a handful of coppers today."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Avalerion posted:

If I understand this right, disengagement attacks just mean that if character A moves out of character B's danger zone, B gets to hit A with a free attack that hurts a lot? That seems pretty straightforward if so and helps tanks do their job.

Sort of. Some characters are better about keeping you stuck in than others, but overall your explanation works.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Don Mega posted:

Is it a coincidence that 99% of POE streamers are sporting a massive neckbeard?

Where do you think they kept all their money to back this game?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Eonwe posted:

one day the stored biomass of neckbeards will be used to power trips to our colony on mars

makes u think

Sadly, the neckbeards will have then finished their mindmeld fusion and turned into one entity, screaming into the void of space about its immersion, before plummeting the world into a dark fantasy with no concept of time. As it will be turnbased.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I'm free then at least. But I'll probably try and knock myself into a coma or something before then, to wake up at an appropriate time. Luckily my training from working in care means I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. And then be a zombie for days on end :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

By the way, should we uninstall the backer beta to avoid any issues with the main game?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

coffeetable posted:

John Walker @botherer · 4h 4 hours ago
Pillars Of Eternity review goes up at 1pm today. Played for 60ish hours over 6 days. Was worth it.

drat, that sort of marathon play is hell on a body. I essentially did that to finish my CK2 playthrough and felt like I was going to have a heartattack just from moving around the next few days. That or I am getting old :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Furism posted:

Very, he drank 3 beers.

I've still got a third of a bottle of vodka lying around. I guess I COULD start playing it drunk.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The DLC just finished downloading as I was playing. Do I have to restart from scratch to get my things/pet?

Edit: Ah, no I don't, but I had to go to a slightly earlier save since my inventory had filled up. Tho it might've just hit my stash I suppose.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 26, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I have an issue that's still appearing in my game since the beta, namely that AOE markers don't show up, so I don't know how wide certain attacks will be.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Game is good, but how do you get to Caed Nua once you've done mostly everything? Do you really have to attack/infiltrate the hold to progress the story? I'm on hard and it's almost been 6 or so years since I've done an RPG like this. Real rough. I like it.

If you mean Raedric's place, then no. Just get to an area connecting to that one, somewhat south of the village I think, and make your way there.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Turn off expert mode?

It isn't on.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Superstring posted:

I can't tell who's Avellone-y, Durance or Grieving Mother. Ending the first day of play recruiting and exhausting her initial dialogue options, yeesh that's intense. Whatever Chris is on, I want some of it.

Where in the heck do you find her? I must've missed her in my first day's run.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bewilderment posted:

It's an Amulet of Reflex. It gives +5 to your Reflex Defense, and it multiplies your healing by 1.15. What's hard to understand about that?

Well, it could also be interpreted as saying "If someone else heals you, you get healed for slightly more"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Regarding Raedric's Hold, just how accurate is Osrya's claims about her work, for the people who've beaten that part?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Damnit, 2 hard choices in a single area? Raedric's Hold is a real tough area to get through, and I'm not talking about the stealth section. What if they really can fix the problems? Is it ok to keep a tyrant around if he eventually solves his problems? Or is he just completely mad and needs to be put down?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Modus Pwnens posted:

Re: bear quest

Sorry, I meant was the husband actually abusive?

All signs point to yes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Superstring posted:

Dude. Corpse tree.

Well, yes, but he's also pointing out rather accurately that the guy replacing him is powerhungry.

Say, speaking of which, anyone got far in enough to describe what happens if you [spoiler]Murderize Kolsc too? {/spoiler]

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Offkorn posted:

This is true. But seriously, no one in the Beta ever tried to set more than one trap?

Were there just not any traps in the Beta?

I will tell you the truth, I never used traps in the beta at all.

Anyway, as for the obligatory murder quest in Defiance Bay what is the result of letting the guy behind it go?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Deakul posted:

What a shame, but yeah, I'm seeing reports of people not getting the backer achievement for some reason.
He's restarted the game, steam, and his computer several times since the game has come out to no avail.

It is super weird. I just made a new character and got the achievement instantly this time. I think in my case it had something to do with the "dlc" that was the backer stuff not being downloaded when I first started the game, so it didn't register the cheevo.

Also, Durance's vision quest thing has popped up and I somehow already had my conversation with him about it, but the questlog still shows me as needing to ask him about it. Sorta weird! Not sure if permanently bugged.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

Haha, naked, my Cipher has 24 int when I started him with 16 what is going on

Did you equip the horn of moderation at any point? I learnt the hard way that was a bad thing to do, now my Focus won't regen :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Can I replace enchantments (say int+1) by a better one (int+2) later on?

Yep. All enchantments can be replaced by higher tier once, I think.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kikka posted:

I like PC RPG games. Tell me the pros/cons of this game!

It has a lot of content. Been playing it since release day pretty much nonstop and the ending still isn't in sight, tho I am getting closer. It has several RP opportunities and ways to build your character that are all fun and neat. The music is good, as is the writing for the most part.

It is still a bit unbalanced and the difficulty curve is not smooth in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

So, does anyone know what the Fampyr on the throne on the 8th floor of Od Nua says if you can speak Engwithan. Literally went straight from there to finish Heritage Hill and am now feeling a tad foolish.

Also: Fampyr. I thought the guy bitching about monster names was full of poo poo but this is pushing it.

Bows don't have a reload action.

Does Two Weapon Style work with the Larder Door?

He details a few things about how he's managed to survive there for so long and how things went with his old master. Also how he's being bothered by the beetles in that area, and he does NOT know who the Master Below is. He doesn't think it is his former boss though, being the guy who made that place.

• Locked thread