Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
How do I build a spellsword in this game? Mostly melee damage, but also using buff / debuff / cc spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Is the magic part important to you or just the mechanical effect?

I don't know. I just like to play a version of my first BG2 character (F/M) in every fantasy RPG, since that kind of character is usually very flexible and thus fun to use. If I feel like cutting some heads with swords, I can do that. If I feel like becoming an immortal tank with spells, I can do that. If I want to cast some nukes, I can do that. If I want to make myself invisible and confuse the enemies, I can do that. So basically I just want to be the ultimate jack of all trades.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Concurred posted:

Didn't Chris Avellone write Mask of the Betrayer, too? That was one of the strongest offerings I think I've seen.

If you want to attribute it to a single person, that'd be George Ziets. Avellone did mostly just Kaelyn in MotB.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

More like Adam Brennecke is about to make you his bitch.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

drat, Steam's UI could use some work. Took me several minutes before I found a small 'Read More' button on the store page, where I could see what the differences between normal, Hero, Champion and Royal editions are.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I've tried to avoid spoiling myself, so I haven't followed this thread too closely or even tried the backer beta, but I'm so glad that my contribution helped Obsidian create this game. By all accounts, it seems to be exactly what I wanted, and I can't wait to get to play it. May it sell like hotcakes so rope kid et al. get to make many more games like this. :toot:

Smol fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 24, 2015

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Boz0r posted:

I don't know which platform I should redeem the code to. Help me!

Do you enjoy updating games manually? Yeah, just pick Steam.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Anyone know when the review embargo gets lifted?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

0/10 would not pay $250 again

j/k I'm so loving hyped right now

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Holy gently caress I can't even pick what race I want to play

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Can I eventually get (almost?) all the level 1 cipher powers?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Looks like Hard mode is actually pretty hard. Think I'll have to find a tank before I can kill three wolves at at time, as my Cipher has only 40 endurance and I don't even have an ally to target Soul Shock with.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I just did this and it wasn't there. Unless the Alt toggle isn't 'scouting'.

I ended up settling on a Fire Godlike for my Barbarian, since one of my go-to lame D&D names has always been 'Jhaele Flamehair' anyway :neckbeard:

No idea how decent the stat mix is, though... :ohdear:

I'm fairly certain it appears there after you clear the ambush.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Holy poo poo I should've started reading the Collector's Edition book yesterday. 116 pages, gotta read it all before I really start playing (just finished the Tutorial and found the first town).

Also game owns and kicks my rear end so far. :black101:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

WarLocke posted:

So if you have a melee weapon equipped at the end of the first map and you choose to throw it to save the NPC, the game remembers and takes it away from you. But if you have the pistol equipped the option is now to fire it and you keep it.

This loving game.

My dude had the option to throw a rock. I think it was because I had over 15 dexterity.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Does mechanics affect your scouting ability? I'm in the Temple of Eothas and I can't seem to be able to find the secret key to the lower level. I already solved the riddle, but I'm just curious why I can't find the key.

E: Unless the strategy guide is wrong about the location of the key (the small room with the books).

Smol fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Mar 28, 2015

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Is Ectopsychic Echo as good as it seems to be on paper?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

VDay posted:

I'm really liking it. Keep in mind it targets one of your own people, so you need someone behind the enemy running around in order to get the most out of it. My PC is a rogue so I tag her with it and then run back and forth behind the enemy taking potshots while EE deals 30-40 damage every so often.

Well, I figure I could just run Eder (or myself, if need be) behind the enemies. It's not like he'll be taking any damage from a few attacks of opportunity anyway.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Are there any debuffs that reduce enemy DR? My party is Cipher (myself), Eder, Aloth, Durance and Kana.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

zedprime posted:

Wizard third level has a DR reduction debuff IIRC.

Yep, I just got everyone to level 5 and saw it!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

aeverous posted:

Sanity check here.

My Edér had 98 (deflection!!), 91, 93 and 86 defensive stats while buffed with Defender in full gear. I assumed I'd fallen victim to the bug, but getting undressed and deactivating buffs leaves me at:

Are these normal stats?

If the wiki is correct and you get 3 deflection per level, I'm pretty sure he should have 25 + 5 * 3 + 3 + 1 = 44 deflection. But if you have Wary Defender and are in Defender mode, that'd explain the extra 15 deflection.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I just realized that my Eder (level 5) has almost 110 deflection in full gear. No wonder Hard started to feel pretty easy....

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Five. Level cap is 12. I think it's worked out though that it takes doing the vast majority of quests to hit that.

Although honestly I'm a little confused by people who took 60-70 hours. I have the strategy guide and I'm 27 hours in and just based on the number of quests and Acts left I'd say i have about 15-20 hours left to do everything.

Unless they were reading every single NPC gold backer.

Then again I am playing it on easy so that probably has something to do with it haha. I'm sure fights would be taking longer otherwise.

I'm 20 hours in and just entering the first big city. People play at vastly different speeds.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

I think I'm taking a break until the stat stacking bug is fixed. I feel like I haven't experienced the true difficulty so far, as Eder has hugely inflated deflection right now.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

My swag hasn't even shipped yet :(

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

I maintain that Durance is the best priest in any CRPG.

That'd be Kaelyn the Dove.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Vermain posted:

Durance might get some flowery lines, but there's really nothing in the game that compares to Kaelyn's conversation with Myrkul. Hats off to George Ziets for the writing in this, by the way - it really is some of the best in a CRPG.

That's my favourite scene in any video game. :hfive:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

I thought Avellone wrote Kaelyn's dialog?

That was just the 1-on-1 companion dialogue, I believe.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Firstborn posted:

NWN2's OC is a loving chore to play, and is the most cliché and basic plot ever to be in a CRPG. The whole thing is like a tutorial. It's boring to the point of loving tears.

Did you play it past Act 1?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

WarLocke posted:

Mind laying it out for those of us who played the originals but not the enhanced re-releases?

Right now, the only thing holding the EEs back is that Ascension (a ToB "Director's Cut" mod by Bioware's David Gaider) isn't ported yet. And probably won't be for a while, since nobody is working on it. Everything else is better, and if you don't like the EE content (I'm not a big fan), it's easily skippable.

Edit: Spelling

Smol fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 2, 2015

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Gyshall posted:

What are the default values for SetZoomLevel ?

There's a 'Reset Zoom' key binding in the settings. Try using that.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

CompeAnansi posted:

On the topic of "how am I ever going to go back and replay Baulder's Gate after the QoL improvements in PoE", I never really got into D&D, so the mechanics are incredibly opaque to me. One of the great advances in Pillars of Eternity for me is the use of a modern stat/damage/armor system. Does anyone know of a mod for the Baulder's Gate games that converts stuff like 2d6 + 1 into actual damage ranges and converts THAC0 into an equivalent non-insane armor number? Basically I want all the D&D mechanics hidden behind a more understandable set of numbers that are displayed on the character page. I looked for such a mod, but didn't find anything. Anyone got any suggestions other than "suck it up"?

Suck it up. Honestly, the mechanics in Baldur's Gate games aren't complicated at all. All you need to know is that lower armor class and thac0 is better.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

So when they say the patch is coming out tonight, do they mean tonight in North America or tonight in European time? I'm wondering because I thought Paradox did some QA for this game.

Where did you read this anyway? All I've seen is "within the next couple of days".

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Patch downloaded. Time to start over! :toot:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The dictohomy between overpowered unique weapons (think BG2) and a perfectly balanced system (think PoE) is an interesting one. While the latter is no doubt better when wearing rope kid's balancing hat, many players such as myself find the former preferable, simply because the overpowered unique weapons are cooler. :shrug:

Smol fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 6, 2015

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

If a special hireling visits my stronghold, should I hire them then and there? Or will they visit again?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

The physical swag finally arrived. :3:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

So how much harder is PotD? Not going for triple crown right now or anything like that, but I'm in the mid-game and Hard is becoming far too easy. Mental Binding/ Mind Blades / Ectopsychic Echo with Eder tanking poo poo takes care of pretty much anything, so combat goes mostly on autopilot right now.

As I understand it, it's not possible to increase difficulty to PotD mid-game, so I'd have to restart from the beginning.

Smol fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 12, 2015

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Noticeably but not oppressively harder. It feels like the intended difficulty if you have a mind for these games.

FWIW you're going to end up using mostly the same stuff as you did on Hard probably. You just do it more and throw in some extra CC spells.

All right. I guess I should jump in then, I've played the Baldur's Gate series a lot with mods like SCS, so I was probably overthinking this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Since when is friendly fire an obtuse grognard mechanic? If anything, it (=positioning) is one of the cornerstones of tactical combat in the genre.

• Locked thread