Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hahahaha.

Of all the things to incorporate into an homage to the Infinity Engine games..."You must gather your party before venturing forth"? Really?

I suppose it's a testament to Pillars' pathfinding that it took me this long to hear it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

fuckpot posted:

Hey there sorry if this has been mentioned a bunch of times but I am after a mod that slows down time even more than standard. Something along the lines of 1/10th speed even. I pretty much have no idea what's going on in combat and those messages just fly in that little box. Anyone know a good one?

I think IEMod has an option to slow things down more than standard, but I don't know quite how slow it goes.

On an unrelated note, has anyone had an issue with Scrolls of Hidden Wonders (the ritual that temporarily boosts your Mechanics) consistently failing? Is there something I'm missing?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Is this game really good and fun and good? I'm very tempted to buy it. I loved BG and BG2 but when I tried to play the remastered editions I lost interest very quickly, turns out I'm much less patient than I was 15 years ago.

Yes, it is good and fun and good. It's not perfect, there's a layer of polish that stands in spots between it being a good game and an amazing game (though I have high hopes for continued development), but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Not the cheeriest writing ever, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't much like the Dozens either, but I joined with them on the grounds that they weren't (a) giggling homicidal maniacs or (b) building Cylons.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I use IEmod, shifted some stats around with the console, and still get achievements.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The real question is whether you get one summon per chanter. If you do, then a viable endgame strategy might be "work out how to survive five rounds, then OGRE BATALLION."

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Twin Elms was less complex than Defiance Bay in a lot of ways, but honestly, by that point in the game, that suited me fine.

As for the stronghold, I don't necessarily think it needs major mechanical benefits or exclusive unique items or sidequests or whatever, as nice as those would be. I think it just needs to feel like it's a part of the gameworld. I'd like people to notice it's there when they talk to you. Maybe it gives you the odd extra dialogue option, or additional quest resolution, like that one quest late on where you have the additional option of resolving things peacefully by taking a mercenary leader hostage. More of that, basically, is what I'd like, and if that meant less of something else, that would be fine, I think.

And if people would genuinely complain that they can't get every piece of flavor dialogue unless they build the stronghold, well, those people cannot be negotiated with regardless, I suspect.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There are stronghold events that are timed but you usually have a matter of days after they're announced.

Nothing timed in the rest of the game at all, as far as I remember.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There should, if anything, be a "why aren't you in fast mode, life is short" label that pops up when you aren't.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

In terms of storyline, I would say BG (not BG2 and certainly not TOB, and I haven't played Dragonwhatsis) has the edge. I mostly like Pillars' story, but it's a little clunky in spots in ways that I think Baldur's Gate's is pretty well-realized. And Pillars' big reveal that the gods were created by the extinct precursor civilization fell flat for me. It's not like they aren't real, they just have an origin story.

I mostly like the more naturalistic character writing in Pillars better than the BG series' larger-than-life folks, as fun as they were. I actually really liked the more down-to-earth companions like Sagani, and the ones with more punch to their personality (like Durance) also had more depth. (That said, a world where Eder and Minsc could pal around would be a fine world indeed.)

So kind of a wash, really.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

Honestly? If it's not on the road to the core questline, expect that it might mop the floor with you and come back later if you have to. The fishmen play rough.

Having just finished WM1, I'd take the fishmen over those stunlocking bastards inside Durgan's Battery any day.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Any tips for the Concelhaut fight? Everything I see online suggests kiting enemies out of the room a few at a time which, er, doesn't seem to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Furism posted:

It works but sometimes Concelhaut won't go back, it can be tricky. Also if you see Concelhaut's not here but you have a bunch of enemies, kill them - don't try to pull them one by one.

I made a video that shows the pull: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI49sIr4ZZI

Yeah, my issue is that Concelhaut comes along every time too.

I'll try buffing Eder eight ways from Sunday and using him as a doorstop, but I think I'm gonna come back when my folks are level 15-16. (They're 14 now).

• Locked thread