Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

But.. but... this changes everything!

Could a quick fix be to add this information as one of the Loading Screen tips? Maybe it's there but I've never seen it.
Well, the next patch is 2.0, so the interface should actually display that info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Rascyc posted:

I secretly wish the weapon focus/specialization talents would get deleted. Should have just maintained the melee/range talent division. There's always someone complaining about weapon focus in particular.
A huge number of players want proficiencies and even more specializations. Even if people don't like how the subdivisions of weapons are laid out, a lot of players really want their character to excel in one or two specific weapons.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There are a non-trivial number of players that absolutely loathe strongholds as a concept and never want to interact with stronghold mechanics. It's difficult to make something feel robust and rewarding but also completely optional.

And yes, the stronghold is a money sink. We have virtually no economic drains in the game. Purchased items, crafting, and the stronghold are the only three and they're all things you don't actually have to interact with (though most people buy a decent number of items).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We don't, unfortunately, but based on observations and conversations, a lot of players buy at least a few uniques from stores. As for the relative power of items, some of it is subjective and a lot of it depends on when you encounter the item. Some people don't stumble across a store until far later than they are expected to and the items don't seem as appealing.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

I guess the question is - what do you mean by optional? The stronghold could easily be rewarding without being mandatory, but it seems like the team has treated it as "The stronghold can never meaningfully effect or interact with any other part of the game ever" which is honestly just weird. I've heard more than one complaint about how aside from the bounty hunter the strong hold doesn't offer any actual content.
And if we gated a bunch of quests through the stronghold, there would be complaints about that. It's not really an "everyone wins" decision since some people hate stronghold-gated content. That said, if we had spare area and narrative design resources during development, sure we'd make some stronghold specific content. That was never the case and it still wasn't the case on the expansion. Whatever work is done on gated content is work not being done on content available to everyone.

Scorchy posted:

I wish the loot was distributed so that the stronghold vendors had 2-3 uniques each to sell.
Azzuro sells 9 uniques, which isn't quite the same as the vendors selling them, but it works out to the same quantity. That could be bumped up, but then you're back in a position where if people aren't interacting with the stronghold, there's a significant chunk of goodies that simply aren't available to them.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 17, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

You "gated" a lot of good content, including a character quest, behind the Endless Paths, though, and that was optional as well.

Stronghold content is available to everyone, though, it's just that, much like the endless paths, it's optional.
You're downplaying the aversion that people have to strongholds, specifically. If there's a "I hate big dungeons" bloc of significant size, I'm unaware of them. Stronghold aversion seems more comparable to romance aversion.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Khizan posted:

I'll take "Sorry, no stronghold"
Once the Kickstarter completed, that was never an option. The choice was always about where content went in the game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I would hope what people take away is that all content costs something to make. If a bunch of people are asking for new dialogues and quests in the expansion, I have to ask how many characters and quests they want cut from the expansion areas, with the understanding that at a certain reduction of quest density, associated maps disappear with them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DrShevek posted:

I would expect something with parity with the games this was inspired by. So, when I think of what my expectations are for a stronghold in PoE were, I thought maybe a total number of quests (with similar depth) to the multitude of Strongholds in BG2.
Do you want us to cut six quests and ~20 characters/dialogues from the expansion areas for the stronghold?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Twin Elms isn't extra content.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

DrShevek posted:

"Solid work" isn't exciting though. The game does alot of things very well but the stronghold is barely competent. Why have mediocre things in the game? If you include something, strive for excellence. Strive to excite players and make an experience memorable. The stronghold in this game was extremely forgettable.
Content does not burst forth from our foreheads fully formed like Athena from the head of Zeus through desire and good intentions.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I remember using a fair number of potions and a lot of healing spells in that fight, but that was only on Hard.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

*makes a note next to Ninagauth's Killing Bolt*

:getin:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nycticeius posted:

I wonder what happens if you only buy Part II.

Part II requires Part I.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

I have a terminology question. According to my Kindle's dictionary, "Leaden" means either "very heavy" or "made of lead." Which definition is correct for the "Leaden Key" ? I'm not a native english speaker so I might have missed the proper sense.
A key made of lead.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Excelzior posted:

so a key that slowly poisons you every time you use it? I can dig that.
A key that breaks off in the lock so you can't open it again.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Accordion Man posted:

Sorry if this was mentioned already, but do backers that preordered the expansion get both parts?
Yes.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Some of the new areas in the expansion look amazing, especially after Kaz does a touchup pass.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's why we call it plumbing (Pb). ~*

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jastiger posted:

Will we also get more levels to the endless paths or something like it?
No more levels for Od Nua.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

$14.95 for Part I, $24.95 for both together (USD).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Periodiko posted:

Can you do 24.95 for both now, as a pre-order for part 2?
I don't know when that goes live (I don't think we're doing pre-orders for anything), but yes that's the intention.

Jastiger posted:

Will the additional bounties provide additional hard content as a stand in?

Crägholt Bluff is an entire area for high level characters. Some of the bounties and the dragon are also quite hard.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Tyrone Biggums posted:

So, monk players. Do you guys run your monks with or without armor? If you do use armor, what type would you recommend?
I generally use medium armor on monks as well. In The White March, you can also take Iron Wheel, which generates DR as you acquire Wounds (like Turning Wheel) -- but it's pretty high level, IIRC.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wizard Styles posted:

I had my Monk in Hand and Key for most of the game, but that was mostly because it looks amazing
Hand and Key and Sun-Touched Mail of Hyran Rath are my two favorite armor appearances in the base game.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hand and Key is still probably my overall favorite, but there are two new suits of armor in The White March that look really nice.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SoggyBobcat posted:

Is there any new music in the expansion?
Yes. Justin Bell composed new music and we recorded about 75% of it with an orchestra. We also recorded a tavern song with classical guitar and a singer that turned out nicely.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

Was the singer you
No, it was a professional singer.

Hulk Smash! posted:

When you say "orchestra" you mean all the Obsidian people that can sing and that you could muster in the building lobby, right?
No, it was an orchestra in Budapest. For the base game, we only used OEI people for the trailer music and a few violin solos (by Katrina Schnell).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I like singing but I'm still friends with a lot of the musicians I knew when I was in the Lawrence Conservatory. It's hard enough for professional musicians and they're obviously much better at it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, I'm interested in the soulbound weapons.

Also, how early on do you figure players will start seeing Expansion content? RIGHT when they take their fortress or later down the line? Or is it done by like chapter?
I don't remember exactly where it triggers but I think it's shortly after getting to Defiance Bay.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah I noticed that yesterday and have talked to a few folks about it.

e: I followed up and it's just an instruction set/data bug with a few individual spells (like Gaze of the Adragan).

rope kid fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 13, 2015

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Were fire blights always basically immune to piercing damage? I didn't think so but idk
They were resistant but now they are immune (also immune to Burn).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SunAndSpring posted:

Ah good. So will they recognize they can use level 1 and 2 spells per encounter once they hit the right level?

They don't currently, but they will eventually.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

X_Toad posted:

Do we get any long range weapons with blunt damage to compensate for that?
Wands and sceptres both do Crush.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

rope kid, do you plan to eventually release a dictionary or grammar book or something along those lines? Maybe not "officially" but at least on the side (like your mod for FNV)?

It seems to me you spent a lot of time coming up with the languages, and it shows in the game, so it'd be great if we could get an extended version or a peak at your notes/rules.
I wasn't planning on it. The languages are developed as we need new things, so it's not like there's a huge lexicon outside of what you see in the game. I don't want anyone to have the impression that I've done work to the same extent as Tolkien or the dude who developed Dothraki/High Valyrian for the GoT series. Most of the language work for PoE is relatively shallow.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes.

E: There's also a new 7th level wizard spell called Llengrath's Warding Staff.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Hannibal Rex posted:

first of all, giving different rest bonuses different durations is absolutely counter-intuitive and needlessly opaque.
The only reason it was ever opaque was because programming didn't implement the listed durations until patch 2.0. They were always intended to be displayed.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Octo1 posted:

Will there be new portraits in the expansion?
Yeah, there are a small number of new portraits.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Matt Sheets loves doing six wizard runs. The AI scripts make it much easier to do full parties of casters now.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Throwing weapons are not implemented, though there is a dagger throwing game (scripted interaction) called Orlan's Head in Stalwart's tavern.

The main campaign does not scale, but there is an option to bump up the difficulty of the final fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Excelzior posted:

is there any advantage to defeating the harder final fight? Achievement, better loot to carry into Part two, etc?
No.

• Locked thread