Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Excelzior posted:

I thought that's what difficulty levels were for?
Difficulty settings are still designed around an expected average party level. With The White March coming out, the potential range of levels in the endgame is between 7 and 14. That's why we have an additional check for very high level characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It was probably mentioned earlier, but would I need to start a new game with patch 2.0 if I'm not using the beta?
You shouldn't need to, no.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wizards can only use spells that are in their currently equipped grimoire. You can switch the spells that are in your grimoire outside of combat (from among any you know via level-up or learning out of found grimoires) or you can switch your grimoire in combat, though you can't cast spells for a short while after switching.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

TWM branches off from the main game about the time you get to Defiance Bay. If you've already completed the game (and haven't deleted older saves), you should have a "pre-pit" autosave that you can use.

Personally, I think a 7th or 8th level party is a good fit for TWM's crit path, but the side content is meant for characters that are 11+.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Levantine posted:

I burned out on my playthrough of 1.0 near the end of Act 2. Good game, just got distracted by life and never got back to it. Has the Keep restoration part of the game been made more useful or is it still just kind of there?
We didn't design new stronghold content for Part I, but it's been a focus for me for Part II.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Piekuuns posted:

So, is it recommended to start a new game for the White March in case of some possible weirdness with old save games?
There *~ shouldn't ~* be any save game weirdness.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Darkhold posted:

For an endgame save where do you need to go in Defiance Bay to get the quest trigger?

It's not a place in Defiance Bay that triggers it, but already having visited (IIRC) Copperlane. So if you're anywhere near the endgame, you should already have been notified to go talk to the steward at Caed Nua.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Launch trailer btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zia_EVYaOg

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

IIRC it's less expensive to respec a character than it is to "buy" one from an inn.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Evil Sagan posted:

Am I going to be screwed in terms of meeting criteria for upgrading soulbound weapons if I go at the expansion content with most of the core game content cleared?
It is possible. For the next patch, I've lowered some of the more eye-watering requirements and BMac has made a code fix that allows a fall-through for class or race-specific damage/kill requirements at 5x the base value. E.g. if you've massacred every wizard in the game and have a weapon that requires 5 wizard kills, you can fulfill the requirement by killing 25 of anything with the weapon.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Elias_Maluco posted:

When is part II scheduled to come out?

Not for at least several months. We've just recently started on it. Sorry.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Wizard Styles posted:

Just installed the expansion and it's taking a lot of willpower to not take a look at the resource files and check if there are new pets.
I don't know where the specific pet file is, but there's potentially a big spoiler for one part of the expansion in there!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

SR: Dragonfall and SR: HK are both great expansions, btw.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, Cragholdt is the main new high level area.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

bunnielab posted:

rope kid your game is very good and pretty much is a perfect homage to the IE games. I hope you guys make some money on this and can keep on keepin on. I am a fickle dude when it comes to RPGs but I cannot stop playing PoE.
Thanks. I hope TWM lives up to your expectations.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Evil Sagan posted:

Thanks for the quick responses, rope kid. The next patch sounds great, any idea when we can expect it?
Next week, most likely.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

Do you already have ideas/basics for what's after that (TWM pt. 2)? The second expansion, PoE 2, whatever is next. Can you share what the metrics are to determine whether or not Obsidian will keep going with the Pillars of Eternity world?
We'd like to keep making games in the PoE world. I don't know what metrics the owners would require for us to move forward with that, though. A lot of us have talked about ideas for PoE2 but we haven't done any work beyond that.

On an unrelated note, I've had conversations with Feargus about doing a small scope turn-based historical low fantasy game and they haven't ended with me being kicked out of his office/the building.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The owners of Obsidian.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Letting people have levels of spells is much more complicated than offering individual spells or abilities. I did not receive a lot of feedback on the cross-class Talents from the team or QA, but it's not difficult to tune existing abilities/talents up.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dick Burglar posted:

Soooo I just tried retraining my level 7 main character and it didn't reset my skills, so I ended up with basically doubled skill points. Repeatable when I reloaded and tried again. Anyone else seeing this bug?

I let QA and programming know about this but they have not been able to reproduce this. Would you be able to provide a save game? Sorry for the trouble, and thank you.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Accordion Man posted:

All right, what AI option do you have to set to where your guys will auto-attack the next enemy once they kill one? Because even with fiddling with the AI options some of of my guys just stand there and do nothing.

Auto-attack set to Aggressive.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

evilmiera posted:

Asking again since I presume a few people have reached that point: In Stalwart, are there only two souls I can awaken for the main quest or is that it?
That's it.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Furism posted:

(some people dump Con on their tank, I don't like that)
In case people missed it, Con now modifies Endurance by 5% per point instead of 3%. Dumping it a little isn't that dramatic, but a really low score can result in fragile characters.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Most of the feedback I saw on Defender was negative, but I saw one or two people in favor of the changes. Granted, the pool of people commenting wasn't large, maybe 6-8. I'd like to see more feedback on it in play. Fighters with >10 Con have more Endurance now and Constant Recovery scales (though it starts with a lower base value). Between the changes to Defender and Wary Defender, it's a loss of 20 points of Deflection -- a lot, but D/WD shield-based fighters were incredibly far ahead of other characters in the late game. The alternative I proposed was reducing Accuracy, but for a character who's just attempting to hold a line, that may not be a meaningful drawback for the modal.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Is Concelhaut, the Lich supposed to be the hardest enemy in the game now? (Cragholdt Bluffs Spoilers)
One of them, yeah.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

sassassin posted:

Lay on hands sucks.
After patching, I think it's pretty good. :kiddo:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

Just getting to play now, I agree some of the multi-class talents are maybe a little aggressively tuned.
I probably won't be tuning these for the upcoming patch, but I will for the next one.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I did and sent it to QA for testing but have not heard back yet. Thank you.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Azuth0667 posted:

White March was working fine yesterday but, I go to boot it today and get a crash. Verifying the cache leads to it saying ~250 files need to be validated but, upon doing that it gives me a disk read error. Other games and programs on that drive work fine so the next step I am going to try is reinstalling the game. However I don't want to lose my saves is there a way to retain them?
I believe save games are installed in a separate location from the game installation.

Jerusalem posted:

I won't have time for a couple of days to play it, but I loaded up the game after getting the expansion just to make sure I had an appropriate save to use/pick up the new quest and.... did the game get prettier? I remember it looking pretty good, but it looks REALLY good to me now, have their been graphical improvements in a patch or did I just not really notice it before?
In one of the early patches I think we fixed some filtering, but that was a long time ago. The expansion areas benefit from the area artists being much more comfortable with the art creation pipeline and our paintover artists getting more aggressive with adding details.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, this wallpaper is finally available:

http://eternity.obsidian.net/media/wallpapers/whitemarch-companions

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Spiritshift armor and weapons now get more powerful every three levels.

A lot of the base class abilities (e.g. Constant Recovery, Arcane Assault) scale now.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

If you report bugs in the Obsidian forums, we have QA folks who can answer/ask questions and will put them into our bug queue.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can get Zahua very early in The White March. The Devil of Caroc takes a little more time to get to, but you can take both of them back to the main game areas.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Kurtofan posted:

Do I need to load a save before the point of no return to play the dlc?
Yes, but we do create an auto-save when you're at the end.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes, and once ogre clans get large enough, it's difficult for the matriarch to keep them all in line, so they often either fall apart or split off into new clans that fight with the old ones.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Any time we introduce an intelligent creature that is generally hostile to kith by default, I ask the designers why those creatures haven't waged extensive war against kith races and destroyed them. Xaurips have somewhat limited intelligence and are small. Ogres are paranoid and extremely aggressive, even toward each other. Vithrack have very low reproduction rates. Dragons begin as wurms, having very limited intelligence. They are more intelligent by the time they become drakes, but most are not intelligent enough to avoid notice and are often hunted down by kith or fully grown dragons/their agents. It doesn't explain everything, but we do try to have somewhat plausible reasons for why Eora isn't OgreWorld.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

Canonically, what are summons?

Are they some sort of illusion made real or are we actually pulling dudes from somewhere and plopping them down or are they some sort of living companion like thing that exists as a formless essence until we give it shape in our time of need?
They are amalgamations of soul energy given a physical form, not actual people/creatures. When they are destroyed or dismissed, they dissolve back into soul energy fragments diffused in the Between.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Nothing really sticks out as being particularly troublesome. Early on, Glanfathan orthography and much of its basic vocab was based on Old Irish and it made a lot of people on the team sad, so eventually I had to rename everything with a Cornish orthography. That was a pain, but ultimately not a big deal. Some designers want to include incongruent things but I try to work with them to figure out a way that they can fit into the setting.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

GlyphGryph posted:

Cool. Does that mean we might eventually get summons of stuff that doesn't actually exist?
As far as I am aware, there is nothing in the LORE that would prevent this. The metaphysical boundaries of magic in PoE/Eora aren't as defined as (for example) Hermetic magic in Ars Magica.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There's a special conversation option you get on another map if you earn the Flick of the Wrist Talent from Orlan's Head. :kiddo:

• Locked thread