Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Litany Unheard posted:

I see a lot of complaining about NPCs not being built to some weird optimization standard and it annoys me. In all of the RPGs I've played it's never mattered if some character had a sub-optimal feat or skill point allocation. And personally, if I'm rolling with an NPC in my party their combat/mechanical role is a secondary consideration to their personality and how they jive with my main character.

Too true, hell Obsidian even gives you the option of rolling with your own party if you want a team of ubermensch. Although I'm sure some people will see that as... something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

frajaq posted:

I'll probably do this :sigh:

Do titles of eighties hair metal songs like me.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I'm not sure why you'd want a rogue that didn't have the Bloody Slaughter talent, it's so good.

Stack it with a Death Godlike Rogue. Yeah I won't let it go. Death Godlike are super cool. In both looks and lore.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Airfoil posted:

Telltale bought the PoE IP?? Nooooo!

Seriously please don't even joke about that.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VDay posted:

Or these forums.

I'm glad that the developers are putting more thought into the game from a modern context. Personally I feel like that this game shouldn't be slavishly devoted to the same design choices of the IE games. But rather evoke the same feeling that I get when playing them. From just playing the Backer Beta I feel like they're on the right track with the proper feeling.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you guys are that worried about making names that fit why don't you use Behind The Name's Random Renamer? You can pick any sort of culture or origin of name and just generate a few random ones. That's how I named my Death Godlike Rogue Nyx Jacobson.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fewd posted:

Yeah, now to actually give paladins cruel and aggressive reputation when they run around killing and abusing people, instead of rational, stoic and whatever the hell, then it'd be a pretty good system that makes sense.

Oh I get it you turned off the tags for dialogue. Come on though, the condemned reps for Bleak Walker aren't Stoic or Rational it's Benevolent and Diplomatic, are you telling me that you're somehow picking those? Cause I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if you have other dispositions, you just can't have Benevolent or Diplomatic. Then again I could be misunderstanding your problem completely.

Edit: V Oh, no worries dude.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Mar 30, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Broken Cog posted:

These are literal game-breaking bugs, they mess up your stats and saves, and can give you an entirely different experience than what you'd get normally, let's not dance around it.

The game is good fun, but if someone wants to wait for a patch ironing out the worst bugs, I really can't blame them.

Edit: Btw, what exactly are the pillars of Eternity? Can't say I remember too many pillars in this game, other than the ones in the tutorial dungeon at the beginning.

Umm they're dependant on player action rather than the game deciding to break. And we know specifically what causes them. So yes while they alter stats they're dependant on player action rather than random variables failing. That alone lowers the scale, but I will agree that some bugs that you have no control over (Rederick's hold bug, insect swarm persistence) are bad. Then again I'm being a huge pedantic baby about what constitutes a game-breaking bug, but I'm also playing the game and it's been smooth sailing for me specifically. So please take my retort with a grain of salt.

Edit: VVV Yeah, fair enough man.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 2, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you enchant an item will the first tier of the enchantment be overridden by the second one? Or is it a one and done affair?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Leinadi posted:

I believe the blacksmith in Dyrford sells it.

Just got the best dialogue option ever (near the end of the game). Made me laugh despite the seriousness of the scene

When Iorvana (or whatever her name is) talks about how there are no gods, my Philosopher Orlan who annoyed the priesthood in his background, got a unique dialogue option to say "I KNEW IT!". Well done Obsidian, haha!

Holy poo poo.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Ropkid: Next patch can you give the pets that little blue aura that enchanted things have because I keep accidentally selling them,

lol

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Basic Chunnel posted:

I cannot get over the realization that Durance is literally D&D Daniel Plainview

Well poo poo now I wish he simply had a kicking rad moustache.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vehementi posted:

Did we ever learn what a biawac is? Is it the engwithian machines scooping up souls to give to Woedica or something?

It's a soulnado. Ala Mortal Kombat.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There's a bit of an annoying bug where if you equip Boots of Speed (+3 Move Speed) and finish a battle your character walks slowly again. But in order to fix this means I have to re-equip the boots again in the menu, it's a rather ironic bug considering how it makes sneaking around hilariously easy. Unfortunately I think they worked fine after battles before the patch?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Superstring posted:

Every Obsidian game has to be depressing huh? :smith:

At least all the companions in this game don't seem to hate each other's guts.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You know I really appreciate a game that allows me to be honest to my detriment.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Grieving Mother is really good. Too bad about the mind dungeon. Makes me rather ravenous for the sequel due to the possibilities.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WarLocke posted:

In PoE2 you are Kreia :aaaaa:

gently caress. Please let them get a sequel out of this.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Umm... In the Parable of Wael (Spoilers) okay so if you bury the scroll all the nerds in the temple try to fight me? Without any explanation or anything? I feel like Wael hosed me.

Edit: drat I knew that my endless pursuit for lore would be my undoing.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 8, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hmm a quality post. With three exclamation points...

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Okay so (Twin Elm Quest Spoilers)I did the mission for the Three-tusk leader dude who wanted to kill the baby, and his son comes up and says that I should kill his father. I took the baby because this place is hosed and I was a godlike and wanted to see if it got brought up. The son guy tries to amber alert me but I murder him because apparently my benevolent nature can't be trusted even though he trusted me earlier. So he's dead and I go poison the father by giving him a vial and lying to his face. Cool thing about that quest is how your companions react to your choice to take the baby. Pallegina's is pretty good, but Grieving Mother's is also pretty hilarious as she's like "I appreciate that you want a family, but dude we get into fights all the time. Maybe hold off till we're not tearing rear end around Dyrwood?" Unfortunately no one mentioned the Godlike thing so now I just have a baby in my stash...

I'm kinda shocked at the reactivity of these quests considering I should be pretty close to the end. I mean this game is great despite the surprisingly low budget compared to AAA games.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Section Z posted:

I think you need to break the tables a bit harder to convince people this is the one true opinion.

It's understandable given some people's evident lack of reading comprehension in this thread.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Viscardus posted:

If someone can honestly look at this and tell me that, without even knowing at that point that I'll have to choose one faction to side with in the future, it should be obvious that just answering "Where do I begin?" will lock me into a specific future decisions... well, I don't know what to say. Clearly some people here are just way better at video games than I am. :rolleyes:

I don't know are you seriously telling me that you can't use context and reasoning to assume that the Knights and Doemenels will probably hate you if you do stuff that makes them hate you?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hmm I guess with such an overwhelming amount of "yes" in this thread there's really no choice but to relent.

If you guys don't find it to be clear then the only logical and reasonable thing to do would be to make the dialogue less ambiguous or at least change the quest log to reflect the alliance. You guys are right.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrShevek posted:

The issue with the end of act 2 is that nothing you do in A2 really matters. I am ok with some railroading. If the Duc must die and chaos must ensue, so be it. However my choice of faction in A2 (and at least some other things I did in Defiance Bay) should have meant something tangible for A3. I should continued to work with that specific faction in meaningful ways. Maybe I could have gotten a late game faction specific joinable NPC at that point as well. Also, sticking us on a balcony IS cheap. Maybe my party but not me. The actions you took during the trial itself should gave led to some different way of exiting the city as well. There just needs to be more choose your oan adventure stuff for a big set piece thing like that. It just felt like a wasted opportunity to do much much more. It wasn't as bad as the end of Mass Effect 3 but it felt similar.

You have to play by the rules while Theos doesn't. How do people not get this yet? Also really harsh calling this similar to the end of Mass Effect 3. The second act usually serves as the downslope in the narrative, where things go from bad to worse. This is pretty bad. The third act is the resolution. It's a basic formula, but it works. Mass Effect 3 abandoned that tension causing a weird schizophrenic pacing where you're chilling with space bros but there's literally Damascus's Reapers hanging over your head. (Act 2 Ending Spoilers)Theos is established as being special. Normally he wouldn't do this, but we actually forced his hand. Causing him to intervene and make things worse. It makes sense narratively and logically.

Also the faction stuff served it's purpose which was getting you into the hearing. I mean it would be nice if there was more stuff, but the stuff that's there is fine. It is not a 'wasted opportunity' as you stated there are limits to what can be accomplished and three faction-specific hireable NPCs isn't a good use of the limited money. Culling of expectations should be the name of this thread. I mean maybe I'm fanboying or whatever, but what is in the game is impressive given the money and time they had.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrShevek posted:

I love the game (9.5/10 for me, a modern classic) but it should be judged on its own merits with zero consideration to the constraints if its budget. Every game has development problems. I would argue the model this game followed had advantages as well.

While I concur that the faction stuff served a basic function, it did not work as well as factions in other Obsidian games like New Vegas. They can do much better.

There is nothing wrong with pointing out what they could improve in an xpac or sequel. If they dont know what's broke, they wont fix it.

Fair enough, I suppose that's a good point. Obsidian probably wouldn't want someone to judge their games by different standards. But I think saying things like "this is how it was in other Obsidian games" is just as detrimental an attitude. The purpose that factions in this serve a different purpose than the ones in New Vegas, where that's the main draw and central conflict of the game. So comparing them similarly isn't fair as well.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I didn't have a problem with the end of Act 2, rather it was only then that the plot cohered for me. We already know the extent of Thaos's powers so it wasn't out of the ordinary that we got chumped by him. I suppose it would have better satisfied most players if they got the opportunity to try and stop him, and give us a fairer explanation as to why they failed. But hindsight, 20/20 whatever.

I think of Pillars as the first work of a new IP, with all the novelties and faults expected of a new IP. Compared to the first efforts of Fallout and Baldur's Gate it's a resounding success and what comes next can only be more excellent. Maybe we could that module that's the fantasy/sci-fi equivalent of The Wire that Chris Avellone goes on about.

But really if you think about it you have to fail. Things have to go bad. Giving the player control only to have them have to fail is an illusion that would've probably upset players. But a way it could work is you have one of those darkfall sequences where you attempt to stop Theos, but he still gets away regardless. But using your attributes or skills you either gain information about Theos or you get something that points the way to him. Maybe you maim him or something for the boss fight?That would be a good way to give a player control over the situation that falls in line with the things in game and wouldn't take away agency from the player. But I will agree that the player should have more input at the end of a sequence like that.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DrShevek posted:

The factions in this game are completely thematically connected to the main conflicts of this title. In fact, they are more fundamentally tied to those central themes than New Vegas factions are to its themes. When coupled with the fact that this game has a superior but way underutilized reputation system, it is clear they wasted an opportunity with their execution here.

I can understand the sentiment here, but I would argue that they weren't thematically connected to the main conflict. I mean you get people misunderstanding the fact that choosing one faction will lock you out of another. So clearly more could be done to establish their narrative weight. The first time you even know there's mention of 3 specific factions you can choose is possibly the beginning of Act 2. Your main conflict has always been your Awakening and trying to fix that. As such the factions serve as a way to accomplish that goal.

But if you mean the animancy stuff again that takes a back seat to your main drive. (Act 2 spoilers)You argue for animancy in the trial because you either 1) actually care about animancy and hope that it gets represented fairly or 2) Are simply using this as a way to mess up Theos' plans in order to piss him off/draw him out.

Edit: VVV Haha yeah probably.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 15, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

And that's why (insert pop star here I dunno) is a greater musician than Beethoven by any real metric, right?

Hyperbole, yes, but appealing to popularity is demonstrably fallacial, and also extremely gay. It's certainly not going to convince anyone of anything ever.

This is why we have Internet forums boys. We've made it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Harrow posted:

I can't speak to much of this, but this part seems directly contradictory. Maybe it's different in context, but this reads like the author is complaining that damage in combat lacks long-term consequences, but also that it's too easy to take long-term damage.

Hmm seems like the author of the article is grasping at straws for reasons as to why he dislikes the game (as if there weren't a bunch!). Or that could be Astfgl's gracious summarization of the article.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Roguelike posted:

You might enjoy the style, but there's tons of problems. For example here's Eder's intro:

What did we learn? He smokes and is wearing a straw hat (neither of which is represented in engine). Oh, and he looks at people, but not aggressively. A little purple prose is fine, but every sentence in the game is like this, filled with useless adjectives that do nothing but pad some writer's word count.

There wasn't really an effort to decide how people should talk, so everyone ends up as kind of bland fantasy character. With the exception of Durance who seems to have wandered in from another game and is the only character in the setting that seems to know the words 'whore' or 'cock', which is jarring in its own way but refreshing compared to the rest of the cast. Compared to the recent Shadowrun or Wasteland 2 or Dragon's Age or even something off-genre like Dragon's Dogma, there's absolutely no attempt to use a writing style to develop the setting other than just straight up telling you about it about all the cool words they made up for it.

The PC responses are equally soulless. Here's one of the responses to the Glamfather leader in the tutorial:

It's a good thing there isn't much voice acting, can you imagine someone trying to voice act that line?

The overall style is very R.A. Salvatore and reminds me a lot of the game he wrote, Kingdoms of Amalur, which wasn't glaringly bad, but just completely unmemorable in every way and lacking in the fun or humor that could make up for it.

The writing isn't helped by the plot being 'bad guy want's to resurrect a dead god, but in a less interesting way than in Baldur's Gate 1'.

What I learned from this post is that Roguelike is effectively blind and can't read.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Periodiko posted:

I agree with a lot of those criticisms, but it's also sort of silly that literal design goals like "the classes are very similar to their D&D counterparts" or "some of the spellcasters use Vancian spellcasting" are under "con".

IMO the biggest issue with the endurance/health split is that health basically doesn't matter at all the vast majority of the time, and it's basically just a trick to make it so that fighting classes that don't rely on per-rest abilities have a need to rest too. Like this would probably be unpopular with some people, but it would make more sense to me if your health percentage wasn't feast or famine, and you basically got small penalties the lower health got. As it is, Health basically has no impact on Endurance until you are literally at risk of death in the next combat.

Oh no I totally agree with criticisms that are well thoughts and not phoned-in grievances that don't explain why they should be changed or how they hurt the game.

Yours for instance was good as it actually questioned ways in which the endurance and health system could be fixed and possible ways it could work.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scorchy posted:

Chris "Nihilism Started Getting Too Comfortable" Avellone did a community Q&A yesterday at Kotaku, covered a lot of writing stuff: http://kotaku.com/kotaku-asks-pillars-of-eternity-writer-chris-avellone-1699982395

I can't believe that I somehow like Avellone even more.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CarrKnight posted:

No. Short, terse, meaningful dialogue is not Counterstrike or NO WURDS. Writing grandiloquent wall of texts is not a sign of quality or depth. It's mostly a sign of poor editing.
Even if some themes might be perfectly acceptable in myths and fables they still don't translate well into videogames.

Take a well made RPG: Baldur's Gate 1. The plot is simple: bad guy kills father, bad guy really though, you run away, get stronger, turn back and take your revenge. It's a simple story but one that integrate seamlessly with the game you are playing. You are leveling up, you are looting monsters and items, you are gathering friends and allies: you are buffing up for the big bad battle. Plot reinforces gameplay, gameplay reinforces plot.
All advancing the plot really does is to increase the stakes. Oh, the bad guy is rich, the bad guy has powerful connections, the bad guy wants to start a war, the bad guy is a half-god. It's why BG1 is such a great game.

PoE doesn't work like that. The battles don't really inform the plot that much. A lot of monsters seem to be there to waste your time between one pointlessly long dialogue and the next. Shooting fireballs and calling of pillars of fire happen in the game but they really don't inform the plot. Discovering more about the gods and the lore doesn't not feed back in anyway into the game.
It's simply a bad setup for a game.

In PoE literally the plot is finding out some way to fix your awakening. Then the stakes continually get raised much like Baldur's Gate (apparently). All the battles are formality for you trying to stop yourself from going insane. The battles don't inform the plot that much because they're not part of the plot. At least the non-critical ones aren't.

Also can you explain how Baldur's Gate's battles inform the plot and gameplay? Because I'm pretty sure that my fight with Kobold horde #459 doesn't have much barring on plot.

Rascyc posted:

The kobolds were aiding/abetting in the iron shortage. They even leave little notes and stupid stuff laying around to give you insights. There's even that one kobold who is like "gently caress this poo poo'o'clock" in the mines IIRC.

There's a valid criticism here in that the encounter design in PoE can get a bit spammy (looking at you Skaen cult).

There's a lot of throw away encounters in the BG series though too no doubt.

Yes that is a good example. But my point is how many garbage fights there are in BG. Which have distinctly less thought put to them. Whereas the design of the Skaen cult is meant to be insurmountable numbers, but due to their lack of good armor and weapons make them easy to steam-roll. Or you can by-pass them completely.

TexMexFoodbaby fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 29, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Merdifex posted:

This makes me think, Durance is supposed to be a really ugly, hideous looking guy, yes? If so, I don't think his portrait really gives that away well enough.

Umm he's a pock-marked crazy homeless cleric. How didn't you take that away from the portrait?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hmm... condescension starting early tonight.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

frajaq posted:

Seriously, like there's criticizing unpolished features and there's just being plain mean

Too be honest everyone should pay attention to my own armchair design and my hilarious misunderstanding of the time and money needed to provide a fuller experience.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poptart_fairy posted:

OK, so I've gone for a ranged rogue I'm hoping to turn into some sort of inspiring leader/sniper woman but I'm playing on Easy as it's been years since I last played an RPG like this. Would it be worth turning up to Normal/Hard at some point if I'm having a smooth time of it, or is the jump in difficulty a lot more dramatic than the help messages are making out?

Normal really levels out rather nicely if you're rusted, but if you're feeling confident and bored on normal then I would definitely switch it to hard. But keep in mind that each difficulty modifies the number of enemies too.

Essentially if you're feeling bored turn it up to hard and see how it goes for a bit.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

poptart_fairy posted:

Cool, thanks. If it's numbers and encounters, rather than just straight up damage/armour buffs, I might switch it up sooner rather than later.

I should mention that turning on AI is helpful for normal, but on hard and higher it'll need some more direct management. Also I'm fairly certain there are damage and armor buffs on higher difficulties so when you become comfortable with the game mechanics then I would switch it up to hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Excelzior posted:

insane, stiletto dual-wielding, dwarf barbarians or nothing :colbert:

All the knees in Eora will tremble in fear.

• Locked thread