Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Alright goons,

So shadows. They can pop right next to your most vulnerable character at any time. Those characters then die. Is this stoppable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
In the spreadsheet I'm looking at arbalests do 22- 32 damage. Sure enough in game this is what the hold-wall's description says it does too. But the normal fine arbalests have a base damage of 25- 37 according to the tooltip. Is this correct? It seems like I'd be better off just maxing out normal arbalests than enchanting the hold-wall.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

derra posted:

Tooltip on enchanted weapons isn't .... right really.

The 15% / 30% / 45 is baked into the tooltip, but the game still treats it as 22-32+15%.

This matters when you look at abilities like sneak attack. Sneak attacking with a fine Arbalest is 22-32*(1+.15+.50) rather than (22-32)*1.15*(1+.5).

In other words, no, doesn't matter, they'll be the same enchanted.

Well, for instance the fine arbalest tooltip states base of 25- 37. The current effective damage is 28- 41 with only a fine enchantment. It seems almost as if you get 15% damage for free. The Hold-Wall has a nice 20% attack speed bonus, but for 3 enchantment points you could get a 45% damage bonus. Seems better than the unique?

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Ahhh, thanks for all the help guys. I had been totally misunderstanding the tooltip, sorry for all the confusion. So the Hold-Wall IS worth it, maybe, if the attack speed is better than what you could get with the 3 enchantment points. Back to the spreadsheet!

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012
Anyone have any cool ideas for an interesting tank? I've just started a new playthrough and though Eder is totally great already he's just pretty milquetoast. On my last playthrough my tank was a fire godlike paladin who really was ridiculous, she could have chilled out in front of the sky dragon all day and provided a useful buff and other neat stuff. I'm thinking of a chanter tank, is that viable? How about a caster tank?

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Sea Otter posted:

What I want from the difficulty is to keep the game play interesting. If "challenge" means that I need resort to rely on a specific tactics/strategy especially routinely (traditionally cheap summon tactic, for instance), it would make the game less interesting to me. If I crank up the difficulty, it simply means I need more tension. Pretty subjective indeed but I think it's the charm/luxury of a single player game, where I can play my own game in my own term without social annoyances including vanity-I can be thoroughly honest to myself. So, it's very natural for me to make full use of the feature of IE games, where I choose a moderate difficulty level (admittedly no PotD player here) and force-march till my party cannot fight any longer since it keeps the game play tense without locking out from tactical choices available especially when I let my party rest fully.

Broadly, I agree and I like your post. For me, the idea of playing on a higher difficulty level isn't rewarding. So there are more enemies. You rest more, you pause more, you cast more, your numbers aren't as good. Unless the player's scope to adapt (with difficulty) is proportional to the difficulty spike of playing the game the way it wasn't meant to be played, why does more of the boring stuff mean better?

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

X_Toad posted:

To be fair, who else could she report?

It's true. The other characters are about as noteworthy as Benjen Stark.

Uncle Benjen! NO!

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm not sure what this means. I never had a problem getting back for the (few) timed events. All the ones that require you to be at the fortress give you like a week to return.

Well for instance I've only once seen a travelling merchant and my stronghold is maxed except for dungeons. In the time it took to travel from one map to another the merchant had showed up then pissed off again. I'd have really liked to see what the merchant had because I've totally ran out things to spend my money on and I suspect I might have met all the other useful merchants in the game.

Edit: Haha beaten.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Emong posted:

You can buy stuff from the merchant from the stronghold menu without travelling there.

That wouldn't have worked mate, he showed up and then left within the time I was travelling from one area to another.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Furism posted:

What would be a good starting build for a PotD run with a Death Godlike Bleak Walker Paladin as the main tank? Are Paladins even viable as tanks on PotD? Should I keep her just as off tank?

PotD scares me :ohdear:

My first game was a Pally and I have a hard time believing tanks come much better. Deflection all the way, secondary saves important but not essential if you're prepared to reload. Dump dex because auto attack damage will suck anyway and dex doesn't matter for attacks of opportunity. Decent con, decent strength. Win game, since Pallies rule.

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Oasx posted:

I liked the stronghold in the game, but given a choice between between a limited stronghold and more content in the rest of the game, I would pick more content.

What was it you liked about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Oasx posted:

I like having my own place, that I can upgrade and walk around there knowing it is mine. I wish it was less of a money sink, because I didn't feel I could afford both it, and all the high level items I wanted. But just looking at it, seeing the Ogre I helped get a safe home, visiting the vendors and the library, it is just a nice feeling.

I can relate to that. When I think back on my favourite RPGs a lot of them had a great base minigame that really made the game i.e. NWN2, Suikoden 2. It's unfortunate the stronghold in this doesn't live up to those because the game is otherwise very, very good.

• Locked thread