Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

CottonWolf posted:

Hieronymous Alloy, I just checked the ranged Bleak Walker build. Black Path is focused on you, so if you're using a ranged weapon it's useless as all of the enemies are out of range. You can still get the bonus from Inspiring Triumph though, obviously. I've been using more or less exactly the same build in this BB with a pike and that works really well. You can get some quite impressive DPS out of a paladin if you build her right.

It's a shame though, a gun-toting Bleak Walker sniper would have been cool.

Clearly the answer is to engage the enemy more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Kiev is on the Dnieper and Lyon is right near the confluence of the Rhone and Saone for reference.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not sure making a game idiot proof will make for a better game. There is a reward in learning how overcome obstacles and understand the mechanics at play in order to use your abilities the best way. Having all playstyles be valid is inclusive but degrades the experience. I don't think it is unreasonable to expect the player to put effort into a game they are playing. I'm sure you will disagree.

The idea is that building a not poo poo character is easy, but you still have to actually use that character well. Rather than have system mastery be picking what the game wants you to use, it should be building the party to work well and using it according to its strengths. The presence of the ability to make irredeemably poo poo characters adds nothing to the challenges of using your abilities the best way, and doesn't mean the player can faceroll the game just because their characters have ways to be used effectively. What being able to make a useless character adds is the ability for players who don't have any system information to make bad decisions that hose them for the rest of the game, and thereby damages their ability to engage in the mechanics of using their character well because that character can't be used well.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 18, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

frajaq posted:

More like thousands of romance mods

Better females (reduces foot size).

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Eej posted:

More fantasy games should be set in the early modern era because medieval fantasy is so ubiquitous and stale at this point. Also early modern is far more interesting of a period to base things off than medieval.

The early modern era was in general irresponsibly rad and it deserves way more love.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm super looking forward to a game where states and cities seem to have gotten more than a one sentence fleshing out of societal stuff and exist as more than archetypes slapped on quest hubs.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Eej posted:

Let's kickstart a new medieval fantasy RPG but turn it around on people and later mention it's set in the Islamic Golden Age.

I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until now.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Well kickstarter is looking like it might have financed my game of the year twice in a row, so it's got that going for it.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

I feel that if you want a thick, pretty book about Pillars, the guidebook would make more sense: https://www.darkhorse.com/Books/28-219/Pillars-of-Eternity-Guidebook-Volume-One-HC

At the very least, I feel like you would get more use out of it if you are planning to go through the game blind.

Do you know if that's the World Almanac, Collector Book or something different?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's the Collector Book. It doesn't look like the Almanac is getting a physical release.

Awesome, thanks.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

X_Toad posted:

A polish person is doing an unboxing of the game :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjG3Ww3-IJQ

Those are some nice thick books.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

I'm definitely rolling a Goldpact Paladin with arquebus and two-handed sword for maximum Landsknecht, and I'll be playing Unser Liebe Fraue the whole goddamn time :allears:

Also, if you're playing a classic barbarian or some sort of wild man, Vulgaaris Magistralis might be your thing.

More music:

Wir Zogen In Das Feld
Die Landsknechte Kommen (mandatory of course)
Joerg von Frundsberg, fuerht uns an

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You probably don't want to. There aren't any romance subplots.

That's what Alpha Protocol, the best dating game ever is for.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm very into the idea of making a tanky goldpact paladin with a zweihander/arquebus for opening, but what would a good stat allocation be for that? Heavy resolve, mid might, mid perception?

I'm personally thinking a resolve/perception/intelligence paladin might be reasonably viable, and I want to max out the sweet dialog options.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sensuki posted:

If you build them as a tank character (shield, defense talents) then it would be extremely viable.

That's the plan. Shame it seems that damage classes are a bit underrepresented among the findable companions.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Darkhold posted:

Not picking on the poster that brought it up but currently doing a playthrough of NWN2 it's amusing what you'd have to go through to make every dialogue check in the game. You'd have Intimidate, Diplomacy, and Bluff. Also a lore skill that comes up rarely but does solve a few puzzles and adds occasional flavor text. So at least 4 skillpoints per level assuming you took the Able Learner Feat and at least dual classed into classes that have each of those skills (otherwise at least some of those skills will be 1/2 of the max per level). You'd also be wise to pick up gear that had +Diplomacy because a few of those checks have really high requirements if you're not burning more feats for skills. Perform also comes up but super rarely and I think you can make the gnome make most of those anyway aside from the trial IIRC.

I think you'd also need some in spellcraft if you go into MotB.

You also need charisma to be hitting those checks, or enchanted gear, I tried making a character with diplomacy but not high charisma, and missed literally every check of the first five or so.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Thing is, you can boost charisma so high (and other skills are so useless - companions can do crafting, you don't really need spot and listen for anything in the campaigns, parry is broken as gently caress, etc.) that it's actually pretty easy to make every talking check in the game without gimping anything if you're playing a class that gets anything at all out of Cha. Which, thanks to Divine Might existing, is like a third of the classes in the game.

Still, it's another factor to be aware of.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

Someone posted this unironically on the official forums, I'm dying.

Context. Please. I'm guessing that to them fun means feeling smug because other people picked trap choices but not me.

But seriously I'm pretty sure that people who derive self-worth from being able to avoid trap choices and all that have a natural antipathy to social justice and the like for pretty obvious reasons.

Dreylad posted:

The reasonable part of that argument - once you strip away the weird cult of disgust over one person and the self-defeating posturing about what a real CRPG looks like - is some of the mechanics in PoE seem like mechanics that make sense in a turn-based environment, but they've been put into a real time game. But the IE games have always walked that line for better or for worse, and I'm willing to give Obsidian the benefit of the doubt.

The funniest thing about that being that IE games are literally a rtwp kludge of a tabletop system.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 24, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Darkhold posted:

Don't forget these guys are already 'fans' and like any fan community they already think that designers make choices specifically to please or spite them. Kickstarter is just an added layer of giving them a reason to feel like the creator needs to respond personally to every post.

They seem to be confusing themselves as fans for themselves as being the fans.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

What is happening with Age of Decadence, anyway?

It's turning into a pretty interesting optimize character build to receive cool story bits game. The questline structure is top notch with how every bit reinforces that it's a world and you're not the only one who has an agenda and is doing things. However, if role playing is making choices as a character, then it is not an RPG, because you don't make those choices, you pick the path you build your character for and then follow that path.

It's like Stanley Parable or something, you play it to get to see this thing and how it's put together. And for what it is it is a legitimately fascinating world built out of quests. Plus Roman Magitech Fallout is the coolest thing. Apocalyptic Roman is just awesome be it fictional or after 200 in the West.

UrbicaMortis posted:

True, that's a good point. I'd suspect though that even if they do have some standards, they're still going to enter dodgy moral territory just because people who can afford to hire mercenaries are often not very nice people, especially in the pre modern era. On an individual level, there is probbly a mix of upstanding paladins who won't take really nasty work and those who will do anything for the coin. We don;t really have enough info to know where the organisation as a whole lands.

Actually, I wonder how being a solitary paladin, like you will be in PoE works? If you;re a kind wayfarer it makes sense but a solitary Bleak Walker wandering around seems quite strange.

Say what you will about the tenets of Bleak Walkerism, at least it's an ethos.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

People are misunderstanding what a backer is, they act like shareholders of Obsidian. He talking about the respect he deserves and stuff sounds like some guy that buys gifts for some girl and is angry that she's seeing other people (media/streamers)

Likely the same people to be honest.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I dont know posted:

As I understand it, they believe that suffering is an inevitable component of open conflict, and attempts to mitigate it only serve to extend the bloodshed. Under their reasoning being as cruel and awful as possible serves to bring about a quicker resolution and thus it ultimately better for everyone. This kind of reasoning exists in history. The inventor of the Gatling gun was a doctor and a pacifist whose goal was to make a weapon so bloody and terrible that open warfare would become completely unthinkable.

That was as much because the prime killer was disease, so the guy got the idea of making it possible for one gun crew to have the firepower of a battalion so they could use gun crews instead of battalions, reducing overcrowding and thus disease and meaning fewer men were out there to get shot.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

They have purchased games before, but now they're not simple buyers, they're the ~kickstarters~ this game would never had happened if it wasn't for their gracious gift of gold

They'd pull the same thing with a preorder, let's not lie to ourselves.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SurrealityCheck posted:

I'm super happy it exists. All the projects that I've thought "I want to back this" have turned out excellently - and I'm even glad that people backed broken age, because it means once the dust has cleared I will have a fun adventure game to play.

I got dragonfall, expeditions:conquistador and this out of it, that's a pretty excellent record.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Enjoying achievements and enjoying ticking boxes are two different things, and the later one is definitely funny.

In a game where triple crown solo exists, I don't think the box checkers are going to be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Section Z posted:

On that note, anybody have luck dual wielding torches as a silly gimmick?

Enchanted Torch of IcyHot, I want this to be a viable thing.

That might be good against ghosts, not sure about it against the higher DR stuff though.

Also my pale elf paladin conversation tank is easily ten times more hilarious now that I'm in practice. It turns out she's easily tough enough to have the lion's share of an encounter try to hit her, and with a fire and frost DR in the 20s she's practically immune to me laying down the fire spells from Aloth on top of the blob of enemies attacking her. Cleared the fight with Lord R. first try on hard without much trouble. Aloth caught enough focus that he went from freshly rested to less health than max endurance when he dropped, but he did some ruinous damage.

Rookersh posted:

Blugh, started as a Paladin, but since I didn't know how the stats worked I hosed everything up and rerolled as a Fighter.

Fighter was boring, all I had the option to do was hit everyone with knockdown over and over again, but he otherwise became kind of unimportant in the global party pretty quickly. Eder was a better tank, Aloth did more damage, etc. In BG going two handed weapons always felt powerful for some reason, yet here in Pillars it just feels like another damage source for my party I don't have to babysit.

I kind of like Durance outside of his extremely oddball choice of spells. I don't see myself using half this poo poo, just the buffs. But I suppose a Paladin or Chanter would be a better choice if I want to play a supportive buffer, especially since I still like fighting. What would a Priest lose by throwing on plate armor/grabbing a warhammer or gun?

I feel kind of stuck here. I like tanking but Eder seems like a perfect party fit. I like being a supportive melee person, but Pallegina fills that role. It seems each role is defined enough having two there just leaves you with somewhat wasted excess, so going the classes I want are out.

I wouldn't mind kicking Durance out for being creepy, but would I even be able to make a melee/sturdy Priest that just plays buffbot while wacking dudes?

I've spend a lot of the game so far running a tank paladin main character, triple two hander melee (barbarian, Kana and Eder), Aloth and Durance and it's been good despite a lot of overlap from the massed melee so I wouldn't worry too much.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 28, 2015

• Locked thread