Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The beta is a little overtuned in difficulty, correct? I'm still having a little trouble with it but I just picked up the quests and rushed through to try out the combat without stocking up on supplies first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pikes and stuff can hit "through" friendlies, right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Jackard posted:

Oh my god, polearm paladins

Time to make a landsknect goldpact paladin I guess

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

That reminds me, is there 'post-credits' gameplay?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How do you guys manage camping supplies? It seems like you run out pretty fast.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

Watching people play a genre you have mastered is the most frustrating thing in the world. You should watch cook people like Beagle instead, he's a loving XCOM savant.

I remember watching people with previews of XCOM. God that was a rough week.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Darkhold posted:

Are you talking about the base game or the Xpack? Watching reviewers play the Xpack was epic.

*walks his sniper out in the open setting off 10 Exalt members*

'Whoa this game is really hard guys'

Both really. You couldn;t tell the actual difficulty cause people would just sprint snipers into the open as their last action.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Firstborn posted:

Tell me what you like about the Goldpact guys. I'm trying to decide on an order.

Goldpacts are mercenary paladins who are devoted to the idea that a contract is the highest law and will do absolutely anything to carry it out.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

itt people havent paid attention to game design since the late eighties

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Sherman's middle name was Tecumseh

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I wanna make an orlan rogue but it seems like it wouldn't work well together. Are orlan good at any melee classes? I guess Paladin but I was gonna do that as a second class. Maybe a CC fighter?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So do people always max their primary stats or is going up to 16 or so acceptable?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Incidentally is it possible to console-command a bunch of experience in the beta so I can see where I want to go with a build?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Incidentally how does hits-to-crits stack if you have multiple of them- does it check twice or add together?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I;m just using the frequent milhist thread posts about the daily lives of 30YW mercenaries for names of adventurers.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

VDay posted:

Has anyone found a decent portrait of a female death godlike that uses the more helmet-looking head option? The one in the middle row of these: http://i.imgur.com/LCd5mWE.jpg

It's kind of a bummer that not all godlike head options are represented in the game (unless the final release/day 1 patch add a bunch more).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Didn't someone say there's a unique gun in the very first area?

e: there we go

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

shadows can suck it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What do the anvils in the inventory screen mean?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Schizotek posted:

So sweet pistol-finders, how do I get to it from the beer? Because. I. Still. Can't. Find. It. And my spergitude will not let me leave here without it. Tried scouting the SW campsite. Nothing but beer. I hear mechanics increases your chance to find stuff and mine is 0.

Go to the very, very south of the map. There should be a camp and some lean-tos. Scout near them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you have build anxiety remember you can hire new people an hour in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

lmao if you dont solo the bear as a rouge

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Picked a man up by his collar as an orlan, GOTY 2015

Eder has armor which lets him revive after knockout, but if he's last man standing it will say you've lost even as he gets back up and starts fighting. Bug or WAD?

Spikeguy posted:

I've seen it on a couple of let's plays and demos' but what are the dots above the characters during battle? Is that a setting you have to turn on? I don't see them above my characters when we fight.

Mouse over them or hold Tab.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 27, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Average Bear posted:

I really don't know what kind of character I want to make. I want someone who is fun to roleplay with, but also interesting to play. Fighter gives the freedom I want for point allocation, but its pretty bland as well. Wizard and Cipher seem fun to play, but don't have the recommended stats for dialogue choices I want.

My general advice is go for someone that's fun to roleplay since anyone that's fun in combat can be easily created at the adventurer's hall.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

glug posted:

I'm early on, in the ruined temple in the first town, and I've noticed sometimes I don't get xp for shadows. I mean, a room with 5 shadows will kill the 3 of us easily, but when I burn them all to a crisp with two firebreath-ish things, none of us got any xp. Am I doing something wrong, or missing how xp is doled out?

Theres no XP for kills but you get XP for filling bestiary pages (by killing people) so they stop giving XP after a dozen or so.

Mechanics question: How does hit-to-crit stack? If I have Minor Threat and Dirty Fighting is that one roll at 20% or two at 10%? Also, if I get a graze-to-hit can it then hit-to-crit?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Does Envenomed Strike scale off weapon damage?

e: and bloody slaughter increases crit damage against all targets correct?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Starting every fight with a volley fo gunfire that takes out half the opposition will never get old.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Roobanguy posted:

hell yea beagle dog

Where?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Battle axes aren't in a weapon group with a gun though :smith:

Tabletops posted:

I have to finish Caed Nua? :( I went there around level 4 and got promptly destroyed. So many shades and shadows and phanstasms.

Is there a trick to it?

Make sure you have 6 companions.

Popete posted:

Are their class equipment restrictions that I'm not seeing? I started a human enchanter who has mail and a sword/shield. But I'm not entirely sure what equipment I should go for. Seems like they are comfortable up close so medium or heavy armour. Maybe a two hander.

No restrictions, and not even many 'soft' restrictions

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How does DoT damage interact with Intellect? I'm assuming they don't stack with themselves, does it do the same amount of damage per tick?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

So from brief testing, it appears that Intellect makes DoTs happen longer but not stronger, and they are refreshed on hit anyway. Unless I'm misunderstanding that means that low Intellect makes DoTs flat-out better?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I haven't seen any teleporting enemies other than the shades, other than one or two rouges that went invisible.

Dutymode posted:

How do you keep your rogue from getting butchered if you're starting combat with a stealth attack?

use guns

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Why does my character have 1 end and 1 hp. Priest heals that restore endurance don't do poo poo etc. Iknow i can camp to restorite but eh. The whole hp system is confusing as gently caress

Health is only restored by resting (and a few per-rest abilities.) Endurance can't be higher than health (else you'd die at high endurance). Health is 4x Endurance IIRC and is decreased at the same rate.

Octo1 posted:

I think Intellect can also increase the total damage you can do with DoT effects, but if you're (for example) using the rogue's Deep Wounds, and attacking the same target repeatedly, then Intellect won't do much for you.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna stack it but it *seemed* that it actually made it worse. There does seem to be some wonkiness with things not showing up correctly. I can't tell whether 'increased healing' affects ingoing or outgoing, and it looked like the combat log and the character screen were showing different numbers which were both wrong.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, Backstab is pretty marginal atm.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I hear CC rouge with high intellect is a fun build if you want support stuff

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

any aoe-heavy or crowd-control focused character needs intellect, resolve is arguably better than constitution for tanking

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah, the only new weapon set is a talent.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Are the summon items one-use consumable?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

That temple seems kinda tough for people with just 3 guys, follow the main quest a little bit and you'll get your Priest and your Chanter

Or just hire some people from the inn.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There's no mechanical reasons, generally having a high disposition will unlock more dialogue options but sometimes can bite back- I had a high Passionate disposition and this guy wouldn't take me seriously cause he thought I was too hotheaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Rookersh posted:

Any hints for Cipher? Things that work?

I like the theme of this class so far, but being super low defenses/health and having to be close to dudes doesn't seem to work so well so far.

Also should I be going for faster weapons to build Focus quicker? If I throw on two handed weapons with Soul Lash up, will my damage start going through the roof?

ciphers do well with guns

• Locked thread