Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I did not consider the fact that the cookbook would be in imperial units of measurement. Time to print it out, whip out a converter calculator and get to notes making

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ignoring the rest of the thead because holy fuckballs it moves fast, does the (sub)race you pick have an impact on the ingame choices? I see for example that one race cannot have children - does this have an impact on choices?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Average Bear posted:

Game sucks, can't play it because I can't decide on a class to stay as

QFT. Okay, what attributes are "best" for getting lots of dialogue options? Perception, intellect?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm getting a bit bothered by my cipher, its damage seems to be lacking. Anyone have pointers for a good cipher playstyle?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there any consequences to how you deal with the small xaurip you find in the tutorial dungeon (aka if you let it live or not)?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there a penalty for jumping back and forth from place to place because you wanted to check something/forgot X/... a bunch of times? As in, do npcs change positions, do events change without the player there, ...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What classes would benefit from both high int and high resolve?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What do people think of this rogue?

17 might
8 constitution
18 dexterity
12 perception
15 intellect
8 resolve

Hearth Orlan, blinding strike, Deadfire Archipelago drifter.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Yeah, it was mostly for dialogue choices - but maybe I can compensate with higher resolve? Also might is capped at 17 in char creation due to racial bonuses.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

aaww :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The "Mother's plea" quest: does this have larger ramifications beyond what reward you get? As in, if I say/hide that it's a placebo will this change events later on in the game?

Also survival seems pretty useless or am I missing something?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Did something change about encounters? I remember on a previous character that when in Easternwood I got close to the road to Raedric's Hold, I encountered some guy saying "hey, this is high-level content, don't go here yet". This time, I got out of one of the huts in Gilded Vale and the same guy was there but he recruited me to deal with Raedric. It's a bit odd, is what I'm saying.

Now, more importantly, what should I pay attention to when comparing weapons? Speed, damage, accuracy, ...?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Urgent question: if I kill all the caravaners there is no way to get the water bags right? Because Sparfel didn't drop them and if you pick them up at the south point of the map then the hostiles get spawned and you lose the ability to slaughter everyone.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Wizard Styles posted:

Do you mean weapon type (Daggers vs Stilettos) or individual weapons (Tidefall vs Blade of the Endless Paths)?

General guidelines to pay attention to. Also, for a thief should I go dual wield first or backstab first...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Can I set the game so it doesn't pause when I alt-tab out of it? I like browsing a little while the party is running through already explored territory but the auto-pause is blocking that. I can't find it in the options menu.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The Dregs posted:

You might try putting your guys into fast mode for that, cuts down on travel time.

I do, no worries there.

Actual design flaw: every one of the gravestones I activate first shows the "Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text [...]" text until I click on one of the other options. It's annoying and takes me out of the experience.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Huh. You know, I've always been a little unhappy with how much Obsidian focused their marketing around Avellone's talents. Obviously he's a great guy with a great deal of experience and skill, but before these forums I wasn't aware of Josh Sawyer and until just now I'd have sworn that Avellone is the lead writer for Pillars (it's Eric Fenstermaker). In a way it's a brand failure of Obsidian to give the spotlight to the rest of their staff.

Regardless, I look forward to whatever other project he gets involved in.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Megazver posted:

Giving your company a public face is smart business practice.

I'd say Obsidian's trajectory as a company in the last ten years would be far worse off if nerds like us didn't have a huge boner for RPG CHRIST AVELLONE.

I agree, what I'm saying is that they needed more than 1 public face. Eh, maybe that would be too difficult to engineer? IDK.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

evilmiera posted:

Him becoming the new proper face of Obsidian would bring a smile to my face. Half from knowing the company is in good hands and half from knowing those people on RPGcodex who feel that way are ripping their hairs out one by one.

Oh my. I may need to lie down for a bit ... :fans rapidly:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

How useful/good are the ingame books? I have a massive stack of them that I have yet to read but I can't be arsed to - am I missing out?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm talking in terms of content - so far it all seems very dry and not relevant to the characters and places you meet in any way.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is there any purpose to the pets, other than as cosmetics? I don't think I've encountered any quests relating to them, so I don't know what I'm missing?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I did it with a rogue - take all of your companion's items, kill her, kill Sparfel, lure the merchant towards you and you're pretty much set. The caravaneers all die in 1 hit.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Not to mention RPG Codex's reaction of proclaiming they must have been done by "a female Indian intern." :allears:

jesus

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Is it me or is the tiny animat pet completely bugged? I often see it either running in place or under the terrain map or upon loading a save I get *name error*.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So err, what's the point of certain attribute checks? For example, I got to the end of the dungeon under your keep, and there is an 18 resolve dialogue select - except that all it leads to is some bravado by the enemy and then combat starts. Are those things just flavor or does it change ... something? A battle boost, change of enemy strategy, alternate solutions, anything?

From what I can tell some of these [int > 15] or whatever checks are literally devoid of content that deviates from the other dialogues. In the above example, I get the same outcome if I just selected the [ATTACK!] option, as far as I can tell.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 18, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

O... kay how does one kill a dragon? Specifically a green-ish one? 'Cause he is wrecking my rear end.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What the hell happened here? I can make the check for 15 perception but not the 14 perception check? I don't even ...

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question: What is it that governs this response from Pallegina? Because I can't figure it out - is it the cruelty modifier? A specific quest I handled poorly? I have no idea.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay, who the hell resurrected Raedric? I cleaved that fucker in half, who stitched the pieces back together?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Erm: bug. I see Rinatto in the Celestial Sapling despite me having killed him previously. I can't interact with him though.

double nine fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 20, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Can you change the voice sets of characters you've hired? My sassy thief is wearing on me.

in the character stats screen, there should be a gear icon on the character portrait when you hover over it. Click that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm going through my party for some inventory management and - I feel like the starting gear for Aloth and Edér are more than good enough for the end-game. Am I missing anything important because the armor stats and abilities seem more than adequate for the job. Especially if I throw in a few more enchantments...

I never got a hang of this, by the way: how important is recovery speed?

I should note that I still need to kill that final boss underneath my keep and I am about to go to the end-game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Oh for the love of ... that's it. I'm not doing the adra dragon. One hit of its AOE attack and its party wipe. I'm not going to reload a bunch of times to pray to the RNG generator. I have better things to do than this.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

re:adra dragon. If there is anyone who thinks they can win this with my party - here's my save file. The adra dragon is already aggro because of the quest so ... have fun?

http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/493849/a6419cf8-4eb3-494a-8a94-922d0cb6d8d4%20quicksave.savegame

I refuse to believe this setup can win that combat encounter.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gently caress. YOU.

Petrifying spell saved my bacon here - that, killing the xaurips first, using summons to distract the beast and running into the tunnel towards its cash reserves and picking off the adragans one by one. Oh, and a 120 damage sneak attack by my rogue. It was stunning how quickly its health melted after casting that petrification spell.

Also there is no way that Raedric is more difficult than the adra dragon. But eh. Its dead and that's what matters. Edit: I just checked the combat log and it was my summoned beetle that killed the dragon, so it makes sense that it doesn't show up as most powerful enemy defeated.

fakeedit: hang on, these numbers don't make sense. The time in combat is identical to time traveling and their sum is greater than total time passed.

double nine fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 23, 2015

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Question about the ending:

I finished all the quests of the gods, but each time I said that I needed to think about it - so I haven't aligned myself with any of them. Does this have an impact on the ending and/or my choices leading up to it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A Steampunk Gent posted:

It does. If you go with one of them, make sure you keep up your end of the deal if you don't want any blowback

So should I go back and swear allegiance to one of them, or can I press on?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I finished the game, and I have to ask - is there a way to persuade Thaos that he was wrong, or does it always lead to a boss battle? It wouldn't change anything about my playthrough but I'm still curious.

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Thaos has been doing that for hundreds, possibly thousands of years. Makes sense you wouldn't be able to convince him.

Upon thinking about it, I agree with this. Also this game is far less talk-focused than Fallout or Arcanum, so it makes sense from a design perspective as well.

• Locked thread