Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

That's weird, you misspelled "The word “f**k” appears in dialogue" in the thread title. Paging a mod to correct this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

rope kid posted:

If you enable auto-combat slow (on by default on Easy), it shouldn't be too difficult or taxing.

Could there be "auto slow on combat start" option patched in later?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

evilmiera posted:

Getting distracted with other stuff was the bane of my Divinity playthrough as well. There just came a point where I was bored with what was going on after leaving the first town and all its complex stuff to go hunt things in a mine someplace. Didn't help that the story sort of tapered out either. It was still a great game, and I am glad I got it, but I've no intention of finishing it.

This also happened to me, just after the mines. But I'm still keeping my saves, because who knows, maybe one day I will get in the mood to finally finish the drat game.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I can't wait to play this game.

Furism posted:

Well I don't think it's that clear honestly. If it said "+0.5 Damage Multiplayer to All Crits" then yes it would be cristal clear. Because if that's the case it's a very powerful talent to have.

Sounds like a good talent for one-handers, due to them making more crits by default.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I'm a Youtube Creator, where's my early copy OBSIDIAN!? :argh:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is actually where I am in Baldur's Gate 2 right now. I kinda want to start my playthrough over as a different class / setup but I can't decide *which*.

That's why we invented coin toss.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fungah! posted:

Star Citizen counts as a failure, noooo question

Star Citizen isn't a kickstarter anymore, it's an offshore bank account on Virgin Islands.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Regarding Monks, you can always put a weapon in his off hand, like a hatchet for +5 deflection/peasant prof and it will work. He'll attack both with his fist and a second weapon with dual wield speed. But for me Monks are the best when you slap the heaviest armor and the biggest weapon you can find on them and go to the front lines, chopping heads and taking hits better than fighters do.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Aeonsim posted:

That doesn't actually work I just tried it and while the character sheet seems to suggest that will happen the Monk only ever ends up attacking with the Weapon in the off hand, they never use there fist.

Is it supposed to work like that?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

grrarg posted:

For the Bleak Walkers, pureeing the remnants of the opposing force is a strong benefit/strategic resource for the next conflict. Slaughter them all to set an example so next time the enemy surrenders when the Bleak Walkers show up.

So the Bleak Walkers are like Mongols.

Never knew Genghis Khan only wanted to bring world peace :v:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Pillars of Eternity, more like Pillars in my pants :gizz:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Dry Hump posted:

So I'm curious, how early can you pick up a gun? First town?

There's a unique pistol on the first map, hidden in a tent south of the caravan camp.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

They fundamentally changed rangers due to his popularity.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Many of your ideas are still detrimental to the fun factor of more normal gamers, but you at least understand your own thoughts. Most gamers in general don't.

Most people in general don't.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Giodo! posted:

Agreed. I'm trying to play IWD2 for the first time and it feels very fraught to put points into weapon specializations for my fighter. I'm not huge into actually role playing my characters down to their weapon choices, so my thinking is "what if I put a point in longswords and then find a really awesome mace that I want to use?"

I don't really care that much as I'm not trying to powergame it, but the decision feels overly specific.

It's just +1 to hit for weapon focus and +2 to damage for specialization. -4 if you aren't proficient but fighters are proficient with everything except bastard swords. It's not that big of a deal in IWD2, it's much worse in other IE games that are AD&D.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Tecumseh_Sherman#March_to_the_Sea

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Fun is dead. Fun remains dead. And we killed it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Captain Oblivious posted:

That being said they still shouldn't have backed off on the quasi-4E system of Per Encounter spells.

Last I heard, low level spells changing from per rest to per encounter at higher character levels is still in, if that's what you meant.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Basic Chunnel posted:

An Intel HD 4000 chipset is enough to capably run the game as far as GPUs go (very slight slowness, but nothing that really affects gameplay). The processor might be a problem, though - this computer has a 2.6 Ghz quad core so it's beefy enough to handle it.

I just did a quick test since my laptop has both Intel HD 4000 and NVIDIA card. The game was still smooth as my butt and a quick battle against some poor villagers showed no slowdowns. There still could be slowdowns with bigger spells that flood the entire screen tho, who knows.

To the rest of you, keep in mind that Intel HD 4000 is an integrated piece of poo poo on which Dungeon Siege 2 managed to chug, and that game will have its tenth birthday this August.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Walrus Pete posted:

Resident number-cruncher Sensuki says that rogues are the best class at using ranged weapons, and I don't have any reason to doubt him there. For specific abilities and talents I have no idea, I haven't touched the beta in months.

From reading the thread it does sound like bows aren't quite as powerful as other ranged options, but I'm almost positive the gap isn't wide enough that you'd consider a bow-user "gimped" at all.

Rogues get sneak attack for every pellet from blunderbuss. All 8 of them. Get penetrating shot for armor penetration and kill everything in sight. Be a wood elf or hearth orlan for added fun.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The word "durance" is actually a synonym for prison (usually vile).

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/durance

Durance of Hate from Diablo 2, for example.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

srb posted:

Everyone can have breastplates and plate armour and equip pikes and arquebuses, so that's what I'm gonna do! Although you would need 8 people for a mini-square with 4 pikemen, arquebuses at the corners.

Pillars of Eternity Tactics when?

Have 6 rangers with arquebuses and mod their companions to be pikemen instead of animals.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ZenVulgarity posted:

Does this game have multiplayer deathmatch

No, just regular cooperative PvP.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ovenboy posted:

What do you scholars think of this build, would I be shooting myself in the foot, mechanically?

A Coastal Amauau Monk, a drifter hailing from the Ixamitl Plains, favouring weapons from the adventurer set and heavier armor
Might: 16
Constitution: 8
Dexterity: 8
Perception: 18
Intellect: 10
Resolve: 18

I haven't played the beta, so I don't quite know how things actually work. The low con i figure would be kinda offset by the high innate hp of monks, and the low dex alright since I'll be favouring slow two-handers anyway. I might end up shuffling some of those attribute points around, though I like the idea of a good-natured stronk oaf who might not be too clever, but tends to see things as they actually are. I figure I go with that smiling sharktooth blueface portrait.

You can dump Intellect and raise Constitution instead. Monk doesn't need Int like Cipher or Wizard do.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

8.6 :smuggo:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Congrats to Obsidian for a good game well received, just don't spend too much of that mountain of cash on cocaine.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

srb posted:

There's at least one expansion coming out, maybe two (probably two, if the sales are high).

I think it was yesterday PoE came to first place.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Also GODDAMMIT ROPEKID

"There's a unique gun on the first map" they said

(spoiler warning since the tags don't work with tiny img)

He he he..

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

WarLocke posted:

Anybody want to give me suggestions for dummy's first Barbarian stat points? Might and Con to hit hard and... ?

Intelligence to hit wide.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Eonwe posted:

does the paladin have much affected by Int?

AoE for his auras mostly.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

LibbyM posted:

How do I actually use the custom formations that I can set up with the F button? Nothing seems to happen when I move people around in that.

You also need to choose that formation. Click on the formation button (beneath attack button on the lower center panel) and choose the one you just set, either 1 or 2.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

LibbyM posted:

Does the Cipher Talent Biting whip have an incorrect tooltip on the level up screen? It says it will increase the soul whip damage bonus to x1.2, but that's it's default bonus damage before any talent isn't it?

Tooltip is correct. Soul whip has default 20% increased damage, and biting whip increases it by 20% more.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Perception should really give you one accuracy per point instead of deflection.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I just got wiped by a bunch of shrooms. The fat ones confused my frontline so that the little ones could pounce on my casters.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

To those of you who think that Aloth sucks:

Also works on shades, they tend to not teleport to your backline if they don't see you or you don't attack them, until it's too late.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MartianAgitator posted:

Are those wichts? Wichts are paper. Congratulations on your baby-killing, I guess.

Thanks!

But the point was that the same tactic is applicable to shades, shadows and phantoms, even in tight spaces like the temple. They are vulnerable to fire, and you can murder them before they port to Aloth. And even if they do, they are probably gonna be in the line of fire.

I already cleaned the temple, so I couldn't take a pic there anymore, so I showed one with Wichts.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Ravenfood posted:

Aw man, if I'd rushed for eder he wouldn't have come with ruffian focus? drat. Oh well.

Companions should be lvl 1 when you meet them but with proper amount of exp, so you can level them as you like.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I can't seem to replicate that double-click bug, I'm feeling left out this is not true Obsidian experience I want my money back :mad:

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Viral Warfare posted:

Master Sensuki says to wear cloth and so I wear cloth.

Cloth is good if you can keep cloth wearers out of harms way. That's almost impossible with shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Agreed. This is how I would do attributes per points:

Might: +5% damage and healing, +2 fortitude
Constitution: +5% endurance/health, +1 endurance per level (+4/5/6 health per level depending on class), +2 fortitude
Dexterity: +5% action speed, +2 reflex
Perception: +5 interrupt, +1 accuracy, +2 reflex
Intelligence: +5% area of effect, +5% duration, +2 will
Resolve: +5 concentration, +1 deflection, +2 will

I bumped all stats to +5 so that they are comparable to slightly nerfed intelligence, but you can just as well leave it at three and greatly nerf intelligence. It doesn't really matter.

• Locked thread