Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

It's a small thing but I really dig that this map makes sense geographically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

mitochondritom posted:

Can you elaborate for us non geologist types?

My entire knowledge comes from being in detention and 20 minutes of a geography teacher telling me why Middle-earth was bullshit but just stuff like forests growing where moisture from the sea is blocked by mountain ranges, political borders shaped by physical impasses, settlements along rivers, rivers feeding from high altitude areas instead of just appearing at random lakes or meandering off the map, simple stuff that shows at least a bit of thought has been put into it.

I don't know jack poo poo about the lore, but the ruined civilisation being in very verdant land but then being supplanted by regions with better trade capabilities rings true too. Like I said, a small thing but I like it.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Furism posted:

Then somebody must explain London, Paris, Lyon and Kiev to me, just to name a few. Also Tolkien was a linguist, not a geograph, so we probably probably give him some slack on that area.

Who the gently caress is Tolkien?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
If I was hypothetically to make a team of 6 godlike, dedicated to protecting a world that hates and fears them, what would the builds be?

Cyclops and Jean Grey would be fire godlike, him with leadership bonuses/blasting attacks and her with crowd control/direct damage.

Beast and Angel would be nature godlike, tanking and ferocious melee attacks for Beast and high mobility melee for Angel.

Iceman and Storm I've got no idea about though.

At some point I want to get 1602 up in this game.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Is there an option to turn off the hideous circles underneath everyone?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

GreyPowerVan posted:

im so loving excited

In the year of our Lord 2015 there is coming an epic RPG that may, whisper it, be better than Baldur's Gate 2. Hype.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
New Videogamer podcast has some hands on chat about "Pillars of Shiternity" http://www.videogamer.com/features/promo/videogamer_uk_podcast_episode_104.html

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Downloading gently caress out this can't wait.

Gonna play Easy but with Ironman because the CRPG/Roguelike distinction confuses me.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Average Bear posted:

gently caress its so hard to make a good character. The first three skills are needed to make a good character for combat, but the last three are needed for an interesting character for dialogue. gently caress!!!

I just clicked some numbers making my shark man, he hits things pretty good and I'm enjoying the game.

Sometimes I feel blessed that I'm a simple man that doesn't fret over this mechanics stuff. A simple shark man.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Not too far through, really enjoying it, just random impressions but I really like this dude Kana.

When he got introduced, with the booming voice and jovial attitude and simple what-I'm-about-to-do-anyway quest I thought eh, it's Minsc 2.0, boring. Then talking to him he's actually a super intelligent guy, and his aim is really for a progressive socio-political direction for his nation. I've never 180'd in one conversation so much on a character.

Eder though I just can't bring myself to like, he seems to have a bit too much New Vegas in his DNA, I can't quite believe him as part of the world and his faith feels tacked on. It's kind of like how if Bioware want you to like a character they give them loads of Whedonesque quips, if Obsidian want you to like a character they give them a jaded, detached cool-outsider personality. It feels like I can see the strings with Eder I guess.

I like how the repeating souls aspect of the world almost feels like a joke about all the very similar groups of 6 people adventuring to glory in the infinity engine games. That our introduction to a setting with a deep history and lore is through a 'Watcher' that can observe past events clicks well too.

Overall game owns, it's good times with my shark man.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

sassassin posted:

Do you ever feel like you've wasted your time working things like this out for an in-game culture?

Did it make the game better or more enjoyable for players? Or was it just masturbation?

For me it's the Worst Thing in any fantasy game when they drop loads of gibberish words and place names then expect you to remember and give a gently caress about them. If there's specific language styles and distinctions there the whole mess just gets easier to parse. And it is nice to see attention to detail with this stuff. It's like decent props in a movie, they won't save a bad script and they sure as hell aren't why you bought the ticket, but it does add to the whole experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
After trying like four times I'm finally getting into this by playing on Ironman mode. It makes the resting bonuses, spell descriptions, micro-managing tactics etc feel interesting rather than busy work, before I just went for damage and reloaded if it didn't work and got bored.

But as it's Ironman are there any 'traps' I should be aware of? Like unexpected inescapable areas or choices that will kick my rear end?

• Locked thread