Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Furism posted:

Then somebody must explain London, Paris, Lyon and Kiev to me, just to name a few. Also Tolkien was a linguist, not a geograph, so we probably probably give him some slack on that area.

Basically every Old World city is built on a river, lake or spring of some sort. Water is too important; if there wasn't a large body of water nearby it wouldn't be able to grow enough to be a city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Basic Chunnel posted:

Not to belabor the point but

Granted you could make an inquiry as to whether it works the way it says it does for the purposes of bugfixing, but what the talent is supposed to do is crystal clear

No, this is weak writing. The "all crits" part comes after a "some hits" phrase which makes it able to be interpreted as either a counter to that ("some hits against low endurance enemies but all crits to low Endurance enemies") or starting an unrelated clause ("some hits against low endurance enemies and also all crits to all enemies"). That muddies the relationship of the second clause to the first. It would be made clear by changing the second half to "...and all crits against those targets do additional damage.", which is not the way it is implemented in game it seems, or "...and crits to all enemies do additional damage." That would be crystal clear.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

SoggyBobcat posted:

Goldpact Knights - Rational, Stoic/Passionate, Aggressive

Haha, well, my paladin is gonna suck! What are the penalties for breaking the mold? Or are there none, and it's only upside for following the stereotype?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

grrarg posted:

Youtube version of the interview is up for people that have problems watching Twitch. The interviewer is way better than most streamers.

Contains a rad (professional-ish) bitchslap to the interviewer for repeating 4th Edition D&D hate-myths. Props to rope kid!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Roobanguy posted:

rather have that than "YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT ITS LIKE NOT BEING ABLE TO FLY!" and "I know it's only been a week since my husband died but we should totally bang now. No, no it's cool I had a dream and khalids totally fine with it."

You've clearly not done the Jaheira romance. It takes a decade for each event to fire. There are people who bought BG2 at release and are still waiting for a gormless anime-kiss from Jaheira.

rope kid posted:

Get ready for Pillars of Eternity to flip this paradigm.

Lone Wolf and Cub RPG CONFIRMED

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Godlike cannot reproduce and because of this they often times have trouble with the concept of marriage because, well, most societies view marriage as a construct designed to facilitate and safeguard reproduction and little else. The Vailan Republics legally consider Godlikes sexless regardless of what they look like and this means that legal constructs that specifically name a gender can cause problems for them.

Paraphrased from the wiki.

So isn't one of your companions a Vailian godlike? That'll be an interesting nut to crack. I'm sure rope kid treated the situation gently and without too much fanfare or spotlight, but drat, dude. Good luck with the morality police.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Mystics (the original monks) were nuts in OD&D.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Offkorn posted:

Every D&D game did shapeshifting that way (i.e. overwrite the PC template with a creature template), and shapeshifting is pretty awful in every D&D game for exactly that reason.

Cernd was garbage, sure. But shapeshifting was one of the ways spellcasters obviated melee characters; just turn into a bear or a buffalo or something and your raw stats are higher than any fighter of your level could hope for. Turn into a panther and sneak better than the thief. Better hit points, stronger attacks. I mean, as a caster you have much better ways to negate noncasters contributions - this is for if you wanted to play the same game as them just better.

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 24, 2015

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Lack of Gravitas posted:

What are the best weapons to buy with microtransactions in the in-game store?

Oh man, think of the hats.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Genre: Western-Style

Where's my cowboy hat and beat-up stogie?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

ZZZorcerer posted:

I think some posts here in the forums, and yeah, something about warriors getting mostly bonus damages and using the health resource to attack or use special abilities (?) don't remember it very well

From what I read about the lore and those spoilers up here it does seems interesting though

A maximum level warrior skill is called "Leap Attack". Using it drains your health to do some more damage. A 2nd level wizard skill is called "Hold Person". It immobilizes someone for a long, long time. They can cast it infinity times a day for no cost.

There's a lot of problems with it. It pretends to be rules-light and fluffy but it's actually really heavy on the importance of rules and has no good space for player imagination. It doesn't deliver on the rules. It's setting is cool, though. I've never seen Nausicaa the RPG before.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Well, this is clearly the best game ever made where your character starts out with diarrhea. I am an engagement hater now, though. Maybe it's one of those things where if it's working right it's invisible and I only see it when I'm suffering from it. But that opacity is kinda thematic - the tiredness mechanic kinda pops out of nowhere, Kana took the poo poo healing feat because I leveled up too much before I got him, what the gently caress is a Vessel...That said, I'm still enjoying a lot, especially the intense Ammon Jerro vibe I'm getting from Durance. And I'm hoping Eder's milquetoasty-ness gives way to an amazing ending, like Atton Rand.

And Hylea! That's a reference to a Neal Stephenson novel called Anathem. Which is kinda a sci-fi novel but mostly a retelling of a fictional history of philosophy. It's incredible. So I guess I like that someone at Obsidian reads the slow-paced, nerdy-as-gently caress books I do.

Fake edit: How could I forget about Don't poo poo Your Pants! PoE is the second best game ever where your character starts out with diarrhea.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Please add this to OP:

:siren: DON'T GO TO THE TEMPLE WITHOUT THREE OR FOUR COMPANIONS :siren:

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
So, given that what Perception does is written in stone now, what can we petition rope kid to rename it so that people who want to play ranged characters don't assume it's good for them? Reflexes? Coordination?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

rope kid posted:

I don't have any problem adjusting Attribute bonuses post-launch after more pressing bugs have been dealt with.

Wow, really? I feel like that conversation is like a year old. What are the chances they all get renamed to personality traits rather than physical attributes, like the Cadwallon RPG?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Hey, I know I just gotta play my special snowflake Paladin who doesn't play by his order's rules and that means I gotta pay the RP feat tax so that my conflicting dispositions don't hinder my abilities. I'm cool with that. But having that feat add just a little bonus - like +10hp or +1 to defenses or something - would give a soothing layer of frosting to that scit pie.

Also, I really like that subculture mechanic and it would be cool if it was optional for everybody. Like, how Eder is Dyrwoodan culture>Eothasian layman subculture. hth

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't think any of the Kickstarter Backer NPCs are good. They range from dull to really cringe-worthy.

I pretend they're like the really drab ghosts that Haley Joel Osmont never talks to in 6th Sense. They're not really part of the world; only I can see Strom Brightblade and Oleg Butthammer.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So both Waidwen and Eothes died from the godhammer?

Yeah. Eothas was within Waidwen. The premise of the game, or at least as far as I have gotten is the god of rebirth is dead, so nothing can be made anew. All trials cause sterility. Look for that in the land, the quests and your buddies' backstories.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Robo Reagan posted:

So if you decide you don't want to bother loving around with plants in the tutorial you can start killing the people in the caravan and your objective will change to something that roughly says "killing these guys will help your mood a lot more than some tea." :allears:

I love this game and I love goons!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Average Bear posted:

gently caress its so hard to make a good character. The first three skills are needed to make a good character for combat, but the last three are needed for an interesting character for dialogue. gently caress!!!

Paladins, Barbarians and Clerics can all use Int, Per and Res. (Melee Cleric, that is.) The tanking stats are Res and Per, not Con. Dex might be great for lightly armored guys, but doesn't seem to counteract high armor penalties well, imo.

The most common dialogue choice gates go like this: Resolve>Intelligence>>Perception>>>>Might. Might is only used for Aggressive disposition options, it seems.

So, yes, tanks are the dialogue monsters of this game. Paladins and melee Clerics seem best suited for this. They both have special orders you belong to as well, which are also dialogue gates that may or may not be more common than other classes, but they are way more flavorful.

(Be a Cleric of Eothas.)

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Cool detail about Ondra's Gift: It was flooded. Look at the docks; they are built on top of flooded houses. I did this in one of my D&D games AND I read Anathem. Obsidian pls hire me

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Axetrain posted:

Right now my Party is Eder/Pallagina/Durance/Aloth/Grieving Mother/And Me (Cipher) I would really like to take Kana for both his Reload Chant and his cool personality but I don't know who I would drop. The seemingly obvious choice is grieving mother but having 2 shotgun ciphers really lets you gently caress poo poo up :(

Edit: I'd dump Aloth but fire ball is a really good opener, Pallagina also only seems decent but shes the only other (quasi)-tank I have to help out Eder on the frontlines.

I'm trying to turn Durance into a tank right now. His stats seem really good for it, except (sigh) deflection, the most important one. Priests are broken good and I think Durance is the craziest/weirdest/coolest party member, so I wanna see how far I can push the envelope with him.

Maybe all he needs is a big-rear end magical shield...

Edit: Hahaha, I just figured out who the big bad guy is. A morally gray crone. Like Ravel, like Kreia. At least the big bad gal of Dungeon Siege 3 was a young woman. Right? I remember her being more Joan of Arc-y.

MartianAgitator fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 28, 2015

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

VDay posted:

Aloth is great, I'm surprised to hear so many people that are eager to replace him. He's consistently been my second-leading damage dealer behind whatever class I'm playing. He has decent stats compared to some other companions, can contribute every fight with the 2/encounter AoE ability he comes with, and gets some great spells.

Hell he's probably worth it for Slicken alone, that spell is hilariously good and makes defending doorways/chokepoints with a paladin/fighter even easier.

Blaster wizards aren't sexy at all in this game. Confined spaces, a shitton of combatants on the field and mediocre pathfinding/character volume weirdness means that it's really, really hard to get off more than maybe one cool AOE spell. And plenty of times there'll be an enemy roaming around trying and failing to get to his target (because of pathfinding/volume weirdness) while Aloth is positioning himself, they accidentally rub up on each other and boom, Aloth is engaged, your cool strategy failed.

It's not fun. An easy/normal mode option to turn of friendly-fire or a feat that lessened it to one-quarter damage or something would go a long way, I think. For me, he's mostly a blind spell and some magic missiles. I really feel like I'm not getting the most out of him and what could be cool/flashy spells.

How are you microing him to make him deal so much damage? That 2/encounter ability is okay but it's range is so short it always feels like a huge risk for a little gain.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Disco Infiva posted:

To those of you who think that Aloth sucks:

Also works on shades, they tend to not teleport to your backline if they don't see you or you don't attack them, until it's too late.

Are those wichts? Wichts are paper. Congratulations on your baby-killing, I guess.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

srb posted:

Edit: Also, Aloth with a +2 INT item and the +10% AoE from his armor or another source gives pretty massive yellow circles for Fan of Flames and Fireball and other AoE's, very easy to position him so he can blast an entire fight without friendly fire. The yellow AoE mechanic is one of the better things in the game as far as I am concerned.

While I'm experimenting a bit more with Aloth, I disagree when you say it's very easy to position him. When I get the big spells from him it always feels like I got lucky getting him where he needs to be. The game gives you a lot of fight when you attempt tactical positioning.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Does Hearth Orlan's racial ability (some hits become crits when targeting an enemy also targeted by an ally) count your ranger animal buddy as an ally?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
My dislike for Aloth was for a couple things. I thought his 2/encounter blast was not foe-only, I had a lot of trouble maneuvering him especially with sometimes-clumsy pathfinding and wandering enemies snagging him, and I was never impressed with his damage. Turns out, like an AD&D wizard, all he really needed was levels. Seriously, don't judge him until you get fireballs. (Durance is still better - the +DR spell and the AoE HoT are usually "I win" buttons way more than a fireball for my tank-heavy party.)

But I can totally see why spellcaster party members have gimped Might. Spells are big, splashy effects and letting non-PC party members have awesome effects that also do a ton of damage could take the spotlight away from a PC, especially if you built your dude awkwardly or in the same class. But why Sagani? All she does is damage. Eder came with WF: Ruffian and I figured out that wasn't ideal for him, but, hey, it's a flavorful restriction that has led me to odd choices like dual-wielding a stiletto and sabre in plate armor. I can deal with that; it gives a dude whose character bores me some more flavor. Kana started with Triage, which made me groan, but I can use it and maybe find some respect for a niche skill. (I'd appreciate it soooo much more if it was 3/rest.) Pallegina came with Zealous Focus, which I already picked on my PC, so I made my PC and Eder into Alpha Squad and Pallegina and Durance into Easy Squad and split them up in battles. Not ideal, but a cool tactical use of the tools given to me.

But Sagani came with the "+pet defense vs charms" feat and the "bonus damage to beasts" feat. Argh. She is the boringest DPS and her feats decrease her utility. Hopefully I'm missing something about her and her class. But I feel like there could ways to follow her design goals without hindering her ability to contribute this much. A stat reworking would help her a lot.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Do items lose their abilities sometimes or has this Cloak of an Eothasian Priest just never given me +10 Will?

Edit: I totally wrote "Athasian priest."

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Armor quality is a straight-up improvement to its DR, right? So my Fine Brigandine and Jack of Wide Waters should be giving 14 and 12 DR instead of 12 and 8, respectively. Which, unfortunately, they do not.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Meowbot posted:

I beat palnescape torment and baldurs gate all of them 1 through 2 and maybe not beat them but I played them enough.

I got really far into DIvintiy originals in that game was awesome I got to like level 17 or 81 and it only goes to level 20 bu wii

Tyhe quick look of this game was terrible, Rorie make it sound like the most boring game ever "heh heres the states guys for 20 minutes each of the stats lol do you want to hear about resists??"

I fuckin loved DXivinity and maybe I should try it again? That game by far has the best soudn effects and combat owuld start with a huge loving fireball before aggro and then the archer would basical lyclean up everything with one nasty richochet and whammo gently caress them all

Do you miss out on an ything by playing on easy ?M y brain hasnt worked as much as when I was a child playing planescape torment in the womb but now a days i tried ice wind ddales on my android samsung galaxy pro tab s tablet and uit was nothign but a joke I got raped by the firest goblins and I am sorry to offend you if you think rape is not a proper term for a video game but those goblins held me down with my but in the air it was the firstm obs of the game what the gently caress maybe im not as good as I once was./?

I guess the main question is bad start on easy? Do m iss out on anything important.

Starting out on easy doesn't make you miss anything at all. This game is a lot more complicated than Divinity: Original Sin and it starts off harder than Icewind Dale, so if you think the Quick Look makes it look boring then it will probably bore you. It has a pretty cool story but it's long and unfocused. I think PoE is mostly for people who really like all the little details and don't mind that the combat is hard, the story is slow and sometimes it's really hard to figure out what's going on, both in combat and with the story. It's probably harder to get into than D:OS, but if you're still interested, good luck!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is there a way to keep the character action and pips floating bar from fading away? A lot of my characters are defaulting to idle stance in the middle of fights after casting a spell. They could even be point blank range away from enemy units and won't even autoattack despite autoattacking being enabled in game options.

Having the floating bar stay permanently would at least help me notice the idle characters. For the time being I basically have to notice my characters standing around with their dick in their hands to realize they're idle.

Press tab or mouse over their portraits. Casters have issues with this especially and I don't know if it's because they got engaged and cancelled their spell and then the engaging enemy died or if they were midcast and their target died, but they are the biggest culprits. Also Sagani, but I have no idea what makes her mess up. That's way, way more irritating when it happens to her, though. All she does is auto-attack. Maybe if her target drops and there's no one else in her range? I doubt that, though.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

PirateBob posted:

Some questions:

1. Do different inns increase different attributes when you rest there?

2. Do you ever get to increase/level up attributes?

3. I started a Wood Elf Cipher on Normal difficulty with Might 16, Con 3, Dex 14, Per 13, Int 17, Res 15 - idea being to be able to cover all sorts of dialogue options and not miss out on stuff. Starting to think I made a kinda weak, jack-of-all-trades but somewhat poo poo at everything character. I'm in the first town. Should I reroll?

1. Attribute increases depend on which room you sleep at each inn; each inn has different rooms. They do not stack with each other and I believe they only last 48 hours.

2. Nope. No respeccing either, but that's not really a problem unless you are playing on super-hard.

3. No need to reroll. The early game is very difficult for everyone. You will want to beeline to Caed Nua to get your fourth party member. Because you are a squishy, you'll probably want to make the priest and chanter party members front-liners. Like everything, they'll grow into it, just give them heavy armor and don't be afraid to use those priest spells, especially the +DR and the AoE HoT. They won't tank like Eder but no one ever will.

My favorite bug so far: I've got a PC paladin with the +Accuracy aura and the +crit upgrade for it. Pallegina has the same aura. Turn them both on and each character will have two instances of the aura on them but, of course, one will be surpressed. One of the paladins will sometimes get ten stacks of the surpressed aura, however. And they won't be surpressed.

My main character has 127 Accuracy right now.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Fuuuck, Grieving Mother is Livejournal as gently caress. New drinking game: take a shot every time she misuses an ellipsis, flinches for no reason, or a sentence trails off in a non sequitur. If someone told me some rich backer paid to have a spot on the writing team and Grieving Mother is what came of it I'd believe you 100%. She has a loving quiz in her dialogue - it won't progress unless you guess the right answer and it'll just repeat the same dialogue thread until you do. What the poo poo.

It's a noble goal to try and write a character who expresses themselves to you mostly in dream-images, but this just isn't working. She doesn't have character. She's either pushy (because she has to justify herself, always), flinchy (because :emo:) or you are having a vision and she is not expressing herself. The visions are full of unfocused metaphors, unsure points, clauses that don't follow, logic that doesn't follow, run-on sentences...ugh. And I guess I haven't gotten far enough for any party member to start telling me the REAL reason they are following me, but her motivation is conspicuously absent.

Better game: whenever there's a birthing scene when you're talking to GM, make slurping noises in your head.

God, I hope Eder and Kana have some terrible thing happen to them to make them introspective and force some change on their character. It'll take a lot to a) put Grieving Mother in the world, and b) give her an arc that feels character-motivated and not HERE IS A GREEK TRAGEDY BASED ON THE GAME'S THEME OF REBIRTH AND STERILITY, AS WRITTEN BY DEVIANTART. At least Eder and Kana have those two things going for them, and thus their storylines will have a real weight that I don't see GM's having.

But, hey, I'll give it a chance. But you'll have to blow my loving mind. Because right now Grieving Mother isn't even as cool as Bao-Dur.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Just beat it. Thoughtful game.

I think my favorite part is that everybody will have different stories to tell about how they overcame obstacles and what choices they made (which seems to be a thrust of the game). That makes it feel a lot like old-school tournament-style dungeoncrawling. Basically, this game is to dungeoncrawling D&D what Skyrim is to murderhobo D&D.

(Favorite part was the stealth level in Twin Elms. A silly, neat twist to upend your game without adding new mechanics. Baller)

(Also, because I haven't seen it mentioned yet, please give Itumaak points in Athletics! It's not worth it to rest just for him and giving the poor guy a horrible stacking debuff is like forcing Tyrion Lannister to fight on his knees.) (Let him keep his infinite health.)

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

drgnvale posted:

In Twin Elms I avoided a lot of quests because at 30 hours in I just wanted to get to the ending so I could get back to this thread and discuss the plot, but I did do the three tusk adopted child quest. By murdering the entire command hut. I was very satisfied that that was an option, and it felt like the right one to me.

This actually has the most amazing ending card. During that quest you have the option to take the baby but poison the dude anyway. And you are left with a baby in your inventory. And the ending recognizes you kept the baby. Best cliffhanger ending ever.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

alcaras posted:

Where does this quest even start? I didn't see it on my play through, and I thought I checked everywhere in Twin Elms.

Dude named Simoc, I think the only named dude in the Hall of Warriors.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Whenever he killed a monster my sinister-voiced dude would shout, "Still not dead? Looks like I need something sharper." It took a while to figure out why, but I decided he was looking at the unconscious body and planning on shivving them while they were down until they stop twitching.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Are their tools for players to make their own maps and adventures like NWN?

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

Yes. I don't think they'll leave but I've totally made choices that had multiple companions interrupt and basically go "Are you loving serious? That's disgusting."

At least two companions will leave as a result of dialogue choices, but it's very obvious.

Eder will leave if, at the end of his quest at the Records Hall, you tell him you aren't gonna help him. He leaves the next time you rest, though, not right away, so good luck with that. I don't know if you can find him later. That would be cool but I doubt it's in the game - it's what I would call "low-priority content." GM will leave too if you do a terrible thing to a baby during a quest. She just disappears and you totally forget she ever existed; all that's left of her is a bag of her stuff on the ground (that the dialogue promises is there but isn't actually generated. Goodbye stuff!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

evilmiera posted:

I tried being super-aggresive in my second playthrough and still didn't get that option :( Even did that quest you mentioned. Which is too bad, I would've wanted to know what happened if you went with that option. Anyone know?

It's surprisingly sparse. Do all the ending choices have like one card devoted to them? It just said "A statue of Woedica on Burial Isle has its broken crown magically restored. The people view it as a miracle. You move on."

Has anyone beaten it with a Benevolent Priest of Eothas? I wanna know if you can resurrect/become Eothas.

• Locked thread