Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\/\ I'm rollplaying a mod right now, fixing it. CRITICAL SUCCESS!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

i just want this to come out and not feel like something still in Early Acess

It's feeling pretty solid right now.

Game is going to rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Paper Lion posted:

this game is gonna blow

you away!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ravenfood posted:

One big change is that it removes the [Strength 13] notice from before the dialogue "I'm going to smash your knees" so you dont know if it is a regular speech option or a special one.

I've got mixed feelings on if I want to play with these on or off. On the one hand it feels rewarding to see "[Cool 17] Draw forth Excalibur", and I instantly think: "Hey, hey! That's ME! I have a Cool of 17!'. It lets you SEE that your character building choices are influencing dialog and not everyone gets to automatically draw forth Exaclibur.

On the other hand I also find myself playing by bonus. "Ah, that's an unlock, so it's almost certainly the optimal choice", or "Hmm, I guess I'll say choice 3, because I'm definitely 'Benevolent'".

I'm leaning towards turning those off on my first playthrough and on future ones.

VERY cool that we get a choice! :3:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fungah! posted:

we can still pick and choose which of those options we turn off, right? like, can i have the aoe reticles but ditch conversation trigger visibility or is it all or nothing?

Yeah. I think expert mode disables them all, but otherwise you can pick. Pretty sure I'd never use expert mode. Turning off spell effect radii isn't fun or challenging it's just frustrating and annoying.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

homeless poster posted:

Unless you're going for Tripple Crown Solo and you don't need to worry about friendly fire :getin:

Without the explicit caster supremacy of the AD&D ruleset, I'm having a hard time even speculating which class might be the most viable for that particular achievement. Maybe chanter, since they can wear heavy armor without it really affecting their class abilities? Plus they can spam mobs to try and create temporary targets for the monster swarms.

Dunno, but I imagine it will involve maxing stealth to avoid lots of nasty combats. Probably a specific set of stats too, that let you talk your way out of some particular hard but otherwise unavoidable encounters.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not that removing the indicators always helps. I could always tell what the unlock was in Fallout 2, because it would be the three-paragraph essay on the rights on man while everything else was some variation on "lol".

[Requires: Metagaming 6]

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Deakul posted:

I've always wondered how the hell models do that in games, is there a technical reason for it?

Someone forgot to tighten up the graphics on level 3. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Jackard posted:

Does this game still have a Big Head mode?

Anyone who does a Triple Crown Solo run on youtube and doesn't have Big Head mode on is a bastard.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Selane posted:

I think it's a joke, as I recall when it was first posted during the kickstarter a bunch of spergs got into a slapfight because of a river delta being designed 'unrealistically' or something.

I thought it was that the original map showed rivers splitting as they moved towards the sea, and someone here pointed out that they tend to combine as they move towards the sea. Then I think ropekid was like 'PM me', and presumably there was some river chat, and then he posted the fixed map with hydrologically appropriate rivers.

EDIT: Because if I've learned anything about ropekid it's that he cares about details. :3:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Renames all his chants to really boring practical things like "Summon Skeleton x3"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Since this is now the D:OS thread, I also bailed on it after the first map/area. Combat was fun (although it started to feel a little samey after a while) but the story was the reverse of compelling and I just... lost interest. Will still probably give it another go at some point.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Scorchy posted:

I wonder if Paradox would be willing to just directly fund the development of a new Obsidian game on the PoE engine and forgo kickstarter. It'd be fairly cheap since the workflow and the ruleset stuff is already there, Paradox would probably get ownership if it was a new setting/IP, and these low budget hardcore niche games fit right in with their portfolio.

Why would Obsidian want to do that though, instead of kickstarting it again/funding with PoE profit, owning it themselves, and just having Paradox do some physical reward fulfillment like they're doing? What's in it for Obsidian?

(Nothing. Nothing is)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Scorchy posted:

I meant another IP on the same engine, not PoE 2. What's in it for Obsidian is they get to keep their employees employed. 4 million is a lot on Kickstarter but not a lot in the real world, and they'd run into KS exhaustion if they keep going back to the well too often. The PoE team was what, 15-25 people? And not all of them full time on the project. Obsidian has like ~140 on staff.

I dunno. Everyone said Fargo and InXile would hit kickstarter fatigue, and they got 1,000,000 more for Torment then they did for Wasteland without Wasteland even being released. If PoE is successful I can easily see them kickstarting not just PoE II, but FYSMD:JSPDRPG to boot. V:shobon:V

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
In the latest patch you can no longer rebind item highlight as right mouse button. This makes me very sad. :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

DatonKallandor posted:

PoE is specifically designed to get rid of the DnD complete whiffs armor systems,

Counterpoint: Paladin Tank

(I can turn on my mirror image cloak for a bonus 20+ deflection. It says 20 but seems more like 30 or 35 in practice? Takes me up to ~137)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

The Lone Badger posted:

What tools does a tank have for managing aggro / making fools attack them?

I tend to charge him in solo ahead of time with the fighter. I probably should take Hold the Line to lock an extra baddie in engagement. Also try to use chokepoints. Then BB Priest shoots with the quest-reward gun, BB mage fires spells, and custom chanter uses spears from behind. I'm pretty sure I'm not using BB rogue ideally. I tend to have him shoot from the back a lot too.

Probably far, far, far from optimal, but I seem to be doing okay. :shobon:

Also, the 2nd level priest spell consecrated ground is crazy good. +12 endurance a second for nearly 30 seconds in a fairly big circle. BB priest can just plant behind the front guys, shoot her gun and keep everyone topped off. I had one battle in the temple where my custom chanter ended up going from max health/endurance to nearly 0 health because consecrated ground was keeping her healed up when she was in an exposed spot getting whaled on.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
This is why I'm being a Kind Wayfarer.

We're fanatically nice. :3:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Whoa this is a huge change from the backer beta are you sure it's the case?

It doesn't make any sense as others have said because you wouldn't be able to purchase very high up unless they've drastically changed how skill buy works.

If it is the case, they better have a giant flashing "your unspent points will be lost" dialogue box.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The game is still 25gb right?

Thank god I can quickly preload it in student accomodation before returning home in the bumfuck of nowhere.

Oh, are we actually getting preload? Cool. :)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Can I play as an anime?

Custom portrait support, so... yes.

(You monster)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I believe Obsidian has explicitly said they intend to do an old school style expansion like the old Infinity engine games had.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Basic Chunnel posted:

One non-spoiler feature highlighted in the streams is that backer NPCs (the ones with gold nameplates) are essentially sensory stones from PS:T, you "talk" to them and access snippets of ancestral memory / lore. Which is good because it was weird in the beta that there were all these named NPCs who could not be interacted with in any way

I wondered what the hell those guys were.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Cthulhuite posted:

Steam pre-orders are getting priority over backers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGPtw-MwscQ

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

zedprime posted:

You could take a page from Durance and use a synonym for your highest attribute assignment.

I guess this is a thing in PoE. Like Palegina the Paladin.

Fightos the Fighter.

Barbara the Barbarian.

Wiztan the Wizard.

Etc

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

SpunkyRedKnight posted:

Him name is Hopcyn Grwn-Ffriog

Awwww, now I wish I'd donated at the $1,000 tier. :xd:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

ropekid, your game is broken

:saddowns:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CottonWolf posted:

Monks can get the ability to set their fists on fire, if that helps.

I serve the flamin' fist!

/southern accent

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Have to come up for air and have some dinner. I've been playing on hard.

Here's my mini review:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

bonds0097 posted:

Anyone else doing their first run through in Expert Mode?

If I'm someone who pores through the manual obsessively and reads every word the game throws my way, will I be all right or am I going to be hosed by not having any prior knowledge of the game systems and not having whatever tooltips and such Expert Mode disables?

I think one of the things expert mode disables is spell radii. Which sounds laughably unfun to me! You can custom disable anything you don't like manually even without 'expert mode' on.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
What determines success with 'scouting' out hidden objects/doors/chests? Perception? Mechanics? Or do you just need 'sneak/scout' mode on and you detect them automagically?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
So, I found a special shield it's a door, lol :xd: and it says 'Bash 2: Grants Bash'. What is 'Bash'? It looks like maybe I get a second attack with it? So I'm two weapon fighting with a sword and shield? I wonder if it benefits from the two weapon fighting perk? Then you could get a bonus from both sword and shield AND two weapon fighting.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

CrusherEAGLE posted:

So how hard is "hard"?

My cousin was playing earlier and was getting really frustrated at the fact that he kept wiping.

So I'm kind of scared now that when I get a little further I'm going to get my rear end whooped.

You'll definitely wipe now and then or at least quickload back and retackle a fight with a bit more forethought and planning. You'll also probably pull off some miracle wins against the odds with three out of five guys down and the other two with a tiny red sub ~10% health level. I've had a couple of those poking around the Endless Paths. Hello 8,000,000 off-brand kobolds backed by drake artillery.

I've only played 8 hours and am just about to hit level 5, so the level advancement rate must slow way, way, way down if the crit path puts you at 8 and 12 is the level cap.

Music is amazing, game is great.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Heading over to Dyrford crossing to see how its changed since the beta and hoping for some easy XP.

My only real complaint about the game is the search system. Having to explore in stealth at double speed or miss out on lots of cool crap is a little weird.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

the detection radius on selecting a char is too small and the cursor doesnt match the graphic. sometimes it looks like you're clicking on a dude when you aren't.

I'm confused. You don't have to click ON the circle. You can click IN the circle to select someone. Which is big enough that it's hard to miss. :confused:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Hey, look! A fire godlike! Godlike are pretty rare, I bet he's an interesting.... oh. It's a backer NPC.

There's another fire godlike. Yup. Backer NPC.

Here's another... mmmmm.... I'm starting to sense a pattern here. :geno:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tildryn posted:

Kind of depends on your Order. The Shieldbearers get the ability to add a buff onto their Flames of Devotion that causes a 20s +10 Deflection to all nearby allies, so you can space out the Flames of Devotion for defense bonuses.

Yup. I'm a kind wayfarer, and my flames of devotion do extra damage AND provide healing to all my buddies nearby, which is nice to be able to time twice an encounter as needed.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

What exactly is the difference between a lamp and a figurine of a lamp. :raise:

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is Kana male or female?

Male. You can pop off his armor and check. No bra. :v:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So both Waidwen and Eothes died from the godhammer?

Lots of people in game seem to believe so.

The truth, if we ever find out, is probably plot related and ~spoilers~. :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

french lies posted:

It seems like it is mining the Baldur's Gate soundtracks quite heavily. You notice it especially well in the combat themes.

There are also some strong Lord of the Rings vibes here and there. One exploration track in particular has a major LotR note to it and the Stronghold(?) theme (it plays there a lot) reminds me of the Hobbiton music from Fellowship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'm encountering a bug where the plague of insects from Ogre Druids doesn't clear after combat, has no end timer, and will just eat away at your health until you all die. I can clear it by saving and reloading, but it's a little aggravating. Anyone else getting this?

For location, I'm on level 3 of the Endless Paths, so there are a bunch of Ogre Druids around here.

Game is still awesome.

EDIT: There's also a phantom enemy. Red circle on the ground. No tooltip, doesn't see or detect me, can't attack it. West side of the map, in a room with a campfire in the middle, phantom enemy spawned on a patch of grass.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 28, 2015

• Locked thread