Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*

CompeAnansi posted:

On the topic of "how am I ever going to go back and replay Baulder's Gate after the QoL improvements in PoE", I never really got into D&D, so the mechanics are incredibly opaque to me. One of the great advances in Pillars of Eternity for me is the use of a modern stat/damage/armor system. Does anyone know of a mod for the Baulder's Gate games that converts stuff like 2d6 + 1 into actual damage ranges and converts THAC0 into an equivalent non-insane armor number? Basically I want all the D&D mechanics hidden behind a more understandable set of numbers that are displayed on the character page. I looked for such a mod, but didn't find anything. Anyone got any suggestions other than "suck it up"?

Not sure if this is what you're after, but the Enhanced Editions of Icewind Dale and both Baldur's Gates display exactly what you need to hit and how much damage a successful hit will cause after all modifications from weapon proficiencies, weapon selection and any buffs are applied. It'll also list everything that affects these values next to the final tally, so you can try swapping out different weapons or judging the effects of stacking various enhancements such as potions and applying scrolls.This is probably best illustrated rather than described:

In the above image, the number in the square tells you that the character will need to score 8 or more from a randomised number up to 20 each time they attack with this weapon. So it follows that the lower the number here the better, as it'll be further modified depending on the toughness of the creature being attacked.
The number in the circle is the possible range of values for damage that each successful hit will inflict. Big, big numbers are good here.

The text to the right of each value is how that number is derived. In this case, the character is pretty good with the weapon they're using, dropping the original score needed to hit, 14, by 3, and the weapon they're using is also powerful, dropping the number by 3 again.
This is displayed both on the character's record and in the inventory, so you immediately see the effect of swapping different weapons around as you do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*
I'm really enjoying playing your splendid game, rope kid. Also watching your streaming of Darklands.

If Edér's armed with a Fine Flail, does the +20% of Grazes converted to Hits from his Confident Aim ability stack with the +30% from this weapon and the +15% from Pallegina's Zealous Focus aura, or does only the single bonus of greatest magnitude apply? Or is there some other permutation that occurs?

Also, how do I initiate the White March? The expansion's recognised within the start screen as active, with its own icon, and according to my save game I'm in chapter 2, and have definitely explored Defiance Bay enough to have picked up Pallegina and chat with the ghost in the topside ruin of the Temple of Woedica, but haven't headed into the Catacombs yet. The steward of Caed Nua doesn't appear to have any new dialogue for me.

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*
I've just started the White March area, in Stalwart Village, and the party's killed Darzir, the Ogre chief and nabbed the ring with two charges of domination from his corpse. However, the journal entry to kill him in order to force the other Ogres to retreat hasn't updated.
Whenever I exit and re-enter the area, on the loading screen an audio file plays "Darzir's fallen. Back to the Matron, now!" but all the other Ogres are still chilling in various spots around the village still. It took me a couple of retreats from the map in order to clear to Darzir, during which that audio file played despite my not having located him yet.

I'm about halfway through clearing the remaining Ogres and Winter Wolves out, but strongly suspect it'll have no effect as regards to progressing the storyline if the "Darzir's dead" flag hasn't registered. The last hard save is nine hours game time prior, with the previous autosaves being all occupied with travel to and from Stalwart Village.

Halp.

• Locked thread