Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
What's the best way to build a Duelist/Swashbuckler? I love Rogues, but I love being a more Duelist-y kind of Rogue, and less Assassin-y. Running into combat, evading/parrying blows and whirlwind attacks is best, not cowardly backstabs from the shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Damnit. Good answers to my Duelist question.

The only problem now is that I'll probably have to make a few characters to start, before I find one that fits what I have in mind.

I prided myself on thinking, "Heh, look at all these fools, being stuck because of all the cool characters they can possibly make! I shall just make the one true character, which is duelist, and be correct in all things :smug:" but now I have the same problem as you guys.

why you gotta go and make a cool game ropekid

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Zore posted:

I love Bards and playing a Bard who is a skald sounds awesome.

Goddamnit, that does sound good.

Has anyone tried a melee Chanter? Spellsword-style character? I think in the last thread people were talking about Bard tanks being sweet, but what about one that's a little more proactive?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

rope kid, when do you foresee the first post-release patch coming? Not sure why I'm asking, just curious I guess.

i just really love patches

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

ugh I'm not the type of person that gets hyped for games, but I backed this poo poo two years ago. I've been keeping up with it since then, and now for the past few days I've been f5ing this thread just to get updates about the keys.

what the hell am I doing with my life

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Spikeguy posted:

Is there a supply of custom portraits already ready for the game? Or does anyone have any good supplies? I'd like to pick some out before the game comes out.

Actually, partner question to this, what sizes are the portraits, ie, can I just be a huge nerd and import all my old BG2 portraits straight into PoE

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Hey now, the Death Godlike one is pretty sweet.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So what exactly was the Godhammer? Durance likes to speak in metaphors and Eder likes to be cheeky and downplay the act, but what I got from the lore is that they lured Weidwen into a trap and burned/blew him up at the stake.

Is my reading correct?

Loving this game, but I really really want Eder and Durance to talk to each other.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Am I the only one who's playing through completely content with no major bugs experienced yet?

Seriously, the only thing that I've noticed so far is a phantom weapon slot sometimes.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Always-Be-Stealthing master race reporting in, you guys who don't are all playing the game wrong, empirically speaking.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Vermain posted:

My completionist run was 32 hours on Hard. It's not a long game if you have an optimized party.

So as a counter example, I'm taking my time (Still in act 2 since release. I have a job/life, etc). I read all the dialogue and lore and stuff, try to do all the side quests, and restart occasionally when I gently caress up an encounter. I'm already at 20 hours and I haven't even made it to Defiance Bay yet.

Also, I really feel like the backer NPC hate is almost exclusively because people know they're backer NPCs. I bet if they weren't gold-named, people wouldn't mind them. Sure, the general theme of their stories are GRIMDARK FANTASY SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE vignettes, but some of them (gardener!) are interesting enough. That, and I really like how being able to view soul-stories directly ties in with your character's power/storyline.

I actually wish they did the SOUL VISION™ with important NPCs.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

So I'm tinkering with an all-chanter gimmick party, and I noticed they have a DoT chant. I know that buff/debuff chants don't stack, but does the damage one? Rollin around with 6 chanters doing ae dot damage is pretty hilarious to me.

Also if anyone has chanter tips I am down to hear them.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I think a lot of people are forgetting just how barebones the Strongholds were in BG2. There were initial quests receiving them (that were, themselves, sidequests relating to getting the 20k), a few other scripted events and then, what, getting some rent money every month?

The stronghold isn't the best thing in PoE, sure, but it's not like it's completely terrible. It could use work, but PoE has come very far in the few months it's been out, so I'm sure it'll get addressed.

Hell, even if it doesn't, it's because they're working on more compelling content anyway.

Besides, what else would you have used that ~30k copper for? There's only so many uniques in the game to buy, and you aren't using all of them. It's not like fully furnishing the Stronghold has a negative impact on your game.

And, obviously, you don't need to do it.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

That's exactly what I'm talking about. If you guys are really that hard done by for some "quests" that are resolved by literally three or four dialogue options then I really don't think there's any pleasing you.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I could absolutely get behind an improvement of the current stronghold, for sure.

I hope that Obsidian makes this their cash cow for a while. At this point, I'd buy any expansions and keep playing through new patches whenever available. Hell, if they made the Stronghold expansion a ~$5 DLC or something, I'd be down in a heartbeat.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Be a Bleak Walker shotgun Paladin, take the gun talents (especially penetrating shot), and one shot most things with your supercharged Flames of Devotion and cackle all the way. Take the +hit aura and talent it for +5% more crit too.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I'm having a lot of success and damage with the sabre and stiletto that both have lifedrain, on my offtank-retaliation Rogue.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Just made a Nature Godlike melee Cipher. Anyone got any stand out spells for them that are must-have? I didn't use Grieving Mother my first run, so I'm doing a dual Cipher party and want some insight in what to skip/what to grab.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I always run around in Stealth mode fast-forwarded and rarely if ever have problems with traps.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

I feel like ropekid gets his work trashed in this thread a lot, so on behalf of the people who really enjoy the game and the attention to solid design that makes it great, thanks for making a fun RPG! I look forward to playing more Josh "Unfun" Sawyer games in the future!

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

For sure. I don't mean to underplay cogent points and good criticism, but it's disheartening to read through a thread for Game Protips and see people complaining about resting or whatever.

I need to remember myself that the very fact this thread remains alive and active is proof that people still care, which is great.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Scorchy posted:

I thought high-level Barbarians were already world-destroyers before but uh, okay!

Those Riposte and One-handed Style changes are huge too.

Finally, a viable Swashbuckler build emerges.

I might have to roll a new character just for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Roughly put, anyhow. Aloth barely has a companion quest at all, for one thing. Also there were multiple writers handling the companions, if I'm not mistaken.

One of the few things that bugged me about the story. I really didn't feel like Aloth's story was settled in a satisfying way at all, compared to Eder for instance, whose is perfect.

• Locked thread