Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wow the show isn't changing the game after three episodes? What a slow burner! This show is much better written than either Flash or Arrow though and that much is very clear after only three episodes. No sign of super cringeworthy dialog at all yet and even the best episodes of Flash and Arrow are rife with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Sooo....did CW or Hulu skip an episode? Because in the "previously on" segment, it's got scenes of Liv doing kung fu and Major at a skate park, stuff that definitely didn't happen in the two episodes I've watched of the show....

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Sooo....did CW or Hulu skip an episode? Because in the "previously on" segment, it's got scenes of Liv doing kung fu and Major at a skate park, stuff that definitely didn't happen in the two episodes I've watched of the show....

Yeah, I just watched the first five minutes or so that are up on Hulu and nothing made any sense. I think they must have put up the wrong episode somehow.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Artic Puma posted:

Yeah, I just watched the first five minutes or so that are up on Hulu and nothing made any sense. I think they must have put up the wrong episode somehow.

So it sounds like if anybody wants to check out next week's episode before they take it down your window of opportunity has already started

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I can see why some people are finding the procedural stuff iffy, but the emotional material landed for me tonight in big ways. Its weird for everyone to always rave about every CW show as some propulsive crazy engine poo poo. I dig The Flash, but it took them half a season to really start breaking the monster-of-the-week formula up in interesting ways. Arrow took around the same time to really start cooking with gas, too.

I'd be concerned if we were still dealing with basic crimes and "Liv has WACKY reaction to brain-eating!" yucks ten or so episodes in - but this early in? There's so many things clicking along that I feel like the show is in a very good place moving forward.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I kind of hope, and expect, this show to stay pretty much procedural. There's nothing wrong at all with procedural if it's done well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

So it sounds like if anybody wants to check out next week's episode before they take it down your window of opportunity has already started

Word of caution, it's actually at least the week after, not next week's. Some of the Previously stuff is actually in the trailer for next week's episode, and there's definitely some missing plot points they're touching on in the first 5 minutes.

Edit: Not planning on watching any more myself, but it was still up as of this edit.

Onean fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 1, 2015

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I kind of hope, and expect, this show to stay pretty much procedural. There's nothing wrong at all with procedural if it's done well.

I think I've read somewhere that it gets more serial later in the season.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Artic Puma posted:

Yeah, I watched the whole episode. I momentarily forgot what network it was and assumed it got FOX'ed and had the season order shuffled; that makes way more sense.

Well, now I am a wizened psychic who knows many things of the future of this procedural about zombies.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Onean posted:

Word of caution, it's actually at least the week after, not next week's. Some of the Previously stuff is actually in the trailer for next week's episode, and there's definitely some missing plot points they're touching on in the first 5 minutes.

Edit: Not planning on watching any more myself, but it was still up as of this edit.

drat, how do they screw something up that bad?

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I liked the pilot a lot but after this week's episode I'm considering dropping the show. The premise of taking on someone else's personality every week seems fundamentally flawed to me--it's preventing me from getting any sort of understanding of the protagonist (wasn't this the problem with Dollhouse?). The narration could help with that but so far it has little of the spunk or stakes of Veronica Mars' voice-over.

And this is minor but I dislike the detective character a lot and find him off-puttingly weird looking. His hairline is so unfortunate.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
You're comparing her to the female Morgan Freeman, that's your mistake.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wax Lion posted:

The premise of taking on someone else's personality every week seems fundamentally flawed to me--it's preventing me from getting any sort of understanding of the protagonist (wasn't this the problem with Dollhouse?).

I guess that might have been one of the problems with Dollhouse, but to know for sure you'd first have to deal with all the other problems with Dollhouse.

REGGAE PARADE
Apr 3, 2015

Wax Lion posted:

The premise of taking on someone else's personality every week seems fundamentally flawed to me--it's preventing me from getting any sort of understanding of the protagonist (wasn't this the problem with Dollhouse?).

The problem with dollhouse was that the main characters were being controlled. Any significant changes to the status quo should have, to maintain internal series logic, been squashed by the figures of authority. Here Liv is in control of her own fate. As far as we know, there are no puppet masters dangling a cure.

I find the fact that someone with an MD didn't even consider that her zombie nemesis, whom she's seen hang out with shady types, might be scaring the kids at the skatepark a little too thick, especially given the Utopium namedrop.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I like the show. I didn't think I would.

Man, the CW has really been stepping it up lately. Arrow and The Flash aren't that amazing, but compared to their previous offerings the difference is staggering.

And this one so far has been pretty good in a quirky girl-detective kinda way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wax Lion posted:

I liked the pilot a lot but after this week's episode I'm considering dropping the show. The premise of taking on someone else's personality every week seems fundamentally flawed to me--it's preventing me from getting any sort of understanding of the protagonist (wasn't this the problem with Dollhouse?). The narration could help with that but so far it has little of the spunk or stakes of Veronica Mars' voice-over.

And this is minor but I dislike the detective character a lot and find him off-puttingly weird looking. His hairline is so unfortunate.

The problem with Dollhouse is that we were expected to empathise with people who literally had no personality of their own and the psychopathic sex traffickers exploiting them. Liv does have her own personality and history, and she also doesn't so much take on someone else's personality as have their personality strongly influence her own. How she deals with those conflicting emotions is part of the story, often the best part.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dollhouse is a misunderstood masterpiece :colbert:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Jedit posted:

The problem with Dollhouse is that we were expected to empathise with people who literally had no personality of their own and the psychopathic sex traffickers exploiting them.

People keep saying this but the only time there was any overt sex weirdness was the one time Dushku had been programmed as a dominatrix or whatever.

Unless I've blocked out any other memories... :tinfoil:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

WarLocke posted:

People keep saying this but the only time there was any overt sex weirdness was the one time Dushku had been programmed as a dominatrix or whatever.

There are multiple episodes that start with Echo returning from a $10,000-a-night "perfect girlfriend" weekend gig, Victor was also used as a male whore when Ms Hitler in Personnel wasn't loving him off the books, and the autistic Mengele who does the programming gets to turn a doll into his girlfriend for a day as a job perk - for his birthday, as I recall. And that's just off the top of my head.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

WarLocke posted:

You've blocked it out. It was in almost every episode at first.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

REGGAE PARADE posted:

I find the fact that someone with an MD didn't even consider that her zombie nemesis, whom she's seen hang out with shady types, might be scaring the kids at the skatepark a little too thick, especially given the Utopium namedrop.

Yeah, I'm surprised she missed that. I could see her being distracted by being sad about the ex-fiance if deadened emotions from the sociopath's brain wasn't a huge part of the episode.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jedit posted:

The problem with Dollhouse is that we were expected to empathise with people who literally had no personality of their own and the psychopathic sex traffickers exploiting them. Liv does have her own personality and history, and she also doesn't so much take on someone else's personality as have their personality strongly influence her own. How she deals with those conflicting emotions is part of the story, often the best part.

Yeah the difference is that in Dollhouse you basically had completely new "guest star" characters who would show up for an episode and then basically die, with like 5% of the actual episode devoted to the "real" characters. That's not what is happening here.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Holy crap the actor who plays the detective was in an LMFAO video (Party Rock Anthem). Please don't ask me how I found that out....

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

There are multiple episodes that start with Echo returning from a $10,000-a-night "perfect girlfriend" weekend gig, Victor was also used as a male whore when Ms Hitler in Personnel wasn't loving him off the books, and the autistic Mengele who does the programming gets to turn a doll into his girlfriend for a day as a job perk - for his birthday, as I recall. And that's just off the top of my head.

You forgot one of the agents was busy raping Sierra (who was also exploited into becoming a doll by a rapist doctor who had an obsession about her) and the neighbor being turned into a spy against Helo (while also banging him).

Basically every doll is subjected to rape in one form or another in the LA dollhouse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Basically every doll is subjected to rape in one form or another in the LA dollhouse.

Also, as I recall, the later episodes fairly heavily implied that they were the best, least corrupt, least immoral part of the entire company.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Wax Lion posted:

Eliza Dushku was the main flaw of Dollhouse. Yes, build your show around the idea of your cast taking on new personalities and identities each week and center it around the flattest, most boring actress in the world.

This show is great, by the way. There's something to be said for a solid procedural.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
She's a sassy shortass brunette who can dance, my ideal woman. But i'm not a 7 foot black dude, so i'm not her ideal man.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

Eliza Dushku was the main flaw of Dollhouse. Yes, build your show around the idea of your cast taking on new personalities and identities each week and center it around the flattest, most boring actress in the world.

No, the main flaw of Dollhouse was the rape. The next biggest flaw was that every character was a psychopath or a moron, and the one after that was the plot holes you could drive a bus through.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Meanwhile, the biggest flaw of iZombie is that they don't talk about Dollhouse enough

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who started this Dollhouse stuff anyway, i still don't follow the link

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Who started this Dollhouse stuff anyway, i still don't follow the link

The link is Liv acquiring different personality traits in each episode. I don't know who started it, but as the thread is all of five pages long and it started around page 3 it wouldn't be too much of a trial for you to look.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jedit posted:

The link is Liv acquiring different personality traits in each episode.

And it's a lovely link because one show is a horror-comic procedural and the other is a somewhat misunderstood but still generally mediocre series with a concept rooted in 60s anti-authoritarian sci-fi. I don't care who started it, I just care that somebody ends it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I regret starting this thread

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Take the Dollhouse discussion to the Whedon thread please.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

As a CW comic book show the appropriate derails are Arrow/Flash, anyway

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Jedit posted:

No, the main flaw of Dollhouse was the rape.

It's an important subjecting and having it in the show doesn't automatically sink it. The show just needed to be a whole lot less Whediocre. Joss' obsession with Dushka only made it come off as glorifying the subject matter.

That said, three episodes in and iZombie is a far superior show. It has touched on similar issues and come off far better.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Stop talking about Dollhouse in this thread.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This show is fantastic, I'm really pleased. The dialogue is so snappy and the drama really lands for me when you can see it would be super easy to mess up. But I genuinely empathise with Liv and the emotional highs and lows she goes through! What a pleasure to discover such a thing.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
I think one of the best parts about this show is that it's a zombie show that I can watch by myself, in the dark (although I got a bit squeamy when they found Liv's friend/rival who invited her to the party).

Do you guys think that David Ander's character was a zombie before the boat party, and Liv throwing her drink in his face caused him to go full zombie mode against his will, or do you think that was his turning point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Holy gently caress, this might be my new favorite CW show.
It's Veronica Mars with more zombies and humor.

I'm hoping the show eventually expands its scope to include the other craziness of the comics.(ghosts, were-people, monsters in general)

Deakul fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 5, 2015

• Locked thread