Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought this would be fun instead of more car derails in the other threads.

1. What is your primary form of transportation - car, motorcycle, bicycle, train, bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, walking (or other)?
2. How many vehicles do you have?
3. For current vehicle owners - did you buy new, buy used, or do you lease?
4. What brand vehicle do you drive?
5. For owners - what was the purchase price of your vehicle, and how long have you owned it?
6. How much do you spend annually on transportation (cab, bus, train-fare/payments/insurance/fuel)?
7. How much do you spend annually on maintenance for your vehicle?
8. How far is your commute to work?
9. If you do not use public transportation - explain why you do not
10. If you use public transportation - explain why you do not use a vehicle
11. What country do you live in?
12. What is your gross annual income?

-------------------------------------

1. What is your primary form of transportation - car, motorcycle, bicycle, train, bus, taxi, Uber, Lyft, walking (or other)?
Car
Lease
Honda Civic
5. For owners - what was the purchase price of your vehicle, and how long have you owned it?
N/A
6. How much do you spend annually on transportation (cab, bus, train-fare/payments/insurance/fuel)?
$2300 on car payments, $950 on insurance, $800 on fuel = $4050
$30 for an oil change
6 miles
I commute through a bad neighborhood and it wouldn't be wise
N/A
USA
$30,000

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Mar 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Car on the weekends, Bus during the week.

Two.

Both were bought new.

2013 Ford Escape, 2014 Subaru Impreza

Escape was $33,000 (2.5 years), Impreza was $20,000 (1 year)

Based on last year: Bus = $960, Car Payments = $8,530, Fuel = $3,270, Insurance = $1,495, Registration = $916, Parking = $103

$507

9 miles

I take the bus

I would shoot myself in traffic and either have to park a mile and a half away or pay $10 per day to park.

USA, Denver Colorado

~$200,000

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Bicycle on weekdays, car on weekends
New
Honda Civic
~19k, since 2007
$800 on insurance, $700 on fuel = $1500. Do about 5k miles of total travel
$30 for an oil change, maybe ~$150 in other maintenance
4 miles
I use a bicycle
N/A
California, USA
>$150,000

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
car

New

Honda Fit

$25k, 2 years

$1200 for insurance and gas

$300

6 mi

Bus route from my house to my office is really inconvenient

NA

USA

~100k

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Car
Bought used
2006 Chevy Corvette, 2007 BMW 525xi, 2008 Triumph Daytona 675SE
BMW - $6k, 6 months
Corvette, $30k, 3 years
Triumph, $5k, 1 year

No car payments, $150 a month in insurance, $150ish a month in gas
Few hundred for routine stuff
15 miles
It would take 4 hours to get to work instead of a 30 minute drive
N/A
USA
A lot

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Mar 19, 2015

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Car, but I'm getting in the swing of using a bike more.

Bought new.

Toyota Camry

$22,500, I believe. I have owned it for 34 months.

$1,100 on insurance, $40 a month on gas, $3600 in payments, plus $100/yr in miscellaneous public transportation = ~$5,300.

Typically around or below $100 for basic upkeep.

2 miles each way. In the process of switching to biking to work, but if I know I'll be working late (happens often), I'll take my car because part of my route is in a bad area.

I used to use public transportation to get to 2 out of the 3 locations where I may work on a given day, since they were very close to the stops. Now I live close enough that the gas expense costs less than a ticket and is a quicker trip to any of them. I bike to the closest one when it's practical to do so, but if I'll be moving between the offices (usually carrying a stack of 24x36 blueprints) it's much less of a headache just to take my car.

I use public transportation when it would be faster, safer, or cheaper than taking my car or bike (if there is an accident or the roads are covered in ice).

USA

~$70,000

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Car! A 2003 Volvo S40
One
My parents bought it for me new when I turned 16 because they rich, yo
2003 Volvo S40, come on pay attention.
$28,000. 12 years.
Probably a total of about $5,700 ($1,200 gas, $900 insurance, $900 repairs/maintenance, $2,700 on parking for work)
$900 about. My car is a lemon and has required roughly this much per year since 2003.
10 miles/20 minutes
I live 1 mile from a light rail station, and the light rail could get me to work in 20 minutes, AND my light rail pass would be free from work. I don't use it because there isn't parking at the station and I would have to walk uphill 1 mile in a city that rains 9 months of the year. The bus would take 50 minutes from my house because the nearest stop is also 1 mile away.
N/A
USA
$80,000

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Car

2, but selling 1 since it's old, breaks down a lot, and we don't need it

Buy New

Honda Fit

$21,000 3 years

$1,800 Fuel, $3,600 car payment, $1,400 insurance, $200 registration

$300ish. Mostly just oil changes at this point

10 miles

Not available or convenient

Murica

>$100,000

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Car to/from work in the 'burbs, but I walk when I'm in the city (where I live)
One
New
2015 Jeep Cherokee baby
$30k; bought in November 2014
$14,400/year on payments (doubling them to pay it off faster), $1200/year into the maintenance fund, $1200/year on gas, $1500/year on insurance (thanks Memphis!)
i set aside $100/month for maintenance, though I haven't needed it for awhile (balance is at $1000)
60 miles round trip
Memphis doesn't have public transportation; even our downtown trolleys got shut down for constantly catching on fire
N/A
USA
$90k

Omne fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 18, 2015

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What thing I think you're missing is the size of household/number of drivers. 1 car for a single person household is very different from 1 car for a family with 2 adults and 2 teenagers, for example.

Biking for getting to/from work. Car for most other things, although I occasionally bike to the park/grocery store/church.

1 car shared between my wife and I (we also have a toddler).

My dad gave me his old car when I was in college, and I am driving it into the ground.

2002 Honda CRV.

Purchase price $1, have owned it for almost 7 years now.

Wow, it's hard to estimate...I'm assuming you're not including airfare for trips? I'd guess between car and bikes like $3,500-4,000?

On average probably like $1,000? Although this year was brutal with some repairs costing like $2,500 in a month.

8 miles.

I do occasionally use Caltrain, but mostly do not because it's only marginally faster than biking in the usual case and I'm not very good at sticking to a schedule. Plus it costs more than just biking and means less exercise. Other forms of public transportation are too slow.

n/a

USA! USA! (SF Bay South)

Depends on stock price of my company, but around the mid 100s.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 18, 2015

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice
Car

Bought used in 2012.

2005 Toyota Prius

Purchased for $9,000 in 2012. Financed for 5 years @ 6.84% with a $2,000 down payment. (This is before I started learning about personal finance...). The car is now paid off and owned outright.

In 2014 I spent about $5800 total. 2015 will be significantly less since I no longer have a car payment, my insurance is way cheaper, and my commute no longer has tolls. (estimate: $2500?)

2014 was pretty typical, and I spent about $850 total.

17 miles each way. Depending on traffic it can take anywhere from 20-60 minutes one way. I work 10-6, so usually I avoid rush hour and can do it in ~35 minutes.

The public transportation where I live is excellent, but I live in a small city on the outskirts of the metro-area (in other words, not near the hub), and I work in a suburb.

I once priced out and explored the possibility of taking public transportation, because it's technically possible to do so. It could save me a few thousand dollars a year, but my schedule would become extremely inflexible, because there's only one combination of connections in the morning and evening that would get me from work to home and back again. So I couldn't stay late at work, ever. Nor would there be any wiggle room in the morning getting in. Also, it would more than double my commute and involve 3 different buses.

The discomfort of the long commute and transfers I'd be able to put up with if it saved me a lot of money, but I don't think it would be wise (for my career) to have rigid requirements for when I have to leave work every single day.

I'd be pretty isolated without a car, living as far as I do from my friends in the area. Taking the train to see them would involve several hours, and the regional train has limited service on weekends. Now it's like 20-30 minutes driving.

Finally, I have a dog, and it's easier and cheaper to travel with him in a car, and it's good to know I can quickly and easily transport him in a pinch.

It's also much cheaper to drive to visit my family about 300 miles away (which is a trip I take several times a year) as opposed to flying, taking the train, or taking the bus.

After the analysis, I classified having a car as a need, at least for now.

N/A

US

Chaitai
Apr 15, 2006
Nope. I got nothin' witty to go here.

College Slice

Walking to and from work and around the neighborhood which is 90% of the time. Car for when we run errands outside the neighborhood.

1 car between my wife and I.

We bought new. I worked at the dealership at the time and gave myself a really good deal on the car I sold myself.

2011 Subaru Impreza.

~20k, 4 years.

Not including car payments, maybe $1500 / year? With car payments, roughly 6000. We get gas maybe once a month for 40 bucks, insurance is 600 dollars a year, and then public transit makes up the other 500. My wife takes public transit to work.

~200 dollars or so. Car only has 23k miles on it, so nothing has gone wrong with it yet.

2 miles.

I like the walk to work and 2 miles isn't very far to walk.

I use public transit only when it is either raining outside, or really really cold. It is faster for me to walk to work than it is to take the bus.

USA, Washington, DC

~140k

Chaitai fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 18, 2015

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Car/Motorcycle

Lease/Bought outright

2013 Ford Focus ST/2003 Honda VFR

~$30,000 for the car/$3200 for the bike

~$15,000

$600(oil changes every 5k miles roughly for the car/2k for the bike)

35 miles one way

Would have to take BART, then train, then a bus

United States

$90k

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Car

1, but the household owns 3 more.

Used

1991 Chevrolet Suburban V1500 5.7l

Not sure, been in the family since 1997. I've had it for about a year or two.

No car payments, $360 annually on insurance, $1400 on fuel = $1760

$2000 (277k miles means odd stuff starts to wear out like door seals, leaf springs, and stuff like turn indicators. This is a rough average. Might be lower if it actually fit in the garage)

6 Miles

It doesn't go where I need it to (Metro-Atlanta public transportation is kinda bad)

-

USA

$20k (Hopefully will change soon)

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Truck
Buy New
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
42k , 8 months
$10,800~
$0
4 miles
Local public transportation is joke
N/A
USA
$140,000

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Car (Winter) Motorcycle (Not winter)
Used
2001 Honda Civic
1979 Honda CB650
Civic - $3600
CB650 - $1250

$2000
$600
19 Miles
Not available or feasible
N/A
USA
$36,000

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Car

One

Used

'03 Pontiac Sunfire

$7500 (after financing costs, now fully paid off), 8 years

$2250 (est)

$250 (avg)

25 minute drive (15mi)

No routes available

N/A

USA, Mississippi

~80,000 USD

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 19, 2015

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Car

New

'08 Scion xD

$16.6K (with tax maybe, can't totally remember), got it in late '07 with >15% down, totally paid off in '10

$1,100

<$500 including snow tires, millage might reach 36k by the end of this year

2 miles - I don't walk cause the way to work is almost completely up hill (a steep hill that sometimes makes my ears pop driving down it) and due to narcolepsy w/o cataplexy, walking like that would take 30min. and require a nap at my desk to function for my job.

Bus route there would take 30 min. and it's unreliable (anywhere from 5 min. early to 15 min. late)

N/A

USA

Combined $42,600

Zantie fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 19, 2015

Hyper-Urho-Kekkonen
Mar 21, 2009
Bicycle/Bus/Train I take lyft occasionally too.

1 (just the bike, though, so that's more like 0.5 of a vehicle)

used (craigslist bike)

Strida

$450

about $40/month on public transit costs, probably about the same or somewhat more per month on lyft costs. I try to minimize the amount of times I use lyft because it's a lot more expensive than the bus, but buses are obviously slow and sometimes I'm in a hurry.

About 50 bucks. This year I bought a new tire and replaced the inner tubes a bunch of times at 5 bucks a pop

1.2 miles

I never got around to buying a car, and now that I live in San Francisco I'd rather deal with the hassle of taking public transit everywhere than the hassle of finding a place to park everywhere

USA, San Francisco

>$110k

I apparently spend about 1000 bucks a year on transporation not owning a car, which is a little sobering.

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

Car

Used

2012 Subaru Legacy

$18,200 - have owned it for about a year and a half.

Payments are $309 a month, gas about $80-100 a month, oil changes about once every 4-6 months as I don't put a lot of miles on it...

No major issues yet so nothing outside of oil changes and checkups, maybe a couple hundred a year?

12 Miles.

There would be no reasonable way to get to my workplace or anywhere near where I live without a vehicle. I live in Minnesota, it's well worth the additional cost to save the 1.5 hours per day minimum a bus would cause me to spend commuting.

N/A

USA

$52,000

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
1. What is your primary form of transportation
Bus, Car2Go

None

6. How much do you spend annually on transportation?
Bus: $320; Car2Go: $1500

8 miles/45-60 minutes

Transit + Car2Go is good enough for me not to spend $$$$ on a car.

US.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Car
Bought used
2012 Mazda 3 Grand Touring
~$19,000 (incl taxes, fees etc). I've had it for 21 months.
$1600 on insurance, $2400 on fuel = $4000
~$500
110 miles roundtrip
*chortles* see above
N/A
USA (LA/OC)
~$75,000

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 19, 2015

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Car
Used
2011 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
$19.5k all day, owned it 2 months
$4200 on car, $1300 insurance (drat uninsured motorists), $2000 fuel (lotta roadtrips planned)
No clue, just got it
16 miles
I work at a re-purposed nuclear weapons production facility out in the boonies, public transit is insultingly bad (and used as a race dogwhistle to boot when people talk politics)
N/A
USA
$75k

The Dipshit fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 21, 2015

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Car

1 for each myself and spouse

Used from single owners who maintained the vehicles well

Dodge

Both vehicles were in the $10-13k range, paid in cash. Approximately 4 years each.

Honestly, no idea. Too much. Probably $3000-3500, depending on the price of gas.

As much as it takes - I've had almost no non-routine maintenance on either of our vehicles and they have 100k & 122k miles. I will also do any work myself, apart from things that require welding or lifting the engine. I am not equipped nor experienced for these.

20ish miles

I have to get my kids after work. Also, I just looked for a bus route, and it would triple my commute time in the AM, and almost quadruple my PM commute time.

N/A

USA

Sufficient

johnny sack fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 20, 2015

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Car

Two (wife and I)

New

Honda and Chevrolet

$19-$20k approx. for both

Car payments, fuel, insurance, tolls, plates, maintenance = ~$12,000 / year

So far only oil changes, $180 / year?

~80 miles roundtrip

Because this is America.

N/A

USA

combined between 75-100k

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Bus for commuting, car mostly otherwise.

Two

Bought both used

2004 Suzuki SV650 and 2004 Subaru WRX

$15k for the WRX, had it a little over two years. Convinced the guy that sold the SV to take $1900 for it.

Fuel: $600/year Insurance: $1200/year Bus: Free from work Car Payment: $320/month for one more year

I probably spend about $500/year on each, between preventative maintenance and minor upgrades like bushings and brake lines.

2 miles via car or motorcycle to the park and ride, 30 minutes on the bus to work. And again in reverse.

N/A

N/A

Amurrca

$65k

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Car
2 (for a family of 4)
used
a toyota and a volvo
1987 toyota cressida - $900 - 1 month sold today
1996 volvo 850R - $2500
- 10 months
fuel - $1800
Insurance - $1200

Maint - $2000, but I rarely keep a car for more than a couple of months before I sell it; usually at a profit. Hooray for florida for making it really cheap to transfer registration. I am running $800 in the black on cars so far this year after all repair costs and maint are accounted for (except for time because this is a fun hobby).
<1mile, but I usually put in 10 miles or so in work related errands most days
I loving love to drive. Also, public transit in my town is poo poo and I have to run unexpected errands for work all of the drat time.
'mericA
$25,000

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 20, 2015

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This thread has just been survey responses so far. Anybody noticed anything interesting/worthy of discussion? I noticed that a lot of the "conventional BFC wisdom" like buying used cars doesn't seem to be commonly practiced in here.

Also, lots of people being ambiguous about their income or editing it out. Are you worried your fellow goons will kidnap you for ransom? I promise I won't but can't speak for others.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I learned only a couple of us are cool dudes who own cool motorcycles.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I think a lot of people buy new because a) they just don't want the headache of car maintenance and b) we have a lot of higher earners here, so they can afford it without taking on any real financial burden. There's also the fact that the buying slightly used cat is out of the bag and low mileage toyotas and hondas get snapped up at near KBB values these days, or so I hear. I bought new because I needed a car within a tight timeframe and used the time I had to negotiate a good deal rather than pray I come across a viable beater to use in DC traffic.

People are probably shy about posting their incomes because it could potentially open them up to harassment or allow people to track them down. I don't blame 'em. Wouldn't be surprised if someone who posted about their mid-6 figure salary got hit up with the occasional PM asking for a student debt bailout or somesuch.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ugh poor people ruin everything.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
One thing i've noticed is a lot of people make more than me annually yet I drive a nicer car which has made me critically think about my car leasing/purchasing decisions and I think the next time around I'm going to drive something a little more modest.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
When I was car shopping for a 1-2 year old Honda the price difference for something with low mileage wasn't worth the "unknown" of not knowing how the previous owner drove it. It was literally only $3000-$4000 more to buy new. Personally absolutely hate and dread dealing with car maintenance, and I can afford not to.

Unless you actually enjoy working on cars I think people absolutely undervalue the time / energy / stress spent on car troubles.

From personal experience I had no troubles talking about my income to friends/family before it broke $100k. It feels like six figures + age makes people think you should just pay for everything and expect hand outs. I'm pretty generous with my family and friends because I've been very fortunate in life, but people can go from grateful/appreciative to needy/demanding in the blink of an eye when they realize how much you make.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 20, 2015

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
Hondas and toyotas in my area go for well over KBB consistently. Used car prices are funny 'tho. Once you get something older than a few years then you never really know what people will ask.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I should also mention that I drove a hand-me-down 1991 Mazda 626 throughout all of high school, college, and starting my first job. It broke down all the time (dying at stop lights, breaking down on country roads, flaky AC, etc.) even after multiple repairs and was an absolute nightmare and I sort of promised myself that if I could reasonably afford it I wouldn't put myself through that again.

Extreme BFCers sometimes like to pretend that it's super easy to just go pick up a reliable beater car and drive it until it dies. Either those people are stupid lucky, already mechanics, friends with a mechanic, or know a local mechanic that is willing to cut them a deal and help them out.

The whole "make friends with a mechanic and they'll fix all your cars for a case of beer!" is pretty over zealous. I know a few mechanics (my Dad being one of them) and they were never super excited to work on my 626 for the 50th time.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Bugamole you have to adjust your expectations, it the AC stops working, you don't fix it, you start wearing tank tops.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I fully admit it's a lot easier for me to buy and maintain used vehicles because my dad is a master mechanic and I have learned a lot from him about that poo poo.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Car

3 (for a household of 2)

Used

2 x BMW and 1 x Audi

1993 BMW 325iS - $7,500 - 11yrs this July
1999 BMW 528iT - $2,000 - 3yrs this June
1999 Audi A4 Avant - $1,200 - 8mo

Rolling 12mo: Fuel - $2600, Insurance - $1500

Rolling 12mo: Maint - $1800 (I'm not counting my rental of a shop with a lift in here... I sell myself to cover (at least part of) that cost, so, yeah, it doesn't count!!)

2.3mile

Because America.

America

~$80k household

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I learned only a couple of us are cool dudes who own cool motorcycles.
Some of us want to ride, but our neurosurgeons said a ladder could paralyze me, let alone a bike :(

Zool posted:

Bugamole you have to adjust your expectations, it the AC stops working, you don't fix it, you start wearing tank tops.
Or you.. Fix it. Fixing cars is easy... (Says the certified mechanic ;))

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Zool posted:

I didn't really care about the AC. Having to push your car through a stoplight and wait for a tow / jump was pretty annoying though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Bus to/from work. Car, motorcycle or bus for everything else.
Used and used
2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250
1999 Honda Civic
$1600 for the motorcycle, $4000 for the car, both purchased last year.
$600 combined on insurance, $700 on fuel = $1300. Bus pass is free through work.
Budgeted $1200 for both.
17 miles each way
N/A
The bus route to work is fairly direct and goes over an expensive toll bridge. Also traffic is hell.
Seattle, USA
white collar DINKs

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 21, 2015

• Locked thread