Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Alien: Isolation is a 2014 survival horror stealth game developed by Creative Assembly, a company better known for the Total War series. After the deservedly harsh reception faced by previous licenced Alien franchise game Aliens: Colonial Marines, expectations were pretty dismal prior to Isolation's release. However, thanks to the dev team's evident love of the source material, their philosophy of building the gameplay around the titular creaure rather than forcing it into a tired FPS template and their meticulous attention to detail in replicating the movie's set design, Isolation was a limited commercial success and was adored both by critics and fans of the franchise. From start to finish the game builds tooth-grinding tension and gives the player a real sense of being hunted by an inscrutable, predatory intelligence. Rather than relying on scripted jump-scares or bullet sponge enemies (with a few exceptions) to provide its panic-inducing jolts of adrenaline, Isolation instead forces the player to match wits with the Alien's AI and brave the nerve-shredding atmosphere throughout.

Our protagonist, Amanda Ripley, is the daughter of a certain Ellen Ripley that cinemagoers the world over are surely familiar with. Seeking closure over her mother's disappearance, she signs on for a retrieval mission with the ubiquitous and morally suspect Weyland-Yutani corporation. The flight recorder of her mother's ship, The Nostromo, has turned up at Sevastopol station, a declining backwater waystation in orbit around a gas giant in some crapsack corner of space. Things are not going well on Sevastopol, as we will see.

In space, no-one can hear your commentary

This will be a video LP, but unlike the countless facecam screechfests on Youtube it will provide its commentary via subtitles. This game builds atmosphere through sights and sounds and set design so the dulcet tones of my alcohol-ravaged Scottish accent would only serve to detract from that. I'm new to video editing in general and subtitling in particular, so please do offer feedback as the updates come. Do try to be gentle, though, as the Alien will be abusing me enough as it is.

I can't lie to you about my chances

This playthrough will be on Nightmare difficulty, a relatively new mode introduced via patch. Features of Nightmare include drastically reduced loot drops, an unreliable motion tracker, massively increased damage and acuity of foes including the Alien itself, absence of an ingame map or readily-accessible health, ammo or battery readouts and a host of other mechanical tweaks geared towards paving your wake with a stream of liquid poo poo.

I'm not the best player in the world. I've only beaten the game once. I still have PTSD from last time. This will not be a 100% run, but I will do my best to show off everything I see when I'm not hiding under a desk hefting a molotov cocktail and crying. Mistakes will be made, wrong turns will be taken. If I get to a point where I'm worried the difficulty is too prohibitive to progressing the game I'll swallow my pride and turn it down to Hard.

Update schedule

Living in rural Scotland means I do have broadband, but it's only a slight cut above dialup. Add to my glacial upload rate my relative inexperience with video editing and the considerable difficulty of playing through the game on Nightmare and a weekly update schedule will be cutting it fine. However, I will try to get something up on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, along with bonus death/failure reels and, if the mood takes me, some effortposts about the game, the films, the setting and whatever else I can think of.

Spoiler policy

Unless you've been living under a rock since 1979 you probably have the rough gist of what the movies are about. As such, the Alien franchise, as well as related media such as prometheus and AvP are fair game for discussion with the explicit exception of Alien: Isolation. Any game-related spoilers should be in tags. Also, I'll allow discussion of Aliens: Colonial Marines despite it causing me profound pain to even think about that ludic abortion.

Other Alien and Isolation related discussion can be found at the excellent Games thread on the subject.

Part 1: The Crappiest Place Off Earth
Part 2: The Non-Aggression Principle / FAILURE REEL
Part 3: Tyrannophallus Rex / FAILURE REEL / POST
Part 4: Noises From Upstairs / POST
Part 5: Smile With Confidence / FAILURE REEL / POST
Part 6: Since You've Been Gone / POST
1st Intermission: Crew Expendable / POST
Part 7: Narnia - The Dark Descent / POST
Part 8: Phallus in Wonderland / POST
2nd Intermission: Last Survivor / POST
Part 9: Ovaries of Steel / POST

Survivor DLC: Amanda / POST

CJacobs did a thing.

CJacobs posted:

You've inspired me (I'm sorry)

"Six bullets. More than enough to kill one or maybe two things that move."

edit:

"I've been waiting for you, xenomorph... Now we'll see if the alien can live up to the legend!" *gets disemboweled*

edit:

"Now I'll show you why they call me... 'Alien bait'."

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Amanda Ripley

Our protagonist as we brave the labyrinthine confines of Sevastapol station, Amanda is a calm, capable and resourceful engineer who remains competent and stoic in the face of immense danger provided she isn't controlled by a complete idiot. On a mission to find her missing space-trucker mother, she is arguably more invested in getting to the bottom of things than any other character we've encountered thus far - though even mere survival seems like a herculean task, all things considered.

Christopher Samuels

A British-accented company man, something that no doubt sets alarm bells ringing for most Alien fans, Samuels is Amanda's ticket onto the Torrens and onward to Sevastopol. Separated from Amanda during the ill-fated spacewalk to come aboard Sevastopol.

Nina Taylor

A Weyland-Yutani legal exec sent to oversee the safe retrieval of the Nostromo flight recorder, Taylor is quite unused to long distance space travel and EVA excursions. Along with Samuels she is separated from Ripley by an accident during their spacewalk to board Sevastopol.

Diane Verlaine

Captain of the Torrens, a Nostromo-style space truck refitted into a long range courier vessel, Verlaine is our best hope of getting off Sevastopol alive. Unfortunately she's currently outside of Sevastopol space and patching up damage the Torrens sustained during our catastrophic EVA.

Axel

A hot-headed Sevastopol resident with a loaded gun and a dry sense of humour, Axel is our first introduction to the "gently caress you, got mine" zeitgeist that has overtaken Sevastopol's population. Willing to cooperate with Ripley provided he gets a ride home on the Torrens, he's our guide through the closest thing the game has to a tutorial segment.

Flare

Apart from searing retinas, flares are primarily useful for lighting up dark areas, burning your hands and distracting nefarious ne'er-do-wells that would do Ripley harm. The only consumable item, save for ammunition, that Ripley cannot craft for herself.

Medkit

Our first craftable item and a very useful one at that. These syrettes, presumably full of nutritious far-future amphetacrack, shore up Ripley's health when she inevitably comes to grief.

Maintenence Jack

When you're trapped in a sci-fi horror video game you better believe the humble wrench is your staunchest ally. While it's very useful for busting heads, the maintenence jack also allows us to accomplish a multitude of engineering tasks. Such as breaking things, twisting things and prying things. Truly a technological marvel.

Torch Flashlight

The flashlight allows you to see in dark areas without the aggravation of red-tinged after-images burning themselves permanently into your vision. The downside is its limited battery life, as Seegson has clearly bought from the lowest bidder and hasn't heard of hand-cranked dynamos. Thankfully batteries are pretty plentiful in the early stages of the game and we'll be wanting to use it sparingly anyway since it paints a nice big target on us.

Security Access Tuner

The security access tuner (SAT for short) allows us to hack doors and terminals with simple, timed minigames that become orders of magnitude more difficult the more we fumble, whine and fatfinger our keyboard as something hisses behind us.

Revolver

A big, shiny piece of death-dealing hardware that will surely come in handy. Provided you have ammo for it. And the time to line up a shot. And your target isn't incredibly resistant or even immune to bullets. But what are the odds of that?

Smoke Bomb

A simple, home-made smoke bomb, the same as the one you made with babby's first chemistry set. Rather than causing the terror alert that cordoned off and evacuated the three block radius around your house, however, this smoke bomb can serve a useful purpose that won't land you on a homeland security watchlist. Of course, obscuring one's own vision cancels out some of its utility when trying not to bumble headfirst into whoever or whatever you're looking to evade.

Flashbang

This flashbang grenade will blind and disorient anything with corneas, giving a brief window to escape or slip past or bash their brains in. Of course, the ratio of ambulatory threats to corneas on Sevastopol has yet to be determined conclusively.

Motion Scanner

I've been told it keys off of micro-changes in air density, but you'll be lucky if you can even get a reading off this broken piece of poo poo. On less ball-busting difficulties the motion scanner is an incredibly useful tool, but on Nightmare it's fairly unreliable. It can be a liability as well, if used in the wrong circumstances, as nearby foes can hear the distinctive pings.

Noisemaker

Another distraction device, the noisemaker emits a barrage of high-pitched dialup modem chirps after a 4-second delay. It's a good idea to change up your distraction strategies where possible as the AI of a certain beastie adapts somewhat if you use the same tricks over and over.

EMP Bomb

A chunky electro-magnet that can be used to temporarily stun synthetics, giving a brief window that is best exploited by legging it or bashing their heads open.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 22, 2015

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Looks nice so far, but could you maybe turn the subtitles on?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Puukko naamassa posted:

Looks nice so far, but could you maybe turn the subtitles on?

I had a terrifying moment there where I thought you meant I'd uploaded without commentary. I take it you mean the ingame subs? I'll put them on from now on. However, I'm currently three-quarters of the way through my recording of the next area, so it might be the update after next before subs kick in properly. The game certainly lays on its oppressive walls of noise, so I can certainly understand the trouble making some things out.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I meant the ingame subs. It's not like I missed anything watching the first episode, but I find it's useful to have them on anyway.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Seconding the opinion that this looks promising. As far as suggestions go, could you make your commentary a bit more visible? Maybe a bit larger and/or positioned higher? I've found myself having to rewind a few times because I didn't notice a subtitle appering or changing.

As for the game itself, I find it a bit lacking in atmosphere so far, compared to some other good horror games, first Dead Space in particular, though I can't quite put my finger on nthe reason why. Maybe it's because it's a bit too bright and colorful. Maybe it's because despite all the fire the environment looks a bit too pristine compared to the ubiquitous grittiness of DE. Or maybe it's because I've marathoned Kaubocks' and Panzer's Saint's Row 2 LP lately and Karma Chameleon playing on an infinite loop in my head puts a damper on any horror experience.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah, on rewatching the videos myself I've noticed that quite a few of the subtitles are a bit "blink and you'll miss 'em." I'm gonna try spacing them out a bit better so they're not running into one another and up the font size a bit. I'll also try to position them so they're not obscuring - or becoming garbled by - the ingame text. Are they okay in terms of font and colour? I think the white with black outline contrasts well enough, but when I'm editing I tend to focus on them almost exclusively anyway.

As for the game's atmosphere I might have a few biases due to being a massive fan of the original movie. They hit the nail so thoroughly on the head with the design of this game that it can't help but evoke in me a bizarre mix of wistful nostalgia and bowel-watering dread. Still, the griminess of all that bakelite might not be coming across on the vids but up close it looks scuffed, worn and trodden on. The windows on the Torrens are pretty filthy as well, which I think is a really nice touch. With such a small crew I imagine they never get round to squeegeeing them.

Things are proceeding quite well on recording the next update, but thanks to it being the first significant difficulty spike of the game I've got about 20GB of footage that's destined for the failure reel and probably a standard 50-odd minute video for the update itself. Much of this bloat is thanks to the way the game handles saving, so there's a lot of long takes getting cut as I try to hunt logs, complete objectives and make it to the next save-point alive. What I might do if it starts getting ridiculous is just take screenshots of logs and tack audio tapes onto the end of the videos, adopting a more goal-oriented strategy for the definitive takes.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
At the 15 minute mark, and trying to decide if I want to watch more or just buy the game. So thanks for selling me on it...

...Maybe after 10 more minutes...

(Good job!)

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I'm going to second putting your commentary somewhere a bit more visual, I kept missing it and having to go back.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah I got to say, this game has some of the best environments I have seen in a game to date period. They did an awesome job recreating the look and feel of the first Aliens movie. My only advice would just be to maybe try to be a little more "cinematic." The game is gorgeous, but we can't see it as well if you don't look at anything. That's a small gripe though, I think your doing pretty well. High hopes!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I watched part of your first vid and for some reason it's 4:3 instead of 16:9 on youtube. Same with episode 2 and the failure reel when I tried those out.

Other than that I'll definitely be following this LP. It's my personal GOTY when I played it last year and I highly recommend people buying it if they like what they see. It's basically System Shock 2 and Amnesia's superior love child.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Yeah I got to say, this game has some of the best environments I have seen in a game to date period. They did an awesome job recreating the look and feel of the first Aliens movie. My only advice would just be to maybe try to be a little more "cinematic." The game is gorgeous, but we can't see it as well if you don't look at anything. That's a small gripe though, I think your doing pretty well. High hopes!

Yeah, I think this is mostly a problem with the Nightmare difficulty. He can't see his health readout and stealth is much harder, so you kind of have to play like you're paranoid (I've read a lot of people saying they died to cutscene damage, to give you an idea of what all that winds up meaning.)

That aside, I think that this is off to a great start! :buddy: TomViolence, are you planning on showing off the two Alien related DLCs, Crew Expendable and Last Survivor?

Fridurmus fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 20, 2015

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
I have mixed feelings about this game. It is gorgeous and creates a very tense atmosphere. The setting is well designed. The game accomplishes making the player feel vulnerable while still in control.

But, boy, do I also have problems with it. Sometimes the tense atmosphere just becomes tedious. The fixed scares don't work well with the random scares. Luckily, most of my big complaints don't appear until much later in the game. Up until then, I had very few complaints.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Another suggestion for the LP, whenever you release a new episode, make a new post with a link to it, don't just update the first post. Makes it significantly easier to follow. Many people just check the bookmarks to see if there are new posts in the thread and will only see those they haven't yet read. Case in point: I didn't know there was a new ep before Ekster mentionned it in his post.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I really glad other people noticed this, I forgot to comment before bed last night.

Seconding the comments about your commentary, a bit larger would be great. Otherwise I'm really liking this so far.

I noticed you've been doing a little "roleplaying" with character positioning during the videos to make it look more like we're watching out the eyes of person, rather than a video game. Please keep doing this, it's great.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

slowbeef posted:

At the 15 minute mark, and trying to decide if I want to watch more or just buy the game. So thanks for selling me on it...

...Maybe after 10 more minutes...

(Good job!)

Glad to see I'm doing the game some justice.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Yeah, I kind of hustle through the first few areas at a fair clip. Partly this is due to my familiarity with the game's opening, partly because I want to get to what I consider the meat of the game. Another factor is video length, but that can easily be remedied by splitting things into 50-minute chunks.

Fridurmus posted:

That aside, I think that this is off to a great start! :buddy: TomViolence, are you planning on showing off the two Alien related DLCs, Crew Expendable and Last Survivor?

I will definitely be doing the Nostromo DLCs, probably as an intermission once we reach the rough mid-point of the game. They're not exactly spoilery as far as the game's plot goes, so I can put them in anywhere.

Aumanor posted:

Another suggestion for the LP, whenever you release a new episode, make a new post with a link to it, don't just update the first post. Makes it significantly easier to follow. Many people just check the bookmarks to see if there are new posts in the thread and will only see those they haven't yet read. Case in point: I didn't know there was a new ep before Ekster mentionned it in his post.

Yeah, I'll definitely be doing this from now on. When I had the firstsecond episode ready to go the thread had no replies, so I didn't want to start filling the first page with replies to myself for fear of looking like some kind of schizophrenic.

RickVoid posted:

I noticed you've been doing a little "roleplaying" with character positioning during the videos to make it look more like we're watching out the eyes of person, rather than a video game. Please keep doing this, it's great.

It's a very immersive game, which is where a lot of my enjoyment of it comes from, so I tend to have these little quirks when I'm playing anyway. Glad they add to the whole effect. Certainly for the first little bit of the game where it's effectively a guided tour, I wanted to show things off as if Ripley's discovering everything for the first time and just putting together how hosed up everything is.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 21, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Looking forward to watching all of this, Isolation is one of those games I would love to play but am worried I would spend too much time staring at a corner and debating my next move instead of just making it.

My one gripe is the lack of wide screen viewing. Watching it all in the tiny box feels like I am missing out on some of the detailed environment you talk about.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I tried a couple hours of this game and while I can admire its technical brilliance actually playing it frustrates me to no end because I feel like I have negative agency.

I guess I can settle for laughing at you and/or crying along with you.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh man the hands shaking right after the Alien appears in episode 2 is a great touch.

E: Considering how much this feels like you are playing out a version of the original movie; I really hope there is a sequel where you get to play out a version of the second with a little more focus on the combat (like how Ripley learnt how to fight the Xenomorphs somewhat in the 2nd film), complete with a few references such as the cobbled together rifle/flame thrower and a "Get away from X, you BITCH!"

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 21, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I tried a couple hours of this game and while I can admire its technical brilliance actually playing it frustrates me to no end because I feel like I have negative agency.

I guess I can settle for laughing at you and/or crying along with you.

I'm a throughly masochistic gamer, so dragging myself through this PTSD-inducing labyrinth is right up my street. I get what you mean, though. You're constantly being pushed through the game with little or no say in what you do or where you go. If it's not the alien herding you like a sheepdog it's the station falling apart or the Joes' indefatigable pursuit grinding you down.

Of course, all of this is pretty :unsmigghh: as far as I'm concerned.

Gridlocked posted:

Oh man the hands shaking right after the Alien appears in episode 2 is a great touch.

E: Considering how much this feels like you are playing out a version of the original movie; I really hope there is a sequel where you get to play out a version of the second with a little more focus on the combat (like how Ripley learnt how to fight the Xenomorphs somewhat in the 2nd film), complete with a few references such as the cobbled together rifle/flame thrower and a "Get away from X, you BITCH!"

While I agree with you in that I'd love to see such care and attention given to another run at an Aliens game, I think taking the focus off combat for Isolation was a masterstroke. Although you'll get your wish at least in part as we will be coming by some limited means of defending ourselves against the alien before long.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Finally had a chance to sit down and watch the second video. I've seen playthroughs of this game before so I know when the Alien is supposed to appear and how it's going to behave but Christ it still gets the adrenaline going every time.

Can't wait to see how you handle the nightmare that is the upcoming section.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

RickVoid posted:

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch the second video. I've seen playthroughs of this game before so I know when the Alien is supposed to appear and how it's going to behave but Christ it still gets the adrenaline going every time.

Can't wait to see how you handle the nightmare that is the upcoming section.

You won't have to wait long, god willing, as I'm currently subtitling said nightmarish section just now. Should have it up by the end of the weekend. After that, however, I'll probably slow down a bit. Want to push this one out quite early to give a real taste of what the game's about.

EDIT: I completely forgot to mention this earlier. Some of you mentioned the videos have a 4:3 aspect ratio. Unfortunately this is likely due to my weedy monitor only supporting resolutions up to 1280x1024, so I'm afraid I don't think there's much that can be done about it.

TomViolence fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 21, 2015

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I just watched the first two episodes, and man I am already riveted.

I love Alien, and this captures the aesthetic and the terror so completely I can't look away. I'm bad at dealing with tense games so I haven't mustered the courage to play it myself, but I was on the edge of my seat. And that first reveal of the alien? Chilling! I had to pause the video for a second cause it reawakened a long-forgotten childhood trauma.

Will be watching this with great interest. Thank you for giving this game the respectful LP treatment it deserves.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Jeez, between the paranoid humans, the Joes, and the Xenomorph, this game's really pushing the Isolation tagline, isn't it? I think you could count the number of things not trying to kill you on a single hand.

By the way, is it just me or is this Xenomorph a bit sturdier than its usual depictions? The folks in that one encounter unloaded quite a few rounds into it and it didn't even slow down.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Skippy Granola posted:

I just watched the first two episodes, and man I am already riveted.

I love Alien, and this captures the aesthetic and the terror so completely I can't look away. I'm bad at dealing with tense games so I haven't mustered the courage to play it myself, but I was on the edge of my seat. And that first reveal of the alien? Chilling! I had to pause the video for a second cause it reawakened a long-forgotten childhood trauma.

Will be watching this with great interest. Thank you for giving this game the respectful LP treatment it deserves.

High praise indeed, though much of the quality comes from the game rather than my presentation. I've always loved Alien and being poo poo scared. This really is the perfect game for me to do an LP of, so hopefully I don't mangle it too badly.

Blastinus posted:

By the way, is it just me or is this Xenomorph a bit sturdier than its usual depictions? The folks in that one encounter unloaded quite a few rounds into it and it didn't even slow down.

Oh yeah, in gameplay terms the Alien's pretty much invincible. However, we will encounter some means to defend ourselves and get a little bit of cathartic payback in the upcoming chapters...

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Oh god tell me you find Ellen Ripley's flamethrower.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Yeah, you've given me the "should I just buy it" dilemma. The answer is probably "yes," but I haven't played a game through in ages. I'm a horrible gamer...

General Antares
Sep 5, 2011

There be corundium up in them thar asteroids!!!

Blastinus posted:

I think its just that you're used to colonial marines using military grade rifles that are also 35 years more advanced than the time period in-game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What is that room with the high ceiling with chains hanging down? Nostromo had one and now Sevastopol has one. What's it for?!

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

What is that room with the high ceiling with chains hanging down? Nostromo had one and now Sevastopol has one. What's it for?!

Hiding scary Aliens?

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I've been waiting for this LP as I'm a big scaredy cat and won't play it myself. :ohdear:

So far it has been riveting, tense and exciting to watch. Thanks TomViolence

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Arglebargle III posted:

In the Nostromo, it was an empty cargo bay, with the chains normally being used to tie down heavy objects in transit. I can only think that the same would be done on Sevastopol station in case of something like gravity fluctuations or moving the station with a Nostromo-like tugboat.

As a Side note; I personally appreciate that the Sevastopol station is almost-identical, exterior-wise, to the massive mining rig that the Nostromo was towing in the movie.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I noticed that too! The ship in the beginning was creepy just by association.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
This is easily my single favorite game from last year. Just sheer dread to play. :allears:

Good luck with the LP!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I've just finished watching the failure reel, and I was really hoping you'd walked under the drool that was dripping from the vent.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

inflatablefish posted:

I've just finished watching the failure reel, and I was really hoping you'd walked under the drool that was dripping from the vent.

I wanted to get mad at that, actually, because by the way you were describing it, it sounded like a giant newbie trap. Sure, once you pointed out that white stuff dripping from the vents is bad news, I noticed it, but before then, I thought it was just an environmental detail and I'm sure most new players would think the same thing.

I'm assuming that walking under the vent makes you an instant late-afternoon snack, right?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The majority of the time. Sometimes if you walk under the goop while it's ceasing to a slow dribble you'll be fine because the Alien's not there anymore (the effect takes a few seconds to dissipate), but if it's on full goop waterfall you're instantly turned into xeno chow.

I picked up this game recently so it'll be fun to see a playthrough of it on the batshit hard difficulty while I personally struggle through on baby Normal difficulty instead.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

azren posted:

Yeah, you've given me the "should I just buy it" dilemma. The answer is probably "yes," but I haven't played a game through in ages. I'm a horrible gamer...

I hope you do buy it, that way we can get a sequel! :getin:

Sel Nar posted:

In the Nostromo, it was an empty cargo bay, with the chains normally being used to tie down heavy objects in transit. I can only think that the same would be done on Sevastopol station in case of something like gravity fluctuations or moving the station with a Nostromo-like tugboat.

As a Side note; I personally appreciate that the Sevastopol station is almost-identical, exterior-wise, to the massive mining rig that the Nostromo was towing in the movie.

Part of what I love about this game is that they work so much from the films into it without standing next to references with a big sign going, "Hey guys, remember this?" I never noticed myself the station's resemblance to Alien's mining rig, but it looks a hell of a lot like it, right enough. We can look forward to a lot more subtle nods like that.

inflatablefish posted:

I'm sure you'll get your chance to see it. The alien tends to spring that trap in areas where there's a mix of enemies and hazards to face, so I'm sure I'll run headlong into a vertical ambush before long.

Part 3's uploading right now. I had it done and ready to go yesterday, but youtube knackered it somehow so it looked like a blotchy inkblot painting. My hope is that if I double the bitrate youtube's compression won't bite such obvious chunks out of it.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

TomViolence posted:

I'm sure you'll get your chance to see it. The alien tends to spring that trap in areas where there's a mix of enemies and hazards to face, so I'm sure I'll run headlong into a vertical ambush before long.

If you can't lure your pursuers under one of those vents, I will be very disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
I didn't know Dan Abnett was primary writer for this. He's done a LOT of scifi adaptive writing, including for Warhammer 40k. Used to do a lot of teamups with Andy Lanning for comic books, in particular the 2008 teaming of 6 different D-grade Marvel space-heroes that they called GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY. That team lineup (minus Adam Warlock/Magus) ended up being the one they put into the blockbuster space opera with Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax the Destroyer, Rocket Raccoon and Groot.

• Locked thread