Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Ramones were trapped! They'd just shown up at the Downstairs Club for the night's show, when suddenly they were surrounded by a crowd of leather-clad robo-punks in sunglasses.

"Whoa, Johnny, look," said Tommy, "They look like us."

Johnny frowned and squinted, but he always had to do that with his hair hanging in his eyes as it was. "Well, they sorta do. I guess. Maybe."

Joey nudged Johnny in the shoulder, chuckling in advance at his own joke, "Well, they certainly ain't the Bensonhurst Young Republicans!"

Johnny just glared at that.

Dee Dee thought about it a bit. "But, like, what do they want, guys?"

A new voice broke in. "I'll tell you what they want!" It came from a tiny television set behind the untended bar. On the TV's flickering screen, a frizzy-haired Englishman in a bad suit reclined on a couch, gripping a leash with an angry punk chained up at the end of it. This second growled and barked at the camera as if it was a strange and frightening intruder. Perhaps it was. The Englishman yanked on the leash. "Quiet, Rotten."

"Malcolm McLaren!" the Ramones shouted in recognition.

The fashion impresario-turned-Sex Pistols-manager smirked his smuggest. "That's right, Ramones! It's me! And if I have my way, you'll be gone and everyone will think punk rock is about British class warfare, nihilism and gobbing on people!"

"That's terrible!" Dee Dee exclaimed. "Nihilists are boring!"

"That's horrible!" Johnny shouted. "The honor of our nation!"

"That sucks!" Tommy yelled. "Who wants to get spit on?"

"That's...eh, whatever," Joey concluded. The rest of the band gave him a look.

Meanwhile, Rotten had taken to "gobbing" on the lens of the camera, making it a bit harder to see what the two Brits were up to. McLaren shouted, "That's right, Ramones! Your end of the century comes today! Get them, my Robot Ramones!"

The robot punks all raised their arms like sleepwalkers and stalked towards our heroes!

"What're we gonna do, guys?" Tommy asked.

"Can we make it out the back?" Joey wondered, craning his already gooselike neck to look.

"Nope, we're surrounded on all sides," Johnny concluded glumly.

Dee Dee had an idea and snapped his fingers. "Follow my lead! 1-2-3-4!" He put his arms up and started walking forward. "BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT," he said.

The other guys shrugged and did the same, quickly mingling with the crowd of confused robots.

TOO MANY RAMONES is a mostly-standard Mafia game where an uninformed majority of cartoon robots try to find the flesh-and-blood minority of actual punk rockers in their midst. It's dumb, fast and loud. It's a couple girls and a dog away from being a Scooby-Doo episode.

For the follow-up to Hotel California `76, I was originally going to run NYC `77, having recently finished reading two books on the topic (Legs McNeil & Gillian McCain's Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk and Will Hermes' Love Goes to Buildings On Fire: Five Years in New York That Changed Music Forever) but in the process of writing flavor and roles for that game (which will still run at some point in the future) I mentioned to Antivehicular the problem of flavor-balancing a 13-player game when you had all four Ramones in the list. "Too Many Ramones" immediately became a running gag in the apartment, and the idea of a punk rock cartoon mafia game became too good to pass up.

In the meanwhile, let's look in on ED-D33 "Eddie" Ramone, the everyday sort of Robo-Ramone who drives the van and is lurking outside with the engine running.

quote:

Welcome, [Player Name]. You are ED-D33 "Eddie" Ramone, a Vanilla Town Robo-Ramone. Your mission is to find and kidnap the real Ramones, preferably by holding them over your head while running for the door going BEEP BOOP BEEP BOOP I AM A ROBOT. You are specially equipped with claw-hands and robot strength to make this happen.

Abilities:

Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.

Win condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

This game begins with seventeen players. Standard SA Mafia rules apply. Don't be a shitlord.

1. AnonymousNarcotics
  2. chaoslord
  3. CommaToes
  4. Epsilon Plus
  5. EXAKT Science
  6. CapitalistPig (replacing fiery_valkyrie)
  7. Five
  8. Hal Incandenza
  9. Met (replacing HiipFire)
  10. MC Eating Disorder
  11. MMM Whatchya Say
  12. Opopanax
  13. Orvin
  14. Poque
  15. Rarity
  16. Somberbrero
  17. The Science of Suck

hexwren fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
This is hilarious and I'll definitely play. I just hope this game stays fun and people don't get all angry and serious.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
My other game should be done by the time this finishes. I'm down.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

17 Ramones is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many but I am here to relive the glory of my FLAWLESS scum victory in Hotel California!

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
I will play op

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Also how did you feel about those two books?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

Also how did you feel about those two books?

Love -> Buildings is really good, though it almost tries to cover too much ground. `73-`77 in NYC music could easily cover a book twice its size, especially as it takes a minute here and there to dabble in a lot of stuff that gets overlooked during that period for the rise of punk and hip-hop: early disco/DJ culture, jazz, minimalism and most especially Fania Records and the rise of salsa.

Please Kill Me was less satisfying, though I am nearly always a fan of the oral history format---it is far more concerned with who was loving whom on what drugs at any given point over what music might have been played or recorded. It also seems to lend an unreasonable amount of weight to the various personalities from Warhol's Factory. Yeah, we get it, you did some wild poo poo, but other people occasionally had ideas too. Like, you're reading and after basically everything that happens, you get some Factoryite going "Oh, experimental theater? The experimental theater scene in NYC wouldn't have happened without the Factory." "Oh, transgressive sexuality? Lou Reed, Jayne County, Patti Smith, they wouldn't know the first thing about crossdressing if the Factory wasn't already doing that first." "Oh, loud and fast rock music? Yeah, Lou Reed did that in the Factory, but he was poo poo afterwards." Et cetera, ad nauseam.

e: Like, they literally take credit for David Bowie's everything. "Oh, he was just a flouncy old folkie before he visited the Factory," basically.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 21, 2015

Five
Jan 6, 2009

I think I can do two games. Sign me up.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I

Five posted:

I think I can do two games. Sign me up.

What 4 said - I'll play this and EccoRaven :)

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Hey! Ho! Let's go!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I will sign up.

I look forward to this game starting in April!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Rarity posted:

I look forward to this game starting in April!

If even then. What the gently caress was I thinking, right?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

If even then. What the gently caress was I thinking, right?

Maybe if you post in the general TG recruitment thread you'll get lucky and we can start the game in twenty-twenty-twenty four hours or so

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Epsilon Plus posted:

Maybe if you post in the general TG recruitment thread you'll get lucky and we can start the game in twenty-twenty-twenty four hours or so

ugh, sedate me now.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I'll play. I have only been in a handful of games before, but I have some time now.

Kleedrac
Jan 16, 2008

Mii, myself & I
As DBZ mafia and Two Axis have fired - I don't wanna be caught in too many games - I'm sorry but I shall have to ditch on the Ramones.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This loving community.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I will play. Hotel California was fun.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hello I will play your "mafia" game.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I will also join this one

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

chaoslord posted:

I will also join this one

I'm glad to see you playing Mafia!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Somberbrero posted:

I'm glad to see you playing Mafia!

Thank you! It's good to be back. Life finally settling down (and a couple of well timed PMs) convinced me to come back and have another go at this mafia thing

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chaoslord posted:

Thank you! It's good to be back. Life finally settling down (and a couple of well timed PMs) convinced me to come back and have another go at this mafia thing

Remember when I shot you in the Wire? Good times, man. Good times.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Okay, now that I'm not completely cranky, I've updated the OP. We are -6.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Rarity posted:

Remember when I shot you in the Wire? Good times, man. Good times.

Yes, haha. Before I replaced into that giant TT game I thought about popping into the theater thread and asking you to make me a card to see if you would find a way to shoehorn that into it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

chaoslord posted:

Yes, haha. Before I replaced into that giant TT game I thought about popping into the theater thread and asking you to make me a card to see if you would find a way to shoehorn that into it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

oh god they're in every thread

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I was told I have to do this

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Allen Wren posted:

oh god they're in every thread

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
Change thread title to not enough ramones

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
insufficient ramones

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Cool Hang Out Mafia has ended in Moderator Defeat

I'm in.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

When Allen attempts to open a game, open two games as a free action

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I am not understanding these cards, but it seems to be an inner circle mafia thing.

Can you cast "Summon more Ramones"?

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
This is the last game that I'll be joining and im basically only joining it cause Allen made it and MMM is in it

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

HiipFire posted:

This is the last game that I'll be joining and im basically only joining it cause Allen made it and MMM is in it

:(

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HiipFire posted:

This is the last game that I'll be joining

Boooooo

CommaToes posted:

I am not understanding these cards, but it seems to be an inner circle mafia thing.

People were joking about mafia players as Magic cards in Taste's giant game and I had a post restriction where I could only post MSPaints so I joined in by making a card for myself and then it all just spiralled from there.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
LAST GAME AS IN IM NOT JOINING ANOTHER ONE UNTIL I FINISH ALL OF THEM

IM NOT QUITTING IM JUST BAD ENGLISH OKAY

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

HiipFire posted:

LAST GAME AS IN IM NOT JOINING ANOTHER ONE UNTIL I FINISH ALL OF THEM

IM NOT QUITTING IM JUST BAD ENGLISH OKAY

Hiip they're just trying to get you to overextend yourself

Adbot