Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

PWInsider posted:

:siren: 11:12 AM Update: A video of the complete bout has made it's way online, which provides a greater picture of what happened before Aguayo collapsed. All four men are battling in the ring when Aguayo is nailed with a missile dropkick. He takes a bump that results in him flopping over and landing on his stomach. He returns to his feet and takes a head scissors from Mysterio, bumping outside to the floor, twisting his body while running to take the move and go through the ropes. Aguayo lands on the outside and returns to the ring and is dropkicked, resulting in him landing against the ropes in the traditional position to take the 619. It appears Aguayo may have suffered a spinal trauma while taking the bump to the outside of the ring, not realized it (possibly due to the adrenaline of performing) and worsened the injury taking the dropkick after he returned to the ring. Once he hits the ropes, Aguayo is completely out and it appears that since he landed in the normal position to take the 619, that greatly added to the confusion as initially one would think he was just selling. [End update]

Initial Observer report:

Wrestling Observer posted:

Perro Aguayo Jr. died last night during a match with Rey Mysterio Jr. in Tijuana. In Mysterio Jr.’s return to Tijuana, during a tag team match with Mysterio Jr. and Xtreme Tiger against Aguayo Jr. and Manik, Mysterio Jr. appears to set up Aguayo Jr. for a 619 but something happened. What that something was is unknown right now. Initial reports said that whiplash from Manik hitting the ropes first caused the injury but that no longer looks to be the case.

Arguayo Jr. may have simply hit the rope awkwardly but regardless it's clear that he immediately goes limp. The match continued for a brief moment or two but it then became apparent something was very, very wrong.

He was pronounced dead in the hospital shortly thereafter.

At this point, anything else on my part would be speculation. No doubt, Dave Meltzer will have tons more on this throughout the day. Needless to say, this will go down as one of Mexican wrestling’s most tragic and infamous moments and for American fans is probably best analogized to the death of Owen Hart.

There is video of the incident, which I’m not going to link to as it feels morbid, but which is easily found if you’re so inclined. Please be warned: it is a video of a man’s last moments on earth.

Having wrestled for CMLL and AAA, Aguayo Jr. was wrestling royalty, being the son of the legendary Aguayo Sr. and was one of Mexican wrestling’s bigger stars. Others far more qualified than I will have more to say shortly and wrestlingobserver.com will be providing details throughout the day as they become available and confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

absolute tragedy

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Easily my favorite guy in lucha and one of my favorite performers in all of wrestling. Just horrible news to wake up to. Thoughts with his family and the whole crew, especially Rey, who must be feeling some awful guilt right now even though it sounds like a series of freak accidents.

TheOneTrueKing
Apr 3, 2010
Terrible terrible news. And lots of online news sources are, incorrectly, blaming Rey Mysterio's 619. Which is only going to make things worse.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

holy poo poo

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i only realy became familiar with him over the past few weeks, but he was obviously such a great heel: http://a.pomf.se/rmayif.mp4

rip :(

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

This really sucks. He was the best heel in AAA.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
There were so many people with smart phones and tablets in the crowd just recording this and it's all terrible.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wrestling is fake, guys.

right? :ohdear:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

very sad

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
noooooooooooo

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
id only seen the dude on the AAA show this week and his heeling was great, reading about his antics and ability to carry dudes via crowd brawls and poo poo made me wanna see more of him and now hes dead

basically

yea ok posted:

very sad

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
A huge loss. One of the greatest heels in the current wrestling scene, gone too soon.

Not blaming Rey on this, this was an accident.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I was only dimly aware of him and his career, but a genuine shame to be sure :(

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
I make jokes, but this is truly sad. Life is fleeting and it'll kill you even when you feel like you're doing the most routine of things. I'm sorry to all the lucha fans here for the loss.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Perro was such an all-around package. Great in every aspect. One of the best in recent history at getting heat whenever he wanted. Far too soon for him or anyone at 35. He just had a really good main against Myzteziz on AAA TV (which is on youtube) two weeks ago and, of course, Rey de Reyes.

RIP Perro

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rey must be apopoleptic.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

I know a lot of people's first inclination is to make dumb Benoit or Hart jokes, but Jesus, what a tragedy. Thoughts go out to his family and friends.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yuriy posted:

id only seen the dude on the AAA show this week and his heeling was great, reading about his antics and ability to carry dudes via crowd brawls and poo poo made me wanna see more of him and now hes dead

Same. He took a swig of a fan's beer and then spit it back in the guy's face and I was like "this dude owns."

This has got to mess with Rey's head too. Not that he appears to have hosed anything up or that it was his fault, it seems like a routine thing that he did the same way as he's done it safely thousands of times before, but still.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
jesus christ :negative:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
This seems more like Misawa than Owen in that it wasn't a stunt but just the straw breaking the camels back, but yeah this is rough.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Rey must be apopoleptic.

Between this, Benoit, Eddie, and working for WCW I'm amazed he has enough strength to get out of bed in the morning. That is one tough guy.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
:nms: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=245_1426945082 heres a vid of it by the way

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
http://i.imgur.com/ca6lj6K.jpg

screen cap from a recent match

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
all the "mysterio hurts people all the time" jokes are grimly hilarious now

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Konnan shaking him around was about as bad as what happened to Hayabusa.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
i'm far from the best person to recommend his best work but these matches vs. Hijo del Santo and Místico from the last CMLL boom period are really good (edit: actually upon rewatch they're kinda the same match, Santo one is better though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc0Mhe2iLoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUFkQslcmvY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH3yFHZzZCA

that aforementioned Myzteziz match from the AAA Sin Límite that aired a couple weeks ago is a lot of fun too

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 21, 2015

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Man, what a tragedy to all parties involved, especially the family. I hope Rey doesn't retire after this one; I'm already seeing a bunch of inflammatory "Rey Mysterio kills wrestler with 619!"

Everblight posted:

Wrestling is fake, guys.

right? :ohdear:

ehhh

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

That sucks. :(

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Monkeycheese posted:

no, not really and youre kind of a oval office

theres kind of a big difference of "oh man, rey's unsafe because his knee brace cuts people open" and guilt tripping a dude for a freak accident from a move/bump he's probably done/taken a thousand times and went wrong

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i havent watched the video but from what i read it was an elaborate series of falls, including getting thrown out of the ring, leading up to the 619 spot that probably did it

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Monkeycheese posted:

actually this is just going to make unfunny people tell more unfunny jokes

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
It'd be easier to mentally process if it was like a big impact that he didn't get up from. But it looked like he just died after selling into the 619 position. What a bizarre and terrible thing. :(

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just don't understand how it went on that long. It seems like Manik notices something is up right away.

I mean I guess he could have just been unconscious, but Jesus, stop the match.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

actually this is just going to make unfunny people tell more unfunny jokes

I meant in retrospect to the prior ones, cuz yeah there's gonna be a lot of unfunny "edgy" horseshit

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

is aaa or whatever scummy enough to make this into an angle or do they have a bit more tact

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Full match on youtube
:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmieRklWdaE :nms:

Happens right around 6 minutes in

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yuriy posted:

is aaa or whatever scummy enough to make this into an angle or do they have a bit more tact

well, AAA ran an angle after Antonio Pena died where Konnan won an urn containing his "ashes" and then smoked them in a bong on TV

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Full match on youtube
:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmieRklWdaE :nms:

Happens right around 6 minutes in

wow yea it seemed so basic, makes you appreciate the risk they actually take doing all that make believe poo poo in the ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just don't understand how it went on that long. It seems like Manik notices something is up right away.

I mean I guess he could have just been unconscious, but Jesus, stop the match.
Not to compare my limited experience to a veteran, but I got knocked loopy in a tag team match once, and two of the guys in the match (my partner and the illegal opponent) didn't even realize it until we were talking afterwards. There was a couple of minutes I didn't remember, where I was basically out on my feet but still doing things like kicking out on instinct.

It's easy for me to look back at the video and see how out of it I was, and pinpoint exactly where it went wrong, but in the heat of a tag-team situation it's even harder than usual to communicate when someone's hurt and react accordingly.

In this tragic case there wasn't even an obvious fall or botch to clue people in, so among the four remaining guys in the ring it's hard to get a unilateral message of "stop the show now!" across.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 21, 2015

• Locked thread