Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yahoo already doing their part to make Mysterio look bad in this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

in the old days this would signal a natural heel turn for mysterio and he'd be renamed "el interruptor enmascarada de cuellos"

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

sk posted:

i found out about this on facebook where it just said "Wrestler dies in ring during match with Rey Mysterio" or something, so i can imagine this is hard for rey for sure. tragic :(

I heard it reported on my local news radio station.

If this gets more mainstream publicity Rey might never hear the end of it.

fake e: Saw the yahoo screengrab, welp

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
The 619 went over the dudes head

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm actually legitimately surprised that the headline wasn't,"WWE Star dies in ring" with a picture of Rey Mysterio as the graphic.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Many sites are reporting this as a 619 that hit him in the trachea and caused severe whiplash

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
I went and looked him up on Wikipedia, drat, he debuted in 1995. He was a drat teenager and he wrestled for 20 years, and in a lucha libre style. It's a tragedy, but drat if it isn't understandable in retrospect.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I doubt many of them even know what a 619 is. gently caress this is terrible for Rey.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I went and looked him up on Wikipedia, drat, he debuted in 1995. He was a drat teenager and he wrestled for 20 years, and in a lucha libre style. It's a tragedy, but drat if it isn't understandable in retrospect.

Lucha is often easier on the body than most styles since there is less bumping but Perro did some brutal garbage brawls and had substance abuse issues so he wasn't in the same stars are.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

quote:

luchablog ‏@luchablog 3m3 minutes ago

Perro Aguayo Sr. has not been told about his son's death, because of concerns about Perro Sr's health. http://m.espn.go.com/deportes/nota?storyId=2327296&src=desktop&cc=5200
14 retweets 0 favorites

More cheery news, guys!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Man, this really loving sucks, I can't even imagine how Rey is feeling after all of thing. :smith:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I wonder how Vince feels about getting the main stream attention of "former employ killed a dude."?

Thauros posted:

More cheery news, guys!

loving hell. :smith:

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Did El Hijo get a chance to be in the WWE?

I don't know a lot of wrestling history, didn't DDP enter wrestling in his 30's?

Watched the video and it looks he took some good hits and injured himself trying to sell one too many times

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

I had a couple details wrong.

In 2009 Peachstate Wrestling had a retirement ceremony for Mike Jackson, during the ceremony he was attacked by heels and the crowd rioted. One guy reportedly pulled a knife, but things got crazy when an elderly man went to his car, got an axe and attempted to attack the heels with it before being arrested.

Let's not forget Japanese fans sent Saito death threats after Misawa died.

East Tennessee is a magical shoal for old timey wrestling fans

Hearing the news about Perro Sr. Not being told about his son's death. gently caress.

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
Just watched the video and wished I didn't.

Like people have said it's an accident no one is at fault. Even Konnan who seems to handle Perro roughly is coming from it being both a guy whose body is majorly hosed so can't move properly and probably thinking that Perro was just knocked silly. It's probably one of the last things you would consider in that context 'oh one of my fellow wrestlers is slumped against the middle rope, he must be dead'.

Mexican wrestling does have some serious problems, take the 'surprise' death of Abismo Negro some years back or Charley Manson currently doing jail time.

I see the Lucha Underground thread and all the joy it brings people and I hope continued support and growth of that show can help build a greater international audience for lucha and hopefully profits will help improve the working conditions and lower the tolerance to drugs and alcohol abuse in the lucha scene.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Yuriy posted:

yea, i said i wasn't gonna watch it because i dont wanna be seeing no snuff video but it autoplayed on facebook and its just sad because nothing there is like shockingly out of place spot or bump wise and it still loving killed him =/

This was worse than snuff for me because I can just avoid that stuff and you sort of know what you're getting into if you watch it. Here it's just a fall into the rope and that's it. No blood, no anything, just alive one second and gone the next with no visible reason or reaction. Friggin' sucks.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

A kinda scary anecdote on lucha attitudes towards perfomers' health and alcohol use from the 2/2/2015 Observer:

quote:

There was a report from Japan from the owner of a wrestling store saying that Mistico was in terrible pain the entire Japanese tour, and at the 1/18 Korakuen Hall show (the second to last show), he was in tears backstage. The wrestlers from New Japan told him he needed to go to the hospital, but his seniors in CMLL told him he would be okay if he just drank heavily (that is something of a Mexican protocol in some circles).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MVP posted:

Did El Hijo get a chance to be in the WWE?

I don't know a lot of wrestling history, didn't DDP enter wrestling in his 30's?

He trained in the late 70s, had one match, quit the business, ran a club, became a manager in the late 80s, and then became a wrestler at the Power Plant in the early 90s.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Jesus Christ that Hurricarana was all kinds of wrong. If that dropkick didn't kill him, he would have dropped like a sack flour walking out of the ring.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is so hosed, man. gently caress.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
I'm just curious. Was this a AAA show? I can't find any info one way or another,

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Indie promotion called Crash using AAA talent and others, from what I can tell.

From Twitter:

quote:

@therealfredo: Box, Lucha & MMA Commisioner of Tijuana says Perro Aguayo Jr's death was due to cardiac arrest. http://t.co/7hNZFa3NyN

It'll be a couple more days until everything is settled. One report said "spinal stroke" which seemed pretty odd and maybe some kind of mistranslation.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 22, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
https://gfycat.com/AgitatedEvenKittiwake

:unsmith:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Thauros posted:

A kinda scary anecdote on lucha attitudes towards perfomers' health and alcohol use from the 2/2/2015 Observer:

Jesus loving christ, that's awful. If Japanese wrestlers are saying someone should go to the hospital, they should probably have gone to the hospital several days ago.

Sometimes this lame loving pastime is too horrible.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!
Hearing that it really does seem to be from the neck on the rope setup is even more nuts, that spot is usually so innocuous. He had to have had some crazy poo poo going on

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

skaboomizzy posted:

From Twitter:

It'll be a couple more days until everything is settled. One report said "spinal stroke" which seemed pretty odd and maybe some kind of mistranslation.

The report on Twitter I saw was "golpe que tuvo en la región cervical" which would be trauma to the cervical spine but Luchablog translated as "spinal stroke", I'm not up on my Spanish medical terms though.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

skaboomizzy posted:

From Twitter:

doesn't one lead into the other

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Watching the thing, it looks like he's a bit messed up from that roll he does. He gets up and nearly botches the hurricarana and goes to the outside, gets back in and can barely get up when the dropkick hits, which knocks him out. Then Konnan shaking him around like that and all the movement that takes place afterwards couldn't have helped at all.

And holy gently caress the irresponsible hacks who are saying it was the 619 that killed him. Just how much of a shithead do you have to be to make something like that up? Someone had to have said it first to get it reported, and you can bet it was someone who just have to have the scoop that Rey killed a guy with his signature move in Mexico. No thought, no care, just 'Rey killed a guy'. loving rear end in a top hat scum of the earth.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I'm just curious. Was this a AAA show? I can't find any info one way or another,

People keep saying its an indie. I haven't heard anything either way.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
ESPN front page: "Wrestler dies after hit from WWE-ex Mysterio." That's so hosed because of what it implies.

Thanks for those posting highlights. He really had special charisma. This entrance from Triplemania says it all (start at 4:45)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlSgOrjjCgg&t=4s

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Dave Meltzer @davemeltzerWON
Whole building in tears at Lucha Underground, they just did a Perro tribute. Raw really should as Perro's father was gigantic in LA.

Don't see a Raw mention coming, imo

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

sigmachiev posted:

ESPN front page: "Wrestler dies after hit from WWE-ex Mysterio." That's so hosed because of what it implies.

Also, as usual on the internet, don't read the comments.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

electric funeral posted:

Also, as usual on the internet, don't read the comments.

loving click bait titles are the worst

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
chris dickinson interrupted a ten bell salute for perro aguayo stating that disrespect is his middle name. that is not how you get heat you huge poo poo fucker

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
chris dickinson was also the person who blasted kimber lee with a gigantic chair shot, so he is a tremendous rear end in a top hat

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

sigmachiev posted:

They probably saw the first reports that speculated it was from the dropkick, didn't see the video and follow-up reports that came later on, and then didn't look into it afterwards because there's no one on staff who knows a hoot about lucha libre.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Now I'm curious as to what causes spinal stroke because a lot of other people take that same move from Rey when they set up the 619.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

TV Zombie posted:

Now I'm curious as to what causes spinal stroke because a lot of other people take that same move from Rey when they set up the 619.

This is completely and utter speculation, but I'm imagining that it's a Misawa type situation where his body was already having serious issues? I don't know. It sure does look like he was messed up well before that in this match.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Marquis de Pyro posted:

This is completely and utter speculation, but I'm imagining that it's a Misawa type situation where his body was already having serious issues? I don't know. It sure does look like he was messed up well before that in this match.

He had abdominal surgery a few years ago, which doesn't exactly lower the risk of that kind of stuff happening I thought.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

chris dickinson interrupted a ten bell salute for perro aguayo stating that disrespect is his middle name. that is not how you get heat you huge poo poo fucker

Wherever this happened I hope someone beats the poo poo out of him and then they blackball him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

CVagts posted:

Wherever this happened I hope someone beats the poo poo out of him and then they blackball him

lol if you think the promoter didn't approve/suggest it to begin with

• Locked thread