Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the best Gorillaz album?
Gorillaz (2001)
Demon Days
Plastic Beach
The Fall
View Results

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Regalingualius posted:

I'll admit, I really only got into Gorillaz about a year ago when I bought their first album on a whim; ever since then, I've really been digging into everything Albarn and his collaborators have done. Whoever said the guy's a warlock is underselling him, if anything; he's practically a loving legend of music. Anyhow...

I actually was a somewhat casual fan of Gorillaz back in the Demon Days...days, but kind of fell out of love with the group till I found the CD again I think last year and was blown away by how good it was. Finding out they'd released not one but two albums since was pretty great. Even if they weren't as good as Demon Days, they're still excellent.

Cubey posted:

Demon Days is a contender for best album ever made. Especially the end, the last three songs are loving insanely good as a single outro.

That's not to take anything away from S/T or Plastic Beach, which are both really great albums, but Demon Days is on an entirely different level.
:agreed:

Oxxidation posted:

I can appreciate The Fall as an album made entirely to spite the people who cut off Albarn and Hewlett's rad music videos.
It wasn't even meant to be sold, it was a free giveaway till the label made them charge for it. For a free album of Albarn dicking around with an iPad, it's pretty drat good.

Also, the music videos were indeed rad. I actually love the whole virtual side of things as much as the music itself. Hell of a lot more interesting than what's going on with 'actual' musicians. It's especially jarring since Plastic Beach was apparently meant to be the first in a trilogy of albums till the plug got pulled. I wanted to see a Noodle vs. Cyborg Noodle showdown with an awesome soundtrack. They're one of a tiny handful of bands where the video actually genuinely adds something to the experience.

Hopefully they'll revisit the unreleased songs they were working on in Phase 4. I think we can all agree Crashing Down deserves a full release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hopefully they'll revisit the unreleased songs they were working on in Phase 4. I think we can all agree Crashing Down deserves a full release.

I didn't know this was a thing. Too good.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
The Fall

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."
As good as they all are (except The Fall) Demon Days is a by far their best.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Plastic Beach, mainly because Yukimi Nagano guests.

Little Dragon owns and Albarn knows it.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Regarding a new album, apparently it's coming in November? I saw in an interview that they also have to cut back on the grandeur of the previous music videos due to, well, how much they cost and how little music makes these days.

EDIT: OK so Demon Days is best album ... but best song on album?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

thehomemaster posted:

Regarding a new album, apparently it's coming in November? I saw in an interview that they also have to cut back on the grandeur of the previous music videos due to, well, how much they cost and how little music makes these days.

Fire Coming Out The Monkey's Head is obviously the best song on Demon Days

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

thehomemaster posted:

I can't find any info saying the album is out in November.

Best DD song is El Maņana. Followed by the final trio, because they all run together.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Here we go, he starts recording it in September: http://blog.lessthan3.com/2015/07/gorillaz-confirm-first-studio-album-6-years/

BTW I saw Blur live in Sydney the other day. loving amazing :h:

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Ah sorry yeah I meant start recording, that's what he said in the interview.

Pretty jelly, I had a friend go to that show and he said it was awesome.

Agree with El Manana

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
El Manana is good poo poo but Dirty Harry was always my favorite.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
If you haven't heard it yet, check out the kinda more upbeat/shuffle-y version of El Maņana that Damon's been singing on his solo tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPPAA6742n8

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Demon Days is their best album, or it feels the most complete and well-rounded at least, and El Mañana is one of their best songs for sure. Demon Days and On Melancholy Hill also rank up there for me. If we include non-album songs my personal favorite is Doncamatic, it's just way too catchy.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I have to go with the original S/T album, it came out when I was in late high school and there are so many memories attached to that thing, though even seperated from nostalgia I just like it's vibe the most.

DD is a close second, and I only listened to PB once and kinda hated it but considering the love it's getting in this thread I should give it another shot.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I think the problem with Plastic Beach is that it had to follow up Demon Days. It's a very chill summer album on its own.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dangerous Person posted:

I think the problem with Plastic Beach is that it had to follow up Demon Days. It's a very chill summer album on its own.

The Fall is also pretty neat, even if thematically it's more of a 2-D solo album than a proper Gorillaz one(my liking of Plastic Beach and The Fall is probably helped by me only listening to them for the first time within the last year, besides Stylo, and Melancholy Hill that is)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dangerous Person posted:

It really suffered from Damon's decision to self-produce, which hurt The Fall, too. I'm hoping he gets someone else for album 5 but I don't think he's too into that idea anymore.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

It really suffered from Damon's decision to self-produce, which hurt The Fall, too. I'm hoping he gets someone else for album 5 but I don't think he's too into that idea anymore.

He needs to bring Dan the Automator back. Bring it full circle.
I guess Event II is as close to that sound as we're likely to ever hear again though.

FlowerPattern
Aug 10, 2015
Demon Days.

It's just... a classic. Each song is great, and segues into the next. Catchy, smart, fun, and just beautiful sonically. I listen to the album at least once every couple of months. Yep. All time classic. Which is not to say the debut or Plastic Beach aren't great. But Demon Days is seamless.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I know I said the S/T is my favorite album but my favorite Gorillaz related thing in general has to be the Demon Days Live DVD, it's a live performance of the entire album without holograms and stuff, just the people making the music. It has to be one of the best concert videos I've ever seen, I really wish it would get a HD/Bluray release

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I wish there was more coverage of the Plastic Beach Tour, the gig they did in Glastonbury must've been amazing to see in-person.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I got to go to their show in Camden in 2010. Best concert I've ever seen.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Yagyumi posted:

People! People! Whichever you choose, can we all agree that The Fall - though somewhat ambitious when you look back at how it was put together - probably shouldn't have happened?

I can not agree on that, since it's one of my favourite albums to chill and relax to. I usually put it on in a playlist with The KLF's "Chill Out" and Deep Dish's "George is On".
I didn't care for "Plastic Beach" at all. It had no enjoyable songs, and I kinda regret buying it before listening to any songs. "Gorillaz" and "Demon Days" both have some songs I like ("Clint Eastwood"; "Rock the House"; "19-2000"; "M1-A1"; "Feel Good Inc."; "El Maņana"; "DARE"), but the rest of the songs on those albums, didn't do anything for me. And that's probably why I voted for "The Fall". I enjoy everything about that album. Every song sends shivers down my spine. It's quite enjoyable.

Hedrigall posted:

Dream collaborators for Phase 4?

I'd have to say Little Dragon (again) and Childish Gambino are at the top of my list. Maybe Studio Killers for a double-virtual-band collab.

edit: Josh. loving. Homme.

edit 2: Comedy answer: Mike Skinner (:barf:)

The KLF, Deep Dish, The Flaming Lips, and Daft Punk. Maybe Miley Cyrus too, considering how enjoyable that new album of hers is (though, that might be because of mr. Coyne).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

thehomemaster posted:

DARE, although if you count the last three songs on the album as one song that would take it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Junior Jr. posted:

I wish there was more coverage of the Plastic Beach Tour, the gig they did in Glastonbury must've been amazing to see in-person.

It was alright, but it felt pretty self indulgent and Damon seemed disconnected from the audience.

Snoop Dogg improved it, and I guess its the closet I'll get to seeing the Clash live so there were some positives

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Whorelord posted:

It was alright, but it felt pretty self indulgent and Damon seemed disconnected from the audience.

Snoop Dogg improved it, and I guess its the closet I'll get to seeing the Clash live so there were some positives

Damon was chronically pissed off during the Plastic Beach tour. Bandmates and/or stage crew kept loving up constantly. There's a lot of videos on Youtube where you can see Damon giving death eyes or yelling at people (off-mic) during songs.

Then there was the time during Stylo where the lead guitar hadn't been tuned properly. It's painful to listen to, and even more painful to see the rage on Damon's face, while he's trying to keep the song together. Especially because it was one of the professionally filmed concerts. I can't find the video now, does anyone remember which concert it was at?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

thehomemaster posted:

O Green World. The way it opens from kinda pretentious art music noise to goofy and suddenly blooms into a crazy beautiful track is amazing and it throws everyone off who hasn't heard it when you play it. I love it.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
We Are Happy Landfill and Hong Kong are secretly the two best Gorillaz tracks

e: also Sweepstakes is the best song on Plastic Beach (Empire Ants is a close second)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 6, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

abraham linksys posted:

e: also Sweepstakes is the best song on Plastic Beach (Empire Ants is a close second)

you're a wunner

I actually really like Sweepstakes too, even though most people despise it.

And yes, Hong Kong is one of the best Gorillaz songs. In my top 3-5 for sure. El Maņana is still #1.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Hedrigall posted:

I actually really like Sweepstakes too, even though most people despise it.

I remember having to loving campaign for that song when that album came out, and I still don't understand where all the hatred comes from. It has a really fun, quirky beat, Mos Def saying a buncha nonsense, and then the brass kicks in and it goes from "silly filler" to "oh poo poo this is actually rad as hell"

The only complaint I have is I wish the, uh, "drop," for lack of a better word, was a little more built-up, instead of the horns just kind of appearing out of nowhere. Not a problem Empire Ants has, at least :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yeah, I think I heard a bootleg live version of Sweepstakes and it was miles better than the studio version.

Also, Hewlett's put a bit more phase 4 art on his instagram again.

E: And Stop the Dams and On Meancholy Hill are two of the best Gorillaz songs and I will fight anyone that says otherwise.

• Locked thread