Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Welcome, one and all to a very special, MOD CHALLENGE!

The poster of the day is Clawshrimpy!

Clawshrimpy, I don't know you very well, but the plenty of other ADTRW users seem to be quite familiar with you. After having looked through your posting history and your recent posts, I don't think very fondly of you. However, you are entitled to your right of free speech. What you are not entitled to is posting about GaoGaiGar and how much you project Mamoru as autistic homo because you yourself have psychological issues. This seems to be pretty deep-rooted and after some discussion with other posters, they feel it would be better if I just flat out banned you. I want to give you a chance though, because I don't like drudging up someone's past as a reason to probate/ban them. So here's my challenge for you...

I want you to watch a show and give us periodic summaries on your actual feelings about them. Your honest, original, and fresh feelings, please try not to be so ...you in the posts.

Rules
1. You are to watch at least one episode of the show a day and you have a grace period of three days to type up your impressions. If you do not give any impressions whatsoever before the three days is up, you fail. The impressions do not need to be episode-by-episode, but you have to at least provide information on which episodes you have seen so far.
2. You are not for ANY REASON allowed to draw comparisons to GaoGaiGar. I will only permit the comparisons if they are blindingly obvious. You saying "They're obvious to me" is not a reasonable response and I will take issue with it. If other users attempt to goad you into it, I will probate them for it, do not worry.
3. Your posts do not require a minimum amount of words or whatever, but I ask that you at least be somewhat detailed.
4. You are not to post in any other ADTRW threads until the challenge is done. Doing so will lead to an immediate disqualification and probation. That being said, you can use this thread to discuss anything else you so well please, I will not probate you from talking about whatever the gently caress you want to. The second rule also only applies to comparing the selected show with GaoGaiGar beyond obvious comparisons, so I will not punish you for discussing it in thread either.

Rules for other Posters
1. General forums rules, duh
2. Since the nature of this thread is very helldumpy by nature, I will allow some off-site drama to an extent. However, the second you get personal, I will probate you longer than I normally would.
3. This thread is to help Shrimpy gain a better understanding of why we are frustrated with him and trying to help him get along with everyone or at least "Agree to disagree." Don't be a dick about it.
4. NO SPOILERS ON ANYTHING, I don't give a gently caress what you wanna say. If I see a black bar for any of the listed shows, I'm hitting you for it.

Shrimpy if you successfully complete the challenge your fabulous prize will be, No one is allowed to say anything mean to you in discussion or they will be punished for a month. I will even go so far as to edit the forum rules for the month that this is in effect and ask people report others who are being rude to you in ADTRW.

However, should you fail the challenge I will be giving you a one month probation.

Now, for the shows.

They are all Tomino shows made at different points in time from when he first made MSG, Zeta, and so on. They are generally very upbeat shows and are well made.

The challenge will officially begin on Sunday, March 22nd, at 12:00PM EST and the deadline of three days must be met by March 25th at 12:00PM EST for you to avoid failing. Until then, the selection of shows is subject to change and if anyone feels they want to add anything that's fine. However, I am deferring to Paper Lion on final list decisions since this was his idea to begin with and he is more invested in Clawshrimpy's state of mind than everyone else.

Have a good day!

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ganbare shrimp-chan

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I wish you the best and hope you can watch them with an open mind. I look forward to reading what you have to say about the series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

brain powered is not well made

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're not well made.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
If we're wanting him to watch upbeat Tomino shows, why isn't King Gainer on there?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

You're not well made.
the opening is naked lady clipart floating over wonders of the world

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Endorph posted:

brain powered is not well made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGrsOI_C5hY

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

the opening is naked lady clipart floating over wonders of the world

I don't understand the issue.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

I don't understand the issue.
good point

also xabungle is completely subbed? i could have sworn it got dropped 2/3rds through. Maybe I'm confusing it with Layzner or something.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Akiman art deserves to be big.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Brain Powerd is the only mecha show, and I think show in general I've seen where a main villain's taunt to the hero is legitimately -something that would get me probated by Beef Waifu for telling you-.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 22, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's some good art.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I will follow Clawshrimpy's anime journey

maybeflan
May 15, 2014

Endorph posted:

good point

also xabungle is completely subbed? i could have sworn it got dropped 2/3rds through. Maybe I'm confusing it with Layzner or something.

Checking the /m/ archives, Xabungle's been fully subbed since September 1, 2012 and more recently Layzner on June 21, 2014.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Holy poo poo that picture owns.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Paper Lion, I'm curious: why Brain Powered?

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Son Ryo posted:

If we're wanting him to watch upbeat Tomino shows, why isn't King Gainer on there?

I just finished watching this and I'm gonna second it, King Gainer legitimately sounds like it could be right up his alley.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I suggest spoilers, even if hidden in tags, be minimized here if not completely banished for the duration of the challenge.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Midjack posted:

I suggest spoilers, even if hidden in tags, be minimized here if not completely banished for the duration of the challenge.

You're right

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybeflan posted:

Checking the /m/ archives, Xabungle's been fully subbed since September 1, 2012 and more recently Layzner on June 21, 2014.
yeah, i was thinking of layzner then.

i might check layzner out though if it's finished

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's been added

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

That's some good art.

I like this old painting he did for the original series run more, because it looks like it belongs to a Spielberg movie or something.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Endorph posted:

good point

Both Xabungle and Layzner are fully subbed, so you're confused about what you're confusing it with.

e: holy poo poo this thread is moving fast for ADTRW

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Traditional Media Art > Digital Art.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

2. You are not for ANY REASON allowed to draw comparisons to GaoGaiGar. I will only permit the comparisons if they are blindingly obvious. You saying "They're obvious to me" is not a reasonable response and I will take issue with it. If other users attempt to goad you into it, I will probate them for it, do not worry.
What if I were to tell you that one of these shows appears in official licensed crossover media with GGG?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lostconfused posted:

What if I were to tell you that one of these shows appears in official licensed crossover media with GGG?

What if I were to tell you I didn't know?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nor do I care, that's not really comparing anything it's just a cool thing.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
SRW is kinda cheating, really.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Lostconfused posted:

Err, do you mean besides Super Robot Wars?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I don't think any of them are featured in GGG ones. Turn A's only in the Z series and Alpha Gaiden, Brain Powerd's just in Alpha 2 and J, and Xabungle in Alpha Gaiden and the Z series. GGG is just in Alpha 3 and W if memory serves.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's in Alpha 2, so it has Brain Powerd.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

King Gainer definitely belongs on the list of choices for Shrimpy, ya'll are right.

Also to those wondering about Brain Powerd, there are some reasons:

A) Shrimpy has had trouble with watching shows involving protagonists that do bad things/antagonists that do good things, and understanding the motives of antagonists in general. I feel that Brain Powerd has a very strong and compelling antagonist (Jonathan, who is legit top 3 for favourite anime characters for me) and seeing him discover and react to the show would at least be interesting.

B) It deals with themes of family, as well as motherhood and womanhood to an extent, and that was also a topic that came up in his recent forays into the Super Robot thread so I thought that would be relevant.

C) It's batshit insane and amazing to watch and the dub in specific is the only way to watch the show and I adore it and having it get simulwatched would expose a lot of people to what is otherwise a really unknown show that should be seen and talked about more.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I managed to pick up Brain Powerd a few years ago for 25 bucks, been meaning to watch it for the longest time. Maybe I'll do a Simulwatch if Shrimpy doesn't pick it.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TARDISman posted:

I managed to pick up Brain Powerd a few years ago for 25 bucks, been meaning to watch it for the longest time. Maybe I'll do a Simulwatch if Shrimpy doesn't pick it.

I'll probably join you in that case. I'm very bad at actually watching the anime that slowly accumulates in my collection, so I'm in favor of some sort of simulwatch to act as a driver/schedule.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW
I will say that, as nervous as this makes me, I will try my best to make this interesting and follow the guidelines.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

TARDISman posted:

I managed to get it for even less than that and consider it worth every penny just for those puffy pilot suits alone.

On the other hand, I originally saw it before Turn A, but now that I have it's weird hearing Kanan speak. :v:

Steam
Mar 19, 2015
Best of luck with this Shrimpy. I've gotten to be able to see you grow up over the years from your posts on /m/ and whatnot. I know sometimes I've said stuff you haven't liked (like when I trolled your twitter feed a little while) but this is a good group of people who want to help you feel better about anime and life in general. And personally, although sometimes what you say can make me mad or disappointed, you're not a bad person. The fact you're willing to at least *try* to do this is something you should find strength and pride in, because not everyone in your shoes would be able to.

And I know you're not a fan of Gurren Lagann *or* Kamina, but Kamina's most important words I think are appropriate here: "Believe in the you that believes in yourself." Be confident in having confidence in yourself. This is your chance to expand your horizons and explore beyond your comfort zones. And you can share what you feel about what you experience and have an active, attentive audience.

Think of this like it's your big break in the world of internet reviewing. Ganbare.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is the above post probation worthy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steam
Mar 19, 2015
I wasn't trying to make fun of him, and if if it came across as that I'm sorry.

• Locked thread