Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I got bullied at school, I moved past it. I plan to go to a school reuinion later this year with some of the people who bullied me, I will probably have some drinks with them because I don't hold a grudge for what people did when I was 10 years younger.

I don't know if bullying made me stronger, but I haven't run away from life because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ActionZero posted:

Okay shrimpy let's do this. I was bullied quite a lot at school for things that in retrospect I really couldn't have done anything about, I don't think it was as much as you've described happening to you but it did get pretty drat bad at times. Now I'm not going to say I'm glad these things happened, but they did and there's no way I can change that, but I did learn from these experiences and I am pretty drat sure that I would be an entirely different person than I am if they hadn't happened.

But because only your experiences matter, you find the very concept of a significant chunk of who I am as a person to be revolting and are actively dismissing it. I was bullied and it made me a stronger person, you hate the idea of this. Do you see why I might be so pissed off at you for this?

I was bullied at school until I did the weediest fat nerd half-punch in the world and tapped him on the jaw and then ran like a little bitch, I was then forever the guy who punched brian, who it turned out absolutely nobody liked in any way and it got me minor props for the rest of my school days.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Artum posted:

I was bullied at school until I did the weediest fat nerd half-punch in the world and tapped him on the jaw and then ran like a little bitch, I was then forever the guy who punched brian, who it turned out absolutely nobody liked in any way and it got me minor props for the rest of my school days.

lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Artum posted:

nice

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Artum posted:

So what you're saying is the real monster was inside you all along.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
you embraced toxic masculinity you monster

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

ActionZero posted:

Okay shrimpy let's do this. I was bullied quite a lot at school for things that in retrospect I really couldn't have done anything about, I don't think it was as much as you've described happening to you but it did get pretty drat bad at times. Now I'm not going to say I'm glad these things happened, but they did and there's no way I can change that, but I did learn from these experiences and I am pretty drat sure that I would be an entirely different person than I am if they hadn't happened.

But because only your experiences matter, you find the very concept of a significant chunk of who I am as a person to be revolting and are actively dismissing it. I was bullied and it made me a stronger person, you hate the idea of this. Do you see why I might be so pissed off at you for this?

But if I were to take it as your guy's experiences are the ones that matter, doesn't it invalidate how I felt?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Artum triumphed over adversity, but at what cost!?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Compendium posted:

you embraced toxic masculinity you monster

I spend my days accosting women in the street for how they dress and nights sobbing since none of them will sleep with me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Artum posted:

And then everyone stood up and clapped.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Namtab posted:

I unironically want Shrimpy to watch and review K-ON.

Is ritsu a bully???

Making the dude watch some mecha anime was the wrong move. Make him watch some shoujo stuff, I hear My Love Story!! is all the rage nowadays.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And then everyone stood up and clapped.

EVERY element of that paints me in a bad light, the guy was even a foot shorter than me. How is that a stdh.txt.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

But if I were to take it as your guy's experiences are the ones that matter, doesn't it invalidate how I felt?

What if......both experiences matter

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Clawshrimpy posted:

Your experiences are valid.

My experiences are valid.

Artum's experience of giving a lovely punch is valid.

Everyone's experiences are valid without invalidating other's experiences.

Get this through your thick head.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Namtab posted:

That's crazy, it's completely impossible for somebody to be something other than 100% right or wrong.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What if.....context existed

What if.....you could be wrong about some things and right about others

What if....your nightmare is real and that's ok

What if....life wasn't black and white

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clawshrimpy with the whole talk of toxic masculinity and patriachy and all that jazz you sound like you would enjoy some shoujo fluff.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy, watch Revolutionary Girl Utena.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
It really should have been nozaki kun instead of mecha.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

Clawshrimpy with the whole talk of toxic masculinity and patriachy and all that jazz you sound like you would enjoy some shoujo fluff.

Watch Sailor Moon

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Artum posted:

EVERY element of that paints me in a bad light, the guy was even a foot shorter than me. How is that a stdh.txt.

Almost too bad a light.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Namtab posted:

That's impossible. It would mean that other people actually exist and aren't just constructs created by my own mind and projected on the wall of Plato's Cave to keep me from feeling lonely.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Namtab posted:

Almost too bad a light.

Am I seriously being told that I must actively defend my assertion of how pathetic I was as a young teenager by the internet.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Namtab posted:

But you're all trying to treat me like I'm horrible for being a coward and hiding.

If both experiences matter, why is my mindset considered to be the wrong one?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Artum posted:

I'm just messing with you cause it just kind of came out of nowhere. No real problems here.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

But you're all trying to treat me like I'm horrible for being a coward and hiding.

It's possible for an experience to matter but for the opinions you form as an outcome to be incorrect.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Artum posted:

Am I seriously being told that I must actively defend my assertion of how pathetic I was as a young teenager by the internet.

Welcome to the clawshrimpy thread.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because you're not doing anything to overcome it. You're latching on to the pain and suffering like it's a life preserver, which isn't healthy and something you should be taking up with a therapist.

Hiding is a temporary solution, it's something that's OK to do in the moment--like taking shelter from a tornado or an Earthquake--but when the trouble's past (and it seems like it's what, 5-10 years past?) it's safe to stop hiding and start picking up the pieces. Even if the first thing you do with them is reinforce your tornado shelter you're still making your life better.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

It's almost as though some of us are processing your entirely different life experiences through the lens of our own and making judgments you consider unfair or inaccurate.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

Are you happy with how you are now?

Namtab posted:

Watch Sailor Moon

You should definitely do this though.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
You should definitely watch Sailor Moon and just forget about this thread. imo. I think this thread is giving you bad advice, sincerely.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Stalin-Chan posted:

You should definitely watch Sailor Moon and just forget about this thread. imo. I think this thread is giving you bad advice, sincerely.

Not the lame remake though, the original.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Clawshrimpy posted:

No, absolutely not.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because you are saying that your experiences are absolutely right and it's everybody else's mindset that is absolutely wrong.

Also,

PoptartsNinja posted:

Because you're not doing anything to overcome it. You're latching on to the pain and suffering like it's a life preserver, which isn't healthy and something you should be taking up with a therapist.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Re: sailor moon, what the fucks up with the music? Early on its all cool funky poo poo and later on every transformation has the same "~sailor mooooooon~" bullshit.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

mikeycp posted:

No, absolutely not.

Because you are saying that your experiences are absolutely right and it's everybody else's mindset that is absolutely wrong.

I'm not trying to say that, I'm just saying that I disagree with the assertion people think about their situations apply to me as well, or that everyone who was ever bullied and abused needs to view it that way or they're wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Stalin-Chan posted:

I still want to at least ride this thread to the end of King Gainer to show my willingness to try. :3

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Clawshrimpy posted:

I'm not trying to say that, I'm just saying that I disagree with the assertion people think about their situations apply to me as well, or that everyone who was ever bullied and abused needs to view it that way or they're wrong.

Your posts, or at least the way you are wording them are suggesting that exact same thing you are saying you disagree with.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm just messing with you cause it just kind of came out of nowhere. No real problems here.

People were sharing bullying stories. :shrug:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clawshrimpy posted:

Nobody said either of those things.

What people are saying is that, x-years later you should start to let it go instead of keeping your life paralysed.

Other than scrambling to avoid losing $10 on the anime forum and endlessly rewatching a particular anim we don't mention, what do you do with your day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Artum posted:

Re: sailor moon, what the fucks up with the music? Early on its all cool funky poo poo and later on every transformation has the same "~sailor mooooooon~" bullshit.

I dunno man I think that was only for Sailor Moon's transformation? All I remember is that poo poo-gets-real theme that plays only once at the end of every season.

Clawshrimpy posted:

I still want to at least ride this thread to the end of King Gainer to show my willingness to try. :3

You can watch two animes at the same time. You don't even have to write your thoughts on Sailor Moon in here or anywhere, you can watch it just for yourself mate.

• Locked thread