Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Lostconfused posted:

What if I were to tell you that one of these shows appears in official licensed crossover media with GGG?

Err, do you mean besides Super Robot Wars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TARDISman posted:

I managed to pick up Brain Powerd a few years ago for 25 bucks, been meaning to watch it for the longest time. Maybe I'll do a Simulwatch if Shrimpy doesn't pick it.

I'll probably join you in that case. I'm very bad at actually watching the anime that slowly accumulates in my collection, so I'm in favor of some sort of simulwatch to act as a driver/schedule.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TARDISman posted:

Tomino has a strange sort of patter to some of his shows. Reconguista's a little like this, it's the sort of thing that makes you can really appreciate if you rewatch it.

Yeah, King Gainer and G-Reco (and to a lesser extent Brain Powerd) are interesting in that regard. There's definitely an order to things and some deliberate craft, but while you're watching it the show is less like a planned series of events more like a bunch of stuff just happening all in a row. King Gainer throws you in and expects you to catch on and keep up with what's going on.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

tsob posted:

Yea, I think it reveals another skill entirely it's own in the finale, but it definitely has a copy ability too. The overskills always made me think of Overmen as basically JRPG units honestly.

The overskill King Gainer uses in the finale is probably an advanced offshoot of the "Counteract" part of his wildcard Overskill.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

With some hindsight Gundam Wing is almost a prelude to late period Tomino where things just happen. And yeah, the entire cast is basically nuts but in a weird adaptive way. It's not wonderfully written but it's good fun.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Yosuke posted:

While Tomino doesn't write how people act very well in some shows, a lot of the actions he has them do are logical for the situation, but evil on the gauge he uses.

I've always felt Tomino has a somewhat Tin Ear for dialogue, but I also think he's a decent character writer. I'm not sure if it's the subs but there's some bits of Victory Gundam where people don't quite sound like real people even if they do generally act like real people. Actually now that I'm thinking of V Gundam I'm reminded of Katejina, now there's someone you could generally call "evil" beyond the pale unlike someone like Gain.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Except in Gain's case, of of these things clearly outweighs the other.

Not to me, and from the looks of this topic not to quite a lot of other people on the board. Shrimpy it's worth pointing out yet again that your perceptions of the world are not universal. When you say broad things like that people give you pushback because you're assuming as given things that are clear to you but which are not clear to anyone else.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Clawshrimpy posted:

No, it's the complete opposite! the bad outweighs the very small good things he does!

Once again Shrimpy, your perspective is not universal, your personal hang-ups are not the ideal standard of morality, and you really need to stop assuming otherwise. To me, tsob, AzraelNewtype, ZenMasterBullshit, Yosuke, Bad Seafood, and any number of other posters in this thread Gain is a good person by the algebra that the act of saving a man's life far outweighs the boxing match. Me and some or all of the above might even consider the Boxing Match to be a positive action, it was harsh but it was also necessary and brought about a positive result.

Yosuke posted:

The best way to explain is with the situations he gives you, the actions people will take make sense. His dialogue tends to be either lost in the nonsense of the action, or through the subs. Whether or not the way the character comes up good or not is subjective, but I don't doubt he's able to clearly make a bit of sense what he wants to convey.

I understand this perfectly. Like I said I think Tomino is a good character writer, and I think that even if some combination of subs or writing makes their dialogue bad he's still good at writing motivations and actions for human beings..

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bad Seafood posted:

If informing someone of options they didn't previously know they had constitutes twisting their arm, people twist my arm every day of my life.

More importantly Sarah said "We might have some", not "I know for sure we have some", and Gain's immediately response is "Get a coat from the back and don't fall off, we're rolling". Gain was immediately willing to drop everything on the off chance of saving someone.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Exxcept it doesn't maybe saving one person's life does not give you a moral free pass to otherwise be a bully or rear end in a top hat.

The problem Shrimpy is that I see Gain as neither a bully nor even an rear end in a top hat. You do, but many other people do not. Therein lies the problem.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Namtab posted:

I'm going to watch this anime.

You should, King Gainer is quite good and both Gain and Gainer are great protagonists.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Namtab posted:

:siren:This is why people are arguing with you on the internet, you're too quick to jump to the moral extreme and it's something you need to be aware of in your posting, which unlike real life you have the power to edit and think about before submitting.:siren:

a cartoon duck posted:

Are you currently seeing a therapist? 'cuz you have some serious issues to work through.

Namtab posted:

Clawshrimpy you've said you want to post better but do you mean it. Are you at least reading, understanding and reflecting upon what other people are posting?

You're almost certainly going to ignore this question but I feel it needs answering.

Do you actually want to change?

Artum posted:

Stop projecting your weird personal issues onto things for the love of god.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Clawshrimpy posted:

Sure, they might try to do the right thing, but most of the time their methods are highly morally questionable in the way they try to do the right thing.

Shrimpy, considering how back-to-front your conception of morality is I'd say that even if I had not seen Gurren Lagann already I would probably be doubting you. You have a proven track record of having arguments and opinions that really don't mesh with the reality of the shows you're discussing.

Again, step back and think: Why do you think that Simon and Kamina are morally questionable? I'm not asking you to justify or argue your position, I'm going back into the epistemology of your argument. Why did you decide to come to the conclusion that they are immoral? Not the examples that you bring up or the evidence you use to justify that assumption but the underlying thought process. Where did you start from and what path did you take to start interpreting the show in this way? And can you understand that you are nearly alone in this opinion? Why do you think your perception is so far askew from the perception of everyone else? What is the underlying reason that your vision of an anime about giant drill robots is so deeply divorced from everyone else's?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Clawshrimpy posted:

granted it again was my fault for bringing it up in the first place, which I apoligise for. Kamina and Simon are just an easy thing to reach for when it comes to talking about Gain's actions

Why? Why do you go to Kamina and Simon immediately as your standard for protagonists you reflexively hate? What do you see that's alike between late period Simon and Gain? How have two characters of markedly different temperament, personalities, and modus operandi become so interchangeable in your mind?

Also Shrimpy? You brought this up. You brought up Gurren Lagann, now run with it. Saying

Clawshrimpy posted:

I shouldn't even be discussing Gurren Lagann in this thread anyway, it's distracting from the show I'm actually watching for the challenge.

is a cop-out. Blaming yourself and begging off a topic of discussion has become a consistent pattern for you. You're running away. More importantly no, it's not a distraction from this challenge because it's right at the heart of things. Again what was the purpose of this thread? Beef was explicit:

Beef Waifu posted:

3. This thread is to help Shrimpy gain a better understanding of why we are frustrated with him and trying to help him get along with everyone or at least "Agree to disagree." Don't be a dick about it.

Your issues with Gurren Lagann tie directly into your bad posting habits. Your hang-up with Simon seems to be the exact same hang-up you have with Gain, and you desperately need to pull those issues out and address them if you really want to change your posting habits..

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Clawshrimpy posted:

Maybe the whole reason It makes me uncomfortable is I've been suicidal before and I know I would've reacted badly to being struck by someone.

Good! This is an important concession. From my perspective it's really obvious that when you see someone hit someone else, especially a person you've been projecting onto wholesale, it causes an immediate and incredibly violent gut reaction of searing, irrational hatred. This needs to stop. You really need to stop instantly and reflexively hating a person for hitting someone else. You need to stop projecting yourself wholesale into shows. You need to stop judging situations wholly by "What would happen if it was me".

Clawshrimpy posted:

Except for when there are shows that I do like that don't trigger me!

And those are how many? There's Digimon and the one show we can't talk about. Are you really okay with only being able to watch two shows ever? Shrimpy I've said it before but stop running away.

Also if seeing someone being hit really triggers you and you start to have suicidal impulses then seek immediate, intensive psychiatric help because that's a truly extreme reaction and if that's happening to you then you desperately need something more than self-medication via internet forums for that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Namtab posted:

We're 26 pages in.

Are you able to identify yet, in your own words, why your posting is bad?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Clawshrimpy posted:

I'm only not answering because I don't know the answer.

As has been explained several times now saying "I don't know how to answer this" is much better than remaining mute. If you say nothing it seems as though you are completely ignoring the question.

tsob has a good Follow up question

tsob posted:

I'd like to know if Clawshrimpy thinks out views hold any validity, whether we are entitled to hold them or if he thinks we are wrong and he just needs to make us see that for our own good? I suspect it's the latter frankly, which makes him no different from a bully himself really, since he wants to brainwash everyone to share his own toxic views. If it's the former, then why did he spend years trying to convince much the same people they were wrong about a pair of shows instead of just accepting they thought differently and moving on?

The fact that he can never acknowledge context or other people's opinions or methods in even a tv show would suggest it's definitely the former. I also wonder how spiteful Shrimpy is, and suspect he'd actually be rather violent if given the chance to give some consequence free revenge to some of the people who used to bully him.

Fake Edit:

Clawshrimpy posted:

The second episode

"How long are you going to keep running, Simon?"

That's an insult to you? Shrimpy do you know what the word insult means?

Real Edit:

Or the word "Passive-Aggressive"?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Clawshrimpy posted:

No it isn't because it completely invalidates anything I ever felt, or any opinion I held.

This is it, isn't it? This is the eye of the storm. Clawshrimpy's noted and extreme tendency towards a Manichean worldview made of absolute good and evil is again at the heart of all his problems because Shrimpy applies it even to thoughts and opinions. Shrimpy genuinely believes that there's an absolute good and evil in the world of preferences and opinions. The reasoning is now clear and the pattern is complete: Shrimpy is afraid of being wrong once because then he'll be forever wrong about everything ever. Shrimpy cannot concede or he will be wrong, wicked, evil, and incorrect about everything forever. The shows Shrimpy likes cannot have flaws for in the world of Clawshrimpy a thing is either either graded 100% across the board or 0% in everything, and if he were to like a show that is imperfect than he himself is also invalid and incorrect in every measure. All of his hang-ups arise from this diseased idea of perfection. Suddenly his passivity makes total sense, why put yourself on the spot or try? You might fail and if you fail you are forever wrong and bad and evil and wicked and invalid. In a world where the options are perfection or total damnation it's best to flee and hide and withdraw so no one can tell whether you're a perfect saint or absolute forever scum.

Clawshrimpy? You need to stop. You need to let go. As long as you feel you cannot afford to be wrong you will never improve. As long as you are convinced you must be perfect you will continue to be an awful. You are not perfect Clawshrimpy, not in a million years, and you need to own up to that. Let it go and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Clawshrimpy posted:

Look at the way things have been going in here, though, it feels like if I am in fact wrong, I'm wrong about all of it.

Yes Shrimpy, unfortunately you have been pretty consistently wrong so far. However, and this may blow your mind, you don't have to be. You can listen and you can change your mind. Just because you have been consistently wrong does not mean that you must always be wrong in every aspect, or that being wrong means you are universally wrong, or that you must now be relegated to being wrong forever. Indeed your fervant desire to never be wrong has lead you down a road to where you are always wrong. You don't have to always be wrong. You can choose to think about things differently. You can choose to be right.

Another important thing: Just because you refuse to admit you are wrong does not mean you are right. You have been pretty consistently wrong about Gain, and Simon, and Kamina, and Rossiu, and the meanings of words, and about what characters said and did, and many other things. Despite how you struggle mightily to not admit to being wrong you act in vain. You are wrong Clawshrimpy. This thread's purpose is to try and help you figure out how to be right.

• Locked thread