Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Thank you for posting this. I love lucha but man is CMLL the most inaccessible wrestling fed on the planet. AAA is as easy to follow as WWE with their YouTube channel but I cannot find any way to watch CMLL, not even their major shows. I'll try and check out that woo stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Not sure if this might be better for the general questions thread, but would anyone be willing to expand on differences between the Lucha style and the WWE style?

I've really only ever watched WWE, and I've always been kind of a casual fan, so my perspective is limited. I know about, and have noticed, the Lucha tendency for kind of light bumping and very "cooperative"-looking offense, but outside of that, is there more I should be thinking about as I watch?

Also, as someone who's really enjoyed LU, how would people say it differs from traditional Lucha and current WWE?

I guess I'm specifically thinking about ring-work, but if there's other stuff, I'd love to hear about it.

I think you described it yourself pretty well, more cooperative offense, aerial moves, shorter selling. Of course it varies even within lucha, if you watched some heavier guys like Chessman vs. Monster Clown or whoever then it would look pretty similar to a WWE paced match. Lucha has a much much heavier emphasis on tag, trio, and 4 man tag matches compared to WWE, and in lucha you don't have to tag out, if you just leave the ring or get thrown out of the ring your partner can come in. It makes for a much more frantic pace.

Burt Buckle fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 27, 2015

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Here are my luchador(a) masks. If you can name them all you get 20 lucha points.

Answer key:
Rey, Dr. Wagner, Fenix, Sexy Star, Sin Cara/Myzteziz/Mistico, Hijo Del Fantasma, Future UFC Champ CM Punk

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Burt Buckle fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 27, 2015

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

Ah, CM Punk. I remember the great series of matches he had with Atlantis in the 90s

I want a Juan Cena mask to go with that one.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Great White Hope posted:

Where did you get the Fenix and Sexy Star masks? I have a Rey one (except Red where your yellow is, I think) and I want more.

I get them from eBay. Rafael0666 and Mr. Mask Man are the shops I get masks from. I have a Blue Demon and Psychosis one on the way.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

Also in CMLL (and a lot of other non-AAA places) everything that isn't announced as a lightning match is usually 2/3 falls. Trios teams have a captain that is announced before the match, if you pin / submit him the fall is over, if not you need a second pin / submission on someone else to win the fall. That's why you often see falls end with multiple pins or submissions at once.

I know kayfabe is dead and all but the way CMLL has the multiple pins or submission happen at the same time seems unrealistic and lazy.

Yuriy posted:

I don't understand a lot but I loving love Psycho Clown

I also love Psycho Clown and his Triplemania match/build with El Texano Jr. last year was very fun.

Burt Buckle fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 2, 2015

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I'm pretty pumped that CMLL now posts their Monday shows on YouTube. Does that other site save the Friday streams in a library or is it a one time only viewing?

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Boco_T posted:

I don't think they get archived but thecubsfan posts them on Tuesdays https://www.youtube.com/user/thecubsfan

Thanks, I was never sure what shows he was posting videos from and it's difficult to navigate thecubsfan site without having results spoiled.

CMLL and AAA have to satisfy me until Dario Cueto finds a new temple. :(

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Is there some sort of backstory to Diamanté Azul being a Blue Demon ripoff? They have nearly identical masks and Blue Diamond is I assume a play on Blue Demon.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

You know what match I want to see? Mistico vs. Sin Cara vs. Myzteziz vs. New Sin Cara vs. Mistico II vs. Caristico.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

I hope more people don't leave AAA. I much prefer their style to CMLL.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Maybe with all the departures from AAA, the Lucha Underground stars can get more prominent roles. Fenix, Drago, Hijo Del Fantasma, and Pentagon Jr. make for better matches than Alberto, Rey, and Myzteziz anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

It looks like AAA will be taping a new syndicated show for English markets*.

* - It can't be seen in the US because of Lucha Underground.

It could never be as good as Lucha Underground anyways.