Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Isn't that epic rune a scripted drop, since you can normally only get them from warchiefs or captains that have been death threated? I'm almost certain I got the same one really early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It did pretty much look like an unremarkable Assassin's Creed clone until they started doing unscripted demos of the nemesis system a few months before release.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Little known fact: orcs are 5% kerosene by mass.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Neige posted:

Yeah, I gotta say that you really make this game look easy, downing 3 captains in the first five minutes and ranking up a 200 hit combo. I think the guy in the video just might have had a point about the combat system being too easy.
The other enemy types that appear later make the game much harder. One of them is difficult to distinguish from grunts at a glance and always counters your regular attacks. Another's attacks are uncounterable.

Lazyfire is also really good at the game. The window on double counters is very small and I almost never hit them successfully.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 28, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Huh? Dush has the highest promote % of all four in the results I see.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yes, and it gets much better than that if you can manage to turn him into a warchief.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I forgot how much more interesting low-power orcs are. It's boring near the end when everyone is immune to almost everything.

I want to see if you can keep Ushgol alive long enough to make warchief because I don't think I've ever seen a set of traits that bad. :lol:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Knives actually do a pretty decent amount of damage, probably not as much as a melee hit, but not too much less.

They also instakill if an orc is fleeing, which is sometimes fun.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Notice at about 18:50 you actually regained all your elfshot when you got an ability point. I too was confused when it looked like you got back like 8 from a single drain after that.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 21, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Rukdug's hat is pretty great. If we want to promote another guy make it him.

EDIT: Also with both deadly and quick shot if he gets a single attack on you you'll die (second chance) instantly, so fighting near him should be fun.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I just hope Dush and Ushgol are okay. :ohdear:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I wish I'd done more recruitment events, Pushkrimp's voice set for them is pretty great.

And his armor is pretty stylish these days.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Lazy Bear posted:

Now, having not played the game, I could be wildly off. But doesn't that run the risk of offing, say, Ushgol who we all love and want to see become the most cowardly Warchief?
I think they're safe as long as Lazyfire helps them through any event they were involved in on the board first.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

dscruffy1 posted:

Oh yeah, so you can see what this fucker looks like, I've still got an image I posted from the first time I couldn't figure out how to kill THE MOST INFURIATING MAN. This is after the burns and the head coming off.

That is probably the worst captain I've ever seen. All he's missing is the "skips last chance and kills you instantly" trait.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, no single captain is really that hard since the "super mode" skills exist and a captain can only have at most three of the four immunities.

Now if you're fighting two captains, each with a different vulnerability...

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If you catch an orc alone it's fun to pretend you're a sith lord and drain him from range until his head explodes.

It was my favorite way to replenish my elfshot when shadow striking my way from archer to archer across a stronghold. Non-stealth drain does make some noise but orcs aren't good at looking up so usually they wouldn't find me.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:43 on May 2, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The knives didn't oneshot those fleeing orcs at the start of the video because you need the second knife skill for that, which you didn't buy in the last video. :eng101:

I forgot about that when I mentioned it before. The knives are actually pretty useless without the second upgrade (and certain legendary runes), oops.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Gothsheep posted:

I don't think you need the second knife skill? I'm pretty sure I was doing it before I got that. Not positive, but I think I was. I think it didn't work because the orc had gotten startled by a fire going off next to him, and so the game didn't consider him 'running' when you threw it.
It's actually in the description of the second skill, you can see it in the last free roam video when he was looking at tier 3 skills.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah healing runes are generally the best runes. You can only take a few hits even from normal orcs, and there are several captain skills that let them do huge damage - you saw what Pushkrimp can do with one shot now.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think you should go say hi to Torz the next time you see him. I never got a Friendly in my game. :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
As far as I know you can't intentionally temp-kill an orc. Most kills are permanent regardless of how they happen.

It was widely believed after release that decapitation always stuck but evidently that wasn't true, the low rate of recovery in general just made it tough to disprove conclusively.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 14, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Iunnrais posted:

"The Hammer" seemed to be easier than some of the captains and warchiefs you've fought. If for no other reason that there weren't a lot of summoned orcs around to get in your way, and archers/hunters pegging you from a distance. The terrain for this fight also seemed to favor you (lots of open space to move around in, and you're faster then him). Looked like a MASSIVE difficulty plunge after the last couple story missions. Disappointing.

LoonShia posted:

Does The Hammer's difficulty scale at all? Are his weaknesses and abilities randomized from playthrough to playthrough?
When people say the point of the game is orc politics, they're not joking. Now you see why nobody ever praises the game for its boss fights. :v:

On the bright side, near the end of the game orc politics does play into the story missions in a couple of interesting ways.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 21, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I didn't have much trouble with the DLC and I'm nowhere near as good at the game as Lazyfire is. Just use AoE mark for crowds and the Ring for warchiefs and the boss. All the powerful stuff they removed was replaced by other powerful stuff. :shrug:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 22, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Looks like you finally found your nemesis. :buddy:

I love how Rukdug was such a huge problem in a normal fight but could be instant-killed with stealth. It's fun to gather intel and then easily kill a captain if you take the right approach, which is why it's such a shame high-level captains are usually immune to everything but combat finishers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Valiantman posted:

You're never going to spend that other ability point you've had stocked up for several episodes now, are you? :v:
Judging by last video he's saving that one for Shadow Mount.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Speedball posted:

The story missions in this game are awkwardly paced, I suspect, because at some point the budget of this game got slashed. I bet there's huge ideas they had for this game that wound up on the cutting-room floor.
That's a sucker's bet because it's true of just about every game ever made. :v: The original Deus Ex ended up roughly one third of its originally planned length, for example.

I suspect that the designers wanted to go whole hog with the nemesis system and dynamic/sandbox gameplay, but no publisher would fund a AAA action game without a linear story and boss fights. Or maybe they intended it this way and when it was time to make cuts they got away with dropping story missions instead of the nemesis system.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 13, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Watch the captain in the background display his sick pro wrestling skills: https://youtu.be/9GO7we2QSPU?t=1353 I somehow missed seeing a wrestling captain do any of their moves when I played.

I say we make him a warchief and have him challenge another warchief to a world championship title match. Talion will be the crooked referee who intervenes on his behalf if he starts losing.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 18, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Preferably one who's afraid of Graugs, just because I've never seen that fear triggered.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Dooky Dingo posted:

So, I don't know if this has been explained yet or not, but what happens if you own all the warchiefs and all the captains? Is there a limit?
If there isn't, I request that Lazyfire literally brand every last orc he comes across. ALL OF THEM.
They wanted an army, I brought them an ocean. :getin:
There's nothing stopping you, but it doesn't do anything special. You just have nobody interesting left to fight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Promote Maku to warchief. He's got a full set of invulnerabilities and even worse fears, like a Super Ushgol. :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The adventures of Talion, Gondor's Top Offensive Lineman are great.

It was really weird how your first charge on that captain at the docks took off a tiny bit of health and then the second took off 50%.

anilEhilated posted:

The shoulder charge is great but I don't think I ever managed to break a shield with it. It kills orcs dead, sure, but breaking shields? No.
It works eventually but without that rune and from short range it takes a lot of charges. I think it does more damage if you get more distance to sprint before hitting.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 3, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Mr Confetti posted:

Is it possible to get 2 warchiefs to each have half the captains as bodyguards and have them duke it out? Because that sounds fun to watch.
Unfortunately I don't think so. Since you would have to mark all the captains you want to make guards you couldn't make them fight each other.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think the flash -> burn combo only works with a certain legendary rune or very high combo score, since flash seems to benefit a lot from high combo. At 5 it barely stuns nearby orcs for its own animation, at 30 it has a huge area and lasts several seconds.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The cutoff seemed to be around 20. Below that wraith flash just staggers orcs instead of stunning them, so it doesn't count for wraith burn's instant kill.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Everyone should at least watch the last mission in 41. It has a pretty great ending.

A gap is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I didn't mind having an excuse to go shank some more orcs, although the sheer number of outcast missions is probably excessive.

On the DLC, unless you're totally sick of the game Bright Lord is pretty good. It switches up the mechanics significantly and has a much better final boss (an extremely low bar, granted) than the base game. I didn't buy the hunt one since reactions to it seemed lukewarm.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 15, 2015

• Locked thread