Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lazyfire posted:

I just really like the combat, to be honest. The fact that almost nothing in the game (save one sword legend mission) feels like a complete drag helped make me want to just gently caress around for hours on end.

The last two or three dagger legend missions auto-fail if someone so much as glances in your general direction, and since they're not main-story missions you can't auto-restart if you fail.

Cue about two hours of me doing 10 minutes of stealth, failing because the game decided not to recognize my stealth kill prompt, then spending 5 minutes evading captains and high alert strongholds to get back to the mission start.

Sindai posted:

Isn't that epic rune a scripted drop, since you can normally only get them from warchiefs or captains that have been death threated? I'm almost certain I got the same one really early.

That rune is guaranteed because it's super helpful and allows for doing hit and runs on captains inside garrisons.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Samovar posted:

What is meant by 'permanently' killing a captain?

Orcs can and will come back from the dead unless you decapitate them, immediately replace them, or pop their heads with wraithfire. Note that I haven't found a guaranteed way to do either of the head removers so it's kind of random.

What is cool though is they will come back bearing the scars of however they survived last time.

There was one guy in my game who had the tough to kill trait and the fast runner trait. By the time I finally killed him he had both sides of his face covered in leather bandages due to wraithscarring, and most of the rest of his body was covered in burns from the multiple times I set him on fire.

I think he was also missing an arm.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

syzpid posted:

I just picked up this game in the last week. One of my favorite things is that the Captains are out and about in the open world. I would be putzing around in the game, just killing random orcs. See some lone orc hanging out by the fire, jump on him, and then I'm shocked when he blocks it and throws me off. He was a captain I had no intel on. It's little things like that which make the game really fun.

There's a trait that captains can get that allows them to just randomly show up at any point in time when you're in combat and low on health.

I had three of them train in on me one after another while I was trying to take out a completely unrelated general halfway across the map.

It was pretty hilarious just due to the absurdity.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Baker does a pretty good job as Talion, all things considered. It wasn't until a line later in the game where he screams something that I was actually able to tell it was him.

Willingham and Baily are a lot more obvious with their voices but they're also in the game for a much shorter time frame.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doc Morbid posted:

Do NOT buy the PS3 version. The whole nemesis/ork politics system has been gutted, and the game runs like absolute poo poo. I'm talking 10-20 fps, with drops to even lower frame rates when there's things happening. Get a current gen console or half-decent PC (this apparently runs okay on any PC that was built in the last five years).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92WhvpMzkGY (some early mission spoilers in video if you care about that sort of thing)

I can't believe they even released that. Holy gently caress.

:psyduck:

I've been playing it on the PS4 and I'm constantly surprised at how good it looks. How is that even the same game?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And that's not even the best thing you can do with fires.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neruz posted:

No it explicitly means 'male' because the Witch King gets his poo poo kicked in by a woman.

It may be specifically male human, but probably extends to male elves, hobbits etc too.

Eowyn may have landed the killing blow but Merry cut his tendon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Polaron posted:

Wasn't his sword actually some ancient wraith-killing dagger from ages long past or something?

Yeah but if memory serves he had no idea that was the case. It was one of those "Here take this dagger you'll need it later wink wink nudge nudge" things.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Tom Bombadil gave them the blades and he had precognition bordering on plot device. The idea being he knew they'd all be fighting ring wraths so he gave them the barrow blades, but he knew Merry specifically would be fighting the WKoA and gave him the +5 Witch King slaying knife.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh god, you have a Dûsh?

Keep him alive as long as possible If you can game it so he survives the act 1 purge and lives to become a warchief that would be even better We need to hear those orcs chanting his name.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

divedivedive posted:

So wait, does the game produce the "DUSH" sound effect every time you focus on that captain? Because that's freakin' hilarious.

Every time you Right-stick focus on an Orc your elf-friend says his name in his ultra-serious baritone. If they become a warchief their entrance into battle will be accompanied by his followers chanting their name.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, the Ghul and Graug weaknesses are really annoying because you can't really exploit them except in very specific circumstances, or entirely by accident.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Another thing as long as we're talking voice actors. Gollum is voiced by Liam O'Brien, aka Asura, Grimoire Weiss, Vincent Law, Gaara, and Darksider's War.

He's playing a bit against type, for once.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Polaron posted:

No, don't, he looks awesome and I want to hear how he talks. Instead, he should be tempkilled every time we see him just to get him more and more messed up.
this

I hope he got the voiceset where he does nothing but Inhale through his nose and clack his teeth together while glaring at you intently.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

I actually thought of going and using different skins for the free roam stuff, but I can't remember how to get to that menu any more.

If it's like the PS4 version, you can only change costumes right before you start the game, on the Select Game Mode screen, the bottom option is "Change Skins"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Drakyn posted:

Of the three silmarils, Earendil took one into the sky and the other two were ganked by the last couple of Feanor's rear end in a top hat kids who'd done enough horrible things to get them that the gems literally burned their hands. One threw his silmaril into the ocean, the other chucked it and himself into a giant crack in the ground left over from the giant Morgoth-wreaking war that had just finished. One in the sky, one in the sea, one in the earth.

That's what happens when you swear a blood oath to kill anyone who gets between you and the gems, and then find that the gems have fallen into the hands of otherwise noble people who can't understand why you're so angry about a gem.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Neige posted:

^^^^^^ No you can't pinshot those invulnerable to ranged, and that can get pretty infuriating when you want to get the "scared" bonus but you can't catch up to finish them off.

Maybe you knew this already, but ranged vulnerabilities also includes shadow strike and the shadow kill option.

The flag is damaged, not instantly killed. You can use your spoiled thing to damage them but it won't one-shot them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Any orc that puts you into a last-chance also gets a power-chant as the wheel comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

26 is the highest level you can get in the main game.

the 2nd DLC boosts the max orc power up to level 25

• Locked thread