Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Finally started playing this game and holy poo poo I'm not used to fighting without a shield. After a few dumb early deaths I figured out how parrying works and normal enemies haven't been a huge issue since. Cleric Beast was lame and dealt surprisingly little damage so I was able to finish it on my first run despite taking hits left and right. Father Gascoigne however was a total rear end in a top hat and I died 5 times before I was able to take him out. Messages told me to use a "special item" on the boss but I was never able to figure it out.

Then I wandered through an old abandoned city, dodged gatling gun fire for awhile and climbed the tower the gunner was perched on. He murdered me in two seconds flat. :commissar:

Love this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh that can kill you? I got hit by whatever it was and was brought down to basically zero life (life bar was empty, but still alive). I honestly thought it was a "take you down to 1 HP" deal.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

drat, I'm struggling quite a bit with the bosses in this game. It wouldn't be so annoying if I didn't have to grind bullets and vials between runs. Really detracts from the flow of the game for me

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Focus on dodging as long as you can rather than healing. If you're spamming vials in a losing situation, you weren't going to win anyway because you don't yet understand the boss.

Yeah, I've got to use my vials more sparingly. I'll try to conserve more. The problem I'm having isn't so much that I'm using vials in a losing situation, it's that I get one-shot by the bosses from full life after I've brought the boss down to only a few hundred health. For example I was fighting Blood-Starved Beast, had full health and 4 vials and 5 blood bullets. The instant I moved into his field of vision he pounced on me, grabbed me and killed in a single hit, when all I needed was one more parry. I guess I should level up Vitality a bit more?

Tbh I'm more annoyed that I need to restock bullets, because you need those for parrying.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Where are you? I'm just up to Vicar Amelia and the area up before her drops so many that I stashed a full couple stacks.

I'm kinda split between Old Yharnam and Cathedral Ward at the moment. I fought Vicar Amelia a couple times (died when she was at like 200 health :argh:) and decided to go into Old Yharnam for a while instead. I guess I'll grind near Vicar Amelia for a while. The exp from the enemies there is better anyway.

Should I be hoarding Insight or spending it?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

Do you have a +6 weapon yet? If not, I'd highly recommend taking a left just before Amelia's door. Be wary of snipers.

Ah, so that's where I can get twin blood stone shards. I was not wary of snipers the first time I went there. Guess I'll give it another go, thanks!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Goddamn, just figured out that pressing R1 after side stepping automatically charges the enemy and attacks. Combat is so much more fluid now, holy poo poo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Wow the Witch of Hemwick is like the Pinwheel of Bloodborne.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Nightmare Frontier was a weird place. It felt more like a Demon's Souls level for some reason. Also Amygdala went down on my first try :toot:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

Not an easy fight by any stretch, so good job!

There's a decent amount of margin for error though, imagine if all his more powerful attacks could straight up one-shot you, that'd probably make things a lot more difficult :unsmigghh:

I'll be perfectly honest, I have no idea what most of the boss's attacks were. After the first minute of the fight went nowhere, I decided to just stay underneath him and whack away with Ludwig's Holy Blade's vertical slash. Somehow that worked, but I couldn't tell what the hell it was doing the entire time. Thankfully it landing on me wasn't an insta-kill because that happened like five times

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh hey cool I found the back entrance to Iosefka's Clinic let's go talk to the nice la- HOLY poo poo :stonk:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Snak posted:

The best part is that, since I don't know when you did this, I don't even know which thing you are Holy making GBS threads at.

Well, I went in there and was unsettled at how empty and abandoned it seemed. Then I found a blue alien thing at the door near the 1st floor sickroom and killed it. It dropped Iosekfa's blood, so my mind went "oh poo poo I guess she was actually E.T. and I killed her?". Also there was a letter addressed to me. No other enemies in the area, but I found a blue alien corpse in a dilapidated surgery room. Then I went upstairs and actually found Iosefka who turned out to be evil and creepy and violent. I killed her, but I have no loving clue what was going on in there. The whole time I had this creepy Silent Hill-like feeling. I run or jog through most areas, but in this enemy-free location, I whipped out my torch and walked really slowly.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

The ayy is (was) Iosefka, the aggressive NPC is an impostor who shows up after Gascoigne is killed. Their voices and personalities are markedly different.

So the clinic got hijacked by a lunatic shapeshifter who performed experiments on the nice doctor and turned her into a monster? That this all happened entirely offscreen and isn't directly stated makes this somehow even creepier. :gonk:

Mr Dog posted:

Also the rune that the impostor drops is really good. Make sure you send the prostitute to Cathedral Ward ASAP though, otherwise you'll lock yourself out of some optional content later.

I've been sending everyone I can to Cathedral Ward because it makes me think of the Nexus and I like having all the NPCs in a central hub like that. I've got the prostitute, the nun, and the old lady. I'm probably missing a few.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Fought Rom and killed him on my first try, but he killed me at exactly the same time.

PREY SLAUGHTERED

*obtains coldblood*

*obtains blood echoes*

YOU DIED

It took me like ten minutes to touch my bloodstain thanks to cutscenes warping me away

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mr Dog posted:

Fine work! No seriously that's one of the harder fights in the game going in blind and it gets really frantic at the end.

btw did you ever meet the lady with the crow outfit? I mean it's a bit late at this point if you didn't. What's your build?

I give full credit to the kind soul who left a message telling me the boss is weak to bolt. Finally had a chance to break out the Bolt Papers I'd been saving up. After realizing how stupidly strong the endlessly reviving spiderlings were I decided to leave them alone and settle for hit and run tactics. I'd run in, get in a few shots at the boss, then dodge roll the hell out of there before I got murdered. It was extremely hairy towards the end once the magic started getting thrown around, and my NPC summon died like a minute into the fight so he wasn't around to act as a decoy in the final stages.

Yeah I've bumped into the crow lady a few times. As I was running back through Cathedral Ward to grab my bloodstain I bumped into her, and she was not doing too well. I guess there was a boss in the cathedral or something, but I didn't bother to check because I needed my blood echoes back. I'm currently running through Yarglebargle the Unseen Village because Cainhurst's first enemies kicked my rear end hard, and the DLC hunters are a bit too beefy for me right now.

My first build in souls games is always strength dominant. I'm at level 60-something, Vitality at 33, Endurance at 30, and Strength at 25, shooting for 30 so I can wield that giant gently caress-off cannon. My weapons are the Hunter Axe +6 and Ludwig's Holy Blade +6.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

BELL RINGERS ARE BULLSHIT

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hahaha the hunter in the cathedral uses blood vials loving hell.

Well, I've got 30 strength, guess it's time to bust out the cannon when he gets low on health.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Digirat posted:

He only heals 1 time.

This is a good thing to know. I guess I'll continue my earlier strategy of "run away while he slowly kills himself".

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Why am I so bad at dodging the Cthulhu headed dude's paralysis attack I'm sick of letting it drink my brain :argh:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

My favorite area in this game so far is the Hypogean Gaol or whatever it's called. It made me recall the creepy atmosphere of Latria, which is something the Dark Souls games haven't done for me.

Favorite Dark Souls area is Sen's Fortress. I spent so many hours doing PvP in there with my Dragonslayer Greatbow

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Celestial Emissary was a freaking joke, and my smug sense of self-satisfaction got punished hard by what came after. I cannot for the life of me dodge the Daughter of the Cosmos's arms. The only easy thing to dodge for me is the arcane laser volleys, which is ironic because the people I summon get chumped by it instantly.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kewpuh posted:

i just bought a ps4 this weekend and ive been enjoying this game quite a bit but holy poo poo it's hard. and i'm pretty good at dark souls games so i dont really understand why i'm having so much trouble with this one

Unlike with the Souls games, you can't block for poo poo and slow combat is punished instead of rewarded. Here are a few things that helped me get accustomed to Bloodborne combat:

- When you take damage, the orange bar that represents lost health can be recovered by attacking enemies. Infighting is rewarded in this game, unlike Souls games where you should always retreat when you're getting hit.

- Shooting an enemy right as they're attacking will stagger them, and then you can press R1 right in front of the enemy to perform a visceral attack. Because you parry with a gun, you can parry from a distance. I prefer to use the Blunderbuss to parry because it's better at hitting moving targets.

- O + R1 is actually useful in Bloodborne. A lot of weapons have O + R1 attacks, where you sidestep and immediately advance on the enemy and attack (unlike in Souls where you'd have to press O to dodge roll, then manually close the distance to the enemy, then press R1 to attack).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I meant more that in Souls when you press attack during a dodge roll, the attack is made at the location you dodged to. In BB when you sidestep and attack, depending on the weapon your character can actually move and close the distance to your foe while swinging. It's like the backstep attack in Souls, only it applies to side and forward dodging too. It's a pretty significant difference imo

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Woohoo, Ebrietas is down! Shooting her face with a cannon worked wonders.

Then I went through Cainhurst and was confused at how easy the castle interior was. Also Logarias was a fun breather fight because he was so easy to parry.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Hmm, the Nightmare of Mensis isn't that bad so far, guess I'll head inside the building.

*walks inside, looks up*

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The workshop is on fire and the doll's dialogue is giving me serious "go here for the endgame" vibes so I started tackling the DLC. Snagged the Boom Hammer and got blown up in the process, but holy crap this weapon is cool. A bit slower than my axe, but it seems to be the ideal weapon for foes I can land a charge attack on.

The only Chalice dungeon I've tried so far is the Pthumeru Chalice. I figured I'd go try the Central Pthumeru Chalice but I'm lacking the Ritual Blood (2) required to do it. Seems I can't buy it either. The wiki implies that it's a drop in chalice dungeons. Do I seriously have to grind root chalices for materials?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Snak posted:

If you fully explore each non-root chalice, you will get all the materials you need to continue. You must have missed some in first chalice dungeon.

Oh thank god, guess I'll backtrack through and see what I missed.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I found the winter lanterns to be pretty easy to parry, thanks to their huge windup. It also helped that I had just barely enough HP to tank the grab and frenzy if I hosed up the timing.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh my god I love the Boom Hammer. Summoned Valtr and he was a great distraction while I smashed Ludwig in the face over and over.

Also got a gatling gun and the whirlgig saw and they're both so cool and I want to use everything and gently caress I'm out of blood shards

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah. I'm the guy who made it to my second playthrough without even understanding where it was coming from. My posts in the thread were like "wtf is this bullshit, I don't even understand!" And then people told me to look up, and I was running around pointing the camera into the sky trying to see what was causing it.

I am not a smart man.

I didn't figure out where the frenzy damage was coming from until after I killed Micolash. I noticed what areas were safe, looked in the direction where the damage was supposedly coming from, and finally noticed the stupid light. I felt pretty dumb because up until that point I thought the enemies I was fighting was inflicting frenzy somehow

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Holy crap the Whirlgig Saw has amazing rally potential. Finally I can pitch the Hunter's Axe for good!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

In Training posted:

vial and bullets would be perfect if you just got 20 every time you died.

This is how I thought the game worked for the first few hours. Then I hit Father Gascoigne and learned the cruel truth.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't lose my chalices when I start NG+ do I? I'm going through the Lower Pthumerian Chalice (wow four layers, gently caress you) and it's starting to get tedious. At this point I'm thinking I'll wrap up the DLC and finish the game, but if in NG+ I have to collect the chalices all over again and start from Depth 1 then I'll wait.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Holy poo poo the Orphan of Kos is an exhilarating boss fight. After my first couple attempts ended in failure, I gave up trying to parry him and decided to just two-hand the whirlgig saw the whole fight. After a couple more tries I could finish the first phase reliably without taking more than one or two hits, and then the second phase showed up and started pushing my poo poo in. After a couple more deaths I reminded myself to dodge forward and under the attacks and things went much better. My only complaint on the fight is the way the camera screws with you when Orphan jumps. The boss's attacks are too fast for me to turn the camera up to see what he's doing, so I just ran all over praying I didn't get ganked on the landing. Worked more often than not, thankfully.

All in all it took maybe 9 or 10 tries, and I was shaking for a while afterwards. So awesome

E: I loved the fishing hamlet, it reminded me of the mermaid island in Berserk. I also got devoured by a shark ogre, so that was interesting

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gammon posted:

Yeah there is no way I am playing BB (or any souls game, if I get one - is the Scholars version of DS2 worthwhile btw?) online. Having someone join to hunt me down - because Internet - sounds like it would truly wreck the game for me. Not at all interested in PvP.

drat no wonder the game's so frustrating for you. I've played for a while now and was only ever invaded once (and I died before the invader even reached me). The slight, slight risk of invasions is heavily outweighed by the massive benefit of messages left by other players. The clues and warnings left by other players goes a long way towards full exploration and making it through the game with fewer deaths. Just pop it on for an hour or so and see how it goes for you.

Another nice thing about playing online is that you can enter other players' games to help them fight bosses. When you're in someone else's game you keep your blood echoes even if you die, so it's a useful way to learn a boss's attack patterns with less risk to you.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gammon posted:

Wait...I get to see messages from other players, without the risk of being invaded? Do I get to continue with my same game or do I have to start over?

I don't have a PSN sub either, if that makes a difference - I literally got the PS4 a couple days ago because the wifi/BT module on my PS3 died and I took it as a sign to get with the times.

Unfortunately you need a PSN subscription for online play.

You technically risk being invaded playing online, but it's so remarkably infrequent (in BB) that I forget it's even possible. Having the rest of the game go smoother is worth risking getting invaded once every 30 hours or so

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I wrapped up the DLC and finally went to go finish the game. The Hunter battle kicked my rear end something fierce. I mean, I won on my first try, but I used all 20 blood vials and my saint blood item in order to do it. I was definitely missing something about how to approach that fight, because most of the time I was taking damage in the process of hitting him.

Then the Moon Presence fight started and somehow I managed to completely massacre it with zero healing items :psyduck:

NG+ started and I ran through Central Yharnam in about half an hour and took out Father Gascoigne without any fuss. I love NG+ in Souls games. It really shows you how your skills have progressed

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The vibe I'm getting from people is that the Depth 4 and 5 chalice dungeons are terrible, the bosses are terrible, and you shouldn't do more than is necessary unless you hate yourself. I think I'm only going to do the chalices needed for the Platinum trophy and skip everything else. All I have left are the Ailing Loran Chalice, which I need to run for the bastards of loran, the Defiled Chalice, which is scaring me due to the number of angry posts about it ITT, and whatever depth 5 Chalice comes after that. The end is in sight.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I tried using the pistol to parry and found that some enemies that thrash around were harder to hit, so I switched back to the blunderbuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Good morning, on the train today I was thinking about how in the past if I'm fighting a boss constantly chugging blood vials and barely squeak out a win with like <2 vials left I feel a hallow victory, like I didn't earn it. What do you think, fellas? Hope you all have a Great day.

Please consider my question only for new characters and NG+, not your first time through.

I felt like this when I beat the Hunter final boss. It was my first playthrough, but I was so used to the battle system by now (and I'd managed to take out Orphan of Kos with 10 vials to spare) that it was kind of embarrassing, and when I wound up winning after having spent all my healing items it just didn't feel like a win at all.

• Locked thread