Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Online pointless questions sorry!

Can one of my characters stumble across another one of my charcters messages?

If i see another players phantom can they also see me?

Could i share a save file with a buddy and then set a password and they load it up and I load it up and have like two gas coins beating up proper gas coin in ng+?

I have just been wondering about these things as I stand around making contact in amusing places for the other phantoms as an inspiration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

I got a really cute series of messages from a Japanese fellow who creamed me in PvP. Some of them were broken English complimenting me on my skills and encouraging me to keep playing, but most of them were just screenshots of their character making contact in various odd locations in the Nightmare Frontier. It was incredibly cute and really lifted my spirits.

That is my new hobby. Stand about making contact. Its fun to do in cleared boss arenas, high traffic narrow areas and around blind corners. I would swear that some players reflexively dodge or swipe at me if I can manifest in their game just so :)

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I like the little shudder and wince the mobs do when they see you get a nice VA in in a group.

Yep thats in your immediate future too buddy :D

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 23, 2016

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Jeez Lady Maria was a fun fight.
I ended up having to grind the middle loft a bit so i could use the quickstep thingy but ended up barely using it at all.

Her third phase looks way scarier than it is imo.
It was fun doing that with transformed whirligig. I tried the arm but found working at that sort of reach was asking for trouble. I think my skill guy with the BoM will have a much easier time with her.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

If you cant be bothered with the chalices there is always the middle loft with moon roons. Lotsa easyish echoes there.

E: run it backwards leading the shadows into the pigs if you get tired of doing all those viscerals :D

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Welp. 3 days and probably 60+ attempts later...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bea16SyW5cM

I mistook Defiled Amygdalas jumping dust for the blue smoke of victory. I hate this goddamn dungeon and I hate myself

Ouch! Same thing happened with Maria and I but it wasnt a three day battle. Her health was so low i could only see the white markers. I swung, thought I connected but no I whiffed her but had already gotten ready for victory. Some sort of horrible blood and fire thrust came along and skewered me.

Amygdala is really well named. It helps with your memory, decision making and emotional responses.
If it messes up everything will seem rational to you but you'll be acting like a BEAST.

The little diagram of where in your head they are may remind you of something too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I think if you enter Old Yarnham after beating Paarl and then climb his ladder you'll be fine.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Hey already did that. You only get one chance AFAIK. If he already made peace with Djura and then attacked somebody in Old Yharnam, you're hosed.

Correct. My bad.

I didnt parse on the eyes thing before you mentioned it. I was thinking the top down brain view was very similar to Amys head but the extra holes bugged me.

Now i see though! Eye holes lol. On the inside...lots of.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Plus he's the nicest guy in the game so you should be ashamed. Looks aren't everything man. :v:

I thought that about the dodgy woods guy. And sent him to safety 1st time around...yeah safe for him. Foods on the house make yourself at home.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Spermando posted:

There's a note in Byrgenwerth that says Rom hides all manner of rituals "certain to reveal nothing". Does that mean Rom makes certain nothing is revealed or does that mean that the rituals certainly reveal nothing?
English is not my first language.

It makes certain nothing is revealed as long as Rom is kicking around. When you take her out the veil shatters and all the weirdness can be seen.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Just a few more chalice dungeons to go. I fear for whats ahead but still...I'll get there. It'll be my first plat!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

I tricked a guy into triggering the Bloodletting Beast beggar in the woods today. It was hilarious.

Did you give him the league salute as he died?You know cos you're compassionate and all?

How did you do it?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That was hilarious. Waving at em out the windmill was even better in hindsight

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Mr E posted:

Holy poo poo Maria is an awesome fight, getting vibes of Allant.

EDIT: Any tips for the last phase? It's really hard to find a time to smack her with my MLGS or Boom Hammer.

Most of that crazy bloody fiery mess is mid to long range. Pretend she is first stage cleric beast for her final phase and never leave her arse. If you can see her face shes probably gonna whack you.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

and combat all round... phwoar. just phenomenal. really makes me want to do a no-shield run of DS2.

I got that same exact feeling and so i booted it up and....I found I now rely on sidestepping like i used to rely on shields and without it I am a pinata. The style change is kinda jarring.

The backstep works ok but....I really hope the sidestep is in DS3.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I should stop caring about them but I think I always will.
I'm pretty done levelling and have mountains of everything I regularly use but it still shits me to see several hundred thousand souls go up in smoke.

Although on that note the eye boars looks awesome when they have your echoes and are charging around.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Apoplexy posted:

So Blood-Starved Beast. I can't beat it. I got close with Alfred, but I got slowpoised and killed, now I am starting to run out of Insight with these repeated attempts failing, consuming an Insight on Alfred each. I read on one of the multiple wikis that you can summon a party of two other players in addition to Alfred, where the gently caress do I do that from? I sat in front of the cathedral entrance fog gate for 5 minutes ringing my bell and nothing. Any advice?

You can dodge forward and to your right which should move you under his swipes painlessly and give you a nice view of his hairy arse. I use lock on for him for the sidestepping but a lot of people don't.

If you can dodge his hits the poison alone wont do too much. Just remember to heal.
Fire is good. Serrated weapons too.

Edit: Also calm down. Stay calm. He was a roadblock for me and I put the game down for a bit. I just wanted to kill him so much that my own desperation was a bigger enemy than he ever was.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 23, 2016

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Queelaag and her sis. That was a bummer especially if you put that ring on so you can hear her.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Life would be so much easier if you could snipe Amelia with the bowblade before she transformed

Yeah but this isn't Demons Souls happily enough :D

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Other than a lack of notes and ghosts the npc's should do alright if you lean that way.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Going back to early areas once you've gotten a bit gud with some new tricks is extremely goddam satisfying imo

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Been playing DS3. About 70% through i think.
Was never so happy to hear "Good. All signed and sealed. Now let's begin the transfusion" on the start of another run.

Evidence is in for me and the real dark souls start in Yarnham.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

DS2 was pretty meh for me. I mean it stands proud above other non-souls games but its the only one in the group I can't see myself going back to.

But it DID let me ratbro in horrible deathtraps of doom and if I go back it'll be to a mid range toon to ratbro around with. Maybe a bellbro...hmmm

Ds2 had cool covenants. I don't think many would disagree there.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Everything in every Soulsborne game must die at some point. No mercy for any boss or NPC.

Truth

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Whats floated peoples boats once done with Bloodborne?

It was my first and only plat and now that I'm well and truly done with it, and the only thing left on the horizon is the Dark Souls 3 DLC just wondering if anyone else is really struggling to scrape up that vidja game hit these Soulsborne things give you. It seems bleak out there now!

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

HaB posted:

Have you played the other Souls games? They are pretty much all worth playing if you have the means. If you only have a PS4, DS2/SotFS is available. DS1 can be had on a PC. Demon's is PS3 only.

I didn't like Nioh. It's trying to be a Samurai soulslike, which is a great idea, but the combat just wasn't a tight and good feeling as Souls, to me. So YMMV.

Yes got all the others into at least NG+.

I played the Nioh demo and was meh about it. Came away with the same feeling from Salt and Sanctuary. They both try for a little part of the thing and kinda hit it but now that I've been to the smorgasbord the entrée just isn't enough on its own.

Edit: dont want a Souls clone. But these games are so good, and so satisfying on a level that makes a lot of other games just not worth it.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 9, 2016

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Better to have loved and lost. I felt the same way after Red Dead Redemption.

Something will come along eventually but man...these Souls are the good poo poo.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

The part where there are blood chunks are sweet

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

HaB posted:

Only outside. They appear in Chalice Dungeons IF you kill something with a visceral attack and come back later. Which is a pretty good way to get you to NOT rely on viscerals so much in Chalices.

Oh....OH!
That's where all those fuckers were coming from!

I was in that chalice daze you can get into and put their appearances down to being blood addled IRL and thinking I must have just evaded them previously.

lol this game owns

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Probably those bare chested longhaired guys that blur in and out.

I'm playing this again after burning out getting plat months ago and I know its been said a billion times but Gascoigne is great. Experience with this fight can actively gently caress you up. He got me into full tilt mode just now.

He should have a defiled chalice version it'd make hotdog and amy look like chumps

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Even after fighting all of the dlc bosses, 999x chalices, defiled bullshit...Papa G is still a goddam coin flip

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I tell them to Shhhh, easy there, just have a nap

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I didn't do a mercy blades run until the 2nd or 3rd time through and yeah...took me a bit getting used to the proximity. Those blades are intimate.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Goddam those boom hammers smack the poo poo out of me but put one in my hands and I may as well be waving flowers instead. Same with the beast cutters.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

the chalices are insight mines...60 per blood rock is pretty well balanced when you can easily get 60 chalice diving even just repeating the shallow ones

e: by shallow i mean 3-4 depth

edit edit: kill stuff get buff

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Aug 19, 2016

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

On that...are the lost and uncanny versions of weapons appreciably different or is it just gem slots and a couple points here and there?

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yeah they sound cool and I always feel lIke I'm missing something when I don't buy em tho

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

...! posted:

Looks like the brick wall known as Cursed Amy is going to cause me to put this game down for awhile. Getting one-shotted even at 50 VIT is unfair and unfun.

I had to really back off and go slow for that. It felt like forever just baiting that big head flop so I could run up and get some big hits on her. And even then her jump, if close to a wall, felt like a coinflip everytime.

There are ranged options apparently but I've only ever done it on STR or SKL builds ànd probably won't bother ever again.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Astrochicken posted:

I've had a few "axe only" runs where at a certain point in the game I decide to invest in another weapon.. I just need a weapon that hits harder and faster.

My latest run I went back to basics with the plain old ax. Doing the ax on a strength build until you can get the beast claws and then upgrading the gently caress out of those makes for a very sweet endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

That seems solid

ya fuckin nerd :D

Anyone else notice the cluster of horror zombabies around those big gold gates in upper cathedral ward that are all staring transfixed at the clock tower? That was a nice bit of foreshadowing I thought.

• Locked thread