Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I got today a PS4 with Bloodborne GOTY edition so I'm starting this. I'm a fan of souls games and for some time I thought that I'd never get a console just for one game, I finally did. I spoiled myself because of some speedruns I watched on twitch but I'm going almost blind in. Wish me luck and I guess that the saw cleaver is good enough for a first run.

Is it normal that I'm nervous even after three souls games and more than a thousand hours on them? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I think DS3 teach me on the faster gameplay. After a good bunch of deaths to trash enemies while adjusting to BB's combat (and having triangle as the healing button), got to Paul Gascoigne's graveyard and killed him in the first try but not without using 13 blood vials in the process. Got a +1 saw cleaver and +1 hunter's axe after fisting a huge pig (reminds me of certain DS1 encounter).

I have to say that I like the hunter's axe more than the saw cleaver because it feels closer to DS3 with a big STR weapon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

As I'll spent like 80% of my ps4 playtime on bloodborne (well I HAD to buy DS2 for 14.99€ because impulse purchases), my psn is Guillermus_ if anyone ever wants to do some co-op

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If I'm going for a Vit/End/STR char, should I bother upgrading any ranged weapon if I only use it for ripostes? Right now I'm going 2 handed with the Hunter's axe but sometimes I just use the gun for riposting some slow swinging enemies.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm loving both the hunter's axe and saw cleaver and really want to try the kirkhammer, is it any good?

Another question is if later in the game (just killed the machinegun guy in Old Yharnam and explored the chapel after it), will I be able to buy upgrade materials infinitely later on? I'd love to level a 3rd weapon to keep trying new stuff.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks for the replies.

I own the DLC. But I guess that for a STR char I'm set with the saw cleaver and axe. Is the pizza cutter a STR weapon? I've seen it on videos and looks amazing.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Pizza Cutter is the best STR weapon.

Oh well, I know what weapon I'll max out when I have the chance :woop:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Just beat the blood starved beast. Old Yharnam was such a drat cool place to be honest, now I have the Pthumeru Chalice wich I guess is for end-game farming. Can I do chalices at this point just for the blood echoes if I want to buy stuff or will I get my rear end handed. At the moment I'm lvl30 with 30/13/13 VIT/END/STR.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes i did! I was saying to myself that it was taking to long to find a lamp or a shortcut to one and was taking it reaaaaaly slowly looking around and was about to go to the door to see if I could open it. God damnit, it's the best jump scare in a long time. I almost dropped the controller :ohdear:

So far the game has been amazing. I love the gameplay, the design and the world feels really connected like in DS1. I got lost quite a few times and then unlocked a shortcut and was pleased of how rewarding is to explore this.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So I think I overleveled a bit by farming twin stone blood shards on Hypogean Gaol (after dying to one of these tall dudes I got sent there and killed a boss). So now I cleared Hemwick Charnel Lane after killing Vicar Amelia and I'm on my way to the door that needed a password. I'm level 73 (35/25/37/12 on Vit/End/Str/SKL) and got the Saw Cleaver, Hunter's Axe and Ludwig's holy blade all at +6.

Yes, I did grind quite a bit for the twin shards required to get three weapons to +6 since I had the Hunter's Axe already there. I always grind more on my first char on my very first playthrough on a souls game because I want to try different stuff :unsmith:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Quick question before I gently caress up a quest, will joining the vileblood covenant, gently caress up with the last part of Alfred's quest? Or can I join to get access to the items then send Alfred there to kill the NPC?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's cool thanks! Even if the armor set is drat expensive, I'll get the echoes just for the sake of the fashion souls.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So I beat the One Reborn and cleared Upper Cathedral Ward and I have to say that gently caress brainsuckers and their grab attack. Also gently caress going blind without knowing where are the chime maidens. I died more while exploring in Yahar'gul because enemies respawned behind me than on the boss fight. But seriously, brainsuckers you can keep staggering them and they will enter the grab animation while stunned and get you mid-swing because gently caress you.

I'm just on the lamp of Nightmare Mensis and I have to say that it is so far an amazing experience. The game is so atmospheric, the growls, childs crying, how satisfying sounds visceral attacks... Just wonderful. I still have the whole DLC pending after Mensis and before beating NG and is my top Souls game, or well, Soulsborne. Map design is right spot on, much more closer to DS1 than DS3 and 2 and that's nice since after all four games, DS1 world design was the thing that I liked the most from it. Coming from DS3 with no poise but hyperarmor sure helped getting the hang of combat faster than if I played this after 1 or 2.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I reserved 16 chunks and the stone from Mensis for the whirligig. I spoiled myself a bit and did a suicide run from the starting lamp to it and got it to +10. Then went back to Mensis and did the last part and killed wet nurse with it and holy gently caress this weapon kicks rear end so much.

Any other DLC weapon that I should level up for a mainly STR char? I'm 46/13 STR/SKL right now and this thing hits like a truck (527 listed with all the gems I could use on it). Beast cutter seems like a treaded cane but for STR and looks cool.

I leveled to +9 Ludwig's Holy Blade wich was fun and I know is more of a quality weapon but the charged R2 trust did great for me and when I needed some CC hunter's axe +6 kept poo poo at bay but with the pizza cutter I'm gonna need something that has better reach. If I can get another +10 I rather not get Ludwig's in NG as I want something that isn't a Dark Souls greatsword.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

loving walking brains, they're drat creepy.

Also, just found this gatlin guy beating moon presence and was drat impressive. Sure the gun may be a gimmick one but looks drat fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnv9aMjar5I

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The pizza cutter is nice but sometimes lacks the knockback of the Hunter's axe charged R2 (also the charged R2 on pizza cutter is painfully long) that's why I have a +9 ludwig's since the charged R2 trust is faster.

My options are:

-Saw Cleaver: Fast serrated weapon but with log stagger and reach. Transformed makes it slow and not so good. I have it at +7 right now.

-Hunter Axe: Great moveset and reach while transformed but mediocre when 1 handed compared to the mace part of pizza cutter (+6 atm).

-Beast cutter: Decent mace one handed and cool whip transformed but I have no experience with it and don't want to spend all my materials on it.

-Holy Moonlight Sword: As much as it looks good, I prefer to just keep Ludwig's as "boring greatsword" on my inventory, maybe if I grind a lot I'll make it +9 but not now.

-Amygdalan Arm: I don't know what the hell is this but looks drat cool and offers me what the pizza cutter doesn't, some crowd control against lesser enemies (like the beast cutter). Good scaling and normal R1 seems to stagger everything.

-Kirkhammer: I used it quite a bit (+6) but sometimes I get hit because it's painfully slow when I need to smash something.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

On this char I'm upping arcane to 15 to use some hunter tools. It's a pure 50Str build with just 13 skill to use weapons.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Zombie Guy posted:

How far from the start of the DLC is the whirligig? I know I'm way underleveled to make much progress there, but if I can get to it without too much trouble, I might make a few attempts to grab it.

You can do a fast run for it from the starting lamp (and you even get to a 2nd lamp) in less than 5 minutes if you do it right. If you want to spoil yourself, here's the video.

Not gonna lie, I died the first time even after watching the video because of bad timing but is well worth it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Digirat posted:

The beast cutter and arm will both offer you nice sweeping CC. The arm will scale better with all your strength and probably work best.

Got the arm at +9 and only have Fishing Hamlet left on the DLC and Gherman/Moon Presence left so I did a few chalices and I'm loving Amy's arm. It hits really hard and has a better CC than the pizza cutter. The combo from transformed R1 -> L1 pancakes wich is fantastic and fast to pull if someone gets too close. Gonna spend the rock from fishing hamlet if I find it on the arm for sure!

Is there any place where I can farm chunks (without spending insight) so I can get another weapon to +9 before going to NG+?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So far the boss that teach me the hard way to dodge towards the attack was Lady Maria. She forced me to play extra agressive and for the first time with my weapon not transformed and fishing for parries. God drat I bet the Orphan of Kos is gonna beat me to a pulp but for him I'm gonna use amy's arm instead of the pizza cutter for the extra reach.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like the game's music and I love to not have it when I'm not fighting a boss because the atmosphere is amazing. While it has less enviroment variety than DS games, that is sometimes an advantage because I can't really say that some places are half-baked compared to let's say loads of zones in DS2 or lost izalith, the great hollow... etc.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Brainsucker is the hardest boss in this game

gently caress brainsuckers seriously. They're the hardest enemy for me so far.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Lords of the fallen, where everyone has no neck and is loving mister Olympia. I still like the weapon and armor design.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

skasion posted:

Parry a bit earlier from a bit further off. In this game you want to do most of your parrying from a quickstep away.

Yeah, the best way for me is to stay a bit away, stand still, L2 then forward+circle then R1. With enemies with big weapons sometimes if I parry a bit late I still get smashed but for the most that have normal reach, it's really safe to just keep some distance unlike in souls games where being close helps with the parry hitbox.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I didn't have problems with BSB because I used pungent blood cocktails with it aiming for a corner and just spammed R1 hits until the effect wear off, throw another and keep doing it until its dead.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So yeah, I love this game but Fishing hamlet is one of my most hated zones in all souls games. Also Orphan is kicking my rear end so much with the god drat attack delays, I can't parry for poo poo this boss.

Let's hope I don't give up because I'm at 20 tries already and only seen phase 2 like three times.

Edit: gently caress YES! after 25 tries I went all gently caress it about parrying and got him by pure 2-handing the pizza cutter and two vials left. Holy poo poo I'm shaking right now.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 1, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Zombie Guy posted:

I've convinced a couple folks to come to the safety of Odeon chapel. One is a nun (I think) and one is a prostitute. Both have offered me blood transfusions. What should I do with this?

My advice is to not take the blood of the prostitute when both NPCs are at the chapel. You can take the nun's one and use it as a better blood vial.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Smol posted:

Recommend me a pair of weapons for a STR run.

Whirligig saw (but you need to do a long run into the DLC), Amygdala's arm (DLC too), not a pure STR weapon and you can get it within 1 minute into the DLC is the beast cutter and then Hunter's Axe or the Kirkhammer but I find it too drat slow compared to the rest.

I +10'ed the Pizza Cutter and beast cutter for the range then left at +9 Amy's arm and I basically covered all my needs. The only thing I miss on them is the extremely good charged R2 from the transformed hunter's axe. That loving spin is amazing and the halberd moveset owns.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well that's loving nuts. I just beat Gehrman and moon presence and both were waaaaaaay easier than OoK. One shot Gehrman but left me with a bunch of vials for the latter wich went down at the 2nd try. The pizza cutter made both encounters trivial (and well, 50STR with good gems and the rally caryl rune).

I decided to jump traight to NG+ to check how harder the game becomes and it's crazy since all three souls games, fully geared and with a decent soul level, doesn't offer much challenge on the first part. On this game, jumping to NG+ and taking a bad step is a death like when you start. Maybe a little too much and makes me wonder if some bosses will just one shot you. At the other hand I started a new character to try a skill build with the cane and is drat fun so far. Compared to my first playthrough, I rushed to get the cane +1 and beat the poo poo out of the cleric beast.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

^^^^Oh, I do have 50 vitality but yeah, some dudes take three hits from a +10 beast cutter and they're the starting dudes. I guess that not everything is buffed 80% right? Otherwise some enemies will be way too spongey.

Don't even try looking for a co-op partner for Orphan. The boss will recieve an HP buff and they suck. On my OoK kill, I did summon a player to help me and he just did 400 damage or so before dying, leaving me with a buffed boss. That made the kill even more satisfying.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 3, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For sure the Whirligig Saw was the solution, two handing it and landing R2 hits stopped orphan right on track most of the time and dealt enough damage to just hit, dodge dodge dodge and hit again. I wonder how hard will be when my skill character reaches that point...

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So for my skill character, I started with the cane but It didn't please me as the hunter axe did on my previous char (str), what's a good early weapon to use? I read that the cane only gets really good at late upgraded levels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love this game. I beat it and now you guys are talking about beasthood and beast pellets wich I never used. Now that caryll rune makes sense. Now I have to spoil myself about it.

Also thanks about the skill weapon suggestions. I'll get the saw spear and keep upgrading the cane.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The stake driver looks like their BB attempt to make a bone fist or demon fist but to me it lacks something cool that makes the gimmick worth it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Well that worked for me, I didn't dare to attack the doll or Gehrman just in case.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

as far as I can remember, she's weak to blunt damage (in addition to bolt), so you probably weren't doing yourself any favours by switching to the axe.

But the axe shows that it does blunt damage, is it only for transformed?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For Rom I used the Whirligig and bolt paper. Running R2s just melted the hp bar down. I almost 1 shot spiders with a running R2 when I needed to make more room.

I used bolt and fire paper on most boss fights and just looked if it was worth it. On Orphan I stopped using them because it wasn't any better and I was sweating enough to dodge and not getting killed to add another action.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sooo, I just killed BSB and Vicar Amelia with the saw spear. I like it as it's a saw cleaver for SKL builds and I'm wondering if I should just get the beasthunter saif from the DLC doing a suicide run and upgrade it instead. Is it better for pure SKL builds than the saw spear? My plan on two +10 weapons will be the cane and the saif or saw spear depending on wich one is better overall.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Suicide run it is then! I just unlocked both Hypogean Gaol and lecture building 1st floor so I can farm some echoes and get it to +6 like my saw spear. I don't mind the serrated bonus as I'll have the cane with it when transformed.

I can do another suicide run for the beast cutter so I can cheese amygdala while I'm at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thanks to the goons suggesting the Saif for a SKL build. That thing is nuts and when I tried the charged R2 that pancakes on BOTH forms I fell in love. It even has decent crowd control while non transformed with the horizontal swings and when transformed is a drat nice weapon with an amazing starting R1 with the small step forward.

Really nice weapon that you can get as soon as vicar amelia is down. Using the saif/cane combo and loving both so far but the cane sometimes lacks oomph and lots of enemies don't stagger with it unless you spam R2.

• Locked thread