Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I've been in the DS1 and 2 threads for a while but for some reason hadn't popped in here. I finished the main game a couple months ago, and now I'm playing through again while doing co-op with a friend who hasn't sunk quite as much time into Soulsborne games as I have. I also didn't find the Old Hunters part in my first playthrough so I've been hacking at that every so often. I finally made it to (dunno what spoiler policy here is like so here goes) Ludwig the Accursed, which is on a trajectory to be my favorite boss in all of the games so far. The music is so loving good, I love the blood-soaked arena, and his moveset is really intense to play against. I'm so sure there's a second phase, but last attempt ended at juuuuust over half of his health so I probably just barely missed out on it. That sword on his back has just GOTTA get drawn. Speaking of which, this run is using Ludwig's Holy Blade, so that's a fun lore-related twist to the fight for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Holy gently caress, I just got to the second stage of Ludwig while co-oping with a friend. That is definitely my favorite boss fight in the series so far. It's intense, the music and transition are breathtaking, and I love the story implications. Can't wait to do the fight again solo!!!

E: I can't get over it, "Ah, you were by my side all along... my true mentor, my guiding moonlight." :black101: :eyepop:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Boogalo posted:

About 20 tries into Pthu Descendant I was getting nowhere close and usually dying immediately when phase 2 started. Tried a few bouts of parrying but I've always been bad at that. Had a nice bit of patience, a fun brawl and beat him. It always seems that when I finally stop sitting back and trying to be cute I get key dodges in that let me get behind him. His sword throw always hosed me up though. His tracking is silly sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85p-p0BIxE

After 10 or so tries on his friend one floor down again I was getting absolutely nowhere due to how aggressive this guy is. Switched modes to super bumrush gently caress you and got him down in 2 more tries. The kill looking actually pretty solid. You really fight the camera more than the boss in this one. I don't know why I didn't just shoot him for the last hit. Revenge probably.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=202p-Jg-3_s

Dodging on instinct seems to help me a lot more than thinking too much about it.

Nice! I just got the Bloodletting Beast in the Lower Pthumerian chalice and he is indeed crazy aggressive. I came in thinking it'd be Cleric Beast Part 2, but he's a very different fight. Either bum-rush mode or being SUPER SUPER careful and just getting hits in the obvious openings seem to be the ways to go, but the second is boring :D

Speaking of Cleric Beast Part 2, I'm curious to fight (DLC) the fiery Cleric Beast-lookin dude in the Nightmare Grand Cathedral. I mean he wasn't hostile when I first went in but if that ain't a future boss then I don't know what is!

E: also, I wanna fight (deep chalice stuff I spoiled for myself) Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen, but good lord it seems like a loving chore just to gather the materials to create the necessary chalice dungeon.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 9, 2017

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Not a big spoiler but the thread's tittle is on his honor.

Ahahaha awesome, I'm very curious

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sleekly posted:

Yup. Nice bit of meta is how after a couple of run throughs I started to feel like a hunter. Not prey. I relish it. I'm blood drunk. Absolutely savage taking any advantage I can eke out and 100% dialled into the game.

That sounds silly and overwrought but I think its part of what the game is going for and absolutely nails. You go from weak meek vial farmer to the scariest thing in the game and it feels that way.
Especially during chalice dives.

Oh totally. The degree to which you can get immersed in the combat is amazing.

I still do little beats in my head when I learn dodge timings, though. That's just something that's ingrained in me from having played music for many years, so it still feels instinctive and not a calculation.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

JBP posted:

gently caress the god damned mensis brain thing. This is my face when I pulled that lever this time

First priority in that area is dropping that fucker ASAP. The thing is such a pain in the dick

Oh also I beat Maria last night. Super fun and quite difficult fight! The first phase is a breeze unless I'm not paying attention and just get wrecked right away, but the other two phases ramp it up so hard. I didn't want to parry at first because it seemed like easy mode, but I got rid of any sort of principled obligation to a "fair" fight after like the 10th attempt. PARRY LYFE

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Aug 10, 2017

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Phase 2 and 3 she gains so much range that's it's not very practical to go for parries anyway, getting in her face and dodging through her AOEs is more efficient. :)

Yeah that's what I learned, though I did get a sweet parry in during phase 3! I partied to get her down quickly in a non-risky way (because I can parry normal weapon attack extremely reliably), then did exactly what you describe above

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Dark Souls 2 is the worst in the series

I'm kinda coming around on this point of view but "worst" is hardly an insult considering the level of quality, so...

And Tyler Too! posted:

and you won't miss anything by skipping it.

...this is totally incorrect. DS2 is just a great game in a series of incredible games.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

So is every boss just laughably easy to drop? I just mopped the floor with Blood-Starved Beast on my first attempt because of just how telegraphed its moves are. I struggled more with machine gun dude but I guess that had something to do with the fact that he can use viscerals on you too (he was kind enough to fall off the tower for me).

BSB ain't bad. There are definitely hard bosses in the game, though. And yeah, Djura is extremely accommodating with hopping off the tower, though that makes it annoying if you want to actually kill him in a fair fight

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

For vermin, just co-op with a friend forever. I've gotten several vermin doing that; you know you'll find someone to play with and if they're decent then you also gave good chances of reliably killing the boss.

JBP posted:

I can beat orphan though and I want to kill myself.

Speaking of, my friend (hey spaceships!) and I just got to Orphan and he seems alright when co-oping but I can tell he's gonna be loving brutal when I try him solo.

Oh also, we both found Laurence's Skull, so giving him a visit is also on the itinerary. You can still fight him after killing Orphan (who I assume is the last boss of the DLC), right?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Yeah, realizing that you really gotta buy vials/bullets (especially vials, but it depends on your playstyle) rather than purely relying on drops/farming makes the system way better. At this point I always have at least 50 vials floating in storage and make sure to replenish them every so often whether or not the number is dipping.

I just picked up the rifle spear for a bloodtingey run I started recently. The weapon is pretty cool - I like the range a lot, particularly the insane transformed R2 charge - but I feel like the lack of attack variety is weak against certain enemies (dodge-happy NPCs in particular), so I really wanna get another dexy/tingey weapon as an alternate. Reiterpallasch? I've never used it but it seems right up that particular alley.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I never really liked the "git gud" mentality. Sure, at a certain point it's gonna be your skill holding you back rather than the blood vial system or whatever, but telling the guy that he sucks at the game isn't gonna help him have fun

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

JBP posted:

I personally think that everyone needs to suffer Mensis for a while so you can really experience the joy of switching that motherfucking light off for good.

This is a good take. Hitting that lever is that most satisfying fuckin' thing in a game full of satisfying victories following difficulty and frustration.

Sleekly posted:

I always just took it as a friendly 'dont quit'
You fail and fail and fail and then you win and then it seems so easy and you 'got gud' congrats.

Like reducing a terrifying roadblock boss to a series of tells and counterattacks is a much longer way to say 'git gud' and no matter how many walkthroughs you read or videos you watch you can't learn this dodge now without practise

Fake edit: delivery counts i guess

That's totally fair, but I would focus on your edit ;) it's like when someone recommends you new music based on your tastes, but instead of saying "hey try this, seems like you'd like it!" they say "oh gently caress that garbage band, listen to this one instead"

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sleekly posted:

Yep. A scrub is the OoK, not the poor hunters trying to survive it

That's an extremely poorly-behaved infant imo

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sleekly posted:

'its timeout for you!'
*nightmare resets*
'its timeout for you!'
*nightmare resets*

I actually asked earlier but I think it got missed: can you still play in the Nightmare after killing Orphan? I'm at him now but I haven't visited Laurence after finding his Skull, so I was wondering if I should make sure to do that before possibly ending the DLC for this run.

JBP posted:

I was clearly joking by saying get good after describing how I like to spend whole levels worth of echoes on vials. Sometimes I buy bulk packs of fifty!

Ah gotcha, sorry I missed that! But yeah I do the same thing. I usually chill out when I have around 100 in storage, though.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah killing Orphan doesn't stop you from accessing anything.

Yaaaaaay okay then I'm gonna kill that motherfucker before saying dangling Laurence's skull in front of his face and seeing what happens.

Digirat posted:

"Git gud" is usually a joke, except the problem with this game's community is that there's enough people who are dense enough to say it completely unironically (even though that term is making fun of them) that it's not always easy to tell

yeah, I think this is why I missed that JBP was joking. I'm also relatively new to the thread so I don't know what y'all are like yet!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sleekly posted:

What do they even talk about in the ps4 thread? Does the disk spin faster than my axe? Is the resolution on horizon better than seeing PREY SLAUGHTERED?

Sleekly posted:

the answer to both is NO

:black101:

I do actually kinda want to play Horizon, though. Nioh too. Alas, they will have to wait for me to be less blood-drunk so I can tear myself away from the dream/nightmare for a while

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I bet 90% of my time spent on my PS4 is Souls/Bloodborne. I rebought both DS2 and 3 on there when they were on sale because I'm weak and wanted to be able to play everything easily on my TV, so that pretty much locked out my thinking about playing many other games for a while.

If DS1 gets a PS4 rerelease then it's all over. Doubly so if Demon's Souls gets one since I haven't even touched that game yet.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I don't have an amazing PC so I'm really happy to have a solid current-gen console to play games like DS3 on even though they're available on PC. The only thing that sorta sucks is the lack of backwards compatibility, but literally the only reason I mention that is because it means I can't try Demon's yet

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

The One Reborn is a huge dickhead if you don't know how to approach it. I killed it in relatively few attempts on my first run, but the attempt where I killed the thing took like 10 loving minutes.

If you know about the limb breaking then it's just ridiculously easy.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

That's true as long as he never voms all over the place because that move is straight-up bullshit. The hitbox for the vomit pool is all kinds of hosed up.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

First got excited about the possibility of easy backstabs when I fight Orphan, now I'm uncomfortable at the prospect. STOP PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

So you just need to crush vermin to get devotion to Valtr for his quest? I've been doing lots of co-op so I think I've gotten 5 by now, but I haven't talked to him since then.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Why does that suck so much? Does Simon give you something if he survives the DLC?

e: I mean because I got his bowblade when literally the exact same thing happened to me :D

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I've gotten invaded a couple times when co-oping and I only started co-oping in the last couple weeks. It probably depends a lot on region and matchmaking.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

If I didn't talk to Eileen at all and now I'm at the endgame (right before Gehrman), has she just disappeared? I thought she was supposed to show up at the grand cathedral but she's not there.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

spaceships posted:

if you don't interact with eileen, she shows up at the grand cathedral after you slaughter rom as a hostile.

Yeah you mentioned that earlier today but she wasn't there so I figured I'd ask here too. Maybe she just glitched out. Ah well, NG+ is there for a reason!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

*extremely nasally voice* my fianceé broke up with me because I ONLY SUGGESTED that love can exist between man and fictional videogame ladies who murder me

Oh also I've tried Laurence a few times and now I loving love the thread title. He's hard but I had the dumbest death on my last attempt. I was playing it safe when he was crawling around but I got knocked down once and he wombo combo'd me :(

Also ridiculously hard: deep chalices. I'm in the Cursed and Defiled Pthumeru one and the lowered health bar plus how hard the enemies hit (WATCHDOOOOOG) makes it extremely perilous.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I've gotten the rhythms for Defiled Watchdog down pretty well but god drat, one screwup on one of its unusual moves and I'm dead instantly. Last couple attempts got it down to 1/3 health so hopefully I'll get it in the next couple tries!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sleekly posted:

Watchdog means the end is in sight. Sorta :D

Have you tried making random ones? Going 5 depth with all the modifiers is nuts. And rewarding.

Watchdog is dead, yayyyyy!

I just did one random one to get more Ritual Blood (3) so I could make another dang dungeon to get the Arcane Haze Extractor.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

It's a fight of attrition, I always record my first down of a boss and this is the only one that took me upward of 7 minutes, tied with Rom I think.

Don't be greedy, don't panic, just whittle him down bit by bit. Once you have the rhythm down like you said it's just a matter of patience. (And endurance)

Yeah, panicking wasn't the issue, it was just that it's harder to get the timing down for the things that one-shot me since, uh, they one-shot me so I don't get another chance if I mess up.

I got lucky in the last attempt because I managed to break its leg when it was at like 10% health, so I could kill it with a Moonlight L2 and a couple R1s before it got up. As frustrating as it can be to work on a boss for a solid couple hours just because of getting one-shotted, it's awfully satisfying when you finally finish the fucker off!

One thing I found really useful was that I didn't get one-shotted by the short-range AOE it does when gets up from being staggered, so I could just go hog wild with two charged R2s while it was down and just heal up the damage I took. Totally worth the trade.

Mahlertov Cocktail fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 22, 2017

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh Christ do I have to fight Amygdala with this health bar? :catstare:

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

That's amazing advice because holy crap do I not want to fight those dogs. The Keeper (witch lady) is fine, I can just moonlight her to death no problem, but the dogs are horrendous.

Also monstrous: that pale scabby dude with the mace in one of the layer 3 treasure rooms. His roll bullshit gets me almost every time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I think in my first run it took two or three tries, but this is how I fight him now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcy8I9Fx-AM

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh I didn't realise you could still parry him during the third phase

Sure can! I almost felt guilty for finishing him off with R1s instead of another parry in the fight from that video. Ohhhh welllllll

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

And now Ive unlocked Byrgenwyrth. I think I'm still too low (lvl 60) to kill Ludvig yet, so I think i need the optional areas to get some more arcane tools and hit maybe lvl 80 before Inhead back into the DLC.

This is amazing to me. I NEVER replay games but Bloodborne is basically like a Dungeons & Dragons campaign set in my favorite fiction and it's only for me. I'm playing in this completely different way from my first character and it's almost like a different game.

Level 60 starts to be viable to do DLC stuff depending how confident you are and how good you are at dodging.

Yeah, Bloodborne is the loving best. I'm working on plat on my current character (quality + arcane with Holy Moonlight Sword) and I have another new dexy-bloodtinge run going at the same time.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Double post but y'all were right, Defiled Amygdala was wayyyyyy less difficult than Watchdog. It definitely helps that I already know the moveset really well. Knocked it out in less than an hour yesterday, whereas Watchdog took probably two and a half or three.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Sleekly posted:

Yeah Amy felt like much more of a straight up endurance fight. Which is tense when you only have 50% hp. Its about keeping your head. But that last phase and that jump though wow

The jump is totally fine, honestly. You can even look up and see when it's coming down to time the jump. 90% of the time I died in the second or third phase from arcane slams.

I also used lightwaves to the head for a good cheesy 3k damage or so. No shame.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Shannow posted:

Yeah, cursed amy is a fucker till you learn how to bait the head. 4-6 hits sets up for a visceral, with a beast blood pellet and the 3 clawmark runes equipped she's down pretty fast.

This is hardcore. I baited the slam attacks but then just smacked the head and arms as safely as possible. Took longer but was also perfectly viable. I guess the length of the fight is a weakness in that it gives you more chances to gently caress up and get one-shotted though.

Anyway, I'm ready to go in on Lower Loran this weekend to get the red jelly necessary to make the Great Pthumeru Ihyll dungeon. Comin' for you, Yharnam

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Abhorrent Beast in Lower Loran is tough but not too terrible. The only reason it's harder than it was in Ailing Loran (I think) is that he hits harder and has more health so I can't just forward-R2 moonlight jump spam him to death and tank the damage i take after attacking. It's just as fun as a proper fight though!

e: and Loran Silverbeast was a joke obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

RIP yharnam in one attempt. She really isn't that difficult. The challenge is entirely in hacking through the five or six other chalice dungeons you have to do before reaching her.

• Locked thread