Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just got a PS4 and this game and spent several hours today throwing myself against Gascoigne. Man that was great once I finally beat him. And that was only the second boss.

Good to be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grump posted:

I attempted to beat him once tonight and turned the game off once I died. I did not have the energy to get angry and curse at my tv tonight.

He's seriously a major adjustment. The whole fight is basically telling you in no uncertain terms that you can't play this game like Dark Souls. Even though I beat him I still don't think I fully have the hang of that. His last form came down to an insane brawl every time until I finally came out on top.

I did get really good at parrying him though.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Ummmmm so I've killed gascoigne and djura, and yet neither of those outfits are for sale in the bath messenger. I just killed blood starved beast and they're still not in that shop. Stake driver and rifle spear went up for sale after djura, but no gear. What's the deal?

You're looking in the wrong bath messenger shop. Boss/enemy gear seems to show up only in the Insight shop, found next to one of the doors of the house.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Woah some weird dude killed me and now I'm in prison somewhere. That was surprising.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This place is hard I don't like these weird guys and their magic and power ups. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

Nevermind those guys, be wary of grandma. :haw:

Yeah...... I was mad

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And after all that I discovered that I was going the wrong way and there was a lantern right over in the other direction. Oops

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I just helped Eileen murder some dude for some reason, that was fun!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Helping Eileen murder people is both good and smart because she gives you some cool gestures and also leads to one of the best runes in the game

I like her and intend to assist her in any further murders.

I've got a nice little group living in Oedon chapel now, it's just like old times.

Looking forward to them all dying miserably and horribly. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

It was the last thing I did before I exited the game, is there a possible way to roll it back to just before I killed her or something?

And by saying I killed her because I thought the quest was going to glitch, I meant I wanted her stuff anyways in case I did if I followed the quest, which is why I just said gently caress it and did it

These games always autosave on things like that so no.

I never kill NPCs unless they attack me first, barring special circumstances. Or uh... accidents.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A cthulu man ate half my insight :cry:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay I think an umbilical cord may be the strangest item I've ever found in one of these games. :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Y-yes sir

I guess... there's two more of these somewhere...?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yikes I beat Vicar Amelia and the game got even spookier somehow.

Is this going to be a pattern? :ohdear:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hmm the old lady in the chapel seems to be going insane with fear.

kanonvandekempen posted:

I hope you vagina's don't scare you.

They haven't in the past......

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

To the left when exiting the Grand Cathedral there's an area that had two hard to kill hunters, and then some big axe guys and rifle dudes. Beyond that there's some stairs down to a chamber with a bowl in the middle, a locked door, and another mysterious lifty void like the one in Cathedral Ward. Is there anything I can do there yet or is it just a dead end for now?

I also got a tonsil stone from a guy in one of the houses there so now I'm going to look around the right of the cathedral to see what I'm supposed to be looking for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh wait the directions meant right as you're facing the cathedral didn't it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Philthy posted:

Yeah I think you can keep checking that area out.

The locked door is still locked?

Yeah I tried to open it and then the ghost thing showed up again, but I avoided it and ran away.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Accept the blessings of the godhead.

Yeah I get the hint now that I realize I was already in the direction it was talking about. I was spending some quality time getting murdered by the rifle guys in the other directions but now I'll go see what this ghost god thing wants

E: WHAT IS THAT WHAT IS THAT

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 1, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Does that mean that there's one of those.... things just hanging out above the Cathedral Ward as well??

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This game is hosed up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

looking.glass.eyes posted:

Thanks! My first From Software game...amazing. I'd have bought a PS4 back in March for this game alone if I had known.

You should play the other ones now! They're also amazing.

Everything is terrifying now. The dudes in cathedral ward just got stronger, Yahar'ghul was nervewracking with the stupid pigs and dogs (at least the Darkbeast was easy though), and now I'm exploring some kind of twisted bizarre place called the Nightmare Frontier.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

If you're talking about what i think you're talking about, this is because your insight is higher than 15, so you could spend some at the insight vendor in the Hunter's dream to make it easier.

Well people in here told me to keep raising insight so I'll just deal with it I guess. I don't need to do much in Cathedral Ward now anyway.

Though I think it's also causing weird black sickle monsters to spawn in Charnel lane because they definitely weren't here before when I first peeked in right after the Vicar...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My save is currently standing in a pile of dead horses in that area so I'll forge ahead next time.

I came here because the Nightmare Frontier was becoming too frustrating so I figured I'd come back to that later.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

looking.glass.eyes posted:

Do I get to anally eviscerate any enormous pigs with my bare hands? Cause that could be a deal breaker.

I do have DS1 for PC that I picked up on a Steam sale way back and have yet to play. I've been told by a few friends that's it's not a very good port. I'm sort of wary of trying the Souls games period. Bloodborne felt so amazing and so perfect, the combat, the setting, I love absolutely everything about it so much. I feel like slower combat and a more traditional fantasy setting just won't hold to how high the bar was just set for me.

If you've already got DS1 just play it. Yeah it's not the same as Bloodborne but there's a reason this series was already so beloved and DS1 is it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Demon's Souls didn't explode with popularity in nearly the same way that Dark Souls did. Also I was never able to play it so it doesn't count.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

also you should play it because it's better than Dark Souls in some ways

I will if I ever own a system I can play it on.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Haha the Witch(es) of Hemwick were awesome. I love that kind of gimmicky boss.

E: Memorize a Caryll Rune to acquire its eldritch strength. :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

On a side note, I'll link this screenshot because it's spoilery and I don't want someone just scrolling through to see it.

I finally got over 40 insight :gonk:

Also I finally had my first invasion just now back in the Nightmare Frontier. Last time the bell kept ringing, but no one showed. Now "Adversary Willow" showed up right away. I killed them good.

Then I went and killed the Chime Maiden because this awful place is bad enough.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The forbidden woods has traps!

:haw:

And I'm falling for every one of them, this is great

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 2, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I found a horrible little man who TOOOOTALLY didn't just murder these people he's hunched over. I don't want him in my nice chapel so I sent him to Iosefka. Did I make a good choice? :ohdear:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah

you can also fight him if you attack him and it's a unique fight outside of Chalice Dungeons

A unique fight with a little man?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

He doesn't stay little if you hit him

Huh. Can I fight him at the clinic? Hell can I even get into the clinic?

Continuing on I just found a guy whose head is snakes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Hey guys I know I'm gonna sound like a loving retard but here it goes. I made a new character and am basically at the same point I was on my previous character. I got all the stuff from eileen from the first visit and exhausted the dialogue, then beat gascoin and BSB. I went to look for the henryk fight but there was no one there, so I looked it up and it says the second spot you run into her is outside cathedral ward lamp after opening some gates, however I have no idea where those gates are. I went back and checked and she's still chilling in the first spot.

I don't know what triggers her to move but she didn't show up for me until after I thoroughly explored the Cathedral Ward, right before I went to fight Vicar Amelia. So maybe explore there first?

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can't fight him if you send him to the clinic but you can get in there

Aw well I guess I'll fight him if I ever replay this game. Iosefka said she "treated" him and gave me some beast blood. Her laugh is creepy so I'm glad that everyone else is safe and happy in the chapel.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

a messed up horse posted:

The second part of her quest isn't until after Rom, so I'd assume any point up until then you're okay. By the way, when you do go to fight I'd recommend sneaking up from the back way (cathedral ward lamp back to Oedon) so you can get a backstab or two in. Henryk is a bastard.

Yeah I tried to do this but I hosed it up and he killed me several times before I finally got him.

Hunter fights are the most tense things in this game so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god Iosefka's clinic is horrifying wtf lady, I'm glad I didn't send you anyone I cared about.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

Technically the Iosefka you talk to the first time you go there is a different lady and the lady you find there when you go in through the back turned her into one of those blue man group rejects (which is why one is holding one of the Iosefka's Blood Vial items)

rip in peace Iosefka

Is that something you find out if you go up and fight her? She called down to me threateningly and I had over 50,000 echoes on me so I figured I'd leave her alone for now and come back to fight later when I've got nothing to lose.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shadow of Yarnham what the gently caress :shepface:

I can't believe I beat that on my first try haha that was amazing

Seriously that was the best loving boss so far

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

:woop: awesome work! That's a 10+ attempt challenge for the majority of players their first time

I almost died like 5 times. I got insanely lucky with the amount of damage his surprises did to me. When THE SNAKES popped out I just panicked and started rolling like crazy and somehow managed to not get killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

kanonvandekempen posted:

I also can't get arianna to join me in the church for some reason. I'm pretty sure i've killed enough bosses (cleric, gascoigne, BSB, amelia, witches, paarl and shadow of Yarnham) but she stays put in her house.

That's weird, she came to the chapel the first time I talked to her...?

• Locked thread