Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Man the Chalice system is so dumb. I was wondering why it had been so long since I'd been able to do a Chalice, so I more carefully examined what I needed for the Central Pthumeru one (one more Ritual Blood (2)) and looked up where you get it - you don't find them in the main game and instead they're ONLY in other Chalices. So either I missed one in the first Chalice or I have to do some of the Root chalice and hope I find the one item I need?

I only care about seeing the unique bosses so that's pretty annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Thanks for all the help and putting up with me being bad guys. I killed vicar with the help of some summoned buddies, and also helped Eileen deal with henrik.

Progression-wise, where should I be looking toward now? I can "awaken" in a place called hypogean goal but I don't even know what's going on with that, I can't teleport back to that yarghal place I awakened in after getting choked out by that sith guy, and I'm getting consistently loving slaughtered by the undead giant in the pthumeru chalice dungeon I made with the blood starved beasts chalice he dropped. Any tips/advice? Also can I summon people to beat chalice dungeons with me/farm them for echoes?

I cleared out the Hypogean Gaol at this point. The boss isn't even as hard as the rest of the area with those loving Snatchers and pigs and tons of dogs. However there's nowhere to progress in that area, just some loot and a boss I assume is optional. Do it if you want the loot and experience and the weapon you can find in that area.

Actual game progress is through the door with a password which you learned from fighting the Vicar.

There are also two other ways you can go to the left and right of the Cathedral. Left leads to another area that's ultimately a dead end with a cool boss and a very important item. You should definitely go do that soon. It lets you equip Runes which is very useful.

To the right there's some really weird stuff that leads to a couple new areas one of which is very difficult. I've done most of that way but gave up on the boss for now.

E: Oh also you seemed to be confused - the Hypogean Gaol is the building you were sent to when the guy with the sack killed you. It's within the larger Yahar'ghul village, it's where you fight the electric skeleton beast.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 3, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

Lots of things to do! So when you guys say to the left and right of the cathedral, where am I in relation to this? Cathedral ward lamp?

Start from the warp inside the cathedral. Walk down the first flight of stairs where the guy with the wooden cross weapon is standing. Paths extend from here to the left and right sides of the cathedral.

When I said left and right though it was actually from facing towards the cathedral, so if you're coming from inside go right to take the path that ultimately leads to the item that lets you equip runes, and left to go to the weird difficult area. (It's actually a little more complicated than just going left but if you knock on the doors over there you'll probably figure it out.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

I assume you mean vicars lamp warp then go right to get runes?(at least that's what I'm understanding from the wiki map on the cathedral, about to take a shower)

Yes. Bear in mind you have to go through a full area and a boss to get it, but there's a lantern a bit in past the guys with guns and dogs.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wait what I thought Hemwick was a dead end. How do I get to Cainhurst?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

a messed up horse posted:

There's an item I'm sure you picked up in Iosefka's clinic (Cainhurst Summons) that will get you there. With that in your inventory, start from the Witches' lamp and walk down the road looking for an obelisk-looking thing. When you get to the right place it will trigger a cutscene.

Oh hey you're totally right. I must have gotten distracted by all the blood and the creepy aliens and forgotten to check it.

And it's a letter addressed to me... I guess I'll go check that out soon!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Wow doing Amygdala now after the Forbidden Woods and all my weapon upgrades made it extremely easy. Guess I really was supposed to do it before that.

That or Ludwig's Holy Blade really is just that good.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why do I hear a baby crying in Oedon chapel? What is even going on :tinfoil:

Also I think the old lady has truly lost it and/or is on drugs now because she thinks I'm her daughter and is giving me sedatives.

Oxxidation posted:

Amygdala is a pushover despite its appearance. Its evil twin in the Chalice Dungeons, less so!

It seemed a lot harder when I fought it the first time but I think I just wasn't doing enough damage.

This time I even ripped out blood from its head with my bare hands.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Like how the ruddy hell are you supposed to find the way to the door that leads to the hair ornament? Madness. And it's just one of several places that seem rather difficult to find.

I found that all on my own. :shrug:

And I would have found Cainhurst even if I hadn't asked about it, I just didn't realize at the time that I was already holding the key item I needed since I hadn't actually read its item description.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh god Martyr Logarius is insane he's destroying me

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

Engage in jolly cooperation!! I had a hell of a time killing him solo.. Its doable it's drat hard though

I got him by myself. Holy poo poo my heart is still racing that was intense.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Alfred what the actual gently caress. :stare:

Well uh... I joined a covenant but now I just got the leader killed. Oops.

A-at least I got her... flesh? Nice???

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"When the red moon hangs low, the line between man and beast is blurred. And when the Great Ones descend, a womb will be blessed with child."

Oh poo poo oh gently caress what have I done what is happening

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

How's it feel to be dead Bloody Crow. Happy 4th of July, you rear end in a top hat. :911:

Is that the guy you fight for Eileen in the Cathedral? I just did that too. It was pretty tough.

Now that the moon is red it seems like everything's just hopeless for all my "friends". I went back around through the world to check on all the NPCs and the results aren't good. :smith:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

drat clearly I ain't seen nothin yet :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So um were the giant horrible sack guys actually... the good guys? Because as bad as Yahar'gul was when they kidnapped me, now they're all dead and things are so so much worse.

E: Oh god the One Reborn is so gross

Easy but gross

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 5, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

It's ok, I understand, I'll go :smith:

Well I found this thing

Yikes

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

You're fast lol.

I got scared of the Nightmare of Mensis so I ran away to use the key I found in Yahar'gul

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I just finished this game for the first time and Squiddo McMotherfucker right here was the low point of the entire thing.

I dunno, after a run of 3 bosses in a row that I killed on my first or second attempts, it was nice to have one that could actually kill me again. I didn't think her charge was that hard to deal with.

Anyway I finally beat her so next I guess I have to deal with the nightmare and its constant frenzy attacks...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god I can't get anywhere in the Nightmare of Mensis :cry:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

second-hand smegma posted:

I've been watching your posts as you've fasttracked this game and I must admit that I gain extreme pleasure from your current pain.

My hubris.... :negative:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Nightmare update - I lit a lamp that's a dead end for now but at least I don't have to deal with those giants again.

Just with the other ones and worse in the other direction.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I ain't scared of no spiders

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

second-hand smegma posted:

The naivete of a goon who thinks spiders are the worst thing that lay ahead.

I ain't afraid of no... well dressed hunters?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Okay a crow with a dog head, now that's scary.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just woke up from the greatest boss fight of all time

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

turtlecrunch posted:

I am glad you recognize that Micolash is the best.

And now I have the best hat as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This game is so loving weird.

I killed the Wet Nurse and now the dream is on fire. This seems like endgame.

Checking on the Chapel one more time and at least three of the people in there made it through alive... though not necessarily sane. RIP Old Lady. And Arianna who apparently gave birth to one of those little weird frenzy creatures and died when I killed it. :(

E: NIGHTMARE SLAIN

Well I don't really know what happened but it was awesome, game owns.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 6, 2015

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tylana posted:

Grats! A second playthrough with different weapons can be quite interesting. And/or looking up to see if and what you missed if such things appeal.

I'll probably do one when the DLC comes out since I don't think I'll want to do that on NG+. I did like how in DS2 they didn't make the NG+ transition automatic so I could just stick around in NG for DLC. Ah well I'll manage, a new playthrough should go a lot faster anyway.

For now I think I'm going to go through the rest of the Chalice Dungeons since I stopped after a bit because I was worried they were going to over level me for the main game. I beat the game at level 79 so I think I was okay there. Also aside from the bosses I don't really like the chalices so I'll probably do them in short bursts.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm excited about finally getting to see Chalice Dungeons - should be beating that Blood Starved Beast tonight or tomorrow...but everyone says they are really bad and that bums me out. I love the concept.

They're unbelievably boring and all blend together. What's worse, I can't even just rush through them to get to the bosses which is what I'm actually interested in, because you need to explore them carefully to get the ritual materials you need to even make the later dungeons.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grump posted:

Starting the Unseen Village (the 2nd visit) and it's giving me some trouble. These guys are tough. Is is better to just blow through the enemies and look for the lady with the bell or take time to kill them?

I've been playing so goddamn much today. I need to go back to work and get a break from this game.

Take the time to kill them usually. They respawn after a while, but it's hard to carefully explore and look for the bell ringers when you've got a million glowing dudes breathing down your neck.

It's a tough area but at least once you find each bell lady you'll know how to make it easier next time if you die. The craziest part is right before the next lantern so if you get to a part with a bunch of the Hemwick ladies and an Amygdala using a laser, just book it, get to the lantern, and then make sure to head back and explore for the bell ringer.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Frankosity posted:

do you mean the one in the chapel? I activated that one and explored the surrounding area - found Conitrus, the Yahar'Gul outfit and that Moon rune. Incidentally, what the heck do I do with runes?

Aside from killing Paarl you've done everything there is to do there. That area is totally optional for now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wish the Chalice Dungeons were just a boss rush or at least significantly shorter. I've made it through Hintertomb and Lower Pthumeru so I have to do Ailing Loran next but it keeps seeming like too much of a chore. And I haven't even reached the dreaded Defiled Chalice yet.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blood starved is seriously one of the easiest bosses in the game because you can parry basically all his attacks and the have huge opportunities.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not an Owl posted:

How the hell am I supposed to deal with the Blood-Starved Beast's poison build-up? He's so aggressive that it's difficult to get far enough away for the meter to go down, and even if that's possible I can't get within attacking range without the build-up happening.

Regy Rusty posted:

Blood starved is seriously one of the easiest bosses in the game because you can parry basically all his attacks and the have huge opportunities.

If you parry him constantly you never have to worry about poison or damage or whatever. Both times I've beat him doing it this way and he was rarely even able to hit me, let alone poison me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Not an Owl posted:

I'm all out of QS bullets, so I guess I should go grind for some more. How exactly does parrying work? Sometimes the parry works on bosses and other times they ignore it and I just get hit.

It doesn't work on all bosses. Generally the bigger bosses need to be staggered through attacks rather than parried in order to get off a visceral. Parrying is the key to virtually all the hunter fights and makes a lot of the regular enemies a lot easier. The Blood Starved Beast is an exception to that sort-of-rule about large bosses because it is easily parryable. Just shoot it as it's attacking just as it's about to hit you. Most of its attacks are very telegraphed and I found that parrying it is easier than dodging.

Note that you can also get 5 QS bullets at any time by pressing up on the D-pad to convert some health to bullets.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

When do more skill-based weapons start showing up? I just beat Paarl and basically every weapon I've come across would require me to pump strength to even try it out. All of them look cool, too: the Holy Blade, Stake Driver, and Kirkhammer. The Bone Spear is the only non-starter weapon that I can even equip, and it doesn't seem to scale with skill all that well.

Threaded Cane is good and I'm doing fine with it, but I'd like to check out some other weapons eventually. Does this game just kind of expect you to roll with a quality build?

The only other real Skill exclusive weapon you can get any time soon is the Blades of Mercy which you can get by killing Eileen or completing her quest - the latter option is only available more than halfway through the game. There's one more skill weapon you can only get from one of the end game bosses.

So yeah I just said gently caress it and went full quality with the Holy Blade and it owned.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I breezed through Ailing Loran without too much trouble but ho boy is the Abhorrent Beast kicking my rear end.

Which is good, he's fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh my god I just killed him by accidentally visceraling him which I didn't even think was possible

That was loving amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

Sounds fun but I can't beat the first boss yet so I don't know if I'm ready to sunbro.

Are you good at parrying yet? If so focus your efforts on Father Gascoigne since he's the one blocking access to new areas.

If not, go take a break from him and fight the cleric beast, who is a more traditional Dark Souls type boss and just requires a bunch of dodging.

I found Cleric to be way easier and beat him on my first try because he was something I was already used to and he doesn't have that much health so it's not too hard to just avoid his attacks and take him down.

Gascoigne was more difficult, but he forced me to learn how to deal with truly fast enemies and to parry.

E: Actually I think Abhorrent Beast is now the only boss in the game that edged out Father Gascoigne for the number of tries it took me to beat it.

• Locked thread