Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I guess this is the general Bloodborne thread? There's probably not gonna be two, so I'll just pop into here.

I finally caved after seeing a few other exclusives I wanted to play and got a PS4, now I'm running through Yharnam like I own the place (until some assholes tells me that no, they were here first and they are angry, bigger and stronger than me). I'm trying to stay as uninformed as possible, though I got a few heads-ups from a buddy when I first tried the game out, like how to even get to the Hunter's Dream and how trick weapons work etc.

Still wanna check a few things just because I'm interested, and I feel like googling is setting myself up for learning "too much".
- as far as I gathered, unless I got a build/weapon in mind, I shouldn't bother with Bloodtinge/Arcane. As I'm blind, I will probably focus on the sweet as gently caress Hunter Axe and never raise those two stats. Is that super dumb because e.g. Bloodtinge is really useful for bullet damage or whatever, or do I have the right idea?
- the Stump messengers do just change how my messages/buddies that crawl along the Lamps look like, right? If there's more to them, a simple "no" would be sweet :).
- just got the Stake Driver which sounded really awesome but it seems completely useless unless you're really into R1 spam. The R2 takes ages to fire and enemies seem to be far too twitchy for it to ever hit. Then you gotta reload, and I never am able to tell if it's loaded or not. Unless I'm missing something with either the moveset or its utility. Maybe it has a secret combo that lets you fire faster? Just curious, I'll probably stick to the axe anyway...for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lets hang out posted:

You're right about the stats, you're right about the messengers, and you're right about the stake driver
:discourse:

Thanks!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

bloodborne is about dodge and backstep followups.....imo if youre spamming r1, well, get some style
Well of course, what I meant is the R1 of the stake driver is superquick and that seems to be its only point, so why bother?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

If you like the axe then stick with it.

Also, stay out of the thread. We toss around some stuff that's much better if you experience it blind.

But do pop in and post trip reports any time you come across something that seems odd because we love reading those :allears: or if you're really stuck on something
I do love writing trip reports, so I'll just do that!

My start was rather smooth, because I had already gotten the opportunity to play the game a few hours before with some supervision, also I have played all the Dark Soulses to death before. Cleric Beast first try, Gascoigne second (that is consistent with my very first try, though - I think those two are just not that hard, which is perfectly fine by me. I hate getting stuck on bosses and it happens to me far too often. Play these games for exploration, not the Epic Boss Battles). My girlfriend is fluent in French so I spent a few fun minutes with her trying to figure out how to pronounce Gascoigne - she told me it had to be Gahs-ko-ah-nye, which made sense as far as a hosed-up language like French can make sense. Then I found out there is an English football player of that name, so it couldn't be pure French. Norman invasions ruining everything again. That guy is pronounced Gas-coin. THEN I found a video where an NPC just speaks out Gascoigne's name out loud, and sure enough, it's Gas-coin. Still a good time.

Anyway, Amelia was just the right amount of challenge for my taste: took me about six tries, learning her moves, picking my opportunities carefully, choosing the tactic of staying back to bait her leap attack, trying to parry and even succeeding once (it wasn't just a fluke that you have to shoot her while she's praying for the blast attack, right?), ultimately not consistent enough though. Got a really clean fight at the end, felt like I was in control.

I have explored almost all of Old Yharnam at this point, I think I got most of it. This happened (thanks based Hunter Axe):
https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/789214877520912388
But reloading fixed it (else I couldn't well ask about the Stake Driver, no?). Found the Rifle Spear, a little miffed that I can't even try its moveset without investing in a little Bloodtinge. Probably won't do it just to see what it's like, that can wait for another playthrough. Only two levels but eh.

I haven't killed the Blood-starved Beast yet. A twitchy motherfucker. I can bring it down to 1/3 easily (it's really not durable and sometimes I pull off a nice parry), but then it just becomes insane. I burned through almost all my antidotes and vials in one fight and then still didn't win, that was dumb. Even dumber is then having to farm - I do spend all my excess echoes on vials if possible, but it still wasn't enough to cover all the preliminary attempts at the Beast. The problem is that I want to take my time and kite it around the pillars, so I have to heal through a bunch of chip hits when I gently caress up and cannot rally well, and that eats slowly away at vials as compared to an Amelia fight where fuckups just mean a clean death for me and no big amount of vials wasted.

Now I'm wearing full Gascoigne as it has by far the highest poison resistance, I have a Hunter Axe +6 and am very willing to use Fire Paper (got a bunch), so it's gonna be a success soon, I can feel it.

Meanwhile, I fully explored the Hemwick offshoot, and MAN was the Witch a fun fight. I had two consecutive perfect Thanks Obama deaths. First one when I was pulling off my "just leave them the gently caress alone" tactic, just running in circles ignoring the enemies she spawns, but I made a mistake and they were on me, so I backed off to find a good time to heal, then suddenly something flickers in the corner of my screen, and I realize I have been backing into the witch...who was just finishing with the charging of her explosion move. gently caress.
Second death was when I flawlessly owned the witch and felt great about myself, waiting for the enemies to die with her, but they kept hitting me so I frantically dodged, confused, then the second health bar showed up and I was like...well loving played Bloodborne. Then I got stunned and gangfucked into oblivion. Good times. One more death to an inopportune stun, then I got her. Felt amazing. True Witch Hunter.

Overall, I really, really like how tense BB makes me feel while exploring. It's something I've been missing ever since Dark Souls 2. I love DS2, but its environments seriously need some work, and with the exception of some stretches, you're never far from a Bonfire. The original Iron Keep made me feel tension because if you don't kill Smelter's unfair-hitbox'd rear end, it's quite a long walk through a bunch of poo poo you really don't want to experience a second time. And there's fire and traps and ugh that was really great. Dark Souls 3 is a great, great game from a pure level design aspect, but it still has so many Bonfires and shortcuts that it's more of a stroll especially after all the other Souls experience under my belt. I recently went back to try and "Platinum" (on Steam) DS1, and God help me if the Catacombs still don't give me that feeling of pure dread. There's so much poo poo in there out to kill you and it's dark and STILL confusing after all those runthroughs, I loving love it to death. Especially the "try jumping" shortcuts. And BB delivers that feeling in spades.

One last thing: a glance at the OP told me that Hemwick is indeed a dead end (feels good to put a rune into my body though), and Old Yharnam is completely optional so I don't expect tooo much from the Blood-starved Beast victory, so that means I have to find a password for a door.

Or maybe I already did?

I would try, but...where the gently caress is the door...:negative:

(don't tell me, I need to learn to remember this poo poo. But that's where I stand, haha)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

More trip report!

I beat the Blood-starved Beast on my first retry. No blood trickery needed, I didn't even apply fire, just kept hitting it. I think the trick was not trying to be tricky. It melts really quickly to a +6 Hunter Axe.

So I got my first Chalice, but then I found out that I needed to pay :retrogames: after having spent all my Echoes already, so instead I went looking for the actual way forward.

Maybe the NPC in the church had something to say about the "everything dark now" situation, but he wasn't there. Next to the church, however, a new enemy! I bravely went forward but got my rear end handed to me, but then a cutscene??? Awaken in prison like it's loving Seath's grand archives again? Ominous chanting and an NPC crying that I shouldn't hurt her? drat that was good stuff. Then I found a lightning monster that owned me but I got it down to 2/3 first try so it should be possible, I guess. Found a lantern too though so I noped out of there for now. Crazy poo poo though, I will be back very soon to solve the mystery of the moon people or whatever the hell the note wanted to tell me. To be quite honest, I don't give a poo poo about lore, so at the end nothing might make sense to me but I sure killed a bunch of hosed-up monsters good. I did see some corpses with cages on their head though so maybe I'll meet that one guy who is in a bunch of fanarts not featuring the Doll soon. He might shed some light on what the gently caress is even going on, or talk complete insanity; I'm fine either way.

The two "no open from this side" doors next to the altar reek of DS3's cathedral something fierce, by the way. Which is good because drat the Cathedral is a good loving area. I will probably try to beat the boss first, though. Got nothing to lose right now and the path is quick. If you don't get your throat slit by some old ladies, of course.

Also, I tried my hand at the first chalice dungeon and immediately did all three layers because it was easy enough and fun. The Watchdog in the third layer was one of the hardier encounters so far, but I figured out a good strategy soon: stay in front like an idiot, bait his attacks and apply superiour range. God I love my Hunter Axe. At some point I dealt like 1000 damage at once so maybe I broke a limb or whatever, that was mystifying like most thing happening in the big creature fights, but I'll take it. Maybe booping the snoot is just his weakpoint. Other bosses: Undead Golem or whatever and the three stooges.

Now I got a Root and a Central (?) Chalice and no idea how any of this works. Maybe I'll look it up or I'll just pop one of them in and try it as soon as I find a few more materials (yum Grave Mould). I can also buy a small chalice-related thing for 10 Insight from the vendor now, I guess I can pop into other people's dungeons with this, maybe? Does that have something to do with the checkmark I can make at the start? Forgot what it says entirely. I suspect multiplayer thing.

All of this and I still haven't found the drat password. Still don't tell me, I want to explore!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

ahh, very well, you took old Gehrman's advice. just go out and kill a few beasts. it's for your own good
It's fun so yeah!

Random Hajile posted:

Root chalices are randomly generated, the Central chalice you got is a "fixed" chalice, which means it's the same for everyone and you are more likely to find players to summon for help. Central is also next depth/difficulty from the one you started with. Go through fixed chalices to progress to even deeper depths and unlock harder root dungeons, go to root dungeons to dick around for loot. But a lot of the better loot's going to be in the harder depths.

If you share a root chalice, then as long as you haven't erased the headstone, other people can access it if you give them the dungeon code and they have the right chalice and ritual materials. Useful for if you find a dungeon with a drop people might want.
Thanks for the explanations! Does it matter which Ritual Altar I use the chalices on? Is the root chalice one-use or can I just try it out?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oh my God the Darkbeast fight

I just stood between its legs and spin R2'd and it just kept falling down

Amazing. Wish I knew how the Share button worked, I wanted to make a video (would have been 30 seconds), but it only recorded five seconds after the fight. Though I definitely saved 15 minute clips of stuff that happened in the past before? I think I pressed it too often in my excitement and overwrote something :saddowns:.

Now to save up for the Tonitrus. Apparently the first thing with Arcane in it I find, so maybe not the best thing to delve into right now, but maybe the moveset is amazing?

In other news, my weapon now exclusively deals fire damage because of a gem I found in a Chalice dungeon. Hopefully this won't bite me in the rear end later.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah, I just found a Tonitrus! Now what am I going to do with all those (>26000, that's the price) Echoes I saved up??? (spend them on levels, that's what)

I do have my weapon at +6, no need to farm for Twin Shards unless I really get into the Tonitrus. Though it seems to be "just" a Mace which you can Bolt Paper for free with an L1? That's a little boring.

I did delve into the DLC just to make sure that yes, it is the DLC (wearing the Old Hunter Hat now). I will not search for weapons on a suicide run there, that's for next playthrough. Or to switch things up later. Got enough "vanilla" stuff to play around with!

Snak posted:

If you press the share button, and then don't save it, you're boned. It's lame.

Edit: don't use that gem. Elemental gems are basically only good for arcane builds, since you damage doesn't scale with strength anymore.

Edit: o gently caress o gently caress don't attack the horses that come to take you to castle Cainhurst. I mean, i don't know what I expected to happen, but I didn't think that through...
Sucks with the share button. Also yes, I did see a noticeable damage decrease with the Fire - didn't hinder me to check out the rest of Hypogean Gaol I have access to, but I'll change back. It's weird that I seem to run into so many dead ends - some doors that are just "closed", some legit optional areas with big rewards at the end (Chalices and Memory Runes), also I was really surprised that behind the Darkbeast was only a door to Old Yharnam. Though I guess you can shortcut a lot that way if you really want to...

Nevermind that, time to explore for what got changed in the Cathedral Ward area except for weird things whisking me away to a prison somewhere.

EDIT: Wait a second, the door RIGHT NEXT TO THE LANTERN? gently caress

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

So I did explore the newly-opened door in the Cathedral Ward, did some furious Souls Platforming, died like 10 times trying to get to a door on a lone platform but didn't manage. Maybe later there's a fall mitigation thing? I really don't want to die 20 times more to try a jump as stupid-looking as this unless I'm really missing an easy fall route. Anyway, the "normal" way down netted me the Beast rune and I'm sure at some point this transformation business will make sense (don't tell me), and another loop back, then I went to the top and *sad trombone* the door is locked. At least I got Ludwig's Holy Blade right now, but it seems a little unexciting. Probably a shitwrecker if you have a little Arcane. Moveset's not bad but I'm married to the Hunter Axe right now.

So I finally found the password door again and...where the hell did I get the password from? Anyway I did and holy drat the woods are spooky. Or rather: they're winding twisting turning and have traps and I get lost easily and drat I've been exploring for like half an hour with no Lamps or just shortcuts. Someone was willing to help me with a way to not get killed by the Old Ones looking at me or something - I know how this works because I figured out how to access the DLC with a similar item. Haven't gone there to get looked at yet, maybe tomorrow!

Also I got a Cannon and that was the end of my exploration for today because outside of the mill (?) there's a fucker with roots coming out of his head or something and I'm scurred. Especially with 50k Echoes under the belt, so I bolted. But Cannon! Wow! And I'm on my way to having 30 Strength anyway! Proooobably not worth it still but

Cannon

And finally I might have gotten an old lady killed by telling a psychopath where to find a safe haven with fresh bodies

oh well

she was getting on my nerves constantly anyway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Awesome! posted:

there is an easy couple jumps to that ledge but its kind of hidden

the password came from when you inspected the skull after amelia
Hrng I really don't wannaaaa...it's such a pain to get back just to die instantly. loving elevator shortcuts. On the other hand, maybe there's fabulous treasure...like gloves and pants of the lovely hat and sweaty shirt I found...yes...

Also, I kiiinda guessed that this is what the password came from, but because I also got DLC access right afterwards and the cutscene was some guy talking to an old hunter, I also thought maybe that was just to setup the DLC story. But it makes more sense that way.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

If you want to know how to do this: You don't need to jump at all. Just walk slowly off the edge and fall straight down alongside the dangling ropes.
I knew the ropes had to be there for a reason (after all, they're leading to a platform!), but always thought it looked too far to survive. Though you survive very deep falls in Bloodborne as I've noticed by now, so I will do this asap. Thanks for the confirmation!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

So I think I explored most of the Forest now. Found what I'm sure is the boss arena, but didn't enter it yet. What an expansive landscape full of snakes and goodies! But also sensible shortcuts and a quick main path, y'all were right.

Then I remembered that I had seen a certain cave which is apparently filled with mandatory poison-water, but hadn't explored it my first time around because I had at that time already spent half an hour in villages and woods and was kinda on edge, and really didn't want to deal with the big guys down there. Turns out those are motherfuckers so my choice was correct. Wanted to see what I could mark off the list in there...

...how in the hell did this lead to me killing Yosefka and getting a personal invitation into a swank-rear end snow castle, which I of course accepted? This game is the loving best.

As I also got through the academy thing and entered the area where I got invaded immediately, I have now three locations to choose from where to explore next, AND can do Chalice Dungeons, AND could enter the DLC anytime. Wow.

EDIT: Oh yeah and I did get to the door in the drop and really did not expect to end up at the start again, so to speak. Makes sense because workshop but again, wow. Hope it wasn't a bad idea to use the umbilical cord immediately, it said I could get a third eye from it or something but it "just" gave me five Insight :saddowns:.

But all of this doesn't matter because:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/789905856515170308

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 22, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Holy poo poo the Shadow of Yharnam fight. What an exercise in constant escalation, absolutely insane. I am already glad about the cannon - it's the perfect "ah gently caress just one...or is it two??? hits left on the boss" weapon because it just erases those hits. Though I really have to be careful with counting bullets, it's rather annoying that it takes 12 and not something nicer like 10. I came into the fight with 25, and wanted to give myself 5 more after the first shot, but I must have forgotten. So I only added 5 after the second shot, leaving me with 1+5, which obviously isn't enough. Almost cost me the fight.

...this time, the Share button worked! So if anyone cares, you can watch it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmakebT4o54
I want to add that this is the first time I saw the worms being summoned. I was completely baffled as to how the fight could get even crazier which you can maybe see in my sudden loss of competence...I think the tactic before was sound enough.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Thank you for this video because this is the longest I've seen the snakes around and I got a much better look at them than I usually do. It's hard to focus on what they actually look like when playing, and most videos tend to be of people deliberately keeping the snake phase as short as possible.

One of 'em looked like it was smirking at you as it went back underground :3:
Got a right to be smug, I was loudly "come ON"-ing when I saw two of them pop up way out of range of me...and then, delayed, a third right in my face. That is just rude. Is it always three from the start, or do they become more as the final guy gets lower and lower? If so, that'd be loving crazy. The fight has like five layers of escalation.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Quite right. This is how cannons work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmKtGLrkZ_I

Bloodborne: meet interesting eldritch abominations and blow their loving face (???) up

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I think I explored pretty much everything in the Nightmare Frontier (a little disappointing that it seemed to be only for the Chalice), except for
a) Not killing the bell-ringing woman before Amygdala
b) This fucker:
https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/790213255365070848
Because I won't go back on my own, I'll just ask outright: is there a way to do anything with him? I assume he's the rear end in a top hat who kicked me off the cliff (I'd been down there of my own volition already, however), but bullets just phase through him...

Also, one thing disappointed me. I got the the Lecture Building through the cutscene of Amygdala grabbing me, then someone pleaded with her to not kill me outright etc. - I just went back there and the same cutscene played, even though Amygdala is dead! Is that lazy, ~lore~ because that which sleeps can never die or whatever, or a gameplay concession in case you somehow forget to light any lanterns before killing Amygdala, then Hunter's Marking out?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Man, Rom is pissing me off. Why do the spiders have to be practically instant kill if they jump on me? I really hate bosses where I can't afford to do a single mistake. I upgraded the Tonitrus now in the hopes that I can just kill them quickly with Bolt, but I still run the risk of one jumping on me from offscreen while I'm mid-attack and I have to start over. That's just annoying.

Also, do I really have to run the entire elevator-hall-ladder-roofs-more ladder gauntlet for each attempt on Logarius, or am I missing some shortcut somewhere? I'm still in the learning phase and it's such a long way, even with running past all the enemies.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Snak posted:

I assume this is non-chalice Rom?

What I still do is kill all the spiders in the first phase, so I can easily knock Rom down to 3/5 health before he (she?) teleports the first time. Then I just do hit and runs. Run in, 2 hits, run out. Ideally, hang out at medium to close range to bait the 2-3 close-range attacks that aren't the meteors. Then you can run in right after each attack.
Great minds think alike, that is exactly the tactic I chose. I wanted to see what the Tonitrus could do in a vacuum and holy poo poo if you time it right, you can take off over half his health in one go right at the start. My winning run actually did less, but then again, you only have to do so many hit-and-runs when you have T H E C A N N O N. I would upload a video now, but my week-old Playstation Network account has already been hacked. How does this happen? Just got a message yesterday evening that my sign-in mail has been changed, like requested :). I'm actually quite pissed off right now. At least the spider is dead and the video is saved for later, if someone cares.

EDIT: Oh hey now visible Amygdala (?)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

Also i hope you rescued the prostitute like i told you to because if you didn't then it is too late now
I must have missed that. I did talk to a prostitute but she didn't offer me a way to rescue her so welp. Also, I got all the NPCs in the Chapel killed (probably by the dude that's sitting outside), so my NPC questline progression is just going swimmingly.

Sakurazuka posted:

Always enable 2FA just like the PS4 thread title says.
What does this mean?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HaB posted:

She asks if you know a place to go if you exhaust her dialog.

2FA = 2-Factor Authentication. Makes logging in slightly more of a pain, but protects your poo poo.
Strange, I try to always keep talking to NPCs until they have nothing more to say. Oh well!

Thanks for the explanation, I will make sure to enable that in the future. For now, I hope that I can get the account back (if not, not much lost, but it should at least be blocked or something), my credit card for now is also locked so I hope nothing bad happens.

Rangpur posted:

Man that guy sounds like a jerk. You should do something about him.
But he gave me free stuff I'll never use!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Did you... bother to talk to her twice?
As I said, I usually do. Though I also usually explore everything I can before taking on bosses (this is why I had the option of fighting both Rom and Logarius just now before settling on and killing Rom), so I must have talked to her before killing enough big ones.

CJacobs posted:

He is eating a dead body when you first come across him :negative:
I didn't realize he was eating, I thought he was looting - it's not like I don't rummage through every bloodstained body I find. Also, Demon's Souls was the last game in the Souls series where the rear end in a top hat don't trust this guy seriously dude actually permanently killed NPCs, right? Never figured it'd happen here, and then I was kinda curious to see how far he'd take it. Saves me killing the NPCs before going to NG+, and it's not like I'm gonna finish those questlines blind anyway!

Digirat posted:

Stay away from the chalice dungeons buddy, this is all bloodborne becomes after a certain point
Oh great

I didn't unlock the ability to send people to Yosefka until right before killing her, so that was out, too. Next playthrough I guess he gets to visit her, that might be fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Here's a tip that I still see people not doing, whenever you take an elevator somewhere to a boss, step on it and send it back down after you reach the top before you continue on. Thank you for your attention.
Of coooouuuurse I do that, mom, it just kills me that you cannot "run" up ladders in BB because A-team, lol.

But if that's the worst, I can deal, I guess.

Speaking of A-team nonsense, however, I keep getting surprised how similar DS3 is to Bloodborne. In fact, many, MANY things in DS3 I thought original new and maybe bad ideas come directly from BB. Especially compared to DS2. Not all of the following are bad, mind, just a random assortment:
- no quicker ladder ascension because gently caress you
- super obscure and missable NPC sidequests tied to amount of boss kills...or maybe specific boss kills...nobody knows
- weak spots on bosses
- second phases for bosses
- rope firebombs/molotovs
- dark version of the hub place
- L2 moves for two-handed weapons (though I think DS2 had some already, like my recently-learned fact of Greatsword/-axes/-club parries)
- super zippy rolls that cost no stamina
- super quick healing
- super hosed PvP because of the above
- no poise
- quickstep (but only on daggers, gently caress you)
- more materials needed for every upgrade step (that is, three shards just for +1 compared to DS1 and 2, I know Demon's did something else completely stupid but with multiples from the get-go)
- many weapons with elemental damage that scales off a stat but you don't need the stat to equip the weapon
- special animations (flailing) on enemies weak to fire

I'm glad to have Estus instead of Vials, and I don't mind more Bonfires which I can warp directly to thank you very much. But overall, it feels like they just transplanted BB into a DS setting, and this made it lamer, somehow. Not that I hate DS3 or anything, but it has its flaws, and I feel like many of them come from it apparently being very directly BB2.5 instead of DS2-2. Because DS2 had a solid loving base system going.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah the logarius run back to the fight is a pain in the rear end. It's a lovely level to run through though. Such a cool area.

I was like "this cannot be intended, this is a secret path"

*reaches boss*

But it is intended

hot drat (I love it except for the "do it every time" part)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

If I love BB as if it were my child but disliked DS2, would I be into DS3?
You will feel right at home, I think. DS3 is a great game, I cannot stress this enough, but it has some clear issues and I think some of them are due to a slight identity crisis. Many people are annoyed that poise doesn't really exist (the stat seems to only boost your hyperarmor "durability", so while it's not completely useless, I sure as hell have rarely a problem pulling off my R2 Hunter Axe spin in BB with no poise), that the combat is too fast, the enemies too erratic, especially in PvP that you can just spam roll and heal with little to no consequences, but that's a taste thing. I loved it on a first playthrough because the level design, like BB's, is top loving notch, it just offers surprisingly little variety on further playthroughs and that's when the cracks really started to show: it imho has far, far less longevity than other Souls titles due to a few crucial factors like game progression, weapon selection and PvP balance.

Absolutely do play it, it has the best bosses of the entire series, they really do get better and better with each iteration. Oh, I forgot in my list above, it also has visceral attacks.

EDIT: I know you go a little faster by holding circle, but it's not fast, compared to DS2's sprinting, that's a world of difference and I really don't get why they didn't keep that. Or powerstancing. Or varied magic builds that you can just dip into without having to go all-out. Or...but let's not get into too many details here, shall we.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Dark Souls 2 REALLY depressed me, it felt totally unfair in ways that BB never does. I'm not complaining about difficulty but theres a point about an hour or two in where you get invaded in an area full of enemies and it just ruined the game for me every time I tried to play it.
Where was that? Because if you were playing the Scholar of the First Sin edition, I might know exactly what you are talking about...

Also, DS2 has probably the roughest start of the entire Souls series. I cannot promise you you'll love it, but I do think you're missing out by not powering through.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah the SOTFS edition. There's no way to just play it with the original difficulty on PS4 is there?
No idea, but probably not. Scholar isn't a "difficulty" mod, however, in fact many parts of the game were made easier and/or simply more interesting. For example, what used to give me an insane amount of grief before I got used to DS2's tempo was the room in Forest right after the first Bonfire, where you go (sprint!) up a ladder and reach a clearing. In Scholar, there are like 10 or more dudes lying on the floor which'll activate when you come near them. In vanilla, there are three dudes already active and they will sometimes instantly bumrush and murderfuck you, which is hard to deal with if you're just starting out. There are more examples but this one you have seen already.

Anyway, about your problem...the invader you are probably talking about (Armorer Dennis) is indeed new to Scholar, he's brutally loving unfair and a kick in the dick. Good news? The entire area is a dead end, if Dennis invaded you, you've seen everything there is to see in there. Just leave him be until you can rip his taint apart way later. Or bait him into melee, then learn to parry :D.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Hmmm, maybe after I get sick of BB (Ha!) I'll redownload DS2. I might pick up 3 when it's a bit cheaper.
Hope if that moment comes, you like it :). I'll leave you one point of advice: if you want to dodge at all, level Adaptability. It gives you Agility, and Agility is vital for your iframes. A friend of mine was like "ugh DS2 Iunno man" and I told him this and now he's like "huh I suddenly can actually dodge poo poo and drink at a not glacial pace, this is actually kinda fun???". It makes all the difference in the world.

Back to Bloodborne, I reached the Tower Knight erm Reborn One fight, so I have again a choice of bosses, this or still the Martyr if I ever get over that bossrun...I can also explore the Choir, did get a ways in but gently caress gently caress gently caress those headlick dudes. It's not that they're toooo difficult, but I hate each and every over-elaborate grab attack in BB, they take for-loving ever, I get it I hosed up now let me go and have another try after I down two vials, no I don't want to get homing missile stunned and grabbed again arrrrrgh. It's just annoying and I loathe fighting them so much.

Between that and the bell ladies just re-summoning dudes constantly in Yah...ghul whatever it's spelled, it feels like I've been just running through two full levels no without actually fighting thins. I hope this doesn't become a permanent fixture. I like exploring and I like doing that when everything is dead.

I am also at a point where I don't really know what to do with my build. I got the Souls staple of 25 vit/vigor (you know, health) and 25 Endurance, 30 in Strength for the cannon mostly, 15 in Skill if I ever decide to try something out or want to go full quality...if that's actually a good idea? Dunno atm, and that's it, no points in Blood or Arcane. This'll probably not become a Bloodtinge character, but I feel what with the moon stuff I am this close to unlocking the ability to actually use all of those gadgets needing Arcane I found everywhere. I got like seven collecting dust, taunting me. Some things are weirdly gated, man. Maybe I want to dabble a little into that. Or am I thinking wrongly, specialization is the way to go and I should just pump Strength to 50? Higher? gently caress everything???

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Customer service got my account back, woo! Immediately did the two-step verification thing...

As celebration, a late Rom vid. Not that I beat any more bosses since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EQl4FSFZn0

I think you can tell that after a while I get really sick of their poo poo.

Also I hosed up the start here, if I had hit it only three times, then I could have unloaded an entire stamina bar for more than half health gone. Two more cannon shots and that would've been it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I wish I hadn't bungled my Paarl fight video, because it was my second try and I just did run in and R2-spun like a madman and he never got to do anything, it was amazing.

Similarly, I just beat the Reborn One or whatsitcalled (video tomorrow I'm tired) and I staggered it twice without really understanding it, but in the end I won so gently caress it. Weird fight.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

So I just made a makeshit chalice dungeon because I seem to be out of materials after clearing my first one, somehow, and it was completely empty except for some enemies in the first room, everything was unlocked, I ran through until the final layer and then discovered an endless void behind the last boss door, falling forever until finally dying. Is this something that happens a lot?

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZesxkdhP3w

I think you can tell that by then end I'm just like "...is this guy going to do something???" and after my first time staggering him, I try to visceral but maybe it just doesn't work, at least not there. Though the one thing recognizable as a head might be enough.

EDIT: I remade the dungeon and not it works. Weird.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 26, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Digirat posted:

Share it and post the glyph, I want to see it
Sorry, already expunged and made a new one.

Snak posted:

When you do a chalice dungeon, make sure you clear it 100%. It should always give you enough materials to continue on. In this sense, the side paths aren't optional. If you skip them, you will be missing ritual materials.
I thought I was thorough, but maybe not! In the future, I will check if I got enough materials for the next and go back if not.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Still beating my face against Logarius. There's just something about him which I cannot deal with "easily". Most bosses so far I was able to formulate a tactic and if I could pull that off, I could manage to win, but for him it's not so easy.

Though I do have a solid idea for the first phase - main Hunter Axe running attack stabs and NO GREED, it's easy to get him almost into a loop of sending out a skull, jumping back, I run after and get damage in while he explodes the skull harmlessly behind me, I back off, he sends out another skull...I'm just not consistent enough to practice the second phase well, so that's kind of an issue.

For the second phase, I'd like to chain-parry him, actually, because it seems to be easy enough when he does the huge jump attack - I manage to nicely stagger him out of that often enough. My biggest issue with that, however, is that the Hunter Pistol seems to miss him so often. I don't know what's going on there, but it seems like a 50% chance that a shot'll go over his head, like he's moving to fast or on a curve on his downfall, so I'll not get the stagger even if the timing is right and a full face o' scythe.

Now I was debating to counter the hit issue by buying the Blunderbuss, which with its higher spread should be good for that. I'd just like a quick opinion from you guys if you think this is a good idea, or if it's objectively far worse at doing the job I want it to because (unknown to me so far), it only staggers if all bullets hit or whatever. Also, I probably don't even need to upgrade it at all if I just want the parry, right?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Mindblast posted:

So basically if you don't level bloodtinge there's no reason to used anything other than a lvl 0 blunderbus.or base pistol? Explain why I never bothered beyond those two.
The cannon's pretty loving sweet

I expect that if I do conquer Logarius, it'll look p awesome so I hope for the video to turn out well...

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

HaB posted:

Seems odd that you're missing him that often. I assume you are charged-R2/visceraling him out of his charge up animation, right? If he manages to perform that charge successfully, bullet bounce off of him.
No, I try to shoot him out of his jumping attack, that one is waaay telegraphed and it seems easiest to get the timing right. I do try to parry the combos, but that also sometimes misses, just flies over his head. It's hard enough to get the timing right, drat it!

I do charge a spin when he charges up for the phase transition, but rarely manage to stun him out of that - in fact, only once, knocking him over, no opening for a visceral. I don't know what a bullet bounce is.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

lets hang out posted:

If you let him charge up for his second phase bullets will literally curve around him.
what

That's total bullshit because I sometimes hit him with bullets. I'd never have figured out that his chargeup gives him weird Matrix powers because of that inconsistency. Thanks for that info!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

So I just started a play session, bought a Blunderbuss, wanted to heed all of your good advice for Logarius...

Turns out all that advice was loving useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0krSwxEnWc

I often get hung up on trying to be fancy, doing things "the right way", figuring out the proper tactic or whatever, when sometimes, you should just go for it. The biggest help you guys have been is telling me that when he does manage to get his Aura up (he really surprised me with how early he did it this time), you just shouldn't bother with the parry and such. Apparently he can just ignore complete shotgun blasts aimed right at him, huh.

Still can't believe I simply succeeded.

Now I got another question: is there a deep secret I might be missing about Insight? I'm carrying around almost 40 now, and I might just pop a Knowledge and buy two chunks, then try to deal with the brainsuckers in the Choir. I really want to do that area asap, as I have cleared half of it or so already (got the Make Contact gesture), but the prospect of losing two Insight everytime I gently caress up doesn't really excite me if I can avoid that by simply not having any.

I did spend a few Insight a while ago just buying out the Messengers' one-time items and immediately regretted it because it seemed to increase the price of Blood Vials. But now that I have more Insight than ever, the price is still the same, so that's not it. Must have happened after a certain progression point. Discovery scales with Arcane if I saw that correctly, so it's also not like DS1's Humanity, so...gently caress it, spend it? Got forty Madman's Knowledge anyway...

EDIT: I should add that I'm trying out right now if I can wear contact lenses for sport purposes, and these are not specifically fitted for my eyes, so I'm operating at 80% visual capacity during this fight. And my eyes feel odd. Which is, I guess, appropriate for the game. I even have the loving Eye rune equipped (as well as the Moon one) because I forgot to change away from Chalice gear.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 28, 2016

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah that looked like pulling teeth, why were you doing so little damage with the transformed hunters axe?
I have no idea. It's +9 (don't have a Stone yet but I am a not-quite-perfect guy anyway), I got a few decent-ish Gems in there (nothing special but ~20% damage increase at the very least), and that is what I got. I too was taken aback by my two full charge-spins connecting and him just shrugging it off, but the real struggle was right at the end when I missed the sword like three times in a row, haha.

skasion posted:

Insight also gimps your beasthood. Only save it long enough to buy what you want with it, and don't pop solid insights until you are about to buy.
Thanks for this and all the other Insight explanations! Hadn't noticed anything strange happening but I did at some point wonder when the lantern guys upgraded, that must have been it. Would never have made the connection. I will spend it on poo poo right away, then clear out the Choir. Also, I have no idea what beasthood is/does, but please don't tell! I might figure that out still. Or not :D. Half the fun.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Snak posted:

Is your Axe broken?
You had me worried for a spell because why does this game even have durability I mean come on

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/792130809197191168

but no?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I stumbled upon a boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OgSk1bwsCA

This is my first reaction to it. What?
I mean, I guess the Hunter Axe is kind of ideal, but still...

Anyway the semi-hidden boss afterwards is kicking my rear end right now, but I almost got it. It's an easy bossrun and I know exactly what to do, just gotta not misread the split-second tell on the charge attack again, or get grabbed at the very end like a stupid loving idiot.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Blood Spookydude posted:

The purpose of the Celestial Emissary fight is to make you feel guilty once you realize you're probably murdering orphaned children who've been turned to aliens againt their will.

They had a boss bar, they die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Christ, I really don't want to but I'm getting seriously annoyed at the game. I can now do the following things:
- die for the surely 30th time against Ebrietas because I don't dodge the charge attack in time and/or correctly
- get instantly killed by a combo or the spin move of the Undead Giant in the chalice dungeon (and it's only "level" 3, layer 2)
- dodge a bunch of poo poo in the DLC to reach a river of blood with no shortcuts where a giant dude with a cannon supports another giant dude with an axe. I really feel like running another five minutes past assholes to try that fun part again
- somehow lose again to Micolash who I can tell is supposed to be pathetic once you figure out the trick, and I did, but then he does the spheresplosion thing and I dodge too early or whatever, I get hit in the head by one of the bazillion flying things and am straight dead. I hate it. Why does every loving boss, even the puzzle ones, have to have an attack that is basically an instant kill?

I also got a bunch of DLC weapons that don't really scratch my itch - I thought the hammer was close enough, but I'm sad that it works like the Tonitrus in that you constantly have to reapply the fire damage. I was really hoping for something to replace or supplement the Hunter Axe, aka something that has an actual gently caress-off-I'm-twohanding mode, but all the DLC weapons so far just change shape. I guess I could look for the Whirlysaw everyone is jizzing over...or try to see if the Amygdala Arm is actually good, but it seems so slow.

And while I'm trying a few times against each boss only to lose again and again after five minutes of not doing too badly, my stock of Vials and Bullets is slowly dwindling, I'm not gaining any levels, it's just really loving frustrating. It's good that I can bang my head against different walls, but I can't really get through any of them. Okay, granted, Micolash is only a matter of time, but it's still really annoying having to do the first phase only for him to say "lol not this time either" and gently caress me up. I almost won once but then he did the tentacles at a bad time for me, actually parried me with them, and my frantic back-dodge was juuust in his range still so a second tentacle attack finished me off. Again, just ONE mistake from my end, really (or I should have dodged sideways the second time, I dunno).

Maybe I'm also doing something fundamentally wrong with the damage I'm dealing. Maybe my fights shouldn't take five minutes until I die. I might not be aggressive enough, I might have the completely wrong gems. But normal enemies die quickly enough, it doesn't feel like it's lacking something...bosses still take too long.

A while ago I posted my finally successful Logarius fight (and that was a nightmare to win, too) and people were wondering why I did so little damage; would anyone care to go back and look at the weapon I posted recently to see if something is obviously going on? It's not broken, I filled all the gem slots with the highest numbers, but maybe, maybe I'm just really dumb about something completely obvious.

• Locked thread