Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I just finished catching up to this thread. I'm really, REALLY looking forward to your next post detailing the family and such.

I'm in Ireland at the moment, and we are having a referendum later this month on Same-sex/equal marriage and its seriously interesting to chart the strategies and mindsets highlighted in this thread on to the people campaigning for a NO vote.

The NO vote campaign seems to be primarily to be an outer narrative style / a campaign of disinformation conflating the referendum with all kinds of unrelated topics like adoption and surrogacy. (All of which have already been codified in legislation that was passed earlier in the year in a Child and Family Relationships Bill) They make arguments centered around these topics and when called out on it change tack or ignore it. Here's an example, take note of the dates involved:

January 2015

April 2015 - When the NO campaign posters are released.

So the No Campaigner in January admits that surrogacy has nothing to do with the referendum, but then, as it is the convenient narrative, completely backtracks.

And its very obvious thinking about it that their inner narrative, or perhaps a bridge narrative between inner and outer narrative is that they want to keep abortion off the table for as long as possible. So they are basically pushing as hard as they can at any kind of social progress in order to achieve their aim. Now, I call it a bridge narrative because they aren't explicitly talking about abortion right now, but it would probably come up again in a few years time if the equal marriage referendum passes this May.

I wouldn't be able to say what the inner narrative is, but its probably the usual kind of fundamental christian thing if I was to guess at it.

All in all cool thread OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

So when the craziness happens, like, the GRAND CONVERGENCE or whatver, what do we think the end result will be ? Bloodshed and War? Or will they burn themselves out in sound and fury?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Prester John posted:

Absolute worst case scenario would be the emergence of genuine home grown American terrorism, courtesy the sociopathic arrogance of the GOP.

You know what? This reminds me of when I was reading The Handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood. (For those that haven't read it, it details a kind of future America where a militarized christian theocracy is in control and fertile women are commodified as handmaidens to help old white dudes and their wives have kids. )

I always wondered how the type of society described by the author could come to pass. And these videos make me feel like I'm looking at a prologue to the book.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Woolie Wool posted:

Why would you spoiler the premise of a book? That's like talking about Star Wars and putting "Galactic Empire" in spoilers.

E: CowonCrack cannot be serious. :psyduck:

Also please explain to me how gay marriage affects your own hetero marriage at all. Do you think the Gaystapo are going to force you to suck cocks in their secret sex dungeon? :nallears:

Sorry, i don't post much, i didn't want to annoy anybody, so erred on the side of caution.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 7, 2015

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Dirk the Average posted:

Well, I now have a new and completely horrifying metric for evil. That fake-mom Christmas thing is the purest essence of evil. I mean, she knows how to run a family properly, was completely able to run a family properly, and made everyone happy, and then took it all away just so that its absence would be that much worse. There are no words for the level of hosed up that that is.

Agreed.

We're rooting for you PJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Is anyone watching the new American Horror Story ? I watched the first 3 episodes in a row on Sunday and when it picked up steam I couldn't stop thinking about this thread.

• Locked thread