Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Prester John posted:

For an example of this look at the 2013 shutdown crises. They got themselves into a gigantic pitched battle with no clear battle plan or strategy, merely trusting that if they just fought hard, it would all work out. Additionally, since Authoritarians always assume they are going to win if they fight hard, the loss in 2013 was a massive betrayal. They were winning that loving fight but that coward Boehner chickened out. The lesson Authoritarians took away is that they needed to become more extreme and fight even harder next time.

"X can't fail, only be failed" is a recurring joke in political discussion for a reason, and this explains it nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Effectronica posted:

The study that this is drawn from classified "Authoritarians" into ones basically satisfied with the status quo, which it called "right-wing", and ones focused on changing the status-quo, which it called "left-wing". So Stalin, Beria, etc. were (probably) right-wing Authoritarians, whereas groups like the RAF, SLA, many death squads, etc. were left-wing Authoritarians.

Another way to describe it: a Totalitarian wants to control the world, while an Authoritarian just wants everyone in the world to agree with them.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So is that just going to add another crime to their list? Last I heard if you weren't literally a marshal you didn't get to take a gun anywhere near a plane.

Or am I wrong? I always thought moving a gun a long distance basically meant driving it there and making sure you could legally do so across the states along the way.

You can bring a gun on a plane as long as it is unloaded and you put it in your checked bag where you can't access it until after the plane lands.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Guavanaut posted:

I especially like "these internet leftists are angriest of people against capitalism" twinned with "now let me tell you how it's all the fault of Rothschilds, George Soros, Rockefellers, and Royal Family members"

That's an important thing to remember about conspiracy theorists. It's not enough that the world is run by an evil cabal, everyone else has to be dumber than you to not see it

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

OwlFancier posted:

Not actually having seen any of the US election material makes these second hand reports rather surreal, as I have no idea which parts are exaggerations, if any.

Everything you heard happened, it happened :stonklol:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I think you might be being a touch unkind to yourself there; if you actually know your poo poo about Japan (and you seemingly do), you're not a weeaboo, you just like the country.

Yeah if you even know who Yukio Mishima is then you probably know more about Japan than any weeaboo is ever going to gleam from watching poorly translated anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zemyla posted:

So the Nov 4 "anti-antifa" event was a wet fart, right?

The official talking point right now is "We scared all those snowflakes off the streets:bahgawd:" which is a depressingly common cult tactic. Invent a doomsday date, then when nothing happens claim God heard you and decided to spare you because you demonstrated your holiness or awesomeness or something.

• Locked thread