Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SickZip is just a low-effort troll trying to get a rise out of folks -- I honestly don't think they're arguing in good faith at this point.

In any case, PJ, I've been mulling over your ideas for the past few weeks, and for as much as it's worth, I find your work to be quite clear. (As a philosopher I wish more of my compatriots would be as daring/open to criticism as you.)

However, I doubt that your narrative dysphoria strategy to deprogram and assist narrativism is the best choice -- narrativism seems to me to be primarily a template which certain ideas can use to spread quickly. It's not one cluster or group, but a wide variety of concepts, that make up the pool of narrativism. But there's no way that non-narrativists are going to have the time, effort, or knowledge to sit down every high-compaction potential terrorist. But what if we can beat narrativism, and indeed prevent it, by creating another template to inoculate the population.

I'm not certain what would do it, but finding some way to give people a reflex against cult-like rhetoric could prevent another rise of Trump, or the frequently hypothesized leftist narrativist. (After all, even if the left is not currently being run by narrativists, they do seem to have been quite energized, and I'd rather have a solution before it becomes a problem.)

To metaphorize it, think of vaccines. A weakened strain of virus is introduced to the body, the immune system is able to take it apart and learn how it works (and how to make it stop working), and is able to transfer it's analysis to others. If we can give people Narritivism-Lite, limited in such a way to make high compaction impossible/difficult, and in doing so teach people the danger of cults before things get violent or life ruining.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Checking the Alex Jones comment section, they're already gearing up for a false flag, and a few frequent commenters are already trying to pin the blame on Muslims and Marxists.

Trump is supposed to be addressing the nation right now, so things are probably going to get worse.

It's really sad to realize that I'm more depressed about the response to the shooting than the deaths it caused. :smith:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Manic X posted:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I am an apologist. I studied Political Theater in University, and we had several units on political discourse and calling out fallacies. What I was merely saying is that to write off everything Peterson has contributed based on the credit of the person as opposed to the merit of the arguments is a fallacy.

I will repeat that I don't agree with everything he says, but it is always healthy to hear opinions you don't agree with to come to a well-rounded conclusion of your own. His stance on trans people is arguably his most popular and notorious topic, but it is actually a topic of his that I find the least interesting, as the matter has been hijacked from his original point of saying it is dangerous for a government to tell people what they must say - also using gender pronouns does not really affect me living in Vietnam at the moment since it is only now just starting to leave communism and making gentle transitions towards capitalism.

Good av/post combo

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Prester Jane posted:

I'm just gonna throw this out there chief, but I am a transwoman living in the United States my experience is a bit different than yours. Jordan Petersons active campaigns of dehumanization of transwomen has a palpable negative impact on my life. So in that context I might not actually give two flying fucks about hearing his other opinions out so that I can come to a well rounded conclusion of my own. Jordan Peterson does not regard me as human and sees efforts to improve my life as a threat, why exactly should I give the man even five minutes of my time?

My human experience is very different than yours and the fact that Peterson's transbigotry has no direct impact on your life is not a justification for simply pretending it does not exist. Also arguing that because Peterson's bigotry has no impact on your life means that I should ignore the impact it has on my own life is so patently asinine that it makes one suspect that you are not arguing in good faith.

Good point, more concisely stated in my last post. :)

They also draw a connection between using gender pronouns and capitalism(?) Which doesn't sound like it's an intellectually honest point.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Why not just rename with the new thread coming soon?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Well, anyone got some scotch and a bomb shelter, we're all hosed.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

fishmech posted:

No, I simply make correct arguments and people complain that their pet theories are still true. Viz: that guy complaining that his theory where there's just "leftists", "centrists", and "nazis" must still be right.

I mean if you want to not have any debate or discussion and just have people agree with you mindlessly, reddit exists for people like that.

Fishmech, I agree with Prestor Jane. You're a good poster, and you've done right by troons like me, but you're really not coming off well here and might want to take a break from online spaces sometimes.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Doubleposting, but uh this doesn't seem good.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1021234525626609666

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Mods??

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think (hope) he's suggesting it as a thread title.

Yes. Also, I'm a she.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The fan is the poo poo at this point.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

yes

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I wanna get coffee with AU T-man, she sounds cool.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

fishmech posted:

It's really cute how people say this with a straight face.

Whatever you say, comrade-major anime avatar.

Besides, the better saying is "Fascism is colonialism brought home."

I like yer postin' friend.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

The revolution will be animated!

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Tweet deleted, screenshots are more and more needed every day. Document and archive what has been said, for the historian's sake at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

PJ, before the thread gets nuked, any thoughts on the recent title IX changes that basically say "gently caress you transgenders" in the most blatant way? Expectations, responses, reasons. I could use some rationalizing with this particular piece of news.

• Locked thread