Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
gently caress Bloodborne! Bibilography disputes have finally arrived!

quote:

I've entered the remaining knowledge outlines, and we're sitting at just over 300 simple innovations that can be abstractly discovered. Many of them have requirements, and many don't, so it's kind of a tech forest/grassland rather than a tree. Notably missing are innovations related to practical labors in the game (though there are some appearances) -- when the system is inevitably expanded and merged with the playing of the game, we'll deal with that, at least to the extent we can dig up reliable information.

For fields like philosophy, I've tried not to make judgments about which ideas are "right" or anything like that, but rather which subjects can be thought about at all. The specific view that a philosopher takes on, say, the nature of beauty or methods of education will depend on their individual/cultural values, where they apply, and a philosopher that encounters a philosophy book on beauty can then provide their own take (having acquired the innovation). Similarly, innovations for historians are, in part, writing forms like biography, and then any historian that reads a biography can start writing them as well -- the "tech tree" for that is stuff like comparative biographies describing multiple people, with a side tree about matters of sourcing, etc. And so on through the other seven branches -- there are innovations in naturalist writings, for example, and then they can investigate specific critters with those in mind when they get down to work observing foraging behavior or performing dissections.

Several innovations require innovations from other branches, and since all knowledge is individually tracked, that implies some investigators will need to be at least well-read if not skilled in various topics (there aren't currently joint research projects). There are some old and new mechanisms in place to ensure this happens.

Do your dwarves use APA or Turabian? Is plagiarism UNTHINKABLE or PERSONAL_MATTER? Find out now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
does the dwarf fortress dude make money off of it through patreon or something? i feel bad otherwise.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

does the dwarf fortress dude make money off of it through patreon or something? i feel bad otherwise.

Insane pedophiles donate to him and he makes around/just below 6 figures on a good year. Toady is good, but DFFs aren't.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
DFF (Dwarf Fortress Fag)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

as far as i know he is a lunatic autistic man who lives off old school type donations in a dark, damp apartment with his "ideas guy" brother

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Frog Act posted:

as far as i know he is a lunatic autistic man who lives off old school type donations in a dark, damp apartment with his "ideas guy" brother

I'm also upset that someone is making more money than me doing something they enjoy.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Average Bear posted:

Insane pedophiles donate to him and he makes around/just below 6 figures on a good year. Toady is good, but DFFs aren't.

i'm glad he's getting the opportunity to finish his life's work

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frog Act posted:

I bet he's a fedora too.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
when will he add graphics

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmao! 2cat!!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Frank Horrigan posted:

I'm also upset that someone is making more money than me doing something they enjoy.

this but unironically

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

very tweetworthy

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

*dwarf dissects a pair of cats and lhaos (laughs his rear end off)*

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

A guy on Badgame drove to toady's house and gave him a bottle of liquor then left without either of them speaking.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Frog Act posted:

He's a certified bad rear end and the only true artist in gaming.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Let's see your exhibit in the MoMA if you're so much better than him.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

DICKHEAD posted:

A guy on Badgame drove to toady's house and gave him a bottle of liquor then left without either of them speaking.

Wait that guy posts on badgame?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Toady is fat, rich and a successful game dev. Why are you turds flaming him?

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
Toady has the source code for Dwarf Fortress in escrow, and it will be released on the event of his death. There is a stipulation that if his death is found to be the result of foul play, the source will never be released.
He is a psychopath.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Thug Lessons posted:

Wait that guy posts on badgame?

I thought he did. Maybe he doesn't. I thought he was the main Dwarf Fort thread guy....

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

SnotGrumble posted:

Toady has the source code for Dwarf Fortress in escrow, and it will be released on the event of his death. There is a stipulation that if his death is found to be the result of foul play, the source will never be released.
He is a psychopath.

Firstly, having someone hold your IP in escrow is not remotely uncommon--this would actually be a very prudent arrangement if the game were exhibited by MoMA because if something happened to Toady and there was a show-stopper issue with the game, they could modify the code and continue to exhibit it. Secondly, it's his property and he is free to do with it what he pleases. Thirdly, as far as I can tell, he hasn't actually got around to dealing with it in his will (merely talked about it), and even if he has no-one knows precisely what his will provides for. It could easily be the case that if he's murdered the code just forms part of his estate and passes to his next-of-kin, or to whoever he decides to nominate in his will, and they can decide what to do with it, like the rest of his property--this is not at all unusual.

Fourthly: :downsbravo:

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

DICKHEAD posted:

Let's see your exhibit in the MoMA if you're so much better than him.

*bjork comes crashing into the thread wielding a smirk*

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

*bjork comes crashing into the thread wielding a smirk*

lol

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

DICKHEAD posted:

Wasn't that Stegosaurus?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SnotGrumble posted:

He is a psychopath.

This owns. His obsession with the game owns.

Support all people who can funnel mental illness into something they're passionate about.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
True Gamers Support Dwarf Fortress.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I have seen this prophecy come to pass

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I have Matrix vision except instead of green numbers i see the world in ASCII

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You see a red colored @ symbol.You know instantly what it represents because you're not some loving idiot who needs things like pictures to grasp concepts.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

Benagain posted:

You see a red colored @ symbol.You know instantly what it represents because you're not some loving idiot who needs things like pictures to grasp concepts.

+---------------+
+      §        +
+      §        +
+      §        +
+      @      +
+     /--       +
+     /         +
+    ╥         ≡    Ü      Ü  Ü

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Krotera posted:

+---------------+
+      §        +
+      §        +
+      §        +
+      @      +
+     /--       +
+     /         +
+    ╥         ≡    Ü      Ü  Ü

┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) 911...
┳┻|⊂ノ bush knocked down the towers
┻┳|

Dec 26, 2012

DICKHEAD posted:

┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) 911...
┻┳|

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

DICKHEAD posted:

┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻| _
┻┳| •.•) 911...
┻┳|

Not gonna lie I thought you drew a pump stack.

Also I have probably given way too much money to Toady.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
i never could play df well enough to do anything cool with it so i just read the crazy stories about what other people do with it like make mermaid drowning chambers so they can get mermaid bones to sculpt for cash

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Benagain posted:

Ascii is gay and it sucks

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

That's actually really cool. Might install again and start back up a game.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Benagain posted:

Sprites are mostly just arbitrary symbols and freaking babies can associate meanings to ascii characters so understanding the graphics of the game doesn't mean you are smart.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Dwarf Fortress freaking rules.

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

That's actually really cool. Might install again and start back up a game.

I don't think he's migrated it into a publicly-available release yet, although I have a feeling one's coming along pretty soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

I Said No posted:

i never could play df well enough to do anything cool with it so i just read the crazy stories about what other people do with it like make mermaid drowning chambers so they can get mermaid bones to sculpt for cash

Didn't toady himself say this was hosed up and nerfed the value of mermaid bones just to stop this one thing

• Locked thread