Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

My opinion's somewhat mellowed on the Vigrid reuse, over time.

When I first saw it I was like "Oh god really? Again?", but they reuse it in different enough ways so it's not that bad, and we see plenty of new areas too. The music for this whole section is pretty great - I love the primal sounding drum beat.

Rosa's pretty great too. "As long as there is light, the shadow remains cast!" :boom:
Does the writing on her bondage gear actually say anything, or is it just gibberish?

Yeah, I remember not being a fan of the callback chapters when I first played this game, but like you said, it's been used in a way that changes it up a lot so I like it now. Still hate the previous Lumen Sage chapter though.

As far as I can tell the bondage gear is just gibberish. You would think they'd be the binding spells or whatever but nope.

mkob posted:

Had to do it

:allears:

Malah posted:

The one part that still annoys me is that B2 Grace & Glory are so easy, or that they didn't port Gracious & Glorious as well. Fearless got ported with Fairness! Agh!

B2 is missing Joys as well, and Harmonies (but nobody cares about those) and Ardor. And Irenic I suppose but that was a car-angel

G&G are strange because they got ported over but now they have a terrible way-too-fast attack with no cue to speak of that I'm pretty sure they didn't have in the first game. Most of the original enemies are straight ports with no changes to their attacks. Also the thing I mentioned where they're the only enemy that respond to launcher WW outside of Witch Time, which just seems like they forgot that they removed that property for most enemies. I think G&G are so easy in this game purely because how OP Umbran Climax is, they can be hard as balls on IC paired with a Sloth, even with Witch Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malah
May 18, 2015

I have to admit that I didn't miss Joys because I found fighting them (particularly in threes) an annoying experience. Ardors, on the other hand, would fit right in with the B2 gameplay model of "lol good luck touching me outside WT", so it is rather strange that they're missing.

yoshesque posted:

I think G&G are so easy in this game purely because how OP Umbran Climax is, they can be hard as balls on IC paired with a Sloth, even with Witch Time.
That sounds vaguely like the Angel Slayer verse with Gs&Gs and a Jeanne. Which is to say, nope, nope, nope. :shepicide:

I might have to borrow a WiiU again and miserably fail to try marathoning NSIC, I'm running out of mean things to say about this game.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
So we killed the jeannestealers, then the mcguffin kid exploded, and now we're in a bayo 1 level? Maybe it's because I haven't gotten my coffee yet but I'm a bit confused :v:

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Jun 23, 2015

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Nalesh posted:

So we killed the jeannestealers, then the mcguffin kid exploded, and now we're in a bayo 1 level? Maybe it's because I haven't gotten my coffee yet but I'm a bit confused :v:

Welcome to the Bayonetta experience! :v:

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
Man, that sucks they didn't have Rosa and Bayonetta actually talking to each other, even if they do have the same VA. Missed opportunity indeed.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So it's totally okay for Steve Blume to talk to himself but not Bayonetta?

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Been lurking for a long time but just want to say thanks for the LP yoshesque. Your last LP got me to try Bayonetta and I put an embarasing amount of time into it in spite of having the PS3 version. I never got into Devil May Cry so I wasn't expecting to love Bayonetta so much.

Gotta say, I can't get enough of your criticism of the game. Your observations re: the changes to the combat are spot on. While I can't deny the game is fun, it just doesn't scratch the itch the first game left me with unfortunately.

Not sure if I missed it being discussed here earlier but it really irked me how easy the Muspelheims are compared to the Alpheims in 1. An odd criticism I know but the dificulty of the harder Alpheims made beating them for the first time incredibly satisfying. By contrast, while some are tricky to pure platinum I think I may have failed maybe one Muspelheim during my first playthrough of Bayo 2. A minor thing, but it meant beating the Muspelheims was not all that satisfying.

Also, Loki is the worst and actively repels me from doing future playthroughs.

Ah well, I'm enjoying the ride you guys are having in this game. Keep up the good work.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Nyeehg posted:

Been lurking for a long time but just want to say thanks for the LP yoshesque. Your last LP got me to try Bayonetta and I put an embarasing amount of time into it in spite of having the PS3 version. I never got into Devil May Cry so I wasn't expecting to love Bayonetta so much.

Gotta say, I can't get enough of your criticism of the game. Your observations re: the changes to the combat are spot on. While I can't deny the game is fun, it just doesn't scratch the itch the first game left me with unfortunately.

Not sure if I missed it being discussed here earlier but it really irked me how easy the Muspelheims are compared to the Alpheims in 1. An odd criticism I know but the dificulty of the harder Alpheims made beating them for the first time incredibly satisfying. By contrast, while some are tricky to pure platinum I think I may have failed maybe one Muspelheim during my first playthrough of Bayo 2. A minor thing, but it meant beating the Muspelheims was not all that satisfying.

Also, Loki is the worst and actively repels me from doing future playthroughs.

Ah well, I'm enjoying the ride you guys are having in this game. Keep up the good work.

Bayonetta 2 has definitely been dumbed down (for lack of a better description), and in conjunction with the director wanting the whole game to feel climactic all the time, it all serves to make the game a rather flat experience. Three big bosses in a row means there's no contrast and therefore no time for the player to take in the impact; the player becomes inured to the climax. It's all very well and good to have these amazing boss fights, but if the pacing doesn't allow the player to establish the danger a boss poses, then what's the point? Glamor had buildup, but then you get the Valor/Insidious fights which just come out of nowhere. Hell, Gravitas had more buildup than those two, and that's a random mook angel.

I remember coming across a video that praised B2's muspelheims because they taught you how to play the game. I agree with that, but the only thing they really teach you is Dodge Offset, Witch Time timings and the concept of not letting your combo break, which is very basic stuff. I'd argue the 'Use Wicked Weaves' alfheim from the first game was better at teaching Dodge Offset. I'm honestly not sure what the significance of the 'Don't touch the ground' or 'Use Angel/Demon arms' are because what I got from the former was 'use big AoE weapons/bird form/enemy step' and 'don't use these because they're not very good and can break your combo easily' from the latter. Also the 'Don't Get Hit' muspelheims are probably the most useless because it's better to learn a particular enemy's tells from playing the game, not being forced into a room with Sloth whose tells are useless. I really wish this game had something similar to the 'Use Torture Attacks' alfheim because it would be nice to know what built up magic meter.

The difference between this game and Bayonetta 1 is perceived fairness/artificial difficulty and the very specific ways the game wants you to play. Not the way *you* want to play, but the way the developers designed the game to be played. You only need to look at this example to see what I mean: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwZ7IEFR3GcE

Also for other laughs, just watch how much magic meter is built up (almost none for a lot of dodging and blocking)

Comparatively: https://youtu.be/MpfrcY2A_70?t=807 (sorry for the gross voice over)

There's plenty of examples of players stretching the first game to its limits. Not so much for this game. The rigidity of this game coupled with its very flat rollercoaster ride makes for an okay game, just one that I wouldn't go back to in a few years' time.

Plus there's that whole problem of the rival fight being badly designed, which must be breaking a few action game rules somewhere.

Bayonetta 2 had the all the pieces needed to be a fantastic sequel. The fact that it wasn't is my biggest disappointment.

Sorry for all the words but thanks for the nice words about the LP. :) It can get a little disheartening when each update only gets a handful of replies, but I know people are watching!

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

yoshesque posted:

The difference between this game and Bayonetta 1 is perceived fairness/artificial difficulty and the very specific ways the game wants you to play. Not the way *you* want to play, but the way the developers designed the game to be played. You only need to look at this example to see what I mean: http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwZ7IEFR3GcE

Also for other laughs, just watch how much magic meter is built up (almost none for a lot of dodging and blocking)

Comparatively: https://youtu.be/MpfrcY2A_70?t=807 (sorry for the gross voice over)

There's plenty of examples of players stretching the first game to its limits. Not so much for this game. The rigidity of this game coupled with its very flat rollercoaster ride makes for an okay game, just one that I wouldn't go back to in a few years' time.

Plus there's that whole problem of the rival fight being badly designed, which must be breaking a few action game rules somewhere.

Bayonetta 2 had the all the pieces needed to be a fantastic sequel. The fact that it wasn't is my biggest disappointment.

Sorry for all the words but thanks for the nice words about the LP. :) It can get a little disheartening when each update only gets a handful of replies, but I know people are watching!

I know you've mentioned this ad nauseum but seeing the rival fights side by side really highlights how crap the lumen sage is. It's amazing just how good the Jeanne fight is in Bayo 1. Even when the camera goes to hell on the missile, you can still dodge/counter based on the audio tells. Goddamn!

I'm guessing trying to pure platinum the lumen sage with the handguns is probably impossible (assuming the handguns are an unlockable).

The thing about the muspelheims teaching you how to play the game is something I never considered. However, that's probably because they don't really teach you anything you won't have learned just by playing the main game. For me the 'don't touch the ground' muspelheims are the most disappointing since you don't have to stay in the air. As a result, you can beat them easily without really grasping how areal combat works.

By contrast, In Bayo 1 the 'don't touch the ground' Alpheim doesn't have floating platforms and forces you to at least try to learn how to string together an air combo. While you never need to master the skill to beat either game (that is reach the end credits) the Alpheim at least hints at the possible complexity of the air combos.

I'm guessing that the reason for the change is because of how aerial combos were changed in Bayo 2 but it's still a shame.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I apologize in advance for this super nerdy post, but I really love the Bayonetta games and I've done a lot of thinking about them, and a lot of thinking about why I like the first one more than the second. For me it's less about mechanical changes and more about the tonal differences between them.

Bayo2 is missing a lot of the texture that made the first game so fun. It was a game about a bondage hair witch that fights angels by stripping, and I think Platinum understood that this was the kind of concept they had to go all out with. So the whole game had this goofy, burlesque feel that reached into everything about it, from the music to the UI to the stylized dialogue, and not only was all of this stuff super fun, but it was also self-consistent. Within all this context, Bayonetta, as a character, made sense.

But a lot of people were like "it's too weird!" and "it's too Japanese!" and maybe Platinum blinked because Bayo2 is a lot more generic. So it's a little more pedestrian than before, which is a little more boring, but its biggest problem is that Bayonetta's character doesn't fit nearly as well in Bayo2 as a result. She almost feels vestigial, like the cutscene directors sometimes said, "oh yeah, this is a Bayonetta game, quick, swoop the camera between her legs" and just called it a day. It's not that they shied away from the series' sexuality, they were just less honest about it.

Still worth playing though, and I'll never ever get tired of Tag Climax.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Loved your LP of the first game (In fact, I'm about to rewatch it) and I'm loving this one too! Keep up the good work, yoshesque!

I gotta be honest and say I'm really missing Fly Me to the Moon in this game :v: It was part of Bayonetta's identity and Moon River is not as good and really underutilized...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

yoshesque posted:

Bayonetta 2 has definitely been dumbed down (for lack of a better description), and in conjunction with the director wanting the whole game to feel climactic all the time, it all serves to make the game a rather flat experience. Three big bosses in a row means there's no contrast and therefore no time for the player to take in the impact; the player becomes inured to the climax. It's all very well and good to have these amazing boss fights, but if the pacing doesn't allow the player to establish the danger a boss poses, then what's the point? Glamor had buildup, but then you get the Valor/Insidious fights which just come out of nowhere. Hell, Gravitas had more buildup than those two, and that's a random mook angel.

Yeah, if there's ever a Bayo 3, I hope they fix this. Thing is, it wouldn't be difficult to fix either, but I think they really mishandled it, focusing on making everything feel like a climactic moment all the time - it's exhausting, and numbing. Similarly, the pacing in this game is pretty uneven as is - it's quite good up until the Glamour fight, then everything else feels like we're rushing through. Then there's that decision to split that Gates of Hell level in two, where the momentum comes to a grinding halt. Then a speedy rush through hell.

EightFlyingCars posted:

but its biggest problem is that Bayonetta's character doesn't fit nearly as well in Bayo2 as a result. She almost feels vestigial, like the cutscene directors sometimes said, "oh yeah, this is a Bayonetta game, quick, swoop the camera between her legs" and just called it a day. It's not that they shied away from the series' sexuality, they were just less honest about it.

I think part of that problem comes from the way the game shifts focus away from her and what she's doing, to what-ever-the-gently caress is happening to Loki - Bayonetta 2 is not the "Gonna Save my BFF Sister-Witch" game, than it is the "Ersatz Yu-gi-oh Poochie" show. Like, everytime it mentions what Bayo's trying to do, the game rudely interjects with "Hey it's LOKI, what's his mysterious story, hey Loki what do you think about Bayo's plan- actually we're not interested in that - tell us about yourself Loki".

Compare how they focus on Cereza, who serves the same role in the first game. The focus is very much still on Bayonetta, and her trying to recover her memories and find the Eyes of the World and stuff. Cereza is just a sideplot, along with Luca. Both are important, but they're still sideplots.

In Bayonetta 2, they're just transplanting the amnesia to another character, and making that sideplot take a larger presence than it should.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've a question, because I don't remember: in the first Bayonetta, are there boss enemies which you fight normally and then you get a cutscene in which you get your rear end kicked effortlessly, and not the fight being interrupted by some external action?

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
No, that never happened in the first game.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Yeah these kinds of games never have that, if anything it's the opposite. The character as portrayed in the cutscenes is this super badass that effortlessly blows through enemies and bosses like it was nothing. But as soon as you get control it's a completely different story and you have to die 3 or 4 times and almost die again on the attempt you beat the boss to get that super effortless looking per-rendered cutscene kill :v:

At least most of the time in Capcom/Platinum style action games you can do a majority of the awesome poo poo that gets pulled off in cutscenes. I'm still waiting on that button that lets me piledrive 5 Angels at the same time like the opening of the first game Platinum :colbert:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EightFlyingCars posted:

Bayo2 is missing a lot of the texture that made the first game so fun. It was a game about a bondage hair witch that fights angels by stripping, and I think Platinum understood that this was the kind of concept they had to go all out with. So the whole game had this goofy, burlesque feel that reached into everything about it, from the music to the UI to the stylized dialogue, and not only was all of this stuff super fun, but it was also self-consistent. Within all this context, Bayonetta, as a character, made sense.

But a lot of people were like "it's too weird!" and "it's too Japanese!" and maybe Platinum blinked because Bayo2 is a lot more generic. So it's a little more pedestrian than before, which is a little more boring, but its biggest problem is that Bayonetta's character doesn't fit nearly as well in Bayo2 as a result. She almost feels vestigial, like the cutscene directors sometimes said, "oh yeah, this is a Bayonetta game, quick, swoop the camera between her legs" and just called it a day. It's not that they shied away from the series' sexuality, they were just less honest about it.

This is a very good point and is definitely part of why the plot just isn't as fun to watch as the first. What kills me is that they got it so right in the prologue! The prologue is fun and camp while also establishing the stakes. It's a race against time to save Jeanne with the complication that Bayonettas inferno demons cannot be counted on (and may all turn on her for all we know). All good stuff and then Poochie Loki shows up and it's downhill from there (mostly). Or to put it another way:

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think part of that problem comes from the way the game shifts focus away from her and what she's doing, to what-ever-the-gently caress is happening to Loki - Bayonetta 2 is not the "Gonna Save my BFF Sister-Witch" game, than it is the "Ersatz Yu-gi-oh Poochie" show. Like, everytime it mentions what Bayo's trying to do, the game rudely interjects with "Hey it's LOKI, what's his mysterious story, hey Loki what do you think about Bayo's plan- actually we're not interested in that - tell us about yourself Loki.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I remember Vergil in DMC 3 or Dante in DMC 4 kicking the protagonist's rear end in post-battle cutscenes, but you'd get an upgrade out of the deal. Weird that they decided to introduce so loathed a concept to a sequel, but i guess it must have made sense to some developers?

Also Loki should be this game's mascot character, but instead he's a stranger with mysterious past, which doesn't really work, because he's no more mysterious than the main cast is and his past does not seem all that interesting. It's cool that he's also Ratatosk at the same time, though.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 25, 2015

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Well since we know both of Balder and Rosa figure I'd share some of their animal forms.

Strangely can't find anything but the concept art for Rosa's forms.

Crisis
Mar 1, 2010
I might be misremembering, but in the first game, doesn't Balder knock Bayonetta unconscious in a cutscene after you beat him in a boss fight?

Loving the LP, by the way.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zain posted:

Strangely can't find anything but the concept art for Rosa's forms.

There's a comment about Jeanne's Beast Within form from the first game's artbook, where they initially considered making her a tiger, but then decided it would appear too masculine, so changed it to a Lynx. I guess they repurposed that idea for Rosa.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Why didn't they make Jeanne a tigress instead?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mkob posted:

Why didn't they make Jeanne a tigress instead?

There's not much in the way of sexual dimorphism between tigers, at least, aside from size, and visually, they're quite heavy-set animals; I guess they wanted something sleeker to match with Bayonetta's panther.

mkob
Feb 23, 2013

Looks pretty feminine to me

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Crisis posted:

I might be misremembering, but in the first game, doesn't Balder knock Bayonetta unconscious in a cutscene after you beat him in a boss fight?

Kind of. Bayonetta handily defeats him and leaves him dead or unconscious, but then after she takes Cereza back to her own time, the power of the Eyes of the World kick in, Balder gets restored, and Bayonetta gets knocked out.

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013
On the topic of Musphelheims, what is this thread's opinion of the "Limited Punches and Kicks" type of Alpheim? It seems like they exist to challenge the player to utilise each weapon's charge mechanic, but I could be wrong with that.

mkob posted:

Never change, mike :allears:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

mkob posted:

:lol: I stand corrected - we never got to the Pacman style sexual dimorphism stage in biology :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Pesky Splinter posted:

There's a comment about Jeanne's Beast Within form from the first game's artbook, where they initially considered making her a tiger, but then decided it would appear too masculine, so changed it to a Lynx. I guess they repurposed that idea for Rosa.

Yeah Balder seems very heavily inspired by Ammy's design.

Also female tigers tend to not be as robust (Or as big) as the male is and tends to have a rounder face while a male tiger has more boxy features. I guess you could do a more feminine looking tiger if you made her a bit sleeker and rounder in the head. So eh? :iiam:

Zain fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 25, 2015

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mulgar posted:

On the topic of Musphelheims, what is this thread's opinion of the "Limited Punches and Kicks" type of Alpheim? It seems like they exist to challenge the player to utilise each weapon's charge mechanic, but I could be wrong with that.

Yeah it mainly helps you learn dodge offset since if you're doing it right your guns will keep firing after the attack/weapons will charge without breaking your combo. On a more basic level, it can be easy for me newcomers to develop a habit of sticking to the default weapons in these games as learning a new set of combo strings is often daunting for a beginner. However, if you try to beat these alph/muspelheims with Scarborough Fair/Love Is Blue, their relative weakness makes it much more challenging, prompting you to try using some of the other weapons.

Also re-enforces the importance of using wicked weaves as they're some of the strongest attacks (though the removal of score reduction penalty makes 'em less relevant).

At least that's what I got from them.

Edit:

Crisis posted:

Not quite. She shoots Balder and all is well at first. However, after she returns Cereza to her proper time, the sudden recovery of her memories causes the eyes of the world to awaken, resurrecting Balder and sealing them both into Jubileus.

...At least I think that's what happened?

Nyeehg fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 25, 2015

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

EightFlyingCars posted:

I know a lot of people (okay, tumblr) who were happy that this game wasn't as sexual as the first. I really felt that it was an intrinsic part of her character which is why this game feels so anaemic, almost like it was masquerading as a Bayonetta game rather than being a true sequel. Of course, there's no reason why Bayonetta couldn't be sexually confident and not have swooping camera angles over her nether regions, but the first game was memorable for being ridiculously over the top to begin with. Removing that aspect of the game/her character was really a misstep in terms of in-game consistency. You can really tell in when Kamiya wasn't running the show because barring the Prologue and the Alraune fight her sexual side just disappears for most of the game. I just wonder why people have such problems with it to begin with, it really seems to me that people are uncomfortable with a sexually confident woman who really owns the attitude.

Nyeehg posted:

Yeah it mainly helps you learn dodge offset since if you're doing it right your guns will keep firing after the attack/weapons will charge without breaking your combo. On a more basic level, it can be easy for me newcomers to develop a habit of sticking to the default weapons in these games as learning a new set of combo strings is often daunting for a beginner. However, if you try to beat these alph/muspelheims with Scarborough Fair/Love Is Blue, their relative weakness makes it much more challenging, prompting you to try using some of the other weapons.

Also re-enforces the importance of using wicked weaves as they're some of the strongest attacks (though the removal of score reduction penalty makes 'em less relevant).

At least that's what I got from them.

Yeah, I got the same impression from the 'Limited Punches/Kicks' alfheims. The idea of extending your punch/kick is the first step to understanding Dodge Offset, and 'Use WW' really ties into it as well. Pretty certain all of the Limited P/K alfheims are doable with Scarborough Fair though, branching out into other weapons just makes it easier. Comparatively the muspelheim do a worse job at teaching you DO, because most of them can be brute forced by just mashing the same combo. Removing Score Reduction Penalty encourages this behaviour as well. Admittedly the enemies randomly blocking your attacks does encourage DO a bit, but I've found a lot of the time that Dodge Offset doesn't help (shield centaurs, I'm looking at you), and that Umbran Climax is a better way to deal with those sorts of enemies.

The dodging behaviour just artificially makes the game more difficult. Even in a well-designed boss like the first phase of the Alraune fight you can Dodge Offset to try to keep your combo going and it doesn't do poo poo because of said enemy dodging half the time. While the first game's emphasis was on learning how to Dodge Offset to play well, the second game's forces you to use Witch Time to do well. Bayonetta 1 provided all the tools to do whatever the gently caress you thought up of. Bayonetta 2 forces you to play in a very rigid way: Dodge -> Get Witch Time -> Hit enemy a few times -> Repeat.

I'd never really thought about the alfheims' role in teaching you to play the game, but realising it just makes me appreciate the first game more. The only thing you really get from the second game is that Witch Time is crucial to getting anything done and that Umbran Climax is powerful and you should pretty much not bother with anything else.

Nyeehg posted:

Not quite. She shoots Balder and all is well at first. However, after she returns Cereza to her proper time, the sudden recovery of her memories causes the eyes of the world to awaken, resurrecting Balder and sealing them both into Jubileus.

...At least I think that's what happened?

Yeah, I think so??? In any case the fact that pretty much every boss fight in this game ends with the boss whooping Bayonetta's butt is just dumb. I refuse to believe that a witch who drop kicked god into the sun could be bested by basic bitches like Glamor :colbert:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

yoshesque posted:

I know a lot of people (okay, tumblr) who were happy that this game wasn't as sexual as the first. I really felt that it was an intrinsic part of her character which is why this game feels so anaemic, almost like it was masquerading as a Bayonetta game rather than being a true sequel. Of course, there's no reason why Bayonetta couldn't be sexually confident and not have swooping camera angles over her nether regions, but the first game was memorable for being ridiculously over the top to begin with. Removing that aspect of the game/her character was really a misstep in terms of in-game consistency. You can really tell in when Kamiya wasn't running the show because barring the Prologue and the Alraune fight her sexual side just disappears for most of the game. I just wonder why people have such problems with it to begin with, it really seems to me that people are uncomfortable with a sexually confident woman who really owns the attitude.

Like I said, I don't think it's necessarily that Platinum got scared off of Bayonetta's sexuality, since a quick glance at Kamiya's Twitter account shows that he doesn't give a whit about Internet subcultures. And he WAS heavily involved in the game despite being a mere producer for the title. I really do think it was just a creative failing, between trying to make the game less "weird" and trying to shoehorn in Loki's whole deal. I think they just lost focus.

As far as people being uncomfortable with Bayonetta, there's actually been a very thoughtful and fascinating debate about the series' content and the nature of media and stuff like that, but there's absolutely no way to bring it up here without completely derailing your thread! Which is too bad because it's super interesting stuff, but so are your videos, and we can't get them anywhere else. Priorities! :v:

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

yoshesque posted:

I'd never really thought about the alfheims' role in teaching you to play the game, but realising it just makes me appreciate the first game more. The only thing you really get from the second game is that Witch Time is crucial to getting anything done and that Umbran Climax is powerful and you should pretty much not bother with anything else.

Thinking it over, I'd say Alpheims try to inspire creativity using a difficult challenge. In "Use Wicked Weaves" mashing buttons is not an option because you will accidentally hit an angel with a normal attack and reset your combo string, meaning you have to think about the system in a different way. Whereas Muspelheims the challenges are much more straightforward and mostly relate to the ranking system: "Defeat enemies quickly", "Don't take damage" and "Don't break combo".

Essentially, Muspelheims explicitly teaches you the rules of the ranking system while Alpheims implicitly teaches you how to get better with the combat.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

yoshesque posted:

It's a tumblr thing. Sex is good until it isn't and I have the reigns to say so. Which is strange cause Bayo is a really strong female character who doesn't give a poo poo about what others think about her and enjoys being herself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Zain posted:

It's a tumblr thing. Sex is good until it isn't and I have the reigns to say so. Which is strange cause Bayo is a really strong female character who doesn't give a poo poo about what others think about her and enjoys being herself.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Next update has me being dank sick, on cold meds and giggling like an idiot I do not apologize in advance.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Update 14: Like A Tank No talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Talking over cutscenes(Polsy) | Download

Sapientia

Artists have often depicted the Cardinal Virtue of Prudence, Sapientia, as a marine animal roaming the depths of the sea. This is likely due to the human disposition to characterize the sea as the source of all life, a veritable fountain of prudence and wisdom.

It is also thought that Sapientia is responsible for the rise and fall of the tides, and natural phenomena such as tsunamis. The grand idea that the living seas could be nothing other than Divine Will at work is actually evidence of Sapientia's narcissism, even amongst the other Cardinal Virtues.

When a man born as a slave led his people to freedom from ruling oppression, it is said that it was only Sapientia's favor that parted the seas and allowed for their escape.

Kinship

Kinship, as one of the Second Sphere Powers charged with defeating evil beings, is responsible for transporting the forces of Paradiso onto the battlefield. Leading countless angels to the front lines, catching sight of Kinship's magnificent flying appearance is analogous to many as the arrival of true happiness.

It is thought that Kinship is the angelic manifestation of the ark that saved a foolish human race from the devastating flood described in The Book of Creation within the scriptures of Ithavoll.

Worship

Ranked sixth in the angelic hierarchy, Worship is a Second Sphere Power with the body of a giant warship.

In contrast to Kinship, a Power used for transporting angelic armies across the battlefield, Worship uses the divine power of God to decimate his enemies. Worship's entrance into the fray is a sign that the battle is reaching its climax.

Past followers of Laguna believed to sacrifice their souls and become part of the ship was to receive the highest form of bliss.

Resplendence

Forged by divine hands using the brilliance of the sun itself, Resplendence resides in the First Sphere class Thrones, ranked third in the angelic hierarchy.

Resplendence's radiant form can overturn the laws of nature, turning night to day as it simply peers over the horizon. Among those who gaze into its luminous presence, the pious weep and bow before it, while it sears the eyes of those who lack faith, throwing them to the ground in submission.

Iustitia
Within Paradiso's Divine Will, also known as the Cardinal Virtues, Iustitia, or Justice, is known to take a particularly strange physical manifestation. A large mass covered with numerous faces, and extending outwards via countless tentacles, Iustitia could easily pass for a demon.

This may be due to the fact that those depicting the angel are filled beyond comprehension with awe at the sheer difficulty of encouraging justice in the world. Among Paradiso's Divine Will, there are those who believe that Iustitia is the closest of the Cardinal Virtues to hell.

Justice is said to be based upon rules established by man, to be followed by man, and changing one's viewpoint can lead to a change in what is evil. This uncertainty may be a manifestation of the existing folklore and depictions of Iustitia.

A Witch's Ultimate Weapon

At their peak, the secret arts of the Umbra Witches had advanced to the point they would give even today's modern science a run for its money.

Not many records remain of what the Umbra accomplished; most were lost in the Witch Hunts of the past. There are, however, still many wall paintings depicting what the Umbra were capable of.

On certain wall paintings, there are depictions of a gigantic jet-black warrior the witches would call forth in the middle of their most desperate battles. I guess you would call it... a robot? Still, it's not like the robots you see nowadays. These machines were like something straight out of a science fiction flick.

Considering it's a heavily armored powered suit for the Umbra, I guess "Umbran Armor" would be a good name for it, right? Similar to how the witches would control their Infernal Demons, Umbran Armor is manipulated by connecting the machine's framework with a witch's hair, using it as a catalyst for the magic power needed to move the armor like it was their own hands and feet.

Any witch that hopped into that iron suit could take down entire armies of angels in the blink of an eye. Sadly, that still wasn't enough to save their clan from elimination.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
That's a pretty great chapter. Good music too. And while I'm not fond of the reuse of the last game's bosses, at least they tried to vary them up with new attacks, at least.l

This enemy only appears in one of the cutscenes, but the concept art seems to hint that it was going to be fought at one stage.

Perhaps they decided that the other ship was enough.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
That is seriously my favorite level of Bayonetta 2. I'm kinda sad you just jump canceled everything.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I would've been disappointed with the jump-cancelling, but I was too busy giggling as bad as toddy was.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
Is it just me, or is the game audio really quiet after the first couple of seconds in all versions (both YouTube versions and both tracks of the download version) of the video?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

jaydee864 posted:

Is it just me, or is the game audio really quiet after the first couple of seconds in all versions (both YouTube versions and both tracks of the download version) of the video?

That's from autoducking the game audio so you can hear the commentary. If the game audio is too quiet, please let me know so I can fix it. I am terrible with judging audio levels so I'd like to avoid another instance where I get a load of comments saying it's hard to hear me like in my Dodge Offset video. I assumed that since the LP is now 15 updates in most people find it okay?

• Locked thread