Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Edit: Thought I was in a different thread I haven't slept gently caress you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Just so my only contribution isn't a mispost

The White Dragon posted:

thanks for the no-spoiler heads up, i was about to head in but now i'll be more cautious

It may not be as bad as you're thinking. There's a noncombat way to resolve the last part. I won't say any more because spoilers.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

frank.club posted:

hate to be a stupid fag but how do I get into defiance bay

Exit Caed Nua from the south, then you're at another wilderness location that I can't remember the name of. Follow the road there south and west and you're at the bridge that leads to Defiance Bay.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I'm not really enjoying Defiance Bay. Every time I do a quest, 10 more pop up and they're all "run to the other end of defiance bay and get into a fight type crap.

my advice is just not to do every single sidequest in Defiance Bay. it has the most sidequests of any area in the game. just do the ones you encounter easily and think your character would do. there's way more xp in this game than you need to hit the level cap.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

People in games have beaten this poo poo multiple times and I'm still in defiance Bay after playing for 40 hours.

I seriously think people are playing on easy and then lying about playing on easy for gamer cred

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

Eder killed the last boss for me after everyone else died, proving that he is the actual main character and I'm just a dumb pleb who helped him out.

Eder rules

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
that dude is pretty tough for a low level party. still not as tough as Raedric and pals

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the best companions are Eder, Durance, and Pallegina I think but I'm open to alternative opinions

Sagani is cool too but rangers are just not very useful

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Agean90 posted:

Aloth is 1/2 a cool character

the cool half isn't as cool without the uncool half

Ragg posted:

He's a fucker if he gets shield up and corrosive siphon on your party.

I think I finally just equipped everyone I could with guns and alpha'd him to like 1/3rd health, than bumrushed him with Eder knocking him over before he could heal

I can't remember what I did with the Raedric fight but it was all subtle positioning poo poo that made all the difference and I think I even used some traps

the combat in this game is good

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

frank.club posted:

I think the elf dude wants to do me

his pc lust will remain forever unrequited because Obsidian finds Bioware style romances creepy

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Maerwen or w/e?

Maerwald.

I am a Pillars of Eternity lore master, ask me anything.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
at high level bards can summon a loving drake and it owns

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Larry Parrish posted:

Ropekid is right.

I ain't gonna disagree with that

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Remember creepy cradle snatcher stalker elf In nwn2 lol

I still can't tell if Avellone was just phoning it in there or if that whole character was a deliberate joke

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

01011001 posted:

most of the nwn2 main campaign was phoned in hard so its probably that

there's apparently a big clusterfuck behind that game's development even by Obsidian standards but I can't remember the whole story

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SunAndSpring posted:

Wasn't that your only love interest too? loving lol. Thank god MOTB exists or people would never remember NWN 2

yeah. I think women got the boring Paladin dude voiced by the Space Marine Commander from Dawn of War

and hey at least NWN2 had a cool stronghold. every game should have a stronghold. tetris should have a stronghold

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Disco Infiva posted:

As I remember it, Ferret Baudoin was lead designer who jumped ship to Bioware several months before NWN2 release date, leaving the game as an unplayable mess. Sawyer took over and tried to save as much as he could.

That's kinda weird because vanilla NWN2 really feels a lot like a really mediocre Bioware game for like 2/3rds of it

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

01011001 posted:

they dont have much hp in general, its just that they have high deflection so theyre pretty hard to hit with weapons

This is the main problem with them for early game parties. The solution is to have some way to protect your backline damage dealers who aren't going against their deflection with their attacks (many of the solutions here presented are usefull for that), and to have poo poo boosting your accuracy and counter-acting all the poo poo they have that drains it (prayer against fear, the variety of paladin and priest spells/auras that increase accuracy, etc). Priests are awesome against shades.

Once again, Durance is best companion.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

just Owned the Endless Paths level 5 boss first time with hardly any health loss on my party but I'm still getting my rear end kicked by Sly Cydrel. wtf. is he there to be my own personal nemesis forever

that's weird because my experience was the exact opposite. guess it's down to how you build your characters

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
he owns actually

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I got greedy and beat the final boss and now I can't decide between going back to the pre-final area save (which is automatically made before you make the decision to go to the endgame, and has a very helpful 'PRE-ENDGAME' label applied to it, thanks Ropekid) and doing the poo poo I didn't do (which includes finishing optional dungeon and two companion quests) or just starting over with a new class

doesn't help that I hit level cap a good ways before the end and that kind of makes a lot of the stuff I haven't done feel empty even though logically it shouldn't

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Piss easy. I fought him at like level 4 and one cast of slick killed him.

slick is OP, the drake did nothing wrong

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I finished the game without ever trying slicken and was on complete information blackout for most of my time playing it, so I didn't discover until too late how OP slicken was

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
even if I had known, I wouldn't use it anyway. I game with honor

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
by the end I mostly used the druid dude because despite a good first impression, I ended up not liking Aloth that much and Druids are really good anyway

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
also stunning

Druids are OP to be honest but not hugely so outside of a couple of spells

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

I'm a chanter

let's all buy an apartment in Defiance Bay together

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I wonder what the tombstones will say now ........

I read two of them before realizing they weren't worth my time and I'll never understand how someone was trying so hard to be outraged that they meticulously went through every single one to find the one they got changed

unfortunately I read every backer NPC story I could find because I thought maybe they'd give me some kind of bonus for reading them all, so perhaps it is me who is the idiot

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
like 2 or 3 of them are yeah. but there's what, 50 of the things? most are pretty samey

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
1. get your front line engaging everything

2. move Aloth to the side of the whole formation

3. fan of flames

4. repeat

there, you're set for the first 8 levels. I mean you can do a lot more than that and you'll benefit from it, but that's all you really have to do.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
also focus down the Shades ASAP because they constantly summon more Shadows

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

cool biRd pics posted:

my count says 144

do you think they were naive enough to be surprised when 75% of them were fire or death godlikes

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I think there is actually but I can't remember what it's called. A goon made it though I think. Ask in the games thread, if you dare. Good luck, gamer.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

so the big text thing that pops up was written by the backers?

They gave Obsidian an outline of what they wanted to happen then Obsidian factory wrote them as well as they could

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

BBJoey posted:

the whole soul backstory thing would be a cool and great idea if they weren't written by 14 year old sonic fans/30 year old anime fans about their ~super original character don't steal~ killing lots of baddies and/or kissing lots of ladies

There's like three of them that are actually pretty cool and totally different from the others but I can't remember where they are or what they were. Just remember thinking "Oh hey, this is actually pretty creative and cool". To narrow it down, I think only one of them was a Godlike, and the Godlike one seemed like a deliberate parody of the kind of stuff they got for the rest of them.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I have played at least 40 and I'm still in definace bay. I load the game up a lot and then leave it on the menu screen tho.

The game length varies a ton depending on how you play it and the difficulty settings and everything else. I think minimum hours is like 35 and maximum is close to 100. Also Act 2 is the biggest act by a bunch so if you're trying to be really completionist it will take you forever

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
roll dice and randomly generate your PC

I actually never experienced any of the most widely reported bugs even before the patch but I guess I'm just lucky

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Black Baby Goku posted:

How many acts are there. Also the end of act 2 is epic

technically 4, but Act 4 is just the endgame dungeon and final boss. Act 2 is the biggest. Though most of the bounties are only available in Act 3, if you're into that (you should be, most of them are cool fights)

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
people that say 'rouge' instead of 'rogue' are the scum of the earth

01011001 posted:

you need someone with great mechanics to disarm them though

once again, Durance is the best companion

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
han stole all the good outfits

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Atleast Da:O had fun combat.

SunAndSpring posted:

God drat why is Pallegina such a boring loving retard. I'd rather hang out with that dull paladin from NWN 2 than her.
She gets at least one good scene much later on and her banter is pretty cool but yeah her main "stop and talk to her" conversations are pretty meh since they're almost all just backstory, and not Avellone backstory delivered in a cool way like Durance.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Neurosis posted:

durance is a oval office

this but without the animosity

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I cringe a bit when I see someone posting in the games thread telling people to make a full party of custom NPCs immediately on Hard because that's what the game is balanced around

I did the temple of Eothas and the Raedric fight my first time through with just me, Aloth, Eder, and Durance and only had to reload a few times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Games posters are bad at games (and life) but a full party of custom NPCs with a spare slot for Durance is the most fun way to play. Or maybe my broken brain just really loves character generation I guess

There's nothing wrong with making a custom party if that's how you want to play. Just do it because it's fun for you, not because you listened to advice from people who are bad at the game and think you need that level of micromanagement to win on hard

• Locked thread