Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Dungeon Fighter Online is back bitches!

That's right, after it got a bullet in the head by Nexon just about two years ago, DFO is back, this time brought to you by its original developer Neople. It is also no longer region locked! Welcome aboard, Euroscum!

What is Dungeon Fighter Online?

DFO is an online beat 'em up inspired most directly by Capcom's D&D arcade games. Take Shadows Over Mystara, add some more fighting game mechanics, slather some polish over the controls, multiply the content twenty-fold, add a ridiculous amount (something like forty) of completely unique classes, and spice with a small amount of Korean grind to taste, and you get DFO.

Where can I get it?

Right here! http://www.dfoneople.com/ No more Steam these days, sadly- we're firmly in Koreatown, now.

And just so you know, in case you're concerned about these things- the anticheat is Xigncode, which is a pretty effective anti-cheat, because it is basically a rootkit. It doesn't do anything unless it detects a reason to report on your machine, at which point it sends your active processes data to the anticheat server. Nobody has reported any suspicious or malignant activity from its use, but I figured some of you might not want that regardless.

The game's in beta. What's it like?

DFO is a totally feature-complete game. Neople have never published a game on their own before, so they are still working out some bugs with connections, anticheat, etc. The only stopgap to content right now is the rate of English translation, and when Neople decides to publish updates. All content through level 70 is available as of the time of open beta, with content through level 90, and some additional classes, yet to come.

I'm a returning player. What's new?

Tons! Depending on when you stopped playing DFO, you might find a hugely revamped loot and XP curve, new character classes, new features etc. 100% new as of this most recent iteration are:

-Metastasis! This is a total revamp of the game's content. New town, new characters, all new and updated zones.
-A new translation! Because of the above, a complete re-translation done by Neople was necessitated. There is no English VA (yet), but the English translation they did seems pretty solid so far.
-Free skill resets! At all times, no strings attached! No more sweating skill choices!
-Assists! Once you have a level 50 character on your account, you can designate them as a Marvel vs Capcom style assist move! Neat!
-New UI, new skill trees, new quest lines, new balance!
-Second awakenings! For most classes, at this point.
-Under new management! Goodbye Nexon, rest in piss!

Will I have my old characters if I played on Nexon DFO?

Nope. New company, new servers, new accounts. However, if you played in the Neople alpha test from last year, you can retrieve your alpha characters by connecting the Facebook account you used back then.

East or West server?

Most of us are located on the East coast server. This is where the goon guild is based, as well.

Is there a Goon guild?

The goon guild is Restraint. It's not run by me! You can join by opening the guild menu (semicolon key) and entering the guild name to send a request. It might be full! Guilds have a really small pop limit in DFO, so please only join as your main character. Request invites for your alts at the secondary guild, Gamer Girls.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Holy gently caress what class do I play?

Every class branches off into one of a number of advanced classes at level 15. The base class has access to a sampler of skills from different subclasses. Please be aware: While the male and female gunners differ only in small ways, such as having a few different skills or certain moves being faster/more damaging/etc, male and female fighters and mages are entirely different character classes. There are no bad classes in DFO, though some are better in PVP than others. Play whatever looks cool to you! You can roll up a new character and get them to class advancement in under 90 minutes.

For more information on subclasses, please see Mazzletoff's post here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3708485&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=21#post443473343

Can I use a gamepad with DFO?

Yes, and you should! The game supports gamepad control binding natively, but only in direct input- that means no analog triggers or pressure sensitive buttons. I personally use XPadder because I like to bind a ventrilo mic key, as well. You will find it a little better, overall. :siren: Note that any gamepad mapping software must be run in administrator mode to function in DFO. :siren: The most reliable version of XPadder is 5.7. Some players have found these custom drivers helpful: http://tinyurl.com/8b3s89z

What's with disassembling? Cubes? Materials?

You should be disassembling all blue rarity items (you can vendor whites), unless you plan to use them. This will produce cubes. Clear cubes are consumes to use high-level skills (this isn't really a limiting factor, honestly. You'll be swimming in 'em.) More importantly, colored cubes are used as quest turn-ins for several important quests. Hold on to them. Materials weigh next to nothing, so just keep them.

How frequent are respecs?

Whenever you feel like it, for free! We're living in a new generation!

I saw this guy on DFO Source saying-

Who cares? DFO fansites are pretty uniformly terrible. There's some good info sometimes, but it's very difficult to pick out from all the nonsense. Also, almost all DFO info is now outdated. Just ask here.

How do magic sealed items work?

The implementation of the magic seal system made getting decent equipment at any level much simpler. Essentially, magic sealed items are character-bound purple drops that are much more common than regular epics, and need to be identified Diablo-style. You can take two sealed magic sealed items and throw them in a machine Seria runs to create a random magic sealed item of the type of your choosing. This will basically always keep you in baseline purple gear with ease.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 8, 2015

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
You know what has surprised me about this game most of all? How good the graphics look. I swear DFO never looked this good before.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I took the old OP, removed inaccurate information, and added some info about the new version and other things I thought were pertinent. Let me know if I missed anything glaring.

Aquarium of Lies
Feb 5, 2005

sad cutie
:justtrans:

she/her
Taco Defender
We're also on SynIRC in #dfo, come hang out with us.

E: No mention of east vs west?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i need more homies in the oceanic sphere to play with, every time i join a random party i have like Red Danger Warning ping to everyone.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
So during ye olde Nexon DFO as well as the Alpha I played the F. Mage, going witch one time and battle mage the other time i think, but I just don't think its for me.

What's a good class for mostly soloing PvE that can keep that combo counter up and doesn't have to worry too much about juggling two dozen skills at once?

Also would the alpha rewards be tied to the characters I created during the alpha period or would I get them on a newly created character?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm playing a Necromancer this time around, I played Priest/Monk(I think) during the Nexeon days. It's pretty fun, the summons are useful, but you're not completely useless compared to them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cjIybsctl4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVyriT9J0HU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

AfroGunsou posted:

So during ye olde Nexon DFO as well as the Alpha I played the F. Mage, going witch one time and battle mage the other time i think, but I just don't think its for me.

What's a good class for mostly soloing PvE that can keep that combo counter up and doesn't have to worry too much about juggling two dozen skills at once?

Also would the alpha rewards be tied to the characters I created during the alpha period or would I get them on a newly created character?

Berserkeeeerrr

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Is there a free version of Xpadder that works with Windows 7? Tried 5.0 and 5.3 but no luck.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I'm sitting here, with 0 fatigue on both characters, but I still want to play - curse you, Neople! :argh:

Yote
Jan 5, 2002
Requesting a guild invite on xHiram.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm sitting here, with 0 fatigue on both characters, but I still want to play - curse you, Neople! :argh:

Same

Bilun
Sep 22, 2009
Is fatigue rollover 9:00 UTC like beta release?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

I had assumed I could only create two characters, since that's what everyone had been saying, but it just let me create a third, huh. Maybe the emergency maintenence reset the character limit?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
May want to throw into the OP that Seria sells colored cube fragments for a conversion ratio of 5 clear cube fragments for 1 colored cube fragment.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Berserkeeeerrr

an answer this confident must be correct

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

Just created a Female mage that I'm hoping to specialize into a Summoner - so I named her LotsaPets.

Hopefully the Thief -> Necromancer route wasn't a better way to lots of pets, but I suppose I can try that eventually too.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

AfroGunsou posted:

an answer this confident must be correct

Berserker wields a regular sword and a sword made out of blood. The gimmick of the class is that the lower your HP and DEF are, the more damage you do. You gain buffs to have greater control over these levels. Basically, you hit like a god damned mack truck with your physical attack chain. Not hugely dependent on lots of skills, but has some really good ones. When you kill bleeding enemies, you gain free health.

If you're looking for more combo-intensive, technical juggling gameplay, weapon master is the way to go. Not a ton of skills, but really fast attack speed, different attack traits depending on weapon type, and huge combo potential. Plus lightsabers.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Restrain yourself Glam.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Okay, wow, the dark knight skill tree is intimidating as gently caress. :stare:

How the hell do you build these guys?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So there probably won't be a character wipe at this point?

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Spirt... willing to play 3rd character... but hands are broken...

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Anatharon posted:

So there probably won't be a character wipe at this point?

Definitely not.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think I applied to the guild as "Coolgunnings."

fadam fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 25, 2015

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Berserker wields a regular sword and a sword made out of blood. The gimmick of the class is that the lower your HP and DEF are, the more damage you do. You gain buffs to have greater control over these levels. Basically, you hit like a god damned mack truck with your physical attack chain. Not hugely dependent on lots of skills, but has some really good ones. When you kill bleeding enemies, you gain free health.

If you're looking for more combo-intensive, technical juggling gameplay, weapon master is the way to go. Not a ton of skills, but really fast attack speed, different attack traits depending on weapon type, and huge combo potential. Plus lightsabers.

these both sound pretty good so i guess i'll have to see which way im leaning once i hit level 15.
will i want to run into the fray with reckless abandon with my crazy blood sword or will the sirens song of hanzo steel sway me. only time will tell

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Where is female slayer MODS mods mods?!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I really wish the anti-cheat program would tell me what it was finding suspicious. It just closes the game and is like 'Yup. Something's bad. Whatever.'

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Played my brawler that I made like a year ago just now, still throws bricks and sand at people, still owns.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Looking forward to making an Avenger and being all angsty and evil-except-trying-really-hard-not-to-be. Probably one of the Nen masters once Avenger runs dry on FP, but I'm not sure which gender I'd prefer. Male's generally more aggressive, right? What does he gain in trade for having a lovely Nen Guard?

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Gorelab posted:

I really wish the anti-cheat program would tell me what it was finding suspicious. It just closes the game and is like 'Yup. Something's bad. Whatever.'

Got any weird monitoring tools installed? Xign was going nuts over Netlimiter for me. Had to uninstall it completely for it to shut up.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Man these new areas are really drat nice. That mushroom place that's basically the remnants of North Myre reminds me of The Last of Us since all the enemies there have been infected by spores and turned into mushrooms. And there's a goddamn easy access shop/repair/disassembler right by the dungeon entrances!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Made a punchmans priest named StaaPlachina and now that I'm out of FP I can safely say that I love being a Jojo. Mostly just played as a launcher in Nexon DFO, where there's not a whole lot of chaining attacks together, especially with how slow handcannons are.

Bilun
Sep 22, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Looking forward to making an Avenger and being all angsty and evil-except-trying-really-hard-not-to-be. Probably one of the Nen masters once Avenger runs dry on FP, but I'm not sure which gender I'd prefer. Male's generally more aggressive, right? What does he gain in trade for having a lovely Nen Guard?

His Nenguard isn't lovely-just different. Rather then being a bunker think of it as an on demand perfect block(it's activation time is instant and can be canceled into) that additionally provides you a small window to guarantee you get a chance to counter by starting a combo. They can also cancel into Roar, which is nice. And their Energy Shield when used right is better, albiet shorter range.

In general the main difference is range- Male Nenes are going to be much closer and less supporty. That said they are still not constant toe to toe classes-lots of running around and needing to choose the right moments to get into melee range to attack. Spiral Nen Press is a big part of male nen gameplay-poking from mid range until the right moment to get in close arises. Also in terms of feel where female Nen can sort of hang back among dopplegangers leisurely firing off nen shots from inside nenguard Male nens generally have to make constant use of all of their low cd tools.

Bilun fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 25, 2015

Somefool
Feb 17, 2011

Pro tip: Hold Ctrl to select multiple items to disassemble.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Avenger changes are incredible. Metamorphosis has thus far mulched anything I've used it on, although I'm admittedly not very far yet. Still, having a flip out button is a lot of fun.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Is anyone else also having trouble connecting to all of the 1-18 level channels?

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Does anyone have the picture of a funeral with a picture of MBrawler inside it? I can't find it in the other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Got a m.nen to 18 and a creator to 16. Creator, I think I got hit once the whole time? drat she's OP for the early levels.

Looks like the server reset did reset your character creation limit. If you made two before their maintenance, you can make two more now.

• Locked thread