Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Darkrenown posted:

I have found it easy enough to get more reason, but the things to get more health or passion seem to be rewarded very randomly, are time-limited, and you need two, so I have not managed it yet.

Easy way to get an extra Health: Working with Health Gives you Endurance and the 180 seconds are enough to get an extra one. Probably works with Passion, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I have found it easy enough to get more reason, but the things to get more health or passion seem to be rewarded very randomly, are time-limited, and you need two, so I have not managed it yet.

Basically the early game revolves around just learning the game and probably failing several times. When you lose, you have the option of starting as another archetype, for example you always have the physician available when you die or go insane as a loss condition. The new starts have certain benefits to them, the physician being one of the easier ones starts with a job that pays 2 funds and never expires on you, he also starts with 3 reason.

If you want to increase your early stats then study is a 100% source of the base stats. Studying health gives vitality, passion gives glimmering and reason gives erudition. Everything else is best found with experimentation and patience.

Edit: It's a card game at its core and the combinations of cards you put into the verbs determine which 'decks' you draw from. Once you get familiar with those decks and what comes from where the game goes a lot smoother.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jun 1, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

cock hero flux posted:

I fondly recall some dev diary thing failbetter put out about sunless sea where it is readily apparent that the concept of having you drive the ship around and shoot things was completely foreign to them and the guy who suggested it to them was looked upon as some sort of mad genius when they discovered that programming what was basically very slow paced asteroids was something they could actually do.

You mean when they changed from a turn based tactical combat system to the terrible real time asteroids style one?

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Darkrenown posted:

If you toss any of the three base stats in the study you get one of the upgrade cards. 0% chance of failure that I have seen. Working with the skill you get from upgrading passion and health also gives you upgrade cards, though passion is really random, sometimes giving you up to 3, sometimes none.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It's true that the Cultist Simulator is pretty obscure and its UI is atrocious. It's like one of the protagonists designed it. Later in the game, the table looks like a mess, cards lying everywhere, while you are trying to find this loving Moth Lore aspect you need for the ritual and you could swear you had seen it a while ago. Clicking on the empty field highlights the cards that can actually go there, which is a huge help, but the game doesn't tell you at all. There is a lot of trial and error involved, especially when trying to use rituals.

But it's really, really worth it. It's pretty much That Which Sleeps on a lower scale. The game really lets you feel like you are a mundane guy who got a glimpse of higher reality and become obsessed with it.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
This is the thread that never dies, which fits.

Ok so cultist simulator, are the problems per say something patches could iron out or is it intrinsic?

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

Gantolandon posted:

The game really lets you feel like you are a mundane guy who got a glimpse of higher reality and become obsessed with it.

Those are hobos, not cultists.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

A. Beaverhausen posted:

This is the thread that never dies, which fits.

Ok so cultist simulator, are the problems per say something patches could iron out or is it intrinsic?

Maybe neither? I have the impression it's something you'll find fun at its core, or something you'll bounce right off of. The "problems" I'd say are that the core gameplay loop is just placing cards in slots to start, stop or reset timers, and that the game is deliberately very vague about how to play it. The latter is something just playing it will iron out, the former is something that's not going to change if you don't find it fun.

I played about with it for a few hours, but have come to the conclusion I just don't like plate-spinning card games, even one you can pause. A shame because I've liked pretty much every other one of Kennedy's games and was looking forward to this.

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
Anyone figured out how to use the rituals to summon stuff? Not the rites, but the ones that involve a corpse to summon a creature. I can't figure it out, feel like its obvious but can't find it.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Gantolandon posted:

It's true that the Cultist Simulator is pretty obscure and its UI is atrocious. It's like one of the protagonists designed it. Later in the game, the table looks like a mess, cards lying everywhere, while you are trying to find this loving Moth Lore aspect you need for the ritual and you could swear you had seen it a while ago. Clicking on the empty field highlights the cards that can actually go there, which is a huge help, but the game doesn't tell you at all. There is a lot of trial and error involved, especially when trying to use rituals.
:aaaaa: While they're trying for the vague discovery thing, not mentioning that in a tooltip or something is criminal.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

If the game had a tutorial of any kind, you could turn off the timers Okay, maybe adjust them with a difficulty setting. A bit more polish on card organisation, I reckon it would be decent. As it stands now, it's just too unfriendly to the casual person who isn't already a fan of the whole eldritch horror theme.

Right now I'm trying to work out how the hell to learn languages to translate stuff. Finding all these awesome books, but no idea how to read them. :psyduck:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

limited posted:

Right now I'm trying to work out how the hell to learn languages to translate stuff. Finding all these awesome books, but no idea how to read them. :psyduck:

There are books that will teach you Greek and Latin, you just gotta find those. Yeah, you're pretty much in the hand of RNG on that one.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ also you need to first study the language primer, THEN translate the foreign language book, THEN read the now translated book. I thought at first you'd just study them together like when you study 2 bits of lore.

Demiurge4 posted:

If you want to increase your early stats then study is a 100% source of the base stats. Studying health gives vitality, passion gives glimmering and reason gives erudition.

For some reason studying health or passion never occurred to me. I knew studying reason gave erudition, but that seemed logical to me, study with reason. Huh. Thanks!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Okay I have crippling 'did I gently caress up' which I know discovery is a part of the game and all, but is studying the base values something you do before the stuff you get at the start? Like what the old man gives you

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

What is going on here holy poo poo

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Coolguye posted:

sentinels of the multiverse is a very fun co-op card game

and gently caress YOU if you want to play it in real life, the rules are a loving mess and i will let a computer keep track of it for me any day of the month

What? Like, Sentinels has literally two pages of rules. The rules are very simple, and any confusion caused by the complex rules can be cleared up with 5-10 clarifications/explanations, and then like twenty specific cards are a bit unclear, which is a very good ratio compared to basically every other card game out there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah okay let me just remember to apply both of Legacy’s power ups, baron blade’s living force field, and twist the ether to keep it from hitting his elemental redistributer and ok there we go that’s fine

oh wait I forgot that there was a trigger waiting for 3 or more damage to a villain target on the environment and that means

WAIT BUT IT DOESNT MATTER BECAUSE WE CAN REDIRECT IT TO TACHYON BY USING WRAITH’S SMOKE BOMBS AND THEN KILL THE SOURCE BY REDIRECTING IT FURTHER USING SYNAPTIC INTERRUPTION

gently caress’s sake just give me a computer to present this poo poo logically already

not to mention keeping track of HP

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
The cultist simulator sounds more fun.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

radical card anarchy: a pog is a card

having pondered this question I have come to an answer: pogs ARE cards, but slammers ARE NOT cards

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Ynglaur posted:

I'm having a fair bit of fun with it, maddening as it is.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

sentinels is super fun but playing it without a computer involved is a serious loving drag

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Cultist simulator: Working overtime every day to fuel my crippling demon summoning addiction

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Tellaris posted:

Working overtime every day to fuel my crippling demon summoning addiction
But enough about Megami Tensei.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Coolguye posted:

sentinels is super fun but playing it without a computer involved is a serious loving drag

If only the sentinels computer game didn't require everyone to have bought an expansion to use it. One of you only has the base game? Hope you didn't want to use 90% of the decks you've bought!

gently caress handelabra.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is this the Cultist Simulator thread? Is there a Cultist Simulator thread? Holy poo poo I played for 14 hours before figuring out that (spoiler about game mechanics) you perform Rites using the Work square, there’s no separate Rite square aaaaaaaaaaaaa

It rules, I love this game.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Well, That Which Sleeps sure isn't giving us the eldritch-themed fun we were interested in all those years ago! :eng101:

:eng99:

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

Is this the Cultist Simulator thread? Is there a Cultist Simulator thread? Holy poo poo I played for 14 hours before figuring out that (spoiler about game mechanics) you perform Rites using the Work square, there’s no separate Rite square aaaaaaaaaaaaa

It rules, I love this game.

How much you enjoy Cultist Simulator will depend entirely on how you feel about this spoiler btw. Working out the mechanics is the entire game.

[Edit] As a game Cultist Simulator ain't very good. As a simulation it's a massive, flying colours success.

It's maddeningly obtuse, agonisingly grindy and I'm going to keep slamming my head against it on and off for weeks. It's got the same masochistic appeal as an old school adventure game.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 2, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Multiple times in those 14 hours I figured out how to do something and then got distracted and forgot it, so I’ve started keeping notes, and I’m 100% down with how well having a bunch of weird scribbled notes on my desk dovetails with the game itself. I’m in love with this game even though I would love to rearrange the UI at least so that the action squares have a dedicated place and you have fixed piles for your stats.

simmering
Nov 12, 2017
My problem is I can't increase my stats until I get more aspect:advancement. except i have no idea what that is, how to gain it, or even how i tell how much i have.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Darkrenown posted:

^^^ also you need to first study the language primer, THEN translate the foreign language book, THEN read the now translated book. I thought at first you'd just study them together like when you study 2 bits of lore.
I found out just today that certain characters will tutor you, but they use other payment besides regular funds. Put the tutor ( Mine was a patron ) into the study box, and you pay them with Spintria, not regular funds.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Theswarms posted:

If only the sentinels computer game didn't require everyone to have bought an expansion to use it. One of you only has the base game? Hope you didn't want to use 90% of the decks you've bought!

gently caress handelabra.

yes this is the dumbest thing

"gee howdy i don't want our poo poo to get TOO successful and let TOO MANY PEOPLE have fun and pay us money that would just be the end of everything!"

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Coolguye posted:

yes this is the dumbest thing

"gee howdy i don't want our poo poo to get TOO successful and let TOO MANY PEOPLE have fun and pay us money that would just be the end of everything!"

But mobile players might run out of space!

The actual literal excuse they give.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Theswarms posted:

But mobile players might run out of space!

The actual literal excuse they give.

the only thing worse than being dumb is being dumb and then lying about it

woah i just made an on-topic post this is not ok

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
Man, you mean to tell me this cool looking game is stuck in dev hell? That sucks.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

simmering posted:

My problem is I can't increase my stats until I get more aspect:advancement. except i have no idea what that is, how to gain it, or even how i tell how much i have.

The Erudition, Glimmering and Endurance (?) cards have Aspect: advancement. Study or work with Hearth, Reason or Passion

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

simmering posted:

Fat Samurai posted:

The Erudition, Glimmering and Endurance (?) cards have Aspect: advancement. Study or work with Hearth, Reason or Passion

For example, Working with Health gives a Vitality card with a three-minute timer, and Studying with two Vitality gives another permanent Health and a Skill (Well-Muscles or somesuch) you can use to Work with Health faster. You can get another Health by Studying with the Skill and four Vitality... but it takes 55 seconds to Work with Health (with your new Skill), so you can only get three during the three-minute timer on the Vitality cards. You'll need to get a fourth in that span of time in some other way. Exploring the town, Dreaming with Health (or sometimes with Reason), visiting the Wood...

And back on Sentinelschat, I actually find the in-person experience flows a lot better than the digital version. Sure, the cyberversion has the advantage of never messing up a rule or forgetting about something, but there's plenty of rules that are a lot more cumbersome. Twist The Ether is probably the biggest offender here, since it has to ask you every single time the person deals damage, but there's a lot of other things that are just awkward in the digital format but completely smooth in the physical format.

Dunno about the problem with keeping track of health, Coolguye, the game comes with a ton of damage counters. You add or remove tokens, it's literally the simplest method of keeping track of damage possible. (I THINK the game wants you to add tokens until you hit someone's HP value, but I prefer to add a big pile and take them away as they get hit; easier to feel like you're making progress that way, and the dwindling pile of HP tokens on your side makes things a but more tense. It's also not hard at all to 'remember' your three damage buffs or whatever, since even if you're the kind of person who has trouble with remembering that you're dealing +3 (which is actually a very rare event, bonuses to damage are hard to come by so +3 is going to come up maybe 5% of the time unless Legacy's around), the game again comes with descriptive cardboard tokens. Put 3 big rectangular +1 to damage tokens by your character card, and you're good.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

John Lee posted:

Dunno about the problem with keeping track of health, Coolguye, the game comes with a ton of damage counters. You add or remove tokens, it's literally the simplest method of keeping track of damage possible.
that you have to shuffle around literally dozens of times per round - multiple dozens if you are fighting someone who hits and heals a lot, like Plague Rat or Iron Legacy. and god forbid you have something like Forced Deployment or a lot of the Citizens of the Sun come out (either from Citizen Dawn's early draw or Return with the Dawn firing), you will be there multiple minutes just resolving a villain turn. i'll take holding the left mouse button in the fast forward key for 10 seconds any day of the week, thanks.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 2, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

Coolguye posted:

that you have to shuffle around literally dozens of times per round - multiple dozens if you are fighting someone who hits and heals a lot, like Plague Rat or Iron Legacy. and god forbid you have something like Forced Deployment or a lot of the Citizens of the Sun come out (either from Citizen Dawn's early draw or Return with the Dawn firing), you will be there multiple minutes just resolving a villain turn. i'll take holding the left mouse button in the fast forward key for 10 seconds any day of the week, thanks.

Flippant response: I've discovered the problem, you're incredibly, colossally slow at the game.

But I AM honestly confused as to how you think it's so slow. Like, it's quite rare for a villain turn to take more than a minute when me and my buddies play, unless things are getting really hairy and some discussion needs to be done. "Alright, he plays... okay, a Scion of Frost. poo poo, it's another healing one. That means we get rid of another Scion, I assume the healing one that was already on the board?" *sounds of general agreement* "Alright, and then the standard two damage to everybody, (*everyone chucks a couple of tokens into the pool*) aaaand that makes it Wraith's turn. Whatcha got?"

Or, let's say Forced Deployment came out: "poo poo. gently caress. That's not good. Alright, so that means, in order: Two damage to the lowest (*Bunker pushes a couple HP away from him*), two MORE damage to the lowest (*tokens*), one to everybody (*tokens), three damage to the highest and you can't deal damage next turn (*The Scholar shrugs and takes one damage because of his armor and pulls a YOU CAN'T DEAL DAMAGE marker to himself*), and one more to everybody. Uh, sorry, Bunker."

Bunker: "Ah, poo poo. Maybe I'll play one of the variants with actual HP next time."

Each step takes 3-5 seconds. Like, are you playing five-person games all by yourself, trying to keep everything in mind at once and looking at your collective hands all at once?

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Just noticed the description on the expeditions changes as you add more of a trait to them.

Went to loot a old guy's house, and butted heads with his security. It basically went from :ohdear: Might come out about even here... to :unsmigghh: MURDERFRENZY! when I added my murder-machine disciple to it, who may, or may not have burnt the house down while escaping just to be a dick. :haw:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

limited posted:

Just noticed the description on the expeditions changes as you add more of a trait to them.

Went to loot a old guy's house, and butted heads with his security. It basically went from :ohdear: Might come out about even here... to :unsmigghh: MURDERFRENZY! when I added my murder-machine disciple to it, who may, or may not have burnt the house down while escaping just to be a dick. :haw:

Lucky you, I havent come across a thug pr follower with enough edge to do poo poo. Thankfully I got the chance to hire a moth aspected lackey and somehow they got rid of some damning evidence. gently caress you are rng's bitch in CS.

It's like an onion though and I want tHE LIGHT to Pierce throuGHto find out what's under here.

Alexis' writing is so good but it's always behind some weird gameplay barriers.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Expeditions are another thing that are a really big part of the game, but that it took me hours to properly figure out. And even then you’re still subject to the whims of the RNG.

• Locked thread