Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I spend so much time in the early game farming up basic stats and followers. There's really no point to doing expeditions until you have a few disciples worth 5+ points. The level 1 expeditions don't hurt your guys (generally) but they take forever if you're not rolling high.

That said it's nice that you can get minor victories once you get past the stag door. I've been through the peacock door only once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I've gotten past the stag door once, but alas fascination spilled out super fast and i didn't manage to dream dread in the time i had for exactly one reason dream and i couldn't try to spook a hunter to get some dread because they started their investigation at the same time

i think i'm done for a patch or two, you go from zero to loving dead very fast and that game had been going for a couple hours when it happened (i had cleared all six city expeditions and a shire one goddamnit)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yeah the dreams are something else giving me problems. My first game I got like three dream destinations back to back. But I never figured out the stag door riddle. This round, I just got The Woods and now it opens a map I never saw in my first game to give me the choice of some cards.

E: I'm kind of fond of the discovery and how that fits the theme, but can things do the same things sometimes?

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 3, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I spent a couple hours trying to figure out the stag door riddle but it’s another thing that’s peak Cultist Simulator in that you just have to read all the words and try things that seem like they might work.

E: when I finally got it I was like “ohhhhhhhhhhh of course”

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I won Cultist Simulator on my second character. I played as the detective charged with investigating the death of my previous character, suppressed the poo poo out of those ominous occult dreams, got plenty of fresh air and exercise to get swole, kept up on my reading and studies to build up my reason, read poetry in my spare time, and doggedly pursued the case I was assigned to tackle, until I got enough evidence for an arrest and reeled them in. I then got promoted and won the game, without ever having learned a single scrap of occult lore.

I played Cultist Simulator as a completely and relentlessly normal dude and won

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The fact theres a win condition for it is pretty cool, not gonna lie

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Isn’t there also a “win condition” for just plugging away at Glover & Glover and similarly never pursuing any occult stuff? I think I remember reading about them implementing that.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Radar posted:

Isn’t there also a “win condition” for just plugging away at Glover & Glover and similarly never pursuing any occult stuff? I think I remember reading about them implementing that.

Yep! Once you get promoted to a senior position you can plug Passion into the Acceptance slot and give up on your dreams

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I love love love Cultist Simulator and will probably do an OP if nobody else does. The core gameplay loop dopamine reward is learning the new lore so it seems like it won’t have massive replayability once you have hit the upper levels but it does mean it’s worth not spoiling it too much.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The bad part about sentinels is that, for 85% of the characters, your best moves each turn are obvious, and makes the game drat boring.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

The most important thing to know about the expedition is that adding funds does jack poo poo except making it longer. If you fail a challenge and want to actually pass it, you need to add a follower. Otherwise don't bother, let it end and come later when you have enough of appropriate aspect.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Lucky you, I havent come across a thug pr follower with enough edge to do poo poo. Thankfully I got the chance to hire a moth aspected lackey and somehow they got rid of some damning evidence. gently caress you are rng's bitch in CS.

It's like an onion though and I want tHE LIGHT to Pierce throuGHto find out what's under here.

Alexis' writing is so good but it's always behind some weird gameplay barriers.
Generally as a rule of thumb you just have to find a hireling of at least 5 points to stand a reasonable chance of doing anything. Anything lower is basically supposed to add onto a expedition as the chances of succeeding doing whatever are arse.

You're definitely at the RNG's mercy though. Apparently founding a cult based on knowledge attracts a small army of bloodthirsty murderers, as I keep getting nothing but Edge minions instead of more useful traits. :psyduck:

Plus I've got a investigator on my board who's basically immune to attacks from thugs AND monsters, assuming I figure out how to summon one. There's probably something you can do / show them by talking at the cult, but I've come up blank so far. I was kind of hoping showing them some Dread would make them go nuts in true eldritch horror style. :unsmigghh:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I managed to summon a Raw Prophet... and it seems pretty useless. I tried talking to it a few times, but it refused to chat with me about anything so it just sat around until its timer expired and it went back to wherever it came from. I thought dragging an alien god to earth would have been more fruitful. Some time later I got 3 stacks of Fasination without noticing and either I forgot how to get Dread or the RNG was against that result and I went mad. At least I painted some nice pictures.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

I managed to summon a Raw Prophet... and it seems pretty useless. I tried talking to it a few times, but it refused to chat with me about anything so it just sat around until its timer expired and it went back to wherever it came from. I thought dragging an alien god to earth would have been more fruitful. Some time later I got 3 stacks of Fasination without noticing and either I forgot how to get Dread or the RNG was against that result and I went mad. At least I painted some nice pictures.

Summons are used for various things but primarily they're for expeditions. Summoned minions don't decay while being used in a verb so if you're cycling several expeditions at once you can keep it around for a long time.

As for the Raw Prophet, it's got 10 moth which means it will always 100% beat a moth challenge and it can be used to destroy evidence.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i got horny last night so i bought cultist simulator and, uh, wow, this...this isn't a game at all, is it?

i mean, i'm the kind of person who'll give $20 to a dog if it looks nervous, so i guess i'm not above keeping alexis kennedy on the dole, but man alive that guy really needs to be an employee and not a boss. with proper management, he's great (see horizon signal, for example), but left to his own devices he just makes blenders for people's dicks. the buttons have interesting labels, at least.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s a plate spinning game but the “game” aspect takes second fiddle to the “Simulator” part of it, I bought in to it 100% and I’m enjoying it a lot, but I fully understand bouncing off of it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I keep evangelizing to my friends about this game and I’ve gotten one of them to pick it up, he also loves it

simmering
Nov 12, 2017

John Lee posted:

For example, Working with Health gives a Vitality card with a three-minute timer, and Studying with two Vitality gives another permanent Health and a Skill (Well-Muscles or somesuch) you can use to Work with Health faster. You can get another Health by Studying with the Skill and four Vitality... but it takes 55 seconds to Work with Health (with your new Skill), so you can only get three during the three-minute timer on the Vitality cards. You'll need to get a fourth in that span of time in some other way. Exploring the town, Dreaming with Health (or sometimes with Reason), visiting the Wood...
Thanks for your help, but my problem is I have the glimmering/vitality/erudition, my problem is I put 2 say erudition into study, but the start button is still grayed out, i think bc I require more aspect advancement? Maybe I've just advanced my stats as high as they can go.

Reading this thread has made me realise I needd to bounce off it a bit more tho, I haven't even discovered the expeditions mechanic yet.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

limited posted:

Plus I've got a investigator on my board who's basically immune to attacks from thugs AND monsters, assuming I figure out how to summon one. There's probably something you can do / show them by talking at the cult, but I've come up blank so far. I was kind of hoping showing them some Dread would make them go nuts in true eldritch horror style. :unsmigghh:

Use Winter or Lantern lore on them

Using Winter on your Adversary is also a great way to get Despair if you've got too much Fascination

Tehan fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 3, 2018

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Were the last 100 posts not actually joke posts.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

simmering posted:

Thanks for your help, but my problem is I have the glimmering/vitality/erudition, my problem is I put 2 say erudition into study, but the start button is still grayed out, i think bc I require more aspect advancement? Maybe I've just advanced my stats as high as they can go.

Reading this thread has made me realise I needd to bounce off it a bit more tho, I haven't even discovered the expeditions mechanic yet.

Ah. You can only advance a stat once with two Advancements; after that, you need to Study with the Skill you gained, and more Advancements. Two Vitality makes an extra Health, and that's the last bonus Health you'll get with a mere two.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Decrepus posted:

Were the last 100 posts not actually joke posts.

They are talking about this game.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I have *things* to say about Cultist Simulator, but I guess I will wait if someone is going to make a proper thread.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

John Lee posted:

Flippant response: I've discovered the problem, you're incredibly, colossally slow at the game.

But I AM honestly confused as to how you think it's so slow. Like, it's quite rare for a villain turn to take more than a minute when me and my buddies play, unless things are getting really hairy and some discussion needs to be done. "Alright, he plays... okay, a Scion of Frost. poo poo, it's another healing one. That means we get rid of another Scion, I assume the healing one that was already on the board?" *sounds of general agreement* "Alright, and then the standard two damage to everybody, (*everyone chucks a couple of tokens into the pool*) aaaand that makes it Wraith's turn. Whatcha got?"

Or, let's say Forced Deployment came out: "poo poo. gently caress. That's not good. Alright, so that means, in order: Two damage to the lowest (*Bunker pushes a couple HP away from him*), two MORE damage to the lowest (*tokens*), one to everybody (*tokens), three damage to the highest and you can't deal damage next turn (*The Scholar shrugs and takes one damage because of his armor and pulls a YOU CAN'T DEAL DAMAGE marker to himself*), and one more to everybody. Uh, sorry, Bunker."

Bunker: "Ah, poo poo. Maybe I'll play one of the variants with actual HP next time."

Each step takes 3-5 seconds. Like, are you playing five-person games all by yourself, trying to keep everything in mind at once and looking at your collective hands all at once?

i mean i dunno how you come across your own example and not come away with "man this is gonna be a moment!" especially since you only came away with 4 dudes from a FD and that implies it fired on, like, Voss's second turn total due to his primary minion draw. FD alone will routinely deploy like 8-10 assholes if it comes out midway through murdering voss, and the best thing you can hope for at that point is something like Visionary's psychic maelstrom that will knock out 5 of the assholes before they can get a turn - which, in and of itself, will require more resolution and more shifting of chits to keep up with the ones that survived.

this is compared to, firstly, any other card game, which will quickly dispense with the chit counting on 95% of everything and require a quick comparison to see if something died, rather than constant mental math or shifting of tokens around, and secondly, just using the computer, where you can trust the thing that handles literal trillions of operations per second to do the math correctly while you skip to the punch line of the next turn or the next actual decision to be made.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I love love love Cultist Simulator and will probably do an OP if nobody else does. The core gameplay loop dopamine reward is learning the new lore so it seems like it won’t have massive replayability once you have hit the upper levels but it does mean it’s worth not spoiling it too much.

Please do game is good.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Yes please, a thread would be great, and this great monster can slumber once more until another cult/horrors from the void game comes out

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I maintain that this thread is the proper place to discuss Cultist Simulator.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
What are we going to use it for otherwise?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Fat Samurai posted:

The game in the thread title that's gonna comhahahahha

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
That's just going to confuse new people.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think we should change the title of this thread and just pretend like it's the thread for the new game. Confusing people is very much in the spirit of these types of games.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Fat Samurai posted:

Discussing completely unrelated trivia re: Sentinels of the Multiverse, apparently.

Coolguye posted:

i mean i dunno how you come across your own example and not come away with "man this is gonna be a moment!" especially since you only came away with 4 dudes from a FD and that implies it fired on, like, Voss's second turn total due to his primary minion draw. FD alone will routinely deploy like 8-10 assholes if it comes out midway through murdering voss, and the best thing you can hope for at that point is something like Visionary's psychic maelstrom that will knock out 5 of the assholes before they can get a turn - which, in and of itself, will require more resolution and more shifting of chits to keep up with the ones that survived.

I mean, it was just a quick 'n dirty example. Sure, FD is likely to bring out more than four enemies, but I figured my point would remain clear. The bolded bit really stands out, though; it's the work of again, maybe three to five seconds to say "Alright, that's three damage to all enemies, which means only these two survived." "Don't forget that guy, he's got 1 DR. "Right, thanks, Josh." and then sweep most of the cards into the discard. You don't have to laboriously do every single calculation in most instances.

Coolguye posted:

this is compared to, firstly, any other card game, which will quickly dispense with the chit counting on 95% of everything and require a quick comparison to see if something died, rather than constant mental math or shifting of tokens around

I mean, you quite often just dispense with the chit counting anyway. With the villains, sure, you generally always have to take the one or two seconds it takes to touch a physical object with your real-life hands, but it's basically the same amount of effort it takes to click a couple times or watch the short animation of a health bar going down. I feel like the goalposts have shifted a bit here from "It's a pain in the rear end to track a bunch of different complex effects" to "It's a pain in the rear end to constantly remove health from things." I disagree with both, but they're pretty different arguments.

And, understand, I'm not knocking the digital version at all; it's great, I love to play it, and the automation does make some things less tedious . But it also makes some things MORE of a pain, and the things it helps with weren't that bad at all, to my way of thinking. I don't think anyone who plans to play the game with others should be pushed away from the physical version, because it's just not especially tedious. Definitely on the lower end of boardgames, in my moderate experience.

(The digital version also has really good music for the different environments, particularly for my favorite area. "The Enclaaaaaaaaaave of the Endleeeeeess. ... *heavy theremin*")

edit: Lol it's Enclave of the Endlings, can't believe I briefly misremembered the home of my self-destructive best pal Orbo

John Lee fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 4, 2018

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah. I like how this thread has become a notice board for games dealing with this kind of thing, but anyone actually looking for Cultist Simulator is either never going to find this or balk at the 100+ page thread full of crap.

simmering
Nov 12, 2017

John Lee posted:

Ah. You can only advance a stat once with two Advancements; after that, you need to Study with the Skill you gained, and more Advancements. Two Vitality makes an extra Health, and that's the last bonus Health you'll get with a mere two.

Thank you! this helped a lot.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
someone described this game to me as a mobage and holy poo poo they are right.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

someone described this game to me as a mobage and holy poo poo they are right.

"The Veil of the world has fallen, and horror stares at you: it's a mobage."
Influence. Moth 3. Grail 6.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 3, 2018

Tellaris
Dec 23, 2005

Cat On Rope Entertainment: Random comments since 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

"The Veil of the world has fallen, and horror stares at you: it's a mobage."
Influence. 3 Moth. 6 Grail.

Think that should be lantern instead of grail. Moth fits due to deceit, but grail is pleasure and such versus lantern being the knowledge

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tellaris posted:

Think that should be lantern instead of grail. Moth fits due to deceit, but grail is pleasure and such versus lantern being the knowledge

Working as intended.
God knows most mobages are more focused to... pleasures, of the flesh. <insert animu girl in bikini here>

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think the design for cultists is fundamentally awful. Since it's just a check between 1-10 based on their influences, a believer has a 20% chance to clear an obstacle, a disciple has 50% chance and an exalted follower has 100% chance. The problem with this is that the cost of failure is often just losing your cultist. This isn't always true, level 1 expeditions are generally harmless and certain jobs like getting rid of notoriety tend to be harmless if failed, but send a guy to kidnap or murder a victim and there's a good chance of death when they fail.

So if you have a pair of lantern disciples they will together always defeat that obstacle but it just encourages and extends the early game grinding phase because you end up not wanting to commit to expeditions with anything less than 10 total influences. Summons help because they often have more than 5 and will handily plug any holes in your influence set, but the issue remains that a believer is almost always useless because using him or her for their intended cult job will almost always result in losing them, and named cultists are finite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
man, it takes a real piece of work to look at something like sunless sea and be all "hmm yes, what this needs is less gameplay and more grind. also it should be more obtuse."

• Locked thread