Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The_Doctor posted:

I don't think insanity is a necessary part. Look at Delgado.

It would be weird for the Master to regenerate sane after all she's been through though. You don't just shake off being a CGI snake.

Plus I'm a fan of the idea that the Time Lords had a good reason for the regeneration limit, not just arbitrary dickishness. It could be that after too many regenerations there is inevitable degeneration. If anyone has had too many regenerations it is the Master. The Doctor is just one over the limit and he had a hell of a hard time pulling himself together this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

He sounds exactly like John Cleese.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Angela Christine posted:

Plus I'm a fan of the idea that the Time Lords had a good reason for the regeneration limit, not just arbitrary dickishness. It could be that after too many regenerations there is inevitable degeneration. If anyone has had too many regenerations it is the Master. The Doctor is just one over the limit and he had a hell of a hard time pulling himself together this time.

I dunno, he still had an easier time than Five after his regeneration went bonkers and Six after having his regeneration tained by horrible poison and ending up with a psychotic break. I think Twelve's situation is the opposite: he's completely rebooted as far as Time Lord lifecycles go, so he's not even sure what his baseline personality and motivations are anymore, let alone the newly regenerated version. I think he finally starts putting it all together in Mummy on the Orient Express.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

When they brought Rassilon back for the Time War, he eliminated his lock on the eternal life power so that he could grant it to the Master, and the Time Lords later used it on the Doctor too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bicyclops posted:

When they brought Rassilon back for the Time War, he eliminated his lock on the eternal life power so that he could grant it to the Master, and the Time Lords later used it on the Doctor too.

It was within the Time Lords' power to do that already; that was the reward they promised the Master for helping them in "The Five Doctors".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

It was within the Time Lords' power to do that already; that was the reward they promised the Master for helping them in "The Five Doctors".

The Five Doctors is the one where they find the temple where Rassilon gives them that power, though.

Really, the regeneration limit is a plot device to punish the Master (and later Borusa) for seeking immortality, so I sort of don't care how they end up getting around it, particularly since The Deadly Assassin and The Five Doctors are not exactly my favorite stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I am a HUGE fan of Robot of Sherwood, it's a tremendously fun episode.

cargohills posted:

Is the beheading still cut out in the series 8 DVDs?

Yes.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm going to take the occasion of the Big Finish Peter Davison sale to post some of my tiny reviews of those stories! I've been doing them for the past couple months but they're not long or detailed or substantial or anything so I haven't really felt comfortable just posting them willy-nilly. I've mostly just been doing it so I can quickly refer back to what a particular story was like. I didn't actually have much to say about the ones I reviewed, though, since they were both short story collections. I listened to both The Haunting of Thomas Brewster and Time Reef before I started doing reviews, and I remember liking both of them. Thomas Brewster sort of rides the line of obnoxiousness but never crosses over into it.

BF 142-The Demons of Red Lodge and Other Stories

Four short stories featuring the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa. Big Finish's short collections are almost always great and this is no exception. Only the first story is somewhat disappointing, but that is only in comparison to the other three. The second story gets some fun jokes out of music history, the third has a wealth of ideas and a fun running gag with Nyssa trying to get arrested. The fourth is probably the best, where the Doctor is recording a DVD commentary over a movie in which he and Nyssa inadvertently featured. A-.

BF 168-1001 Nights

Another short story collection, this time with three stories and a frame store riffing on, unsurprisingly, the tale of Scheherazade. That frame story, though it comes to an interesting conclusion, is a bit disappointing as the final part of the story, but the other short stories are all fine as usual. More impressively, the stories all share some themes which become apparent in the final part, helping to pick up the slack a bit. B.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Rochallor posted:

BF 142-The Demons of Red Lodge and Other Stories

Four short stories featuring the Fifth Doctor and Nyssa. Big Finish's short collections are almost always great and this is no exception. Only the first story is somewhat disappointing, but that is only in comparison to the other three. The second story gets some fun jokes out of music history, the third has a wealth of ideas and a fun running gag with Nyssa trying to get arrested. The fourth is probably the best, where the Doctor is recording a DVD commentary over a movie in which he and Nyssa inadvertently featured. A-.

Yes, this is one I enjoy. Especially the 4th, also when you realise that they inadvertantly appeared in the film which is based on the first story of the audio.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

The Five Doctors is the one where they find the temple where Rassilon gives them that power, though.

Really, the regeneration limit is a plot device to punish the Master (and later Borusa) for seeking immortality, so I sort of don't care how they end up getting around it, particularly since The Deadly Assassin and The Five Doctors are not exactly my favorite stories.

Wasn't it a plot device designed to be able to go "oh yeah there were these 9 other guys and Tom Baker is the last, show's over, bye"?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In retrospect most of what I remember about Robot of Sherwood was Clara having fun playing in costume and that may be enough.

Also it's the episode where the Doctor complains about being imprisoned with a laughing person and my gf said "I love the new grumpy Doctor!"

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dabir posted:

Wasn't it a plot device designed to be able to go "oh yeah there were these 9 other guys and Tom Baker is the last, show's over, bye"?

The Morbius Doctors thing, where there were another secret 9 Doctors running around previously, is kinda weird because Robert Holmes was the one one who ever did anything with it, and also that thread resolves itself anyway. I doubt Terrance Dicks cared about it when he was writing The Five Doctors.

It goes basically like this:

The Brain of Morbius--Tom Baker is the Secret 13th Doctor.

The Deadly Assassin--The 13th life is the last life.

The Caves of Androzani--Davison isn't sure if he's gonna regenerate because it "feels different this time." He does anyway, but with a weird hallucination sequence, and then he has the worst case of regeneration hangover we've ever seen.

So at least in Holmes' eyes, that plot point was finished when Five somehow beat the regeneration limit. Colin Baker being a bit crazy was the result of that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well sure, nobody cared about the secret 9 faces thing, but that is why the limit was invented, right?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dabir posted:

Well sure, nobody cared about the secret 9 faces thing, but that is why the limit was invented, right?

I figure the limit probably came about because Holmes needed a reason for the Master to be all skeleton-y when he came back in The Deadly Assassin and that was the first thing he thought of. Then later he realized that Five was the last regeneration, under his own rules, and so he decided to address it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rochallor posted:

I figure the limit probably came about because Holmes needed a reason for the Master to be all skeleton-y when he came back in The Deadly Assassin and that was the first thing he thought of. Then later he realized that Five was the last regeneration, under his own rules, and so he decided to address it.

DId he really though? Like I realize that he's mentioned that before, but was JNT involved in that process or was it all Holmes headcannon or something?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
JNT, to my knowledge, didn't get involved in Who until well after Corpse Master reared his head.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

DId he really though? Like I realize that he's mentioned that before, but was JNT involved in that process or was it all Holmes headcannon or something?

All Holmes headcanon, it's basically the same thing as Andrew Cartmel and the Looms stuff - allusions were made to the bigger stories they were looking at telling, but where Cartmel just never got a chance to do it, Holmes "did it" without explicitly coming out and straight up saying this was what was intended, and everybody else after that pretty much ignored the "the Doctor had secret lives before Hartnell" stuff, which is good.

Of all the little continuity-nod stuff that was done in the classic show, my favorite remains the introduction during Pertwee's era of the reference to a mentor-figure who gave him guidance on one particularly bad day, who actually shows up later at the end of the Pertwee era to one again provide him moral support. That mentor figure had a very unique method of dealing with his own regeneration, and that actually got subtly referenced 7 years later at the end of the Tom Baker era, with the Doctor/Watcher figures being a more primitive version of the K'anpo/Cho-Je pairing from Planet of the Spiders.

it was kind of neat how one group of showrunners messing around with some ideas about Buddhism ended up looping back around to the end of a very different era of the show.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Burkion posted:

JNT, to my knowledge, didn't get involved in Who until well after Corpse Master reared his head.

While he wasn't involved in any meaningful sense (I think he was Production Unit Manager from Fang Rock onwards), JNT's first work on Doctor Who was on Troughton's Space Pirates and I believe he was involved in other positions.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

And the answer to the question we've all been wondering about, but too afraid to ask due to the sheer awesomeness of it is yes. Yes, they do.

Alex Mcqueen in DWM 484 posted:

I sat down with Peter Capadi two weeks ago for lunch, and I was telling him how much I enjoy it [playing the Master], and how it reminds me slightly of out Thick of It relationship, in which I dominate him in some ways, even though he's a really powerful figure in that series

God, I wish there was a transcript of that discussion.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Davros1 posted:

And the answer to the question we've all been wondering about, but too afraid to ask due to the sheer awesomeness of it is yes. Yes, they do.

God, I wish there was a transcript of that discussion.

I wish we had that in the series proper instead of the Mistress.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As much as I dig Alex McQueen, I'm very eager to see more of Michelle Gomez, she was great in the role and her scenes with Capaldi were even better.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

As much as I dig Alex McQueen, I'm very eager to see more of Michelle Gomez, she was great in the role and her scenes with Capaldi were even better.

Someone get Jamie Mathieson to write The Two Masters, stat.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Someone get Jamie Mathieson to write The Two Masters, stat.

I remember reading somewhere that, possibly Terrance Dicks but I'm not sure, once had the idea of a renegade Time Lord who ran around with all of his incarnations at once in a gang.

Clearly this must happen with every surviving actor who has ever portrayed the Master, and I suppose we could round out the difference with CGI snakes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

docbeard posted:

I remember reading somewhere that, possibly Terrance Dicks but I'm not sure, once had the idea of a renegade Time Lord who ran around with all of his incarnations at once in a gang.

Lawrence Miles uses that idea in his two book EDA, Interference. The Time Lord known as I. M. Foreman (yeah yeah) travels with his freakshow all over the universe. The inhabitants of it are all his other incarnations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

As always, it's very important in any proposed multi-Master story that the Masters attempt to double-cross each other, and super-important that the younger one somehow come out on top much to the surprise and indignation of the older.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I mean, that's one possibility. The other option is that the Master's egotism makes them get along perfectly - which I'm pretty sure was a plot point in The End of Time, or else was mentioned in The Writer's Tale.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I would love to see a Master incarnation with a full-blown companion. Someone who's just twisted enough that the Master considers not killing them once his/her plan is complete.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I would love to see a Master incarnation with a full-blown companion. Someone who's just twisted enough that the Master considers not killing them once his/her plan is complete.

That's right. Considers.

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

CobiWann posted:

In the unofficial short story "Masters of Terror" the Master invited H.P. Lovecraft to travel with him after the two dealt with some old-school Silurians in a swamp. :cthulhu:

http://www.drwhoguide.com/perfect1.htm

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nocturne is a rather odd story, touching in its own way but suffering from a lack of any real standout features. Ostensibly a story about how art and beauty can grow out of horror and despair, it's a story with a surprisingly downbeat and oddly un-Doctor like resolution to the main peril. The supporting characters are mostly one-dimensional (but enjoyable), while a supposed quasi-romantic subplot between Ace and one of them feels detached and not particularly earned, while Hex is his usual pleasant and helpful self but doesn't particularly do anything of any great relevance. Probably the most memorable feature of the story comes from the Doctor's realization that his love of keeping things close to his chest and sniffing out trouble even when he hasn't been actively looking for it has a very real cost, and that his actions are unfair towards his companions.

On the colony-world of Nocturne in the city of Glasst, a great Renaissance of art, music, literature, philosophy etc has grown out of a horrible long-running war against an alien race. It is a time and place that the 7th Doctor considers one of his favorites, admitting that the human race has a history of reacting to the horror of war with some great artistic achievements. In Glasst, he is able to surround himself with creators, with people who believe in art and beauty, in peace and cooperation, in the glory of the act of creation. Unfortunately for him, his return coincides with the failure of a grand (and secret) experiment by a young music student, accidentally unleashing a "bioharmonic" creature that is attracted to the act of creation, but brings only death and destruction in its wake - it is by its nature a discordant, destructive thing and - though not intentional, malicious or even technically sapient - it threatens to destroy everything beautiful and good about Glaast, everything that has grown out of the death and destruction of the great war.

The Doctor has been to Glaast many times before through his various incarnations, and he has friends there who know him no matter what face he is currently wearing. He introduces Hex and Ace to some of them at a nightclub run by an enthusiastic if utterly awful poet named Ragpole, and rather cheekily convinces them to gatecrash another old friend's house to have an all-night party. The Doctor is almost childishly happy as he gets "the old gang" back together, like that one friend who shows up back in town and convinces everybody to act like they did when they were kids, and soon everybody is gathered at the home of the great composer Korbin Thessenger getting drunk and telling stories. When the lights go out, the Doctor discovers one of the "Familiars" is malfunctioning, not knowing that this is due to it taking part in the failed student - Lomas - experiment and expresses his distaste for the automaton.

The Familiars are a constant presence throughout the story, to the point that it seems there MUST be something going on there... and there isn't. The Doctor comments frequently about how you can't trust the robot Familiars, that there is too much scope for things to go wrong. The Familiar in Autonomous mode demonstrates an ability to widely interpret its functions, and at one point in the story the Doctor and Ragpole are menaced by malfunctioning Familiars driven insane by the Bioharmonic Creature which demonstrates they can and will attack human beings given the right circumstances. After the Doctor has all the Familiars shut down to prevent them from being corrupted in a similar fashion during his attempt to lure the Creature into a trap, one still shows up at an inopportune time much to the Doctor's alarm.... and then absolutely nothing happens with them. At all. I guess this was all intended as a red herring and I guess in that case it worked pretty well... but it does mean that almost everything about the Familiars is a complete waste of time that goes nowhere and has no impact on anything. Probably the only really meaningful moment comes when Ace complains grumpily about the fact all the Familiars are designed to look like shapely women because men find it more comfortable to be served by them.

The Doctor sends Hex off with painter Lilian Dillane to collect another artist called Moray to join the party, but when they arrive they find Moray murdered and his lodgings set on fire. Despite feeling an overriding sense of horror and panic permeating from the scene, Hex forces himself to overcome it in order to try and save Moray (not knowing he's already dead), a decision that causes him to be arrested by the Overwatch Commander, who assumes he murdered Moray and set the fire to try and cover his tracks. The Commander - Cate Reeney - is a particularly annoying character, perhaps intentionally so (which doesn't make it any better) as she grumpily insists that Hex is guilty, and later does the same with the Doctor. Of course by our nature as listeners we KNOW they are not guilty, but the refusal to see them as anything other than criminals makes her seem petty rather than strong-minded, like she's after a scapegoat rather than an actual guilty party. This isn't helped by first Hex and then even the Doctor timidly sitting by and allowing her to just unload a long list of accusations made up of poorly connected "facts", jump wildly to conclusions and then work herself up to new accusations based on those "truths". This also makes her sudden decision to start assisting the Doctor feel like it comes out of nowhere, and she once again comes across less as a competent and dedicated officer as she does somebody desperately scrabbling to stay on top of things and sweep the messes she has to deal with under the rug.

While Hex is first accused of crime and then set to work herding cats when he tries to get the temperamental artists to research the Doctor's suspicions, Ace is busy finding herself being courted by Will Alloran - twin brother of Lomas and one of Thessenger's star pupils - as he shows her the sights, talks about growing up on Nocturne, his brief and disastarous time on the frontlines of the war, and inadvertently reveals that he was the unknowing cause of the death and destruction currently plaguing the city. Ace talks a little about her own brother (I've still not heard The Rapture and as far as I know this is only the second reference in the entire show's history to this previously unknown and never seen again sibling) and flirts back with Will, but while the mild flirting feels rather natural between the two, the two share so little "screen"time that the depth of Ace's so-called feelings for Will later in the story really don't ring true at all (and must drive Hex mad! :3:). Ace is almost the victim of the creature herself, and gets sidelined for awhile until the climax where she wakes up and becomes involved in the big showdown, during which she makes some rather bizarre accusations against Thessenger that seem to come out of nowhere. When all is said and done, the Doctor reveals that Thessenger does something truly heartwarming, and that is a pleasant surprise for Ace.... but why? None of her few encounters with Thessenger give her any reason to make the accusations that she does, and nothing about the way he acts gives her any reason to be surprised by what he ends up doing. It seems like an artificial attempt to inject some drama into the story, and it feels unnatural.

What also feels unnatural is how the Doctor wraps up the storyline. He comes up with a way to destroy the creature, as well as a way to guide its path into the trap he is setting (involving a hilarious bit with Ragpole's poetry). But when he reveals the plan, Lilian questions the morality of "murdering" a living act of creation and the Doctor explains there is no other way. Perhaps I've allowed some of the more explicit themes of the revival to color my views, but the Doctor not knowing any other way other than murder to deal with a new creation (which didn't ask to be created and is a victim of its own nature) strikes me as wrong, as does the fact he eventually goes through it apparently without a moment's hesitation. Though he does admit that he wishes there could have been a better way, it's a shame that this comes across more as the "safe" philosophical pondering of a man who already did the foul deed before stopping to acknowledge that maybe it wasn't necessarily the "right" thing to do. Similarly, Lilian's own blind and stupid attempts to get in the way of this plan seem to come out of nowhere, and there is something a trifle condescending about the Doctor telling the other artists to "forgive" her for her actions. I said that maybe I'm letting the revival color my thinking about how the Doctor does things, but then again it was the classic series that gave us the "Do I have the right?" agonizing of the 4th Doctor.

Nocturne has its heart in the right place, and it delivers a competent enough story. But it fails to really standout in any way, offers some frustrating red-herrings, doesn't develop its supporting characters beyond the flat, broad strokes of their first appearances, and tries to make a romantic subplot with real impact but fails to penetrate anywhere beneath the surface level. The Doctor acts somewhat out of character, though he is saved by the neat moment between he and Ace where he apologizes for the attitude that she and Hex were jokingly mocking to start the story, as well as the rather touching notion of Glaast being a place where he comes to enjoy the company of artists, to drink and laugh and talk philosophy with others, to debate and discuss with no deeper ulterior motive than his love of human creativity. It's just a pity that THIS particular act of creation - the audio itself - can't raise up above the mediocre. But, like Ragpole with his poetry, at least it tried.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

A very happy birthday to Peter Capaldi today. :toot:

Let's hope he sticks around for a couple of years, at least.

e: Oh, and Christopher Eccleston gave a very good interview addressing some of his complaints with Doctor Who, while bearing it no ill will:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-04-14/christopher-eccleston-why-my-doctor-had-to-be-northern

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 14, 2015

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

A very happy birthday to Peter Capaldi today. :toot:

Let's hope he sticks around for a couple of years, at least.

e: Oh, and Christopher Eccleston gave a very good interview addressing some of his complaints with Doctor Who, while bearing it no ill will:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-04-14/christopher-eccleston-why-my-doctor-had-to-be-northern

One, happy birthday to the Doctor!

Two, is "Northern" a thing in the United Kingdom like "Southern" is a thing in the United States?

Three, in the event of my death, I have arranged for my best friend to run into my funeral dressed in a bowtie and a fez (with her sister alongside of her in a red wig and policewoman’s outfit, negotiations pending), point a sonic screwdriver at my coffin, and proclaim to the mourners “ok, everyone, this is where it gets a bit weird.”

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The North of England is a much poorer (and colder) part of the country. This has left it regarded as uncultured and stupid by southerners who have never been north of the Watford Gap. That government policy for the last thirty years has seemingly been designed to gently caress over the North is, of course, coincidence.

eg for attitude http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2656705.stm

The South is a different kettle of fish, what with it being incredibly politically important for a hundred years or more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regional accents are almost always a class issue, aren't they? I sort of self-trained out of having my Boston accent and when I'm with my parents, it turns back on, but if I try to consciously turn it on in front of people who didn't grow up with it, I always feel embarrassed and ignorant, like I'm making fun of my own intelligence. I get irrationally upset when people try to claim that nobody uses the lexicon anymore, too, because it feels like my family is invisible sometimes.

I don't know that I agree with Eccleston that it's gotten worse recently, but it certainly hasn't gotten much better.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Regional accents are almost always a class issue, aren't they? I sort of self-trained out of having my Boston accent and when I'm with my parents, it turns back on, but if I try to consciously turn it on in front of people who didn't grow up with it, I always feel embarrassed and ignorant, like I'm making fun of my own intelligence. I get irrationally upset when people try to claim that nobody uses the lexicon anymore, too, because it feels like my family is invisible sometimes.

I don't know that I agree with Eccleston that it's gotten worse recently, but it certainly hasn't gotten much better.

Yeah, regional accents in the UK are especially loaded with class and intelligence connotations. I read one linguistic study that featured several groups of college students receiving the same lecture from the same teacher: for some groups he'd use his natural Mancunian accent, and for others he'd speak in Received Pronunciation. The groups that received the lecture in Mancunian consistently rated the teacher as less intelligent, less informative and less able at his profession than those that heard the same man give the same lecture in RP. It wasn't so long ago, a matter of a few decades, that you literally weren't allowed to be a correspondent on a BBC news program unless you spoke in RP.

What Eccleston's referring to in regards to it having gotten worse, at least in part, is the fact buzzing around in the UK media lately that so many up-and-coming actors are the product of an elite public school education and buckets of money. The upper crust has always been a disproportionate part of the flock in acting, but the inequality in that area is growing: Cumberbatch, Redmayne, even the lovable ones like Sophie Turner and Alfie Allen. Many of them have parents who are or were in the business, and almost all of them have had a huge familial pocketbook making sure they get the best opportunities from birth. Like he says in the interview, it's not their fault personally, but it's indicative of a worrying trend.

Compare that to actors like Eccleston who come from a working class background and don't have a smooth, acceptable London accent, and it's easy to see why some people are worried or annoyed. The field of opportunity in acting for people who don't have every privilege is narrowing.

e: I self-trained out of using my own Scottish accent at the age of sixteen, so haha, I know where you're coming from on this. It's rough out there!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wow. I never knew it was like that…then again, I live in Washington where we have all kinds of accents, so I guess I never really noticed. When I first moved here from Pittsburgh my roommate, who was the very definition of “Southern Alabama,” asked me what the hell was up with MY accent.

So my next question – what’s the difference between “Northern accent” and “Scottish accent?”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Wow. I never knew it was like that…then again, I live in Washington where we have all kinds of accents, so I guess I never really noticed. When I first moved here from Pittsburgh my roommate, who was the very definition of “Southern Alabama,” asked me what the hell was up with MY accent.

So my next question – what’s the difference between “Northern accent” and “Scottish accent?”

Northern encompasses anything from Manchester (Eccleston), Liverpool (Craig Charles/Lister - Red Dwarf), Yorkshire (Brian Glover - Attack of the Cybermen) to Newcastle/Geordie. Scottish is Karen Gillan/Capald/Moffat.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 14, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There's also the whole estuary v. cockney thing that comes up whenever Tennant is discussed. Come to think of it, Wendy Padbury talked about having to train herself into RP in her interview with Nick Briggs on one of her audios. I want to say it was one of the ones where she wasn't playing Zoe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I have a Belfast accent which makes me sound like an untrustworthy criminal, a terrorist or possibly a crooked human rights lawyer who is an apologist for terrorists (like all people from Northern Ireland). I've been thinking of going in for speech therapy to correct it. Either that or get Sir Kenneth to share his antidote with me.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CobiWann posted:

Northern accent refers to the north of England.

Also note to any yanks, since Android Blues mentioned these posh actors like Cumberbatch going to public schools- that means the opposite over here to what it does in America. Public school means a private fee paying school. Our equivalent to your public schools, the places normal people go to school, we call state schools.

• Locked thread